• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Making Cartography render a slice of every single layer. Wonder if I can put them into a long ass gif animation...

Edit: Yep, every layer of my map, in animated form!

minecraft.gif

Fake Edit: Look like I screwed up the animation... But I like it like this a whole lot better.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
God's Beard said:
ENTER MY WORLD

Sorry about the cam, I don't know how to capture this shit. I could have probably downloaded something, but fuck it.

Nice work dude. Walkthroughs like this are great. I'll do one when my place is more complete.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's sort of poor form to show off a big project while it is still in progress, but... I couldn't wait. This is about one third of what the finished product will hopefully be:

minecraft-stairway-1.png

minecraft-stairway-2.png

I've been saving up smooth stone and coal since I started this world... it's been my main world for some time now. I thought I had a TON for anything I could dream up (within reason).

As is always the case, this is turning out to require much much more in the way of raw materials than I anticipated. I'm almost out of coal. I can't believe it.

Falt

I meant to post again last night but I really got sucked in! Thanks for pointing me towards the links in the OP, very helpful.

Currently, I have a two level wooden cabin (7 x 12) based in the centre of a small lake with a modest harbour and tunnels below leading to the shore and mines. Will probably post screens later.

This thread is inspiring, seeing what you guys are doing is filling my head with so many ideas. This game really is something.

Sorry if it's been covered but what is this block? Just saw it and don't know, couldn't see it on the wiki either. In the red box is a pic of how it looks in the inventory.

2.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Charmicarmicat said:
Sorry if it's been covered but what is this block? Just saw it and don't know, couldn't see it on the wiki either. In the red box is a pic of how it looks in the inventory.

2.jpg
I think that's the newish clay blocks.

What do you have to do to get obsidian? (black rock usually found between lava and water) I used an iron pickaxe but didnt get a block when I broke it. Any uses for it?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
TheExecutive said:
What do you have to do to get obsidian? (black rock usually found between lava and water) I used an iron pickaxe but didnt get a block when I broke it. Any uses for it?

It's the hardest block to destroy afaik. You'll need a diamond pickaxe, perhaps?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just found this while exploring.

PHYSICS!
physics.png

I feel like I should go out of my way and post a sign saying "A wizard did it" next to it.

Vinci

Danish
My only real complaint so far is that slimes sometimes glitch out and you're unable to attack them, which makes them practically invincible. I've tried attacking this one room from so many different vantage points and yet the big ones keep getting hung up on some ledge or another, which causes them to glitch, which means I can't hit them.

Otherwise, I'm having a helluva time. And I think this cave I found is my personal record - it's friggin' endless.

Got a load done today - finally finished fixing my towers;

java2010-07-2812-32-53-53.jpg

Built a lighthouse;

java2010-07-2814-13-09-44.jpg

Interior;

java2010-07-2814-12-40-73.jpg

View from the top;

java2010-07-2814-12-17-24.jpg

And now i'm going to build a castle on this island;

java2010-07-2818-50-40-30.jpg

The interior so far;

java2010-07-2817-12-27-78.jpg

java2010-07-2818-51-01-86.jpg

Anilmals kept getting stuck, so I lowered the pit and now they drown - bacon collector!

java2010-07-2817-14-10-35.jpg

Twig

Banned
argh it crashed on me again

and then again when i came back i couldn't move or see anything except some green shit and was taking constant damage and died

):

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Vorador said:
Mining while hearing mob sounds is really unsettling :lol
Lava is worse IMO, you are fearing for your life then :lol

and then again when i came back i couldn't move or see anything except some green shit and was taking constant damage and died

The greens stuff means you are suffocating. Most likely when you reloaded, it loaded you in the spot you were, but with the stuff you were digging up still in place, so you respawned in a brick wall.

Twig

Banned
Drkirby said:
Lava is worse IMO, you are fearing for your life then :lol

The greens stuff means you are suffocating. Most likely when you reloaded, it loaded you in the spot you were, but with the stuff you were digging up still in place, so you respawned in a brick wall.
Yeah, I think so. Oh well.

I had a lot of stuff, too, and was on my way to the surface. ):

stressboy said:
Awesome.. you haven't lived until you unexpectedly go falling into water while digging a deep tunnel.
i allready dug a tunnel under an iceriver from my starting hut to my small fortress will post some pics later

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
stressboy said:
Awesome.. you haven't lived until you unexpectedly go falling into water while digging a deep tunnel.
More fun when its Lava!

But what happens most of the time is when I try to break though the surface, I hit water instead. Lousy since of Direction, I keep ending my tunnels in lakes and the sea, then I am scrambling to swim to the surface, find where land is, and try again.

Also, I am going to have to take some signs down with me to one of my new tunnels. The thing hooks up 4 points (Wasn't even supposed to, I just started digging in my mine, and kept going, and ran into a few of my shafts), but for 2 of them, one I can't find the entrance once I enter the tunnel, the other I can't find my way back to the tunnel once I exit. Found my old super deep shaft though, I am shocked I was digging so far down.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Here's my epic staircase:

mine1.jpg

Sorry it's so dark, I had to take a quick snap before getting back to work.

I accomplished this by building 1 square dirt towers up to where I needed to work, then digging them out from under me and constructing a new one further down the staircase. It was tedious, but it worked. Anyone have a better method of building something like this?

Also check out that cow. He can't believe it!

If you build bottom up, you can always add blocks to the sides of whatever structure you're working on. (However, you might fall off...) So I never really see the need for temporary scaffolding.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
perryfarrell said:
If you build bottom up, you can always add blocks to the sides of whatever structure you're working on. (However, you might fall off...) So I never really see the need for temporary scaffolding.

That's just too sketchy for me. I went through a suit of iron armor trying to build up stairs like that.

I wish there was a "creep" or "slow step" modifier you could hold down when building that way.

Twig

Banned
FlyinJ said:
That's just too sketchy for me. I went through a suit of iron armor trying to build up stairs like that.

I wish there was a "creep" or "slow step" modifier you could hold down when building that way.
Crouch is in the works. No doubt it will also slow your speed. (God I hope so.)

In other words: I agree.

Boonoo

A walk key would be wonderful--especially when you do the trick of backing up to the edge to place a block beneath you (for building bridges, etc).
............ {}<-you
[ ][ ][ ][ ]<--and the next block goes right here!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Highlights of my kingdom. Wish there was a good way to show off the tunnels though:
c.png

d.png

e.png

f.png

g.png

h.png

i.png

j.png

k.png

l.png

Tons of work to do, so many project are incomplete.

My first creation:

The first night i spend in a little cave without protection somehow i survived. the next night i had a door in front of the cave but still no lights. All night a zombie was at the door trying to kill me.
Then i made that little hut you can barely see in screen 2 then i dug a tunnel under the icelake to that mountan where my little fortress is. Its a very long and deep tunnel.

b4dFvr6FVNuu.jpg

Twig

Banned
oh god oh god i died while carrying a freshly made diamond pick about 150 red stone 30 iron 20 gold plenty of coal and a bunch of (apparently useless?) slime and a few feathers, strings, and arrows back to the surface

but then i was able make it back in time after respawning

phew

Mudo

Ok so I just bought the game and it says I can either play in my browser or download and play it offline. What are most people doing???

Ferrio

Banned
Mudo said:
Ok so I just bought the game and it says I can either play in my browser or download and play it offline. What are most people doing???

Either one saves the game on your computer, so you could play both if you wanted. Only difference I think with client is you can maximize it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ferrio said:
Either one saves the game on your computer, so you could play both if you wanted. Only difference I think with client is you can maximize it.

I imagine you'll get better performance out of the native app as well

epmode

maniac-kun said:
btw is there a button for screenshots its kinda complicated the way i do them ._.
I just alt-printscreen. But then again, I don't care about the UI showing around the edges.

Mudo

the wording makes it sound like if I am not "online" if i don't play in the web browser - is that important. I just started it in the browser but I think I might like it more if I can maximize the screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom