• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Mudo said:
the wording makes it sound like if I am not "online" if i don't play in the web browser - is that important. I just started it in the browser but I think I might like it more if I can maximize the screen?
It's not important. Just download the launcher and run it that way. You can play whether you're connected to the internet or not I think, after you run the launcher once (and it lets you log into your account and play multiplayer if you want).

I don't know how it handles automatic updates if you're not connected to the internet though. Has anyone else tried it? Does it just time out?

For screenshots, try IrfanView, and look for the take screenshot option. It lets you set up a hotkey, and then you can just keep pressing that key, switching to IrfanView, saving the shot (which numbers it properly), and switching back. I tried Fraps, but I think it makes the game crash every time.

Ferrio said:
Only difference I think with client is you can maximize it.

The client uses about 910mb of memory on my system and kept crashing and erasing my saves, but since i've been playing the offline version (which uses about 500mb or so) I haven't had a single crash. More than likely a problem with my machine though, but helpful to know if anyone else is having repeated crashes with the client.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mudo said:
the wording makes it sound like if I am not "online" if i don't play in the web browser - is that important. I just started it in the browser but I think I might like it more if I can maximize the screen?
Push F11. Maxes both versions.

Your welcome.

Man

There are only advantages to be running the desktop version. Ultimately though it doesn't really matter as the differences are vague.

Mudo

Hrrmmm Ok so I downloaded it and went to launch and it asks me to log in. I put in the info I made for my account on the main webpage and it says "user not premium" when I try to log in. Any ideas?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mudo said:
Hrrmmm Ok so I downloaded it and went to launch and it asks me to log in. I put in the info I made for my account on the main webpage and it says "user not premium" when I try to log in. Any ideas?
Did you pay for it?

Mudo

Yeah I did....I exited the internet totally, logged out on the website - logged back in and then it instantly let me play...weird...thanks for the help already !

Blizzard

Banned
Bootaaay said:
The client uses about 910mb of memory on my system and kept crashing and erasing my saves, but since i've been playing the offline version (which uses about 500mb or so) I haven't had a single crash. More than likely a problem with my machine though, but helpful to know if anyone else is having repeated crashes with the client.
What do you mean by "client" if the "offline version" is something different? Does the web one crash, or only the standalone launcher .exe? (I'm assuming the latter)

Huh, I'll try Fraps again. Maybe I happened to have the same key bound (F12?) to take screenshots that counts as "instantly exit Minecraft". :lol

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
What do you mean by "client" if the "offline version" is something different? Does the web one crash, or only the standalone launcher .exe? (I'm assuming the latter)

Huh, I'll try Fraps again. Maybe I happened to have the same key bound (F12?) to take screenshots that counts as "instantly exit Minecraft". :lol
I use F12. D:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:

No, it was most likely just crashing :lol. That is why I stopped using the downloadable version, it kept crashing and crashing. Browser based is much more stable on my PC.

Blizzard

Banned
I could have sworn Fraps made the free creative version crash my whole browser, but maybe I'm imagining things now. :(

Anyway, the long and the short of it is, we all need to pay Notch billions of dollars so maybe he will make things crash less! At least he actually pays attention to memory usage in Java (see his notes on the multiplayer server performance in the recent entry), so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Thank you gaf for this incredible game. Bought it without trying it based on the extreme joy it has caused here and do not regret it.

Can someone clarify what the deal is with these creepers you all are talking about? Am I not completely safe in my stone cave with a door covering the entrance at night?

I think with stone you will be save. Light some torches up in the place because there could be the minimal chance, I think, that enemies (of which the creepers are only one) spawn there. I believe creepers are the bush type enemies that blow themselves up, so not everything is safe. You could also just set the game on peaceful mode.

Are creepers deterred by light? Sounds like they can get annoying otherwise.

Also, how often do you see one? That one persons encounter where it was watching from a distance.. it has me intrigued.

Ferrio

Banned
TheNiX said:

Also, how often do you see one? That one persons encounter where it was watching from a distance.. it has me intrigued.

Keep the outside of your house lit up, they won't come near.

how do you set peaceful mode? also, how do you choose what type of map you want? It always just randomly generates something but I heard you can pick an islands map, or no water map, stuff like that?

Blizzard

Banned
Captain Cool said:
how do you set peaceful mode? also, how do you choose what type of map you want? It always just randomly generates something but I heard you can pick an islands map, or no water map, stuff like that?
Go to options and difficulty settings to change difficulty, I think. You can't change map generation options yet, but apparently it was in a previous version so it might come back?

For creepers, as long as you're a block away from them in a house, you should be safe. Even if your house is not lit, as long as it is very small you can be safe. They spawn in the dark, not close to the player, and they only blow up if they are close to you (or another enemy that attacks them maybe). I think you can hit them once after they hiss and then run away if you are lucky.

The one thing to be aware of is, if you see one outside your door, do NOT stand in the space where your door is. I did that to test, and the thing blew the side of my house off. :lol Just stay in your house and keep a square or two away from the door if you don't want to fight them. I haven't even seen them in my new world so who knows if you will.

Razorskin

----- ------
Captain Cool said:

Press escape in game and click options. The map is randomly generated unless you use a program like NBT Forge.

TheNix said:

Yes they don't spawn in lit up places. Only at night or in dark caves. The problem is that once they spawn at night they won't catch fire during the day like other creatures, so they roam around during the day.

Remy

I was just thinking how weird it was that most of the people in this thread are also on the TF2 server a lot, and then this showed up in my feed reader...

This afternoon Corey Peters suddenly yelped and jumped out his chair claiming that a Creeper had gotten into the new training map he was working on and that it was blocking his ability to get any work done. This was followed a few minutes later by Jon Lippincott claiming he couldn't finish up his code because he had run out of Iron Ore. Even as I write this I can hear Dave Riller telling a story about how he beat a sheep to death with his bare hands to make a new set of pants and a woolly hat.

It seems, dear friends, that our development team has succumbed to Minecraft addiction.

Minecraft is an amazing little (read: freaking huge) world building sandbox game by Markus Persson, aka Notch...the very same Notch that developed Left4kDead a couple years ago. In Minecraft you carve out your own little empire in the wild, building just about whatever you want while the natural world tries to slaughter you every nightfall. The game's box-like representation of reality is cute and definitely charming...until a horde of cute box-like skeletons rip your cute little box-like arms from your cute little box-like body in a spray of cute little box-like blood and gore.

Yes, you should play this game.

Apparently we aren't the only ones to fall prey to the lures of Minecraft. A number of you in The Community have also discovered the game and, as we have come to expect, you immediately went out and imported it into our game, Team Fortress 2.

Check out this Payload Race map developed by some Minecraft fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzGa5FheN2w&feature=player_embedded

I have a feeling we'll be "playtesting" this map once it's available.

You can check out the latest updates for Minecraft by reading Notch's Blog.

We need that Payload map on the GAF server PRONTO.

Yeah, it seems that this game is picking up steam.

50.000 paying customers so far. That's a decent revenue.

Active threads on many gaming forums. Attention from gaming podcasts, websites.

Beta on its way.

I'm thinking this is gonna get huuge.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
perryfarrell said:
Yeah, it seems that this game is picking up steam.

50.000 paying customers so far. That's a decent revenue.

Active threads on many gaming forums. Attention from gaming podcasts, websites.

Beta on its way.

I'm thinking this is gonna get huuge.

It's 37,200 paid so far. He keeps a running tally at the top of the minecraft.net page.

Since I created this thread two weeks ago, he has averaged 600 sales a day. Which is incredible for one guy.

IceMarker

Now that I think about it, Notch has said while streaming live on Brocraft (a streaming group dedicated to Minecraft) that if it was possible he'd love to put Minecraft on Steam once it was far enough into development.

Also, Brandon Reinhart from Valve has posted on Notch's blog saying "Notch, send me an email. I want to ask you something, but I think your mail filter is eating messages or you're buried under a thousand unread emails."

Ferrio

Banned
FlyinJ said:
I really hope Valve doesn't offer him a job, thus putting an end to Minecraft.

Something tells me notch wouldn't abandon this. He quit his other real jobs to pursue this.... why join back up with a company? It is Valve though... Also I bet he's raking in more money than what valve might be able to offer him.

IceMarker

FlyinJ said:
I really hope Valve doesn't offer him a job, thus putting an end to Minecraft development.

Or, best case scenario, Valve brings development in house. Then we see it in 5 years.
Considering Valve is enjoying the game themselves as-is, it seems likely that this will be a TF2 Hat in the works or maybe even Notch getting his wish of getting Minecraft onto Steam. Valve probably doesn't want to mess with the development by hiring him and what not. Although I'd be happy for Notch if he does get hired on after he's done with Minecraft in a year or so. :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ferrio said:
Something tells me notch wouldn't abandon this. He quit his other real jobs to pursue this.... why join back up with a company? It is Valve though... Also I bet he's raking in more money than what valve might be able to offer him.
More likely Valve wants some of that money, if you get what I mean.

STEAM RELEASE GO

If it *does* get released on Steam I hope that they can somehow supply everyone who's bought the game with an activation key.

Blizzard

Banned
Ferrio said:
He says in his plans that he planned to release the source code etc. for the game after some amount of time has elapsed, I guess a couple of years. And it sounds like he even plans to release it as public domain, since he doesn't really see LGPL/BSD as being that necessary to him. That's kinda cool. All we need is an easy way to report crashes so he can get them fixed and keep adding features!

IceMarker

Please Valve grant Notch his wish.

a1ssrc.png

Mudo

I'm really glad to hear the game is doing well. I have seen the thread on page 1 of GAF for the last couple weeks and finally clicked it thinking WTF is this to stay on page 1 constantly.....yeahhh 1 day later and I have bought it :lol

So I almost died a for the first time - I had mined down and hit a cave of some kind so I slowly went down into it, putting torches up all over, and a zombie attacked me. Now, if I die, what do I lose? I have stuff in my large chest but I also keep a ton on me?

Razorskin

----- ------
hopefully whatever happens between him and valve benefits us.

Mudo said:
I'm really glad to hear the game is doing well. I have seen the thread on page 1 of GAF for the last couple weeks and finally clicked it thinking WTF is this to stay on page 1 constantly.....yeahhh 1 day later and I have bought it :lol

So I almost died a for the first time - I had mined down and hit a cave of some kind so I slowly went down into it, putting torches up all over, and a zombie attacked me. Now, if I die, what do I lose? I have stuff in my large chest but I also keep a ton on me?

When you die you drop all of you stuff you had on you in the location you died in. You respawn in the same place as when you first started in the world. Your stuff will disappear if you don't retrieve it fast enough.

Firehead

MrMister said:
Please Valve grant Notch his wish.

http://i27.tinypic.com/a1ssrc.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
I hate you. I was all "No way!" and then I was all opening Steam and stuff, then I was all disappointed. ):
Edit: Of course, it would be nice.
Anyway, aren't we supposed to be getting Survival Multiplayer sometime this week or the next?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Haha, I follow TF2 on Facebook, and I was just scrolling by and saw
"This afternoon Corey Peters suddenly yelped and jumped out of his chair claiming that a Creeper had gotten into the new training map he was working on and that it was blocking his ability to get any work done."

I was like "....wtf...wait...what? Are they talking about....they are!" Although in the back of my head little sound effects went "hiiiiiissss BOOM!"

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:
He says in his plans that he planned to release the source code etc. for the game after some amount of time has elapsed, I guess a couple of years. And it sounds like he even plans to release it as public domain, since he doesn't really see LGPL/BSD as being that necessary to him. That's kinda cool. All we need is an easy way to report crashes so he can get them fixed and keep adding features!
Maybe Valve will try to buy the code from him? Though for all we know it could be a mangled mess and fool of copyright infringements.

Your stuff will disappear if you don't retrieve it fast enough.
Hate that fact, lost a ton of good stuff when making my mountain have a water fall in it and scrambling to keep the path to the top of the mountain dry.

And by good stuff I mean random junk, 10 pieces of Iron, a Bucket, and my new Mine Cart D:

I have had bad luck finding Iron. I have like 300 pieces of unused coal, but have found less then 100 things of Iron or, despite Cartgraph saying there is a 2:1 ratio of Coal to Iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom