• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuran

Banned
Isn't it amazing that Notch has almost made half a million USD on this game?

Its funny how he is probably making more profit than bigger companies who employ hundreds of people...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
TheExecutive said:
so i am running the cartographer but nothing pops up after it says "done". Am I doing something wrong?

check its folder. its saves the images right away as PNG

Kuran said:
Isn't it amazing that Notch has almost made half a million USD on this game?

Its funny how he is probably making more profit than bigger companies who employ hundreds of people...
Damn that is amazing. And it isn't even technically "done" yet :lol

Remy

From his Twitter account:

I guess the server will be quite full for the rest of the night. Too many people got the code. I'll keep it up, though, see how it fares.

Haha, the password is everywhere now, so I'll just tweet it and invite EVERYONE! It's !!Thomas!!

Good luck joining the server, though. =D

Apparently it found its way onto /v/, so he wants to make sure everyone has a fair shot.

Razorskin

----- ------
Remy said:
From his Twitter account:

Apparently it found its way onto /v/, so he wants to make sure everyone has a fair shot.

Aw damn full server! Aw well I don't mind the 1 or 2 week wait for public multiplayer.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Edit: stream is offline. TY for those that helped me test.

I'm going to try a live streaming test for the next 10 - 15 minutes. I've NEVER done this and just installed the software... so please tune in for moment and let me know if it works out not, how the quality is, how the framerate is, etc:

http://www.justin.tv/ErrorJustin#/w/275281744

If this goes well or if I can improve it I might schedule "regular" streaming sessions. But please give me feedback.

Edit: Was offline for a sec but it's back now. Pls help me test

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Picked the game up last night, played until about four in the morning. Jesus.

I have to say I really didn't expect this game to be so atmospheric. Surprisingly, it can get a tad creepy when you're down in the middle of nowhere just plucking away at blocks and you suddenly hear a strange noise.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
TheExecutive said:
hmm not generating... will research.
in the folder of the cartograph thing? It is named something like "map1-normal-day" so you might be lucky when letting windows search for map1 (or which ever map you chose to cartograph)

Vinci

Danish
When you buy Minecraft through Paypal using a credit card, how does it appear on your credit card statement? Under 'Minecraft,' 'Paypal,' 'Notch'?

Vinci said:
When you buy Minecraft through Paypal using a credit card, how does it appear on your credit card statement? Under 'Minecraft,' 'Paypal,' 'Notch'?
Mine came up as "PAYPAL *MOJANG" (mojang specifications is the name of his company).

Toma said:
in the folder of the cartograph thing? It is named something like "map1-normal-day" so you might be lucky when letting windows search for map1 (or which ever map you chose to cartograph)

found it! It was in the temp folder.

GDJustin

GDJustin said:
I'm going to try a live streaming test for the next 10 - 15 minutes. I've NEVER done this and just installed the software... so please tune in for moment and let me know if it works out not, how the quality is, how the framerate is, etc:

http://www.justin.tv/ErrorJustin#/w/275281744

If this goes well or if I can improve it I might schedule "regular" streaming sessions. But please give me feedback.

Edit: Was offline for a sec but it's back now. Pls help me test

I saw there was ~7 viewers at one point. Did it work? How did it look? Was there sound?

If it worked smoothly I'll consider streaming for a set time every night for a while or something, if I can get a good setup.

Duelist

GDJustin said:
I saw there was ~7 viewers at one point. Did it work? How did it look? Was there sound?

If it worked smoothly I'll consider streaming for a set time every night for a while or something, if I can get a good setup.

I checked it out. It looked good, but I wasn't getting any sound.

Dineren

Banned
GDJustin said:

Worked well for me. I didn't hear any sound, but maybe there was an issue on my end. You've got quite the mine there, must've taken a long time to dig all those tunnels. I think I'm going to hold off on playing more until multiplayer comes out. It's easy to lose track of time building, but it'd be much better if others could easily check out what you've built or add on their own additions.

Vinci

Danish
MvmntInGrn said:
Mine came up as "PAYPAL *MOJANG" (mojang specifications is the name of his company).

Thank you. My wife's OCD cracks me up sometimes, but believe me, she appreciates this.

filipe

I don't want to go through the trouble of replacing all the terrains individually. Someone want to send me their file or something?

Does using the crafting wiki take any of the fun out of the game?

So far, I'm been trying to discover on my own how to combine items. But I'm a bit stuck...

2Crisis

Anyone know if there is an alternative to paypal to be able to purchase this?

My paypal is stick in a loop of cannot change old info / cannot resolve limited access so I'm kind of stuck, but really wanna get this game :D

perryfarrell said:
Does using the crafting wiki take any of the fun out of the game?

So far, I'm been trying to discover on my own how to combine items. But I'm a bit stuck...

I don't see why it would take the fun out of the game, some of the stuff I would have no idea how to craft if that wiki didn't exist.

GDJustin

Duelist said:
I checked it out. It looked good, but I wasn't getting any sound.

Dineren said:
Worked well for me. I didn't hear any sound, but maybe there was an issue on my end. You've got quite the mine there, must've taken a long time to dig all those tunnels. I think I'm going to hold off on playing more until multiplayer comes out. It's easy to lose track of time building, but it'd be much better if others could easily check out what you've built or add on their own additions.

Thanks for the feedback. I just realized j.tv saves a copy of all your recordings you can go back and review so I guess I didn't need live testers after all. :lol But yeah it seems like it went smoothly.

With the screencast cam and minecraft running at the same time I have to bump the draw distance from normal down to low to get a stable framerate. This is fine inside, but outdoors, low is not good enough imo. You can't even see the stars or sun/moon.

If I can figure out the sound, and free up a little more RAM to keep draw distance set to normal, I think I'll give this a proper shot. Should I roll a new world or just stream my current one?

Dineren

Banned
GDJustin said:
Should I roll a new world or just stream my current one?

Personally I prefer seeing what people have already built more than watching them build it, although watching a world developed from scratch is enjoyable as well.

GDJustin

I got the sound working :D The solution I stumbled on is great... it's capturing the direct output from my mac itself, so much higher quality than a mic picking up sound from a speaker.

I'll roll a new world tonight and try to stream for at least a good hour or two. Probably starting in another couple hours.

Anyone else have the game shut down on them (just close out completely to the desktop) and loose some items?

I've had it happen a few times. I spawn in the same place I just was, with the items I had but the world hasn't saved.

Example:
-I put up paintings and torches in my house
-left to go get items
-game closed
-I still have the new items but the paintings and torches are gone as if they were never set but the items I used to create them are gone

Plaguefox

Okay, I got a taste of the multiplayer. One surprise was the importance and increasing rarity of wood. It might have something to do with how many people would chop wood, get a store going, and then crash or disconnect—maybe the inventory disappears when someone gets booted. I'm not sure! But one of the biggest concerns newly connected players had was "where the hell is all the wood?" Someone came by and stole my little slice's wooden mine entrance. Sneaky bastards!

Torches were hard to keep up: people were so needy that they'd come into your little mine and steal your torches and disappear. With the up-and-down lag, sometimes you wouldn't even notice them and—bam!—your torches are gone.

I was hearing about entire chunks of the world missing, which led to a lot of "falling off the edge of the earth", but I never got a chance to see them.

I started a little mine to the north of spawn in the backface of a mountain. When I got stuck (some kind of lag issue where you bounce in place and cannot affect the world around you), some handy folks came along and continued my work, tunneling into the earth with the same structure that I placed before. It was kind of fun to watch, being frozen in space and all. Beats having someone come by, steal torches, and dart!

If you get in, type /iron in chat. Four free iron ingots. It has a timer, though, so you can't spam it.

ah nice. the world generator can't keep up with all the players. cool. I'd like to see the straight down slice into the world look like from the cartographer program

MvmntInGrn said:
Anyone else have the game shut down on them (just close out completely to the desktop) and loose some items? I've had it happen a few times. I spawn in the same place I just was, with the items I had but the world hasn't saved. Example:
-I put up paintings and torches in my house
-left to go get items
-game closed
-I still have the new items but the paintings and torches are gone as if they were never set but the items I used to create them are gone
yeah, that happened to me a couple of times on one of the first worlds I started. among a few other crashes

dejay

Banned
This morning I got reamed by some newly rambuctious slimes. I've only been playing for three builds but every day is a different adventure!

Anyway, I spawned back outside my first mine entrance and went inside only to find a big chunk of it had been filled in by stone. I walked/swam to another entrance to my underground warren and walked back along my tunnels to find the other side of the blockage. I'm guessing a 64x64x64 cube of rock has appeared in the middle of my mountain - overwriting tunnels, caves and stores.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a glitch or are cave-ins part of the game?

Blizzard

Banned
dejay said:
This morning I got reamed by some newly rambuctious slimes. I've only been playing for three builds but every day is a different adventure!

Anyway, I spawned back outside my first mine entrance and went inside only to find a big chunk of it had been filled in by stone. I walked/swam to another entrance to my underground warren and walked back along my tunnels to find the other side of the blockage. I'm guessing a 64x64x64 cube of rock has appeared in the middle of my mountain - overwriting tunnels, caves and stores.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a glitch or are cave-ins part of the game?
Sounds like a glitch. I try to save my game periodically, and also occasionally back up the world save directory...so I guess you might want to do that while it's in alpha if you really have stuff that's taken you a long time to build.

dejay

Banned
Blizzard said:
Sounds like a glitch. I try to save my game periodically, and also occasionally back up the world save directory...so I guess you might want to do that while it's in alpha if you really have stuff that's taken you a long time to build.

Cool - I'll do that. Luckily I didn't have too much stored in the crates I had there.

GDJustin

I've had the missing items glitch happen to me last week - posted about it. Had a crash, and the game state itself saved but random things were missing from my inventory, from my storage chests, my house, etc. Only happened once though.

~~~

Re: wood in MP - I already predicted that wood and coal would be extremely scarce. In the GAF community/cooperative game, it's going to be a rule that any time you chop down a tree, you plant a new one in its place, in the same spot.

This might seem like an obvious rule, but I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't start doing it myself in my own world until like 2 days ago. Has been a big help.

Vinci said:
Thank you. My wife's OCD cracks me up sometimes, but believe me, she appreciates this.

Honestly, it shows up much less sketchily on my credit card than when I purchase on Gamers Gate (which uses what appears to be some European gambling website for their currency exchange for Americans).

Cryect

Finished constructing a lighthouse out at the front of my bay to help guide me home when I get near. Has blinking lights and a tree on top so hopefully will be quite easy to spot while out at sea and getting close. Now I decided to record a video of the blinking lights and while recording the sunset someone decided to take out my boat! Didn't realize this had occured till I was about to stop recording and was glad I could look back at the video and find out the culprit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqVG__aBCog

2ik5k60.jpg

bathala

Banned
Are u fucking kidding me. The game doesn't save ur last progress unless u save and close the current.
fucking neighbor turned off the wrong fuse (mine), and lost all my world not progress but world.

Aaron

bathala said:
Are u fucking kidding me. The game doesn't save ur last progress unless u save and close the current.
fucking neighbor turned off the wrong fuse (mine), and lost all my world not progress but world.
It saves whenever you hit ESC to bring up the menu.

GDJustin said:
I'm streaming again. I have the chat open and can see suggestions, but no mic to answer back tonight with voice. Please join me so it isn't so lonely feel free to link anyone else in, too:

http://www.justin.tv/errorjustin/#/w/275659664

Gonna try to stream for at least a couple hours.
I'm watching your stream while playing. I'm so addicted my nights are turning into all night sessions. Currently I'm hopelessly lost and trying to find my way home. I left a few beacon towers to light the way... where are they!?

bathala

Banned
Aaron said:
It saves whenever you hit ESC to bring up the menu.
there were times that I pressed escape during my play through. but after restarting my game world 3 was gone.

so wat happened to that save?

sophora

bathala said:

The same thing basically happened to a friend of mine. His power went out in the middle of a session and he lost his whole world. He went on to create a world in the same slot as the one he lost and got lost in it. After wandering around for a while he happened on his old home in his "lost" world and reclaimed all his items before making back to his new spawn point.

I think I'd try make a new world in the slot you lost it in and do a cartographer map. Maybe you can find your old home if it's big enough to show on the map.

bathala

Banned
sophora said:
The same thing basically happened to a friend of mine. His power went out in the middle of a session and he lost his whole world. He went on to create a world in the same slot as the one he lost and got lost in it. After wandering around for a while he happened on his old home in his "lost" world and reclaimed all his items before making back to his new spawn point.

I think I'd try make a new world in the slot you lost it in and do a cartographer map. Maybe you can find your old home if it's big enough to show on the map.
where do i get the latest version of cartographer map

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How do I heal? I have been attacked by zombies and only have 2 hearts left, I just dug a hole into a clif and covered it with dirt.

dejay

Banned
Drkirby said:
How do I heal? I have been attacked by zombies and only have 2 hearts left, I just dug a hole into a clif and covered it with dirt.

Food. I generally
kill a pig, get the raw meat and cook it in a furnace.
This will give you 4 hearts back (I think).

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I bought the game yesterday and here's what I've done so far with the free create mode. Really enjoy buidling stuff in here, it's very zen-like for me.
tower1.jpg

tower2.jpg

tower3.jpg

tower4.jpg

tower5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom