• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Captain Pants said:
That is infinitely cooler! Snap. I kinda regret buying that other shirt.

I got that one the other day, it's nice.

This one is cool too
levelupstudios-halolz-punchingtreeschestnut-450.jpg

Vlad

ZZMitch said:

Hm, very interesting.

Hopefully they're somewhat balanced, at least. One of the things I'd hate to see Minecraft lose its the tension that comes from the ever-present threat of death. If the beds are too easy to make/disposable, then you could theoretically carry the stuff to make one (or a bed itself, for that matter) into a cave with you, and when you're near death, just wall of a section, build a bed, and you've got an instant spawnpoint a lot closer to any potential death that awaits you.

Blizzard

Banned
Vlad said:
Hm, very interesting.

Hopefully they're somewhat balanced, at least. One of the things I'd hate to see Minecraft lose its the tension that comes from the ever-present threat of death. If the beds are too easy to make/disposable, then you could theoretically carry the stuff to make one (or a bed itself, for that matter) into a cave with you, and when you're near death, just wall of a section, build a bed, and you've got an instant spawnpoint a lot closer to any potential death that awaits you.
Or, they could make it an option.

Or, if you want to have "hardcore mode", you could refrain from building beds? :p

Askani

My 11 year old step daughter asked if she could try Minecraft for the first time last night. She sat down and looked around a little and asked me for help. She's not a PC game player and isn't really used to the right way to do WASD and a mouse. She asks me to get her started so I take the controls for a bit. I ask her were she wants her house and we pick a spot. A large sheer stone mountain with a sand "ground" level and pond. There's a little 4 block hill a few steps from the corner.

I mine out a large square room and build an outer wall with a door and windows, find some coal, get her some other materials, make her a chest, ect. She's freaked out about the zombies and skeletons and won't even venture near the windows at all. Finally, it's daytime and she decides she's brave and goes out side.

She's trying to figure something out and I catch the tiniest glimpse of Creeper feet running over the little hill in front of her house. I tell her and she gets panicked and looks down to place her fingers on the WASD keys. Then she hears the hiss. When she touches the mouse again and moves the camera, the screen is nothing but Creeper face and he explodes. She screams and jumps and the keyboard tray, keyboard, mouse and mouse pad in her lap go flying.

It was glorious.

Rapstah

What, a new launcher? Is that just a way of saying the new client version or are we getting a slightly different log-in manner?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Rapstah said:
What, a new launcher? Is that just a way of saying the new client version or are we getting a slightly different log-in manner?

This.

Direct Link Here

tumblr_lfdmbnIhPG1qzb7ox.png

Man, this game has such a similar rage curve to Demon's Soul's it's scary. I was just pissed when I started because I couldn't get anything accomplished by nighttime and it was just a slaughter when the mobs came out. Even after I discovered how to make a shovel or pick I couldn't kill anything and that was my biggest problem. BUT I managed to survive the way I'm sure most people do, in a tiny tiny wooden shack until the zombies burn in the sun. The second day I made a house with a furnace, then I made a glass ceiling so I could see the day.
When I got surrounded and couldn't leave I just started digging a hole in the corner and now I'm got an insane cavern/tunnel system dug out of this mountain. The moment I dug my way into a small cave with water that was already there I cheered.

Oh, this is probably a major sin, but after some serious time I finally got this thing mapped to my DualShock 3. The touch pad on this laptop is horrible to play with. You can ever map mouse movement to the tilt sensors, which is pretty cool. Plays great with a controller so far.

Articalys

BobTheFork said:
Man, this game has such a similar rage curve to Demon's Soul's it's scary. I was just pissed when I started because I couldn't get anything accomplished by nighttime and it was just a slaughter when the mobs came out. Even after I discovered how to make a shovel or pick I couldn't kill anything and that was my biggest problem. BUT I managed to survive the way I'm sure most people do, in a tiny tiny wooden shack until the zombies burn in the sun. The second day I made a house with a furnace, then I made a glass ceiling so I could see the day.
When I got surrounded and couldn't leave I just started digging a hole in the corner and now I'm got an insane cavern/tunnel system dug out of this mountain. The moment I dug my way into a small cave with water that was already there I cheered.

Oh, this is probably a major sin, but after some serious time I finally got this thing mapped to my DualShock 3. The touch pad on this laptop is horrible to play with. You can ever map mouse movement to the tilt sensors, which is pretty cool. Plays great with a controller so far.
How well does a controller work for the inventory screens? I've been trying to get a WiimoteMP+Nunchuk working for a bit, just for kicks, and that seems like the biggest concern even with motion controls.

Articalys said:
How well does a controller work for the inventory screens? I've been trying to get a WiimoteMP+Nunchuk working for a bit, just for kicks, and that seems like the biggest concern even with motion controls.
I imagine a controller would still be very different than using a Wii-mote with full motion sensors. So far I've found the controller works great for inventory. The tiny movements from square to square have not been an issue (mapped to right analog stick), and just having the clicks tied to a button has worked fine.

Articalys

BobTheFork said:
I imagine a controller would still be very different than using a Wii-mote with full motion sensors. So far I've found the controller works great for inventory. The tiny movements from square to square have not been an issue (mapped to right analog stick), and just having the clicks tied to a button has worked fine.
Are you using GlovePIE or some other sort of mapping program?

Articalys said:
Are you using GlovePIE or some other sort of mapping program?
It's called ControlMK. There exists a import file for using MineCraft on a DS3 but it made no sense to me and I thought it was horrible so I mapped my own setting.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Here are some of the things I have made on my server. Only two of us on it. My buddy and I.

Edit due to images not working.

5456860659_ec27b3b4df_b.jpg

5457468016_2fd7cd9189_b.jpg

5457468056_0fc9cbd87f_b.jpg

5457468100_21c977f308_b.jpg

5457468274_948049ea39_b.jpg

5456860701_9de4941eee_b.jpg

You had me at the Mooninites!
Question, I've only been playing for a few days so I don't know.
How do you get all the blocks in place right? is there a way to fly or float and put them there?
Also, how is the MP for this game? I know that's a broad question but I didn't even know there was MP when I bought it? Do you just build with a ton of other people? or kill them all?

BobTheFork said:
You had me at the Mooninites!
Question, I've only been playing for a few days so I don't know.
How do you get all the blocks in place right? is there a way to fly or float and put them there?
Also, how is the MP for this game? I know that's a broad question but I didn't even know there was MP when I bought it? Do you just build with a ton of other people? or kill them all?

What most people do is build scaffolding out of something like dirt, then you just remove it once your finished.

Usually once you try out multi you don't go back to single. As to what you do it depends on the server. All different types from PvP everything goes to purely creative ones where blocks are spawned and people just build structures and everything in between.

One that Exano runs for GAF is set up as a survival multiplayer server, similar to single player in that mobs are enabled and there is no spawning of items. No PvP unless you're in the designated area too. Just there are people building things across the land, walk by one area and there is nothing there and when you come back by in a couple days might be some awesome structure in that once barren spot.

Calm Killer

WolfofMebu said:
What most people do is build scaffolding out of something like dirt, then you just remove it once your finished.

Usually once you try out multi you don't go back to single. As to what you do it depends on the server. All different types from PvP everything goes to purely creative ones where blocks are spawned and people just build structures and everything in between.

One that Exano runs for GAF is set up as a survival multiplayer server, similar to single player in that mobs are enabled and there is no spawning of items. No PvP unless you're in the designated area too. Just there are people building things across the land, walk by one area and there is nothing there and when you come back by in a couple days might be some awesome structure in that once barren spot.

Yea, Pretty much what what he said. I use wood as scaffolding and then run up and down checking how it looks or where I screwed up. Then run back up and fix it. After I am done i take the wood down. My server is just me and my coworker. We can both spawn whatever we want. We started out as a legit server, meaning we would mine everything then use it to build. But that was taking so much time for some of the projects we wanted to do we just started spawning things. It takes so much time to do these big projects when its just you or two of you.

SumPog

Neo Member
1. Built a mansion on top of the highest mountain I could find.
2. Demolished the mountain
3. Made a massive staircase just to get to it
4. Surrounded the whole region with artistic lavafalls
5. Currently building a rollercoaster to weave between the lava. Going to be so good.

I suppose I'm not really doing much right now. I dug out a whole mountain under my first house. Then I read that you can go find mines with ore in them so I've just been looking around. I'm managed to make a few 'bases' and set up some torches to help me get around. What I really want to go is build a giant glass bridge connecting all the mountain tips my houses are on.

Exano

Neo Member
Atomski said:
Hopefully they look cool.. not as if the sleep mode will work online.

Truth, but it may give us an alternative way of spawning. And now my bed doesnt have to be a wool+halfstep+sign lookin mess ;)

I haven't played anything on PC on a long time so I could use some advice.

This game is just not running well enough for me, and when I connected to the GAF server, there's soo much stuff built I can barely move around.

The only thing I have is the laptop I bought recently, I3 with 4 gigs of ram. I already turned my control panel graphics settings to 'performance' over 'quality' and that did help make the SP much better but I still have to have on heavy fog. Are there any other 'tricks' I can do here. I know I'm not working with a dedicated graphics card but I was hoping MC would work.

ZZMitch

Minecraft is a more depanding game then most people think. You might be able to overclock your CPU or something, but with a laptop, I dunno. Temps are always an issue with that sort of thing.

Forkball

Ok so I recently got this game. It's pretty cool thus far, but I have no idea how you guys get things accomplished with all these monsters. The hell? I want to go mine some mountain, but I can't because creepers are down there. Also I was building a staircase to go down from the mountain where my house is, and one day there's a damn spider in my staircase now. I know they aren't hostile during the day, but damn. Also, can you just not do anything at night time? There are so many zombies and skeletons that spawn, I don't know how anyone could survive out there. I'm tempted to turn the difficulty down to Peaceful right now until I get used to the game and build up a bit more, but I heard you can't get some things on Peaceful. Is this true? Any other general tips?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Forkball said:
Ok so I recently got this game. It's pretty cool thus far, but I have no idea how you guys get things accomplished with all these monsters. The hell? I want to go mine some mountain, but I can't because creepers are down there. Also I was building a staircase to go down from the mountain where my house is, and one day there's a damn spider in my staircase now. I know they aren't hostile during the day, but damn. Also, can you just not do anything at night time? There are so many zombies and skeletons that spawn, I don't know how anyone could survive out there. I'm tempted to turn the difficulty down to Peaceful right now until I get used to the game and build up a bit more, but I heard you can't get some things on Peaceful. Is this true? Any other general tips?
Yes. Indeed there are some items (such as Bones from Skeletons) that you can only get by killing the monsters, but none of them are crucial to those who are still getting the hang of the game.

Usually what people do is build during the day, and mine during the night.

Vlad

Forkball said:

Well, the wilderness at night really does belong to the monsters. It's a little better if you've got some armor and weapons on you, but it's still very likely that you'll get overwhelmed and murdered. Thing is, that's sort of the point. If there wasn't the very real threat of death in the dark, the game would lose all its tension. I've tried exploring caves on Peaceful before, and it's just not the same without the constant threat of running face-first into a creeper around every corner.

Normally, if you want to build at night, I recommend walling off your construction area and blanketing it with torches.

Xun

I'm currently building an alternative subway system, so if anyone wishes to help let me know! Most of it will be underwater, and my currently planned route is below in bright green.

6fboky.gif

It's just a side project, but I think it could be quite fun! I was also thinking of perhaps making an underwater city (like Rapture) at the end of it, but that would require a lot more effort.

Oh and for the record I'm Otamin on the server.

L00P

Beds sound sooo good. I've always wanted the option to sleep the night away. And the bed respawn-thingy sounds good too since my new settlement is miles away from my spawn point. With this, I can now actually explore the world, not just stick around near my spawn point. I'll probably see more biomes, too!

So I'm at a dungeon trying to turn it into a skeleton grinder near east point and I'm being invaded by pigs! D:

Dungeon seems to be spawning them.

yB6wU.png

JIWT9.png

I personally like the ones spawned into the 1x1 holes, lol

Forkball

So I was trying to build a lava waterfall and, very stupidly, fell the fuck into it. I lost iron, diamonds, gold, red stone, my compass etc. I did manage to find some stuff, but the only thing worth a shit was my clock. I guess that's the nature of the game. I did save some stuff in chests, nothing amazing though. At least my base is really close to my spawn.

But this game is really interesting (although I do get a bit of motion sickness if I play for a long time).

Also, you guys built some crazy stuff on the GAF server.

Exano

Neo Member
Forkball said:
So I was trying to build a lava waterfall and, very stupidly, fell the fuck into it. I lost iron, diamonds, gold, red stone, my compass etc. I did manage to find some stuff, but the only thing worth a shit was my clock. I guess that's the nature of the game. I did save some stuff in chests, nothing amazing though. At least my base is really close to my spawn.

But this game is really interesting (although I do get a bit of motion sickness if I play for a long time).

I did too, make sure you turn off motion bob. After I checked that option off, I was all good to go.

Atomski

Forkball said:

Lava is such a heart breaker. One second you have everything the next its all gone :(.

Neo Member
Willy105 said:
I know. Honest challenge and worry when you go exploring around lava.
That's why I always explore with a bucket, just in case. I've had bad experiences with lava, especially on my first time playing. I was digging into my base (I hadn't gone cave exploring yet) and I found a bunch of lava springs. Eventually it got to the point where I had to dodge lava streams like a platform game (there wasn't a sneak button in that version).

Whenever I'm around lava I subconsciously say "It's time to get out of here!", but I never leave at the prospect of finding diamonds. I died around 3 times and lost all my gold and iron.

And then, I tried going LEFT in my tunnel, and I found 10 diamonds... and absolutely no lava. I felt a little cheated, since I could have kept my gold and iron and get diamonds too. It's like blow-torching a safe and burning all the money, only to find out that the safe wasn't even locked.

Xun

15nqgt1.gif

Ok guys the tunnel is nearly finished, although the track isn't quite ready yet.

But who's up for partaking in this massive task?

Forkball

How do you guys get all that stuff for mining and building in Multiplayer? When I joined the GAF server last night I didn't have any of my items from single player. Did you guys just mine out Exano's server?

WillyFive

Xun said:
15nqgt1.gif

Ok guys the tunnel is nearly finished, although the track isn't quite ready yet.

But who's up for partaking in this massive task?

Which server is that? The Minecraft Community thread lists two, don't know which is which.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom