• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
perryfarrell said:
wHAT DO i have to throw in the furnace to get iron? Iron ore (pinkish bricks) + wood don't work

Pinkish bricks? What are you talking about? Iron ore is a stone block with little dull orange specks.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GDJustin said:
I'm streaming again. I have the chat open and can see suggestions, but no mic to answer back tonight with voice. Please join me so it isn't so lonely feel free to link anyone else in, too:

http://www.justin.tv/errorjustin/#/w/275659664

Gonna try to stream for at least a couple hours.

Thanks to everyone that viewed. I think I had a peak of 11 at one point. :D :D

For those that didn't: RIGHT away (on my first night) I stumbled into a cave that I'm pretty sure is going to turn out to be infinite. I played the game for 2 hours and 40 minutes, most of that time just exploring cave branches. There are still a TON left unexplored.

The cave ends at the bottom of the map and I found three diamond there. One fell into the lava though... derp. So no early game diamond pickaxe for me :(

I've plotted 2 lava waterfalls, 3 water water waterfalls, and one waterfall is even falling into a lave of lava.

It is also FULL of slimes. Everywhere. EVERYWHERE. So loud.

It's so big that I almost don't know what to do. It can't be mapped. It can't be lit up in its entirety. Towards the end I made a glass floor at the top of the cave and just started mining it out. I figure I'll clear the stone to make everything less irregular, for a while.

You can see the waterfall + lava lake here, at 1:42 in: http://www.justin.tv/errorjustin/b/267398169

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yes, while I hit a small deposit earlier, just found a ton of iron! Good thing I have a block of wood with me, going to make a workbench, then a furnace, then some iron stuffs.

Sucks you need wood, otherwise you could try and stay underground for hours.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Drkirby said:
Yes, while I hit a small deposit earlier, just found a ton of iron! Good thing I have a block of wood with me, going to make a workbench, then a furnace, then some iron stuffs.

Sucks you need wood, otherwise you could try and stay underground for hours.

You can grow trees underground if they have enough space and you light the area with torches.

What exactly are all the conditions for a tree to grow? Anyone know? I have this awesome idea that I wanna roll a new map for.

edit: appears to be just one block of dirt and some light? that's way too easy :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GDJustin said:
You can grow trees underground if they have enough space and you light the area with torches.
What do I plan to grow trees? Or do they just grow on soil?

Also, I am very worried I am going to flood my mine eventually. Hit the water table above me, whole thing gets filled

Drkirby said:
Also, I am very worried I am going to flood my mine eventually. Hit the water table above me, whole thing gets filled

That's not actually how water works. If you open a water spout in the ceiling it will pour in and spread to a certain radius on the floor and just stay that way. Then if you close it back up and your floor is made of dirt the water will just get soaked up and completely disappear. It doesn't make sense in real world physics but that's how it works in minecraft.

Ignignort

Starting a new world!

World Gen gave me a map with a heap of islands not very big at all!

Plan is too create under water tunnels to each of them and fill the islands with torches so they are safe at night also :D

dejay

Banned
Just wondering what file size people have with their map. I am (not for long) at 11.4 MB

Blizzard said:
Sounds like a glitch. I try to save my game periodically, and also occasionally back up the world save directory...so I guess you might want to do that while it's in alpha if you really have stuff that's taken you a long time to build.

Update - just entered the same map again, after I'd cleared some of the new obstruction away and it's glitched again in the same area but it's spread a bit now. I'll start a new map and start backing up from that. I'm wondering if these things get more common the larger the file size gets.

Man, i'm dumb - I just realised I could leave the furnace cooking, rather than sit there and wait for the whole batch to finish :lol

Also, how do I stop cows from spawning inside my castle?

Got this on Friday, played quite a bit over the last few days. I've built one main castle and got completely lost in a massive series of caves. My lowlight was accidentally having my entire supply of smelted iron on me and getting killed at the bottom of the caves. Never did manage to recover it.

I keep feeling like I'm burnt out but within a few hours I'm loading it up again. Very addictive stuff.

Bootaaay said:
Man, i'm dumb - I just realised I could leave the furnace cooking, rather than sit there and wait for the whole batch to finish :lol

Also, how do I stop cows from spawning inside my castle?

Cows spawn on grass so just get rid of any inside your castle.

thefil

Bootaaay said:

Don't worry, you're not the only one who didn't figure it out.

Raggy

Banned
FlyinJ said:
I'm pretty sure it already is a GAF-Hit.

This thread has been on the first page for four days straight.

Also, there hasn't been a single person who bought it and said they didn't like it.

Well I don't particulary like crafting stuff, or decorating stuff.
(stayed the hell away from that in UO for instance)

Would I like this game?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Raggy said:
Well I don't particulary like crafting stuff, or decorating stuff.
(stayed the hell away from that in UO for instance)

Would I like this game?

Well if you just like digging holes, I guess?

Ok, that's the second time I have been killed by slimes and I am losing all kinds of equipment. I am going to build an arsenal and go down there and finish the job.

bathala said:
Are u fucking kidding me. The game doesn't save ur last progress unless u save and close the current.
fucking neighbor turned off the wrong fuse (mine), and lost all my world not progress but world.
haha. the save obviously got completely corrupted

epmode

HappyBivouac said:
What exactly are all the conditions for a tree to grow? Anyone know? I have this awesome idea that I wanna roll a new map for.

edit: appears to be just one block of dirt and some light? that's way too easy :lol
It needs space to grow though. I think a 5x5x5 area will work.

Acosta

TheExecutive said:
Ok, that's the second time I have been killed by slimes and I am losing all kinds of equipment. I am going to build an arsenal and go down there and finish the job.

I went with a full iron armor and a iron weapon and had no problem beating an adult Slime. I always have it on me, just in case (as I don't notice any negative effect while moving and mining with the armor).

Philthy

I picked the game up yesterday and after an hour or so I became quite bored. Mostly because there isn't much to do in the game other than crafting items that really are of no use yet and there is nothing to interact with other than killing pigs and cows.

I understand this is an Alpha, and I fully support what he's done. But, does anyone know the direction this game is going to ultimately go? Will he be adding in NPCs that will begin to use your creations, and in turn, create more items and supplies? Sort of how Dwarf Fortress works? I see he has the basic RPG elements for equipment, and weapons, but outside of that we really don't see any stats for anything yet.

I see on the blog he's been putting most of his time lately into multiplayer, which is kind of odd. Wouldn't you want to get the actual game part going before this?

This isn't a bash, just kind of curious where it's going. I totally support indie devs who put this much effort into something. Obviously I see the potential of what this can become.

Dragmire

TheExecutive said:
I was being chased by a group of slimes way down in a mine while I had two hearts left. I thought I could hide past an arm of lava sticking out of a lake and tried to jump over it. I landed in the lava and lost all my stuff... -_-

[edit] Btw, how do you get milk out of a bucket? I can't pour it out or anything.

Dragmire said:
I was being chased by a group of slimes way down in a mine while I had two hearts left. I thought I could hide past an arm of lava sticking out of a lake and tried to jump over it. I landed in the lava and lost all my stuff... -_-

[edit] Btw, how do you get milk out of a bucket? I can't pour it out or anything.

Apparently slimes can respawn even with torches too...

Sye d'Burns

Philthy said:
I picked the game up yesterday and after an hour or so I became quite bored. Mostly because there isn't much to do in the game other than crafting items that really are of no use yet and there is nothing to interact with other than killing pigs and cows.

You're doing it wrong. For diversity in mobs, up your difficulty or wait until nightfall. Finding a nice dark cave system might be another option.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Love brining a few blocks of wood down into the mines with me. Go really far down a new shaft, build a work bench, get a fernice going with some coal I found, make some stone blocks, make a chest for all the extra stuff I get.

I need some more Iron though. Found some redstone, but all my iron has dried out :(

Shit, ran into some lava, guess I am going to have to turn around for now.

Finished the 3rd castle on my wall, don't know if i'll bother doing any more, the third one was a bastard to finish as I had to build up the foundations really high;

java2010-07-2715-35-12-86.jpg

java2010-07-2715-35-52-24.jpg

Twig

Banned
I bought the game a few days ago but it ran like shit on my laptop so I had to wait until I had my desktop back but then it was broken but then I think I identified the flaw in a faulty stick of RAM and then I played Minecraft earlier today and it was fun.

Big and confusing, but fun. Much like Dorftress.

oh god i love pc gaming for stuff like this

Cryect

Philthy said:

I understand this is an Alpha, and I fully support what he's done. But, does anyone know the direction this game is going to ultimately go? Will he be adding in NPCs that will begin to use your creations, and in turn, create more items and supplies? Sort of how Dwarf Fortress works? I see he has the basic RPG elements for equipment, and weapons, but outside of that we really don't see any stats for anything yet.

I see on the blog he's been putting most of his time lately into multiplayer, which is kind of odd. Wouldn't you want to get the actual game part going before this?

This isn't a bash, just kind of curious where it's going. I totally support indie devs who put this much effort into something. Obviously I see the potential of what this can become.

Its a sandbox. You are given a set of tools and you are free to do with that set of tools what you want. Yes, he's still adding tools but there is a ton to do especially if you love exploration. Its not your traditional game but that's part of what makes it so good.

Philthy said:

You're asking for the game to give you objectives and things to do, which isn't what its about. You're supposed to explore, mine, and build. Thats pretty much it.

Dragmire

Yeah, this is an open world game. You can really do anything you want. But it's not a game for people that want direction in terms of what to do. Notch could easily put a main quest into the game where you have to save a princess or defeat a dragon or something, but that goes against what he's going for and what the community wants right now. What's there in the alpha stage game is already better than a lot of finished retail games, let alone indie stuff. Not a lot of games give this sense of exploration, creativity, and randomness and surprise.

Philthy

Dragmire said:
Yeah, this is an open world game. You can really do anything you want. But it's not a game for people that want direction in terms of what to do. Notch could easily put a main quest into the game where you have to save a princess or defeat a dragon or something, but that goes against what he's going for and what the community wants right now. What's there in the alpha stage game is already better than a lot of finished retail games, let alone indie stuff. Not a lot of games give this sense of exploration, creativity, and randomness and surprise.

I'm not quite sure what you mean what is in the current game? Like I said, I've bought it, I've played it. There isn't much of anything in the game at all yet. You can make blocks, and build stuff. You can make a few different tools and weapons. But it needs to be fleshed out. He needs to give a reason why to build stuff, not just because you can. Every item must have a purpose. Add in some NPCs to interact with, build them houses and give them pickaxes so they can go off and mine on their own. Fighting monsters at night but what does it give us? Give us xp and levels, items to create more things. Arm NPCs to go out on raids into caverns. Etc.

It's a cool start, don't get me wrong. But it's a long long long long way from actually being much of anything other than a basic block building editor right now.

Vinci

Danish
Philthy said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean what is in the current game? Like I said, I've bought it, I've played it. There isn't much of anything in the game at all yet. You can make blocks, and build stuff. You can make a few different tools and weapons. But it needs to be fleshed out. He needs to give a reason why to build stuff, not just because you can.

You want him to give you a reason to do something that's fun to do?

Bootaaay said:
Finished the 3rd castle on my wall, don't know if i'll bother doing any more, the third one was a bastard to finish as I had to build up the foundations really high;

java2010-07-2715-35-12-86.jpg

java2010-07-2715-35-52-24.jpg
The gap between the towers looks slightly larger on the right.

Fix it.

Philthy

Vinci said:
You want him to give you a reason to do something that's fun to do?

Fun to do what? Combining items on a 3x3 grid? I'd like to see it all automated after the first successful combine. Hire NPCs to mine build specific items, etc.

Dragmire

Philthy said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean what is in the current game? Like I said, I've bought it, I've played it. There isn't much of anything in the game at all yet. You can make blocks, and build stuff. You can make a few different tools and weapons. But it needs to be fleshed out. He needs to give a reason why to build stuff, not just because you can. Every item must have a purpose. Add in some NPCs to interact with, build them houses and give them pickaxes so they can go off and mine on their own. Fighting monsters at night but what does it give us? Give us xp and levels, items to create more things. Arm NPCs to go out on raids into caverns. Etc.

It's a cool start, don't get me wrong. But it's a long long long long way from actually being much of anything other than a basic block building editor right now.
See, that's not quite the direction I want for the game. Experience levels would defeat the puprose of mining to find better materials for better items. Instead of NPCs, I'd rather have other, real people playing in my world, which is what he's working on. I don't know how AI NPCs would be better. In terms of creating, this game is no worse than the Sims. Some people just want nice things in their home, and that's what some stuff is there for. The point of the game is mining to build, and building stuff to help you mine. I can totally see why some people wouldn't care for that, but I think it's pretty great.

Ferrio

Banned
Philthy said:
Fun to do what? Combining items on a 3x3 grid? I'd like to see it all automated after the first successful combine. Hire NPCs to mine build specific items, etc.

You want the game to play it for you..... okay...

Look, go play Civ if you wanna manage resources.

Vinci

Danish
Philthy said:

No offense, but I hope Notch never does any of this. Or at least that he traps it in some game mode outside the core game. Multiplayer will add a lot to this title. NPCs are worthless by comparison to that. I think we're hitting the natural disconnect between people who like WoW and those who like EVE, basically. I like being given tools and being allowed to do with them what I want. That's why I like EVE and why I like this game.

Philthy

Ferrio said:

Sort of like.. Dwarf Fortress, you know, the game in the thread title? And Rogue as well, now that I think about it.

God's Beard said:
The gap between the towers looks slightly larger on the right.

Fix it.

noooooo, I can't unsee it :lol I swear I counted 21 blocks between each tower - ugh, I guess I can make the center tower larger.

Philthy said:
Fun to do what?

To explore and mine and build bigger, grander structures - that's all this game needs to be about for me. I'd like to see more complex things to craft, more enviroment variety, more enemies and more materials, but beyond that I don't think the game requires a bunch of features to automate things or make it more of a traditional RPG.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Philthy said:
Sort of like.. Dwarf Fortress, you know, the game in the thread title? And Rogue as well, now that I think about it.

Ever since this thread was created I though the thread title was just plain wrong and horribly misleading to newcomers.

Vinci

Danish
Tempy said:
Ever since this thread was created I though the thread title was just plain wrong and horribly misleading to newcomers.

Yeah, could we make a thread called 'Minecraft |OT|' and be done with it please?

ToxicAdam

Really, this game has more in common with the Sims (Man vs Wild expansion pack). The fun is in the building and sharing your creations and stories with others. The "game" part of it is merely a construct to make you feel like the things you build have value.

Blizzard

Banned
The game is like Dot Heroes in that the world is made of simple blocks. The game is like Rogue and roguelikes in that levels, environments, caves, enemies, and so forth are randomly generated as you explore. The game is like Dwarf Fortress in that you can build a fortress (I think...I never played that game). I don't see a problem with those parallels unless you expect the game to have the depth of all three.

I personally don't like that idea of an official thread existing before the beta is released. That's my main objection.

And if it has not been repeated enough, try the online free survival/creative modes. If you like those and you like the graphics, then you might consider the game. DO NOT BUY THE GAME if you do not like randomly building, digging, and crafting in a sandbox world. That is what the thing is. That is what it is designed for. You can fight monsters sometimes, but it is not a fighting game aside from just not getting killed in my opinion. Multiplayer is being added so you can build things and dig things in a sandbox world with other people.

EVENTUALLY I think the dev may have plans to add RPG-like quests to the game, but currently that is certainly not the case. You have been warned. :D

The only thing I want from this game is to be a little more populated. Random settlements here and there, that can either be hostile or friendly. Rare random events, like a dragon spawning or some crazy shit like that, and the game would be even more perfect.
Of course, Notch has already expressed interest in adding these things, so its only a matter of time.

Twig

Banned
Ferrio said:

While I agree with you, I wouldn't be averse to adding things like robots to the game that you can "program" or whatever.

O:

Also, I am playing it again right now and actually making plans even though I still don't know what I'm doing and I can tell this game is going to absorb me. For a long time. HNNNNNGH.

Philthy

Blizzard said:
I don't see a problem with those parallels unless you expect the game to have the depth of all three.

This is pretty much where I'm coming from. I envisioned the game to be going on that path, when I got it, I see the very beginnings of it. Which is cool. I just wanted to verify that the game was indeed going to be completely fleshed out into an actual game.

Blizzard said:
And if it has not been repeated enough, try the online free survival/creative modes. If you like those and you like the graphics, then you might consider the game. DO NOT BUY THE GAME if you do not like randomly building, digging, and crafting in a sandbox world.

I have tried the creative mode several times in the past. It was fantastic. The fact that he made a new mode that is an actual game is a good step. However, I see very little difference between the two, which is my main criticism so far. One is meant to build, dig, and create. The other should be to play. Or whatever the hell he wants it to do, I guess.

Twig

Banned
Also, I would like it if - like Mr. Tarn Adams of Dorftress - Mr. Markus Persson would post a list of what he intends to add, what bugs exist. I know he says he has one, but I'd like to see it! I can understand why he might not WANT to post that, especially since he is making money off of this. Dorftress is, too, but only through donations. This is straight up Buy The Game.

(It might actually exist on the internet somewhere and I just haven't seen it, yet.)

Oh well!

Diggin' time.

Pinko Marx said:
The only thing I want from this game is to be a little more populated. Random settlements here and there, that can either be hostile or friendly. Rare random events, like a dragon spawning or some crazy shit like that, and the game would be even more perfect.
Of course, Notch has already expressed interest in adding these things, so its only a matter of time.

Dude this, I want this so much! Can you imagine travelling along your world and finding a village with some traders, or some barbarians? Or digging into the side of a mountain only to find a Smaug look-a-like and a bunch of treasure? So awsome...

Not that the game isn't awsome already.

And has he really expressed interest ion such things?? Does someone have a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom