• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blair

Banned
jumped in the other day after seeing some awesome stuff in this thread and now i've completed my first ever project

u08es4ier_meinus.jpg

ud2p1uyb5_meinus2.jpg

y953uixk0_meinus3.jpg

i found 3 cliffs and decided to make the entrance the first smallest cliff which i would hollow out and make a staircase, then just a walk way across the second and onto the third, where i would build a house.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can't wait for multiplayer, building things with others is going to be great.

And while I still can't find any large amounts of iron, I DID just find this:
di.jpg

:D

Twig

Banned
Drkirby said:
Can't wait for multiplayer, building things with others is going to be great.
Oh man, totally. I am going to love the single-player in this game a ton, but once you throw in building shit with friends, this is going to be added permanently to my repertoire of Games I Play Forever.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Tempy said:
Ever since this thread was created I though the thread title was just plain wrong and horribly misleading to newcomers.

It has randomly generated worlds and dungeons like Rogue... crafting, mining, smelting and free-form structure building like Dwarf Fortress and retro pseudo-8-bit graphics like 3D Dot Heroes.

How is that misleading?

What games would you compare it to?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
For the GAF community world (where we all agree to work on JOINT construction projects) I'm thinking about laying some ground rules. They might seem overly strict, but anyone that has played an MMO, or managed a project in the real world, knows that every single person added to a team adds 2x complexity. It will be a MESS with 30+ people logging on at different times to work on something unless there is a very solid foundation:

1) Any time you cut down a tree you must plant a sapling in its place. Wood will be very scarce.

2) Absolutely no destroying anyone else's construction!

3) Signposts everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Although there will undoubtedly be people in the game concurrently (esp. at the beginning), after a while, what will be more common is people signing in and doing some work, leaving, and then others signing in later to do their own work. Signposts are the only way to communicate asynchronously! If you're ever in doubt, leave a signpost. You can't have too many. Every mine, every building... leave a signpost. What is obvious to you won't be obvious to others.

4) Put things back in the proper place! Someone (most likely me) will be creating loads and loads of storage chests in one central storage facility. They will be labeled. It might be a pain to have to run to 10 chests to put away stone, sand, redstone, saplings, meat, slime, dirt, etc. etc., but it will pay huge dividends later on.

5) Just generally fight entropy. If the stone storage chest is full, take a moment to make a new one and place it in front of the old. If you see that 64 glass has been fired in a furnace, take a moment to store it properly.

epmode

Eh, I'd also like the crafting interface to be a little streamlined. Placing the mats into the 3x3 grid is neat the first time and I like how the shapes sort of match the final item but having to move mats into the grid EVERY TIME you want to build something gets really old.

edit: Oh, this post is late. I need to stop working and pay more attention to GAF.

Ferrio

Banned
epmode said:
Eh, I'd also like the crafting interface to be a little streamlined. Placing the mats into the 3x3 grid is neat the first time and I like how the shapes sort of match the final item but having to move mats into the grid EVERY TIME you want to build something gets really old.

edit: Oh, this post is late. I need to stop working and pay more attention to GAF.

It's actually really easy to craft fast. You don' thave to drag each one to make an indifidual.

Say you need to make some torches, put all your coal in one space, all your sticks below it. Then left click the output for how many you want until you have enough.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Philthy said:
This is pretty much where I'm coming from. I envisioned the game to be going on that path, when I got it, I see the very beginnings of it. Which is cool. I just wanted to verify that the game was indeed going to be completely fleshed out into an actual game.

Yeah I don't think Minecraft is for you when you're almost completely missing the point of the game (inb4 "there is no point").

Did you need a motive to build stuff with Lego as a kid? Did you need a motive for playing around in a sandbox as a kid?

Personally, this game is one of the few titles that really bring out the inspiration and make me want to design stuff. In online, my motive will come from playing with my friends and having some grand project together. The feeling of accomplishment that I get from Minecraft is way larger than what I get from clearing a 10 hour, 60€ Xbox 360 title, or whatever. Because everything that I do, comes from my own head and not some written script and story of the game. Not that I don't like "actual games", but this is just so different from what I'm used to.

I don't need levels or XP or a princess or whatever in Minecraft, I just want to build cool stuff and enjoy the game and talking about it with friends.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
epmode said:

Another aspect to the having to move the mats into the crafting interface is that the world is still simulating around you.

So, if you're exploring a cave and get in a fight with a bunch of mobs and your sword breaks, you can't just whip together a crafting table then craft a new sword. It takes time... so you have to run away to find a safe haven to craft.

If you could just pick out of a list, it would make preparing and outfitting for exploration ahead of time pointless, as you could immediately create anything on the fly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GDJustin said:
For the GAF community world (where we all agree to work on JOINT construction projects) I'm thinking about laying some ground rules. They might seem overly strict, but anyone that has played an MMO, or managed a project in the real world, knows that every single person added to a team adds 2x complexity. It will be a MESS with 30+ people logging on at different times to work on something unless there is a very solid foundation:

1) Any time you cut down a tree you must plant a sapling in its place. Wood will be very scarce.

3) Signposts everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Although there will undoubtedly be people in the game concurrently (esp. at the beginning), after a while, what will be more common is people signing in and doing some work, leaving, and then others signing in later to do their own work. Signposts are the only way to communicate asynchronously! If you're ever in doubt, leave a signpost. You can't have too many. Every mine, every building... leave a signpost. What is obvious to you won't be obvious to others.

4) Put things back in the proper place! Someone (most likely me) will be creating loads and loads of storage chests in one central storage facility. They will be labeled. It might be a pain to have to run to 10 chests to put away stone, sand, redstone, saplings, meat, slime, dirt, etc. etc., but it will pay huge dividends later on.

5) Just generally fight entropy. If the stone storage chest is full, take a moment to make a new one and place it in front of the old. If you see that 64 glass has been fired in a furnace, take a moment to store it properly.
You know, I can see it now, within a week the whole map is going to be mined out and we will be at the bedrock floor :lol

Twig

Banned
FlyinJ said:
It has randomly generated worlds and dungeons like Rogue... crafting, mining, smelting and free-form structure building like Dwarf Fortress and retro pseudo-8-bit graphics like 3D Dot Heroes.

How is that misleading?

What games would you compare it to?
What he says is valid: the game is nowhere near as deep as any of the individual games in expression.

Yet.

satriales

VoteForPedro said:
Dude this, I want this so much! Can you imagine travelling along your world and finding a village with some traders, or some barbarians? Or digging into the side of a mountain only to find a Smaug look-a-like and a bunch of treasure? So awsome...

Not that the game isn't awsome already.

And has he really expressed interest ion such things?? Does someone have a link?

Link: http://notch.tumblr.com/post/464021044/caves-and-features

Vorador

Banned
Just started a new world, but i can't find coal anywhere (yet) so at night the best i can do is hole myself up on someplace and hope for the best. :lol

Falt

Literally just jumped in. I've been reading over the thread the last few days, played a little classic today and lunch at took the plunge when I got home.

I'm currently trapped in a 2x4 closed hole with god knows what poking around outside. I was collecting wood (randomly) at night and was suddenly attacked. Escaped to a previous dig spot and filled in the entrance behind me. I've been playing for maybe 15 minutes :lol

Any tips would be very much appreciated as I am completely green... :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Falt said:
Literally just jumped in. I've been reading over the thread the last few days, played a little classic today and lunch at took the plunge when I got home.

I'm currently trapped in a 2x4 closed hole with god knows what poking around outside. I was collecting wood (randomly) at night and was suddenly attacked. Escaped to a previous dig spot and filled in the entrance behind me. I've been playing for maybe 15 minutes :lol

In the OP I wrote a quickstart guide, as well as linked to the crafting wiki.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Falt said:

Yeah, zombies tend to come out at night. I think putting torches up keeps them away.

My little castle. You would never guess there was mile upon miles of tunnles in it:
kingdom.jpg

Wish there was a quick way to show off the tunnels, I got a deep deep shaft going to the bottom of the map :lol

Vorador

Banned
Fuck, a creeper found my little hole :lol i wasn't damaged, but the place was blown to bits and then a few skeletons found me :(

Luckily my spawn point was nearby and the sun was rising, so i collected my stuff and tried for another place where i finally found some coal :D

Philthy

Osaka said:
Yeah I don't think Minecraft is for you when you're almost completely missing the point of the game (inb4 "there is no point").

Did you need a motive to build stuff with Lego as a kid? Did you need a motive for playing around in a sandbox as a kid?

Well, it is an alpha, so I was assuming the actual 'game' part wasn't entirely implemented yet. It does say he wants mods at some point, so that would be a good way for someone to implement a 3d Dwarf Fortress and Rogue child. Although I'm not sure how many OCD people are left in the world to do something like that.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing for a couple days and settled into this snowy map a while ago. Haven't really explored the outside lands, but have dug down to the bedrock. House isn't really that special, but it sure took a lot of stone.

Circular mountain castle with glass windows:

Will eventually tear down the bridge and make it stone, too.
2lcs12c.jpg

This is a view from the top of the castle, where I lit up a trail and the entire mountain side with torches.
30j7d5w.jpg

Some thoughts:

GDJustin said:

Definitely not in it's place as a permanent rule. Instead, this should be a rule temporarily, until the construction of a massive communal tree farm. Then the rule should apply there, but elsewhere allow trees to be removed freely.

Agreed. I would even like to see some sort of "zoning", where players stake claims to certain areas with markers.

Yes, with books supplementing this if they ever become writable.

Yes. We should have distributed communal storage areas. I'm imagining things spread out quite a bit at times, so probably more than one. Labeled and stored. I'm all for the sever being entirely communist and sharing everything, but I could understand if people want personal storage for materials they are reserving for personal projects.

I'd like to see some additional work in terms of a large scale coordination too. If we're building things far apart, I'd like to see the creation of a transportation network (rails or boats) for getting from place to place.

Perhaps it'd be best to start the server with a coordinated "guildhall" that we set up ASAP with some of the communal storage, maybe farms for trees/wheat/papyrus and a pasture for animal spawning, and then after we have a humble (but large enough to suit our needs) place built. Then make it a rule that everything major should be connected to the guildhall (eventually) via the transportation network (which could include walking roads with signs too, not all mass transit)--whether it's constructions, mines, or caves to be explored later.

I'm all about a large scale cooperative endeavor.

GDJustin

platypotamus said:
Perhaps it'd be best to start the server with a coordinated "guildhall" that we set up ASAP with some of the communal storage, maybe farms for trees/wheat/papyrus and a pasture for animal spawning, and then after we have a humble (but large enough to suit our needs) place built. Then make it a rule that everything major should be connected to the guildhall (eventually) via the transportation network (which could include walking roads with signs too, not all mass transit)--whether it's constructions, mines, or caves to be explored later.

I'm all about a large scale cooperative endeavor.

That's a pretty good idea.

There could be a very very large central area with the storage chests, lots of furnaces, etc. But each player could also have a room of their own, off of this central area. With a door, and a label marking it theirs.

And yeah... as people strike off to construct their own madness, there should be signposts "This way to Justin's strip mine." And vice-versa if they are at an outpost. "follow these torches to return to base." Then those torches are turned into a cobblestone road, and eventually an elevated boat canal (or whatever).

All these rules are assuming that this is the joint, cooperative server where we work together to build single structures. I fully expect there to be more "Wild West" servers that are more loosely organized. It's not like every GAF game has to be communist. I'm just saying... if we want to build structures together, the above rules almost have to be followed. If we wanna just run around the world and do whatever... explore caves together... hunt monsters... that is something else entirely (still sounds fun though).

So I am in a big cave and I hear monsters, but my game is crashing every 20 seconds (not an exaggeration).

I finally get up this hill and there are TONS of enemies. Its insane. Maybe that is what is crashing my game, I don't know.

Not sure what to do. Considering resetting my player position like I had to yesterday when I got stuck.
EDIT: Killed most of the enemies (somehow) and I was able to play a bit more but when I returned to the same area it still freezes (when I said crashing before I meant freezing). So its that area for some reason.

So last night, in digging my first tunnel, I managed to break into the end of a cave. There were monsters waiting for me and a chest with a saddle (which I used to ride a pig), a bucket, and some bread.

Is there a way to destroy the monster generators? My stone sword didn't seem to do anything to them.

Looks like my save might be corrupted. It keeps freezing and leaving the area didn't seem to help anything. I tried loading up another map and it was fine and wouldn't freeze.

Oh well.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
GDJustin said:
resource management stuff

And to streamline storage further we could make a small tower containing the mined material. So if theres a gold storage area it could be marked with a mud tower with a gold block at the top. This would be a lot easier to recognize compared to the same sign with small text on it at every storage section.

I'm doing this to mark caves and whats contained within in my world.

MCdungeonmarker.jpg

So this marked a dungeon but in the storage facility it would mark moss cobblestone.

piratepwnsninja said:
So last night, in digging my first tunnel, I managed to break into the end of a cave. There were monsters waiting for me and a chest with a saddle (which I used to ride a pig), a bucket, and some bread.

Is there a way to destroy the monster generators? My stone sword didn't seem to do anything to them.

Use the pickaxe.

GDJustin

piratepwnsninja said:

You mine out the monster generators like any other block. It takes a long time... much longer than other blocks.

Dragmire

I'm worried about a corrupt save so I've been backing up my save file. Also, how do you take screenshots?

And yeah, I've yet to see a treasure chest or monster generator in a cave. :p

superbank

Dragmire said:
I'm worried about a corrupt save so I've been backing up my save file. Also, how do you take screenshots?

And yeah, I've yet to see a treasure chest or monster generator in a cave. :p

Printscreen button, paste into paint and crop in editing program.

Or apple shift 3 or 4 for macs.

|ync

MvmntInGrn said:
Looks like my save might be corrupted. It keeps freezing and leaving the area didn't seem to help anything. I tried loading up another map and it was fine and wouldn't freeze.

Oh well.

Shitty man.. (goes to back up save)

Random tip for building stuff up in the sky, if you are making tall temporary pillars as scaffolding you can make them out of sand or gravel, then when you are done you can just stand on the ground a dig them out from the bottom as they fall towards you.

Also for constructing underwater cities that instructional image someone posted where you build an underwater cast out of lumber, cover it in glass, then burn out the lumber gave me an idea (only works for snow worlds). You could use sand to build your cast on top of the ice, then break the ice and you cast should sink to the bottom? You still need to swim around and cover it in glass and you can't burn it out but I think the ease of creating the cast would make up for that..

superbank

Vorador said:
Alt+Print Screen

Much better.

Oh hey, thats cool. I didn't know about that. Though I'm using the in browser version so it still takes the entire window. If I download the client my save will transfer right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom