• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomski

Xun said:
I seem to recall hearing Minecraft is very badly coded, so don't be so sure about that.
If you are running in 64 bit windows make sure to have Java 64-bit installed or atleats make sure it is up to date. I got all sorts of crashes using the wrong version.

Since I have done that I have rarely got any crashes unless I installed a bad mod.

itxaka

Defeatist
DrEvil said:
same as the old gafland.

quote to view...

Trying to log in I get a connection refused?

And with Exano's I get a time out.

Something must be wrong on my side no? Any ports that need to be open or something?

ZZMitch

Mudkips said:
Do you have a reason for thinking that?
This is the only thing I crash in. I thought I was crashing because of my overclock, so I backed off a bit, but I still crashed. Then I backed off a lot, and I still crashed. I'm totally stable in everything else, including StarCraft II, Dead Space 2, DCUO, x264 encode jobs that take 3 days, Prime95, etc.

Well I have run Prime95/Kombuster/Memtest... and haven't had any issues either. Just my computer will randomly freeze up, maybe it is Minecraft I dunno. But my computer has recently had trouble even booting up so for me atleast I don't think it is Minecraft. Maybe a PSU issue or something? I don't know how to test that.

Rapstah

itxaka said:
Trying to log in I get a connection refused?

And with Exano's I get a time out.

Something must be wrong on my side no? Any ports that need to be open or something?
I kept getting time outs on Exano's too a couple of hours ago, worked after a couple of tries.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
For the record, I'm playing Minecraft on a MBP and the game has been getting less and less stable, with each release. It's gotten to the point where it keeps me away from playing. Because it doesn't just crash my game, it crashes the whole machine, and I have to manually restart.

I love Minecraft and I love Notch, but I'd be lying if I haven't been getting pretty exasperated with the way things have gone, since the game blew up last summer.

The more popular Minecraft got, the less and less frequent updates became. It used to be, you'd fire up Minecraft and suddenly there would be cows. Now weeks or months pass between updates. Plus, the features that ARE added are frequently buggy, and seem to be making the game less stable.

It's like the worst of both worlds. We've been getting slower updates that are less stable.

Plus Notch has started work on a second game. I know he isn't lead on it, but trust me... I work in product management. Even if he spends 10% of his time on game2, it is serving as a more than 10% distraction.

I don't want to complain too much, though. Because the bottom line is I paid ~$13 for Minecraft, and I got my money's worth out of it in that first month of release. All my play time since then has been gravy.

itxaka

Defeatist
Rapstah said:
I kept getting time outs on Exano's too a couple of hours ago, worked after a couple of tries.

Yeah it finally worked. And I was astounded of all the work there. Incredibly work guys, the tram is awesome and all the buildings are incredible.

Blizzard

Banned
I hope that Notch and his programming cohorts do add stability and latency improvements where possible, along with lowering the server-hosting requirements.

Perhaps those are pipe dreams but they would be a huge bonus besides whatever other features get added along the way.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
If you guys ever have connection problems to thespot's proxy, you can connect to gafland directly with the alternate address..

quote to view... no port number needed

Atomski

wwm0nkey said:
To be fair I dont think notch will EVER release Minecraft for the 360 so this is fine with me.
Hate how the blocks are kinda hd, but I'd love to see more fluid water in minecraft. I hope someday there is a version of minecraft thats not using java.

wwm0nkey

Atomski said:
Hate how the blocks are kinda hd, but I'd love to see more fluid water in minecraft. I hope someday there is a version of minecraft thats not using java.
Sadly Notch loves himself some Java :(

Would be great if he would see how a different version would work or something.

I actually wouldn't mind a console Minecraft. I think it could work, and it would be sweet for me because my laptop can barely run Minecraft. :/

Twig

Banned
Atomski said:
I like the blockiness of the water - it suits the world - but I'd love to see reflections, and maybe splash effects when something jumps in or out.

And officially supported ambient occlusion, while we're wishlisting it up. And other such neat effects that don't change the style of the game, but do give it more FLASH.

Blizzard

Banned
Blue_Gecko said:
This is awesome.
What's unfortunate is that people like you and Twig who post responses like this can get on the GAF Minecraft servers since they don't even use a whitelist. I seem to recall that gafland got griefed with lava a month or two ago.

If you burn down my fort (which consists of nothing but walls of sand), I will be very put out. :mad:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:
What's unfortunate is that people like you and Twig who post responses like this can get on the GAF Minecraft servers since they don't even use a whitelist. I seem to recall that gafland got griefed with lava a month or two ago.

If you burn down my fort (which consists of nothing but walls of sand), I will be very put out. :mad:
We could put some lava next to your fort so it turns to glass :D

That is how it works, right, sand under lava turns to glass? Been a while

Enco

Sofo said:
Sorry for the late reply, I had my last final today! First off, thanks for the reply but I think I worded it wrong. I was referring if there's a way to play like when you play it on the browser, being able to put as many blocks as you can without having to mine (so you can actually just build a map and make a maze, in example). Is there a chance to do that in the full version?

Thanks a lot! (I'm really just about to buy it and jump on GAFland, that'd be awesome :) )
You can't get unlimited blocks, no.

You'll have to keep putting in commands to give yourself a complete stack at a time (64 for most blocks).

Possibly with mods you can but I'm not sure.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Enco said:
You can't get unlimited blocks, no.

You'll have to keep putting in commands to give yourself a complete stack at a time (64 for most blocks).

Possibly with mods you can but I'm not sure.
save editors can give more than 64 blocks per stack too.

wwm0nkey

-Yeti said:
I actually wouldn't mind a console Minecraft. I think it could work, and it would be sweet for me because my laptop can barely run Minecraft. :/
I think Notch should look into getting a few other people to try to make a console version and if it works keep on going with it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
wwm0nkey said:
Sadly Notch loves himself some Java :(

Would be great if he would see how a different version would work or something.

I'm just now learning C#, and it seems like anything that you could like about Java is also within C#, and also some other stuff that makes it even better than Java. And honestly, it'd actually be fairly easy for him to switch over, since C# is so syntactically similar to Java.

There has to be something I'm missing. Some sort of drawback or something. Because thus far for me, it's like Java, but better.

Blizzard

Banned
ZealousD said:
I'm just now learning C#, and it seems like anything that you could like about Java is also within C#, and also some other stuff that makes it even better than Java. And honestly, it'd actually be fairly easy for him to switch over, since C# is so syntactically similar to Java.

There has to be something I'm missing. Some sort of drawback or something. Because thus far for me, it's like Java, but better.
Java's nicely multiplatform. C# has made inroads on Mac and Linux as far as I know, but doing smooth crossplatform 3D there might not be as easy, and Notch would have to learn them.

I thought one of the Minecraft clones, maybe a semi-open-source one, used C#.

wwm0nkey

ZealousD said:

He should just make that FortressCraft the official console version of minecraft if he doesnt want to port it over to C# lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Blizzard said:
Java's nicely multiplatform. C# has made inroads on Mac and Linux as far as I know, but doing smooth crossplatform 3D there might not be as easy, and Notch would have to learn them.

Admittedly I haven't really done 3D graphics programming in either, and I haven't really messed around with the multiplatform stuff either.

But I'm just loving some of the stuff that's available with C#. Using properties is so awesome. Really cuts out a lot of the boilerplate of using get/set methods if you're encapsulating your stuff. Guess that wouldn't really help him if he was porting over his Java code, though.

Kalnos

Banned
ZealousD said:
Really cuts out a lot of the boilerplate of using get/set methods if you're encapsulating your stuff.

Getters/setters provide encapsulation in theory... 99% of the time they're used to break encapsulation though. People rely on them far too much IMO, if you want to be an OOP purist, anyway.

With that said, I also really enjoy programming in C#. Visual Studio C# has awesome intellisense features, the language is easy to use, and the syntax looks clean to me for some reason. The only thing that bothers me is not having control of memory at certain times... the garbage collector is very sporadic.

Exano

Neo Member
Just finished the western train station that goes to the Snow biome on the survival server, if anybody wants to start building and mining over there :) The stations due west of spawn with a yellow path.

Rapstah

Exano said:
Just finished the western train station that goes to the Snow biome on the survival server, if anybody wants to start building and mining over there :) The stations due west of spawn with a yellow path.
No interconnectivity between the spawn/north line and this new one?

EDIT: Someone might have griefed the new stations already, there's a hole in the spawn end and missing stairs in the east end. As far as I can tell the mechanisms still work though.

Holepunch

Just spent the last half hour exploring GAFland...

I...just can't get over how amazing everything is. Every structure built so much more intricately designed and done to proportions I wouldn't even have been able to envision. All of which pieced together with resources I would never manage to gather. I honestly can't even see myself contributing if this is the standard I have to keep up with.

every time I get on spot's gafland I seem to be the only one connected :(

And then I can't do anything because it kicks me after about 2 minutes.

Do people only do the new one now? not that I don't like the new one of course, but my pyramid...

Exano

Neo Member
Rapstah said:
EDIT: Someone might have griefed the new stations already, there's a hole in the spawn end and missing stairs in the east end. As far as I can tell the mechanisms still work though.
s.

Yeah no, I haven't prettied up the stations yet. I just have the rails and mechanism's working, i'll finish them up tonight :) I am going to make a small connection between the two, as well. Eventually i'll make 4 total stations at spawn, and 8 substations outside.
I one-upped your cottages, btw ;)

kennah

Holepunch said:
Just spent the last half hour exploring GAFland...

I...just can't get over how amazing everything is. Every structure built so much more intricately designed and done to proportions I wouldn't even have been able to envision. All of which pieced together with resources I would never manage to gather. I honestly can't even see myself contributing if this is the standard I have to keep up with.
I wouldn't worry too much, it just takes practice. One thing I do is explore and gather resources for stuff, it can be very satisfying. And build, then tear it down, and build again.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Also, Gafland is experience some kind of routing issues.. ping times are unbelievably high right now.. support is looking into it.

Articalys

Yeah, people in Exano's server last night briefly discussed how to name it to differentiate it from spot's... I think the conclusion reached was "GAFland survival".

Twig

Banned
Which one is the one DrEvil is hosting? U:

Which one is the one Exano is hosting? U:

I thought DrEvil was taking over coolspot's, which was what I thought the new survival server was, but I connected to it last night and it wasn't the server n0b was in, which WAS survival.

I am so confused.

I AM SO CONFUSED.

A suggestion for Exano's server: could we please have it enabled for users to set a /home?

The place I started to build at was quite far from the spawn (which is really messed up it seems like) and sometimes I'll die before I can even get back if it's at night.

Exano

Neo Member
Blue_Gecko said:
A suggestion for Exano's server: could we please have it enabled for users to set a /home?

The place I started to build at was quite far from the spawn (which is really messed up it seems like) and sometimes I'll die before I can even get back if it's at night.

Okay, at the moment we're building a spelltower. You can learn how to cast mark and recall there. Mark costs you 1 iron and 30 redstone, and it marks your house. Recall costs 10 redstone, and it recalls you to the marked location.

That and subway terminals will be the only type of /home this server will have I believe. But it may change in the future :)

We're kind in the mindset of nothing should be free, it all should be earned, so its hard trying to find a balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom