• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exano

Neo Member
BobTheFork said:
Thanks. Still having the issue but I think it's my touchpad on my laptop. I've never liked these things and I think it's screwing up the game somehow. I've been trying to get a mini ball or finger mouse.

Microsoft sells like a $20 mini mouse that is phenomenal, they sell it at best buy. I've used it for a good while now, reccomend it to everyone. Otherwise you'll have a hard time playing I think.

Now, I present to you, the last two maps without the 3d rendering.

First Up: New map Here

Also: Current and Future Railroads

WillyFive

Blizzard said:
Yeah, be extremely careful with lava. Not only is it a limited resource like iron (perhaps even more so?), but it can catch wood (and cloth?) on fire from two squares away, so it needs to be contained very carefully.

You can't make an infinite pool like you can with water?

Bradlums said:
Penguinking just finished making a mob grinder in my basement. You should come check it out. To get to my house from spawn go through the giant sandstone gate and look to the left. You should see a house surrounded by cactus on top of a hill. Go into my basement and follow the signs. After standing at the collection point for a few minutes, all of a sudden a steady stream of mob drops will appear. In less than five minutes I collected about 40 sulphur, 30 arrows, 30 bones, 20 feathers, and about 15 string.

Sounds great! I'll check it out and see how I can replicate it when the server starts letting me enter again.

Falt

My brother's first "night" on Exano's server. In a 2x1 hole with spiders on top.

chainoh.jpg

Perfect caption is perfect.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've started cleaning the area around the spawn (more specifically, around the yellow path), and that will also be my project tomorrow.

Any help filling the Creeper holes would be awesome :D

Exano

Neo Member
Anybody down to undertake a big project
with me that will require organization?

Let's try and make east point a greek/roman themed environment, with all connected structures and themes.

Inkwell

Banned
Exano said:

Let's try and make east point a greek/roman themed environment, with all connected structures and themes.
I think that's a great idea. It would be fun as a community project.

Xun

Exano said:

I'm up for that.

Otamin here.

Cyrillus

Exano said:

Uh oh, I just set up shop in the east point yesterday. Unless my mud hovel is considered Greek/Roman-themed, looks like I'll have to do some remodeling!

Still working on just mining/collecting materials at the moment, but I'd be happy to help build up east point in whatever small way I can.

Bradlums

Exano said:

Sounds like an excellent idea. I have umpteen stacks of cobble to donate for this project.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Built a community storage building just to the south east of spawn, Nothing great for now but I tried to get some stuff in. 35 stacks of cobble, and some other stuff like wood, dirt, gravel, some coal and red stone, some wheat and sugar, a few common dyes and wool, ect. Should be useful, just drop off what you can, and pick up what you need. Maybe tomorrow I'll build some more floors for stuff like a large furnace room, additional storage (I think it would be best to try and have some of everything accessible at the top, and keep anything we have a lot of extra on different floors), and I can try and weave a basic subway around everything else that would go from the main terminal to the storage room (Something like I have at my sugar farm at west point. Put cart down, push button, and go to the other side, no super fancy system like the main railway stations)

Rapstah

Exano, since from what I understand you are the only one on the server who can use flint and tinder, can you please ignite the log in the middle of my temple right outside of East Point?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, I think I know how I am going to expand the Community Storage, I am going to dig up a large area underground, and fill it with lots and lots of chests. Going to carve out a 32x32x4 area, and leave a 3 setion between the ground floor and the underground to allow for celling based lighting. Once the section is dug out, I'll devide it up into 9 rooms, make the center room hold a bunch of furnaces, and have the other 8 rooms hold chests (6 double chests per wall, for each of the 4 wall per the 8 rooms, making 384 chest blocks needed)

pirata

Sorry I haven't been on lately, guys. Classes/sickness/other business have gotten in the way. Maybe someday I'll actually finish the first part of my sand palace...but it requires so much sand, and I don't want to desand the entire spawn desert :(

Exano

Neo Member
pirata said:
Sorry I haven't been on lately, guys. Classes/sickness/other business have gotten in the way. Maybe someday I'll actually finish the first part of my sand palace...but it requires so much sand, and I don't want to desand the entire spawn desert :(

Just head west, theres plenty of sand. A trick I like to use is to dig out the sand, fill a layer on the top with cobble or dirt and place a torch in the pit below it (to not spawn monsters) and then put sand on top of that, giving the appearance that nothings changed but in reality I harvested all the sand beneath the area

thespot84

Exano said:
Just head west, theres plenty of sand. A trick I like to use is to dig out the sand, fill a layer on the top with cobble or dirt and place a torch in the pit below it (to not spawn monsters) and then put sand on top of that, giving the appearance that nothings changed but in reality I harvested all the sand beneath the area

since you're already using torches, dig your way into the side of a desert (it's usually smooth stone under the sand. Using a torch, dig out the BOTTOM block of sand as as quickly as you can right click to put the torch in it's place. Most of the time the blocks on top will try to 'fall' but since they hit the torch they'll turn into blocks you can pick up and go straight into your inventory...

Exano

Neo Member
HappyBivouac said:
Anyone found a good way to enable hostile mobs in SMP without it lagging to hell? Besides "run the server on a kickass machine," that is.

No, its the way the mobs are coded at the moment.
I'm praying one two updates it'll be flawless.

I haven't been able to get online for a while. What is the server address?

If it's gafland.******.*** then that hasn't been working for me.

thespot84

ashbash159 said:
I haven't been able to get online for a while. What is the server address?

If it's gafland.******.*** then that hasn't been working for me.

that's been offline for a few days. Exano's server is the only gaf server for now, so look for his address (i don't know it off-hand)

wwm0nkey

You guys remember that 360 version of Minecraft called Fortress Craft?

Well people kept on thashing on him even though he made the code from ground up and to show one of the differences in the games he posted This Video.

He made those guys in 2 hours so they are no where close to final.

EDIT: for a better sense of how many there are watch THIS

Sofo

Mining around I found some big chunk of obsidian that I have no use for it (I don't even have a diamond tool to pick it up!). Thus, I'm posting here the coordinates of it, you can easily access it through my cabin's cave to mine in.

2011-02-16_15.44.49.png

Feel free to take it all, but please try not to disrupt it all too much. :)

Quote this for the coordinates!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Obsidian IMO is really easy to get. Just bring a bucket of water with you, and use it on any lava you see (Great for 'disarming' pools of lava too)

The real problem IMO is just mining the stuff out, it takes quiet a while.

Vlad

Drkirby said:
Obsidian IMO is really easy to get. Just bring a bucket of water with you, and use it on any lava you see (Great for 'disarming' pools of lava too)

The real problem IMO is just mining the stuff out, it takes quiet a while.

I know I've said it a million times, but I'll always maintain that a much better way to get obsidian is to just cast the stuff. Make a mold of dirt or something, pour lava into it, then dump water on the lava. It's a pain for large obsidian structures, but so is standing there hacking away at it forever with a diamond pick.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Vlad said:
I know I've said it a million times, but I'll always maintain that a much better way to get obsidian is to just cast the stuff. Make a mold of dirt or something, pour lava into it, then dump water on the lava. It's a pain for large obsidian structures, but so is standing there hacking away at it forever with a diamond pick.
Doesn't solve your problem when the obsidian is in a spot you are digging out. But your right, it takes forever to dig that stuff up, with the water flow to stop the lava that was around each brick.

ZZMitch

Ambient Occlusion Confirmed!

From Twitter:

jeb_ Jens Bergensten
Spent the morning fixing the leaking lights of the ambient occlusion stuff. An option to turn it off for speed became even more relevant

Best Update ever already!

Rapstah

Is ambient occlusion that blocks can have different shading inside them rather than being a single shade like currently? It's the only thing I can see being different in this comparison GIF I stumbled upon:

128874451941.gif

ZZMitch

Rapstah said:
Is ambient occlusion that blocks can have different shading inside them rather than being a single shade like currently? It's the only thing I can see being different in this comparison GIF I stumbled upon:

128874451941.gif

I think so. I just know that it looks a hell of a lot better with AO then without.

I am now progressing from peaceful to easy. It's a good balance between survival and not worrying about dying (I've only died once). All of my buildings and caves are in close proximity so I'm thinking of making a huge castle hub in the long run. If you've been playing on peaceful for over a month, it's time to move up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom