• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bootaaay said:
Got down to the bedrock on my level and found my first diamond, also about 120 pieces of some red ore - what's this used for?
Red stuff is used to run as "wire" so you can make circuits for buttons or pressure plates to activate doors and the like. You can also make logic gates with them by mimicking boolean logic with the on/off red torches... crazy stuff.

Twig

Banned
TheNiX said:
I see tons of things hanging off cliff faces and with protruding sections, is that down from chiseling out the structure or laying blocks?
Took me way too long to figure it out, but you can stick blocks to the sides of other blocks. Doesn't have to be supported on the bottom.

Vorador

Banned
superbank said:
Oh hey, thats cool. I didn't know about that. Though I'm using the in browser version so it still takes the entire window. If I download the client my save will transfer right?

To my knowledge they save on the same folder, so that's a yes.

Twig said:
Took me way too long to figure it out, but you can stick blocks to the sides of other blocks. Doesn't have to be supported on the bottom.

You can even make floating blocks by destroying the blocks that support them :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can't wait before the online is working again, so we can have 20ish gaffers online building tons and tons of stuff.

Blizzard

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
Looks like my save might be corrupted. It keeps freezing and leaving the area didn't seem to help anything. I tried loading up another map and it was fine and wouldn't freeze.

Oh well.
People with corrupted saves, you might want to zip your world up and try emailing it to Notch, or at least shoot him an email if that's the best way to contact him (maybe forum as well/instead?). I think I saw him saying that he fixed some bugs after people sent him the level.dat or whatever, so maybe if you tell him you have a corrupted world state he could try to load it up and figure it out to help improve everyone's experience. :)

IceMarker

Drkirby said:
Can't wait before the online is working again, so we can have 20ish gaffers online building tons and tons of stuff.
I believe that Notch is gonna release SMP even earlier now that he's seen that his server alone was somewhat stable even with thousands and thousands of people connecting to it at once. He just needs to implement a few more basic features from singleplayer inyo multi and BAM! SMP exists.

Twig

Banned
Game crashed on me earlier during my first attempt to dig deep and when I started it back up a slime was attacking me and I couldn't see it or move or anything until I died. I finally made an iron pick too and was mining gold and red stone. ):

WHAT A HORRIBLE GAME.

I am of course joking: alpha, etc. At least respawning fixed it.

Man this game is super fun.

I just lost about five hundred resources, two hours of work, and a full body armor suit because a slime fell on me. And all I was looking for was a single diamond.

I think I've had enough fun with this game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, I am done for a little while. Need to get a lot more of my domain, but here is the stuff I have been working on (Where I took the picture is anther thing I am working on, which is most likely going to take a while since I want to make a tall tower out of dirt bricks)

kingdom2.jpg

Here is an older shot. I am going to take a full set of pictures when I get back to the game.
kingdom.jpg

Razorskin

----- ------
Wgi08.png

:lol

Spotting a creeper at night watching me from a far distance is one of the most scary events I've encountered in this game.

Blizzard said:
People with corrupted saves, you might want to zip your world up and try emailing it to Notch, or at least shoot him an email if that's the best way to contact him (maybe forum as well/instead?). I think I saw him saying that he fixed some bugs after people sent him the level.dat or whatever, so maybe if you tell him you have a corrupted world state he could try to load it up and figure it out to help improve everyone's experience. :)
I don't see any contact info on the minecraft site (well other than the payment e-mail, think that would be ok?). I'll certainly send it in if it will be helpful. I tried reinstalling Java and even did a system restore to a few days ago but that map just keeps freezing.

I could also leave a comment + file share link on the blog but I don't know if it would ever reach him.

uggggh... :-(

I just lost all my inventory.

I was digging a single hole straight up through the mountain as a skylight so snow could fall in front of my home, when a giant slime fell on my face, killing me near instantly. I made it back, but all my diamonds, all my gold, all my redstone, my armor, the steps I made, everything is completely gone. All I had left is some building material from my chest, some steel, a couple pieces of coal and a green sphere of I don't quite know what.

That suuuuuucks.

Ok, I tried the water lift trick yesterday already but perfected it today to have a skyhigh watchout tower which can be seen from faaaaaaar away ;) And I'm up there in abou 10seconds.

028.jpg

Said tower in the background. Had to go that far away to have it on screen entirely

022.jpg

up there

025.jpg

My tower and my newly created loft :D

026.jpg

027.jpg

my loft from the outside

and inside my loft:

029.jpg

an overview over the entire room

030.jpg

my bed with nightstands

031.jpg

my pool

032.jpg

the winter garden with some crops

024.jpg

there are some flowers in front of my window in a flower box

023.jpg

my tower from inside my winter garden

I love it :)

Dr. Hoofington

Neo Member
It doesn't seem like too many people take advantage of paintings, but I like having a few around to add a bit of flair to my primitive dwellings. The low resolution images depicted in the game are actually scaled down versions of original artwork by Kristoffer Zetterstrand. After checking out his portfolio, its easy to understand why Minecraft would be an interesting venue for his work. Uncannily, he seems to specialize in rendering lone authors playing with small, semi-pixelated maquettes. Check these out and tell me you don't feel a kindred spirit:

thegame.jpg

thawing_800.jpg

set%20on%20fire.jpg

geology.jpg

None of these actually appear in the game, but they remind me of those quiet moments in Minecraft. My in-game favorites include these the landscape paintings of Counter Strike maps and his remake of The Wanderer above the Sea of Fog by Caspar David Friedrich:

bomb.jpg
aztbig.jpg

wanderer.jpg

To browse more paintings check out http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Paintings and http://zetterstrand.com

So I finished my skylight so that snow would fall down onto my underground tree that I just planted and, well...

XgoL7.png

Maybe I'll just turn it into a spiral staircase or something.

alba

Little is the new Big
Caesar III said:
Ok, I tried the water lift trick yesterday already but perfected it today to have a skyhigh watchout tower which can be seen from faaaaaaar away ;)

Care to share that trick? I want to make like high waterfall or something :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Got that map generating program up and running, here is my base, with label! (And blown up 2x so you can see better)

playingfield.jpg

alba said:
Care to share that trick? I want to make like high waterfall or something :p
Make a waterfall and let a boat float to it, the boat will stay floating and will go to the top at high speed.

I was trying to use it in a cave system, but the boat gets glitched against the walls everytime, wanted to make a loop so I could go through my mining facilty fast.

filipe

"I don't know what this is"

Notch believes in evolution! Creepers are evolving! Soon they'll be using stone tools. Before we know it, diamond! Oh god

Anyways... this made me lawl so much...

Fort_Survival_Mode_by_Dezrok.jpg

Twig

Banned
Ferrio said:
It doesn't, but it does save when you hit ESC.
Ohhh. That makes sense. The only time I've ever seen it is when I hit escape. I just assumed it was coincidence since I'm always focused elsewhere during the game.

Welp. O:

God's Beard said:
uggggh... :-(

I just lost all my inventory.

I was digging a single hole straight up through the mountain as a skylight so snow could fall in front of my home, when a giant slime fell on my face, killing me near instantly. I made it back, but all my diamonds, all my gold, all my redstone, my armor, the steps I made, everything is completely gone. All I had left is some building material from my chest, some steel, a couple pieces of coal and a green sphere of I don't quite know what.

That suuuuuucks.

Yeah it sucks doesn't it. The really sucky thing is that
1) You're stuff lasts about 3 minutes, so if you're farther than that away from your respawn you're screwed.

2) Even if you manage to kill those slimes they're just going to respawn later in the same mine.

3) All those rare packets of gold and redstone are gone forever.

It's probably gonna keep me from playing again until multiplayer comes out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
:( Game crashed, when I reloaded I died instantly, lost my good equipment and most of my Iron. My stuff most likely is in the middle of nowhere underground.

Blizzard

Banned
Sorry to hear about the crashes everyone. =( If you're playing with the standalone launcher I wonder if it could still be a memory issue, or if using fast graphics rather than fancy would fix it.

Also, you can try notch@mojang.com if you have a world that seems to be glitching/crashing when you load, though he says his spam filter eats lots of real emails.

And do not send the whole folder. He said the level.dat is enough.

the cartographer stopped working for me on my world :( Is there something I can do here?
edit: it's working again. I've overwriten the files again. Dunno what caused this. Strange.

As for the slimes:

It seems slimes do not hate light that much. Lit up your caves even more and they will not spawn again. I had to put another torch between each two in my cave to prevent them from further spawning.

Now I own 300 slime balls. I hope they are somewhat usefull later then.

perryfarrell said:
I found some red ore, and I'm mining it, but nothing drops out. What's up with that? Isn't it supposed to drop redstone?
use an iron pickaxe for those and diamond. they only work that way.

I got lost in a tunnel. I had found 7 diamonds but was arrowed down. I eventually found my belongings after much searching and becoming re lost. I decided to dig my way up from where I was. Breaking through to the ocean and beating my way through ice to finally see the sun; I've never had this type of experience in a game. It's really something.

Blizzard

Banned
paranoidfortean said:
I got lost in a tunnel. I had found 7 diamonds but was arrowed down. I eventually found my belongings after much searching and becoming re lost. I decided to dig my way up from where I was. Breaking through to the ocean and beating my way through ice to finally see the sun; I've never had this type of experience in a game. It's really something.
I think one of these days I'll have to start just exploring caves, taking care not to carry much so I don't lose it. It seems like an interesting/dangerous experience. I tend to place tons of torches to play it safe and find my way back though. :p

And I forgot to chime in...those paintings are neat!

Blizzard said:
I think one of these days I'll have to start just exploring caves, taking care not to carry much so I don't lose it. It seems like an interesting/dangerous experience. I tend to place tons of torches to play it safe and find my way back though. :p

Yeah, I use the 3 torch system.

1 torch: I've gone through this area
2 torches: this path leads back home
3 torches: this section has been fully explored

Boonoo

Blizzard said:

you've never gone cave exploring! Myohmy you're missing out!

The trick is to move through and dig out all coal, dirt and gravel you find--that should lead you to more goodies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I dug straight down and found my first ever cave like location. It had lava, yay and a giant green bastard that made me run away like a girl into the lava which caused me to die.

Now i can't really get back down since the drop is so far :lol . I need to build a staircase down there.

paranoidfortean said:

Just had a similar experience. I mined a gigantic cave for 3+ hours. Got 7 diamonds, over 150+ iron, 200+ coal, and 175 redstone. Incredible, but I got so lost that I didnt know what was going on. I dug up for what seemed like forever and hit about 60 blocks from the cave entrance in the middle of the ocean. Swimming up and seeing the daylight... it was amazing. ESPECIALLY since the mining was so successful. Huge sense of accomplishment.

Blizzard said:
Sorry to hear about the crashes everyone. =( If you're playing with the standalone launcher I wonder if it could still be a memory issue, or if using fast graphics rather than fancy would fix it.

Also, you can try notch@mojang.com if you have a world that seems to be glitching/crashing when you load, though he says his spam filter eats lots of real emails.
E-mailed my map in, hope its helpful in some way. Can't hurt anyway :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, here is a map of my world now. Added in some of the paths between points of interest.

current.png

For torches, I use them in the over world to mark where there is a path back to safety if I get lost, and I light tunnels and caves with them since I like to be able to see where I am going. I'll use them to find my way back out of a cave, but they were put down to see where I am going first.

Also, I tend to find coal very easily, so while I will have 20ish torches to start with when going on a dig, I have never run out of torches. I have run out of wood a number of times though, which sucks, since that more or less signals the end of the dig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom