• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Caesar III said:
oh really? :p

My land was full of trees without ANY wood and nothing withered! I burned them down as well.

They wither if they lose connection to the soil or tree trunk (note: if it's connected from a corner to a block of soil, that's enough).

Anyway, I've started my world tree project. I currently have a 7x7 tree "trunk" in production. I have one tree growing in the middle (with a new sapling planted at the top at all times), and some trees are growing on the sidewalls, so that I get some more leaves on the outside of the tree. Once I've gotten the height close to final, i'll start making branches on the outside. I'll prolly rounden up the outside walls as well to make it look more realistic as well, but that'll need me to move a mountain or two.

worldtree.jpg

worldtree1.jpg

worldtree2.jpg

Any ideas how to improve it are appreciated, but do keep in mind it's still a rough draft so don't judge it's current form much! :lol

Osaka said:
They wither if they lose connection to the soil or tree trunk (note: if it's connected from a corner to a block of soil, that's enough).
I cannot confirm this. They had no connection to anything. They just floated in the air. Some with 3 blocks distance to the next block at all. There were several ingame weeks in between and nothing!

I don't mind it though they do not wither for me at all :)

Minecraft Alpha 1.0.12

* Big slimes no longer spawn in peaceful
* Slimes have sounds now!
* Fixed slime targeting / attacking
* Fixed font colors being broken
* Some multiplayer work

Slimes will get slightly better visuals (transparency!) and will become regional.
yay!

New update might explain something I just ran into.

I'm in a cave and I can hear this loud crackling sound on the other side of a wall. Kind of afraid to open it :lol Maybe its the slime sound?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Caesar III said:
I cannot confirm this. They had no connection to anything. They just floated in the air. Some with 3 blocks distance to the next block at all. There were several ingame weeks in between and nothing!

I had the same experience on my first map, but all the ones after that the trees have withered away fine

Ok its slimes making the noise. I just opened a hole and it looks like there are a lot down there.

Sound is a bit too loud in my opinion.

|ync

Osaka said:
Anyway, I've started my world tree project. I currently have a 7x7 tree "trunk" in production. I have one tree growing in the middle (with a new sapling planted at the top at all times), and some trees are growing on the sidewalls, so that I get some more leaves on the outside of the tree. Once I've gotten the height close to final, i'll start making branches on the outside. I'll prolly rounden up the outside walls as well to make it look more realistic as well, but that'll need me to move a mountain or two.

Any ideas how to improve it are appreciated, but do keep in mind it's still a rough draft so don't judge it's current form much! :lol

Hahah, yes! I'm glad I got my post in cause I've been worried for days that someone else was going to beat me to it (sorry, I know it's not a competition and lots of people probably had the same idea :p)

Sounds like yours is even more ambitious than mine, but I think 7x7 is going to be a little big to get a normally proportioned tree. Mine is about 3 blocks from the skybox already and only has a ~3x3 trunk (granted I started it on top of a mid sized hill). maybe you could hit the top and grow out at all sides to create a foliage roof and the illusion that the tree extends further upward.. that would be amazing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Can anyone explain to me why I dont get any iron from iron ore blocks when I pick them with a wooden pickaxe? Do I need a better pickaxe?

|ync

Toma said:
Can anyone explain to me why I dont get any iron from iron ore blocks when I pick them with a wooden pickaxe? Do I need a better pickaxe?

Yeah, you need a stone pickaxe to get iron and an iron pickaxe to get all the other ores. I had the same problem

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Charmicarmicat said:
Diamond is hard to find but IMO it's not actually that useful. I mean obviously it's nice for how long it can last, but when mining you basically have an endless supply of rock for your pickaxes and still need the same amount of sticks for handles. And as long as you are cautious you only really need gold armor and iron weapons. The only thing diamond pickaxes are needed for is mining obsidian, and it takes so long it's not worth it :lol

To summarise: Don't worry about not finding diamond, it's not as important as you think.

You do mine much, much faster with diamond, though. Even faster than with steal. I've used up two diamond pickaxes now and it's always a little sad to switch back to stone. Even mining out small-ish rooms means mining ~2000 blocks so those half-seconds add up! Diamond pickaxes churn right through stone.

I don't think diamond tools should be invincible (that would be over-powered), but maybe they could be repaired/recharged with more diamond?

Like, if you have a diamond tool that is about to be worn out, but it in a furnace and spend 1 diamond to heal it. That's a reasonable solution imo.

Osaka said:

Wow... that looks great! Now I don't have to build one. Will have to come up with a different idea!

I've been mining for hours and ran into a total of one zombie and one slime. Fucking creeper scared the shit out of me though.

So I've added some flowers, windows and a tree to my home, the no creeping zone. about 30 seconds away, I made a spiraling staircase going all the way to the surface, and I'm in the process of building a suspended garden in the middle of it, which already looks really cool because the snow breaks through with the cracks of light when you're in the bottom of the cave.

I'll post another update as soon as the staircase chamber is finished and I do some work on the connecting path to my home, the no creeping zone.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
|ync said:
Hahah, yes! I'm glad I got my post in cause I've been worried for days that someone else was going to beat me to it (sorry, I know it's not a competition and lots of people probably had the same idea :p)

Sounds like yours is even more ambitious than mine, but I think 7x7 is going to be a little big to get a normally proportioned tree. Mine is about 3 blocks from the skybox already and only has a ~3x3 trunk (granted I started it on top of a mid sized hill). maybe you could hit the top and grow out at all sides to create a foliage roof and the illusion that the tree extends further upward.. that would be amazing.

Yeah I'm making it 7x7 cos I'm making it a house at the same time! :lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
|ync said:
Yeah, you need a stone pickaxe to get iron and an iron pickaxe to get all the other ores. I had the same problem

Ah okay. Thanks :)

Acosta

One question, when I started this world, the first nights I could see the creepers wandering through the world, and some times they tried to attack me when I was in my cave (it had small windows). But now I have torches and a better structure, I can't see any creep at all, I have even tried to walk a little away from home to check if I could see one but no luck, is that normal?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I still think Slimes might be a little bugged. Unless they work differently than other enemies.

I keep having slimes spawn in a hallway at the very bottom of the map that I am SURE is completely lit up. There's always like 20+ of them, every time I go down there. Sometimes I go down there and there's no slimes, but a ton of the ooze they drop when they die.

So... can slimes spawn in areas that are lit with torches? I figured maybe they were oozing through the walls or through the adminium or something.

Ferrio

Banned
Acosta said:
One question, when I started this world, the first nights I could see the creepers wandering through the world, and some times they tried to attack me when I was in my cave (it had small windows). But now I have torches and a better structure, I can't see any creep at all, I have even tried to walk a little away from home to check if I could see one but no luck, is that normal?

They won't spawn where it's lit. If you go walking into the dark night you'll find them.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Acosta said:

Something happened a few days ago that has changed the way enemies spawn. Does anyone know if Notch has commented on this? I was playing on easy and only saw 1 skeleton. I bumped it up to normal and saw more monsters (not as much as the old easy though) but they would spawn farther away and not approach. Has hard mode been affected as well?

My theory is that he's trying to soften us up. When multiplayer hits he'll crank up the difficulty and we'll be caught off guard.

Or it could be a glitch.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Caesar III said:
Anyway, while checking the folder, I found a txt file for my save (an older one) with some useful information

So iron is about half of coal. And diamond is about a fifth of coal.

I thought minecraft had infinitely generated land? How could there be finite materials.

Edit: Unless thats all that has been generated so far and you havent traveled far enough i would guess.

I went back to my game (just minimized window and brouht it back up) and my character is stuck. I can still use the mouse function but I cannot move at all. Also dropped my diamond sword by accident and now its too far away to grab :(

Any ideas how to get out of this? It night now so I'm just waiting for something to come kill me I guess.

Blizzard

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
I went back to my game (just minimized window and brouht it back up) and my character is stuck. I can still use the mouse function but I cannot move at all. Also dropped my diamond sword by accident and now its too far away to grab :(

Any ideas how to get out of this? It night now so I'm just waiting for something to come kill me I guess.
First, hit escape, save to the main menu and restart the program. If that doesn't work after you reload, try hitting escape a few times, maybe alt-F11 or alt-F12 to go to fullscreen and back, press a button or two, maybe bring up the inventory.

Blizzard said:
First, hit escape, save to the main menu and restart the program. If that doesn't work after you reload, try hitting escape a few times, maybe alt-F11 or alt-F12 to go to fullscreen and back, press a button or two, maybe bring up the inventory.
Tried it. After some google searching, I found a program called NBTedit. It lets you alter different aspects about your game, including player health and position. I reset the position according to a post and dropped into the ocean very close to my original spawn point. Now making my way back :D

Kuran

Banned
Do slimes come if you have an older saved-world, from an older build?

I hope there is any chance of us using our current game worlds as server maps in the future.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I thought Mega-Slimes didn't usually spawn unless you cheated them in, wtf :(

I heard squishy rattly sounds, so I wanted to find out wtf it was, my very first experience with slimes and they HAVE to be of the super size variety :lol

Minecraft.png

Cryect

Easy_D said:
I thought Mega-Slimes didn't usually spawn unless you cheated them in, wtf :(

I heard squishy rattly sounds, so I wanted to find out wtf it was, my very first experience with slimes and they HAVE to be of the super size variety :lol

Those aren't mega slimes and look normal for what you expect. Basically you will see ones that are 2x2, 1x1, and 0.5x0.5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6or7YRPH5g8

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I was hoping it was a bug, they're huge, but fairly simple to kill, at least. Found some gold/diamond in the cave they were inhabiting :D

Toma

I went into a cave not knowing it was THIS deep. I cant find my way out :( Everything is lit which is nice. But I was EVERYWHERE. Would it be possible to create a workbench, then create a storage thing with the workbench and put everything in there, dying and then coming back looking for it again?

Alternatively I could dig my way up to the surface. And then go looking for my hideout :D
Yeah that sounds reasonable ^^ Huge ass underground stairs... here i come!

Ferrio

Banned
Toma said:
I went into a cave not knowing it was THIS deep. I cant find my way out :( Everything is lit which is nice. But I was EVERYWHERE. Would it be possible to create a workbench, then create a storage thing with the workbench and put everything in there, dying and then coming back looking for it again?

Ya you could do that, sure you'd be able to find wher eyou placed it?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I think I'm starting to get to the current final height pretty soon! Still doesn't look very good as it's so square. I need to gather a mountain to my backpack and make the base bigger so I can round up the sides. I think I'll make some tree roots fit for Yggdrassil as well!

worldtree4.jpg

worldtree5.jpg

Also, it needs more branches. I think I'll make them by first growing a tree outside the main trunk, then cutting the extra tree's trunk off, and connecting the top to the main tree so the branches will have some foliage.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Toma said:
That, or just head back to the surface, find the tallest mountain you can find and look for things you recognize and travel back to where you came from, that's what I do.

Also pray it isn't night when you get to the surface, those archer skeletons are assholes.

Toma

Ferrio said:
Ya you could do that, sure you'd be able to find wher eyou placed it?

I'd probably draw a map the next time ._. Huge I tell you. But I might just dig my way up. Could take a while. Oh and... what happens if I dig up below the ocean??? Oo

Rapstah

Does anyone have any techniques for easily filling in ice blocks you accidentally removed? My current tactic is something like using torches to melt the ice blocks around the missing one, let the water fill the hole, then remove the torch and wait for it to freeze. This method is inconsistent and slow.

Toma said:
You could do that.

Do you have lots of torches? In a similar situation I did this:

-pick a starting position (mark it with four torches)
-move throughout the cave using torches placed on the ground (not on the walls) as markers. if you find a dead end, turn around(picking up the torches on the ground) to the nearest split path and mark the dead end with two torches side by side.
-Continue ruling out areas until you find the original entrance.

Toma

MvmntInGrn said:
You could do that.

Do you have lots of torches? In a similar situation I did this:

-pick a starting position (mark it with four torches)
-move throughout the cave using torches placed on the ground (not on the walls) as markers. if you find a dead end, turn around(picking up the torches on the ground) to the nearest split path and mark the dead end with two torches side by side.
-Continue ruling out areas until you find the original entrance.

Thats a good idea. Didnt know I can pick them up again. I am trying to find the exit for about an hour now >_< I think I could create myself a few other torches.

Acosta

God, mining in this game is intense, really exciting, each time I find a natural cave I have a chill, a mix between the excitement of "what is there?" to the absolute fear I feel seeing those dark spaces in front of me.

I'm trying to do a mining a dwarf could feel proud of, with big corridors, clean trajectories and well lit (too well lit you could day, I put a torch every few steps, for my own tranquillity). Have explored some natural openings in search of good stuff, and I have sealed the ones I was not interested anymore to avoid confusions. Finally I found a huge space, lava, and some company:

Slime.jpg

I was tempted to try my luck as I was well armored and had a iron sword, but I decided to wait until I had some kind of range weapon. How tough are slimes?

This game is incredible.

Osaka, your Yggdrassil is looking awesome, can you widen the base?

Metalic Sand said:
I thought minecraft had infinitely generated land? How could there be finite materials.

Edit: Unless thats all that has been generated so far and you havent traveled far enough i would guess.
Yes they are infinite! And yes this is only the values of the ressources generated so far.

Man

Do anyone know what 3D library this game is using? OpenGL? Custom?
I know it's coded in Java but was interested to hear a bit more.

Toma

Does anyone know what would happen if a player digs his way up to the ocean? Does the whole cave get flooded and the ocean dries out? ^^ I mean this is a huge cave.

I dont plan on doing this anymore after the genius torch idea. But does anyone know what would happen?

Cryect

Minor flooding probably would be about it. Water only ever travels down never up since no concept of water pressure is in the game.

Should note you can never run out an infinite spring.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Toma said:
Does anyone know what would happen if a player digs his way up to the ocean? Does the whole cave get flooded and the ocean dries out? ^^ I mean this is a huge cave.

I dont plan on doing this anymore after the genius torch idea. But does anyone know what would happen?
It would fill to a certain degree, but water doesn't travel upwards, there'd be a stream going down into the cave system but it wouldn't fill it up, besides, afterwards you could just close the opening and the water would dry up inside the cave.

Rapstah

Blast Processing said:
This game looks crazy and awesome. Has anyone built a Ringworld/Halo type of structure yet?
Gravity only works downwards and there's a heigth limit. That'd limit those two examples.

Blast Processing said:
This game looks crazy and awesome. Has anyone built a Ringworld/Halo type of structure yet?
Wouldn't really be possible... the game just keeps expanding on forever on a flat plane, and gravity is constant in one direction. You could definitely build a giant "ring world"... but it wouldn't function as you'd want it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom