• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm mostly a Steam fan, and I still think it would be better for the world as a whole if Minecraft stays without DRM (aside from whatever phone home autoupdate stuff it already does), and especially if the source code is released eventually.

I already run the game from Steam, and have it show up on my Steam friends list, and I already own the game, so I wouldn't really get much more if it was sold on Steam. In fact, I kinda want there to be a way for the ingame community to NOT work in Minecraft since I'm playing it in windowed mode.

But yeah, Joseph Merrick is Steam's #1 fan.

So after days and days of moving earth, leveling ground, and placing a foundation I have finally finished the outside walls of my Fortress

Here is the original site:

mine1.jpg

Here is the earth leveling that needed to take place before building could begin:

mine3.jpg

Here is the completed foundation:

mine4.jpg

Here are the towers being built that face all directions:

mine6.jpg

Here are some screens of the outside walls being finished.

mine7.jpg

mine8.jpg

mine9.jpg

I will post more screens once I build my supply warehouse, living quarters, and start a massive mining project from an opening that will be built within these walls.

Blizzard

Banned
perryfarrell said:
how do you run minecraft from STeam?
Just make a shortcut to the launcher executable by adding it as a non-Steam application (assuming it's not crashing for you...it doesn't crash for me so far, and Fraps does work so maybe I was just imagining things).

Cryect

FlyinJ said:
All of that, and you end up in a TREE?! I was so hoping for a big splash.

Hilarious how there was another boat sitting in it as well.

Yeah, those trees are getting annoying (one time I jumped off and landed in one to my death). I had wondered where that other boat had went and thought it got destroyed by some animal. Was a boat from when I didn't have the water quite calibrated so the boat wouldn't get stuck.

I feel like most of you guys are playing with the creation aspect of the game. I am completely going with the exploration right now. I find the largest cave I can and then follow every branch it has. Once that is done, I move on to the next one. I don't have anything in mind to build right now, I'm just plumbing the depths and hoping not to encounter too many dangerous things.

Jenga

Banned
paranoidfortean said:
I feel like most of you guys are playing with the creation aspect of the game. I am completely going with the exploration right now. I find the largest cave I can and then follow every branch it has. Once that is done, I move on to the next one. I don't have anything in mind to build right now, I'm just plumbing the depths and hoping not to encounter too many dangerous things.
find anything in particular or just random junk

Jenga said:
find anything in particular or just random junk

It's so easy to get lost underground. I enjoy that part, finding a deep cave that keep twisting and going until you find lava or a waterfall. Then you hear the goddamn zombies.

In short, I'm looking for nothing. Just seeing what the hell is down there. I hate cave spiders.

Twig

Banned
paranoidfortean said:
It's so easy to get lost underground. I enjoy that part, finding a deep cave that keep twisting and going until you find lava or a waterfall. Then you hear the goddamn zombies.

In short, I'm looking for nothing. Just seeing what the hell is down there. I hate cave spiders.
Sounds in this game are so creepy. Especially when you know you're really deep down and you're surrounded by SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT mooooaaaan on every side and you just wanna find more STUFF and it's going to be hell to get back up. D:

long unedited boring clip of me digging deep

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
paranoidfortean said:

The best is when you go so deep and get so lost, you run out of torches. You then start digging to the surface, break through to see light... except you're under the OCEAN.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
Sounds in this game are so creepy. Especially when you know you're really deep down and you're surrounded by SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT mooooaaaan on every side and you just wanna find more STUFF and it's going to be hell to get back up. D:

long unedited boring clip of me digging deep
For a random little Java game, it's really nice that he uses directional sounds. They don't seem to attenuate much with distance (which adds to the uncertainty), but it's nice that you can actually wear headphones and be all OH CRAP THERE IS A ZOMBIE ON THE LEFT UPPER SIDE OF THE WALL!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Cryect said:
Completed a sky tower with a builtin water elevator.

Video of riding from my large underground chamber up to the top of my tower
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlhtXVrC_mU

30392dd.jpg
So, what are you going to do when they fix that bug :lol

That is what I like to do. That, and make tunnels. I tend to build a little base when ever I pop up for air because I run out of room to carry everything.

Bit hard to see, but you can make out some of the tunnels in this, a cropped view of my cave map, with my normal render for reference:

cave.png

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
perryfarrell said:
700 purchases in the last 24 hrs. It was 600 before that, and 500 before that.

this game is gonna explode
18,000 Euros for half a week of work. Great paying Job :lol

Havok

I picked this up yesterday, and I've been so completely surprised at how fucking rewarding this game is, just to see something you've created being expanded upon over time. After probably 8 hours, I finally tunneled my way into my first cave (which is strange, because I had seen literally zero enemies at that point, even though I had probably three miles of tunnels...it was a lava cave with no enemies, except on return trips there slimes started spawning (which startled me so much that I ended up falling in the lava...fuck).

Anyway, here is the ridiculous monstrosity I've created, it's completely blown away by the scale of everything else you guys have done, though.

a123gw.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Havok said:
I picked this up yesterday, and I've been so completely surprised at how fucking rewarding this game is, just to see something you've created being expanded upon over time. After probably 8 hours, I finally tunneled my way into my first cave (which is strange, because I had seen literally zero enemies at that point, even though I had probably three miles of tunnels...it was a lava cave with no enemies, except on return trips there slimes started spawning (which startled me so much that I ended up falling in the lava...fuck).

Anyway, here is the ridiculous monstrosity I've created, it's completely blown away by the scale of everything else you guys have done, though.

a123gw.jpg
I thought about doing that, but on a larger scale. But a mountain of lava just seems like it will be nothing but a major headache, my super high water fall was already problematic enough, starting out as 5 squares of water and coving 1/4of of the mountain.

Havok

Drkirby said:
I thought about doing that, but on a larger scale. But a mountain of lava just seems like it will be nothing but a major headache, my super high water fall was already problematic enough, starting out as 5 squares of water and coving 1/4of of the mountain.
Actually, your giant waterfall inspired me to build that smaller one in the pic, that actually starts up behind my fortress and flows down both sides of it. It really is a pain, but it was fun to just watch it go.

Also, do the sounds you hear underground usually correspond to something specific? I've heard basic ambient sounds which I assume are nearby caves and the slime sounds, but those are fine..

What isn't fine is tunneling along happily, hearing a fucking loud-ass ROAR all around you like a damn dragon is about to eat you, and not knowing what the fuck, and much more importantly, where the fuck it is. It kept me out of my tunnels for two world-days, just edging towards the door that separates the mine from the rest of the place.

Dragmire

I don't know what those sounds mean but this game scares the fuck out of me. I'm always afraid to go deep enough to find anything special.

IceMarker

Dragmire said:
I don't know what those sounds mean but this game scares the fuck out of me. I'm always afraid to go deep enough to find anything special.
Ah yes, you've discovered the ambient natural cave noises Notch added a few patches ago. :lol

It's difficult to explain what makes this game so special... but it really is.

There's a real thrill when you realize the how much there is to explore, the size of the terrain, the amount of stuff hidden underneath the surface. And then there's the building...

And nothing of it is predetermined. You are the first to lay eyes on the various parts of the level. It's funny how the player's world ends up being a combination of his/her own structures and randomly generated surfaces/dungeons. No predesigned levels whatsoever. Nothing scripted.

This is the definition of emergent gameplay.

It has some of the excitement of a good loot game, like Torchlight or something. But it feels much more limitless, much more 'natural.' Because of of the lack of design, in a way.

I don't know how much this game can be improved. I don't really think vehicles, or more enemies, or more mineable substances... can change the game a whole lot. I mean, it'll get better, but the funnest part of the game is what there's now.

Aaron

perryfarrell said:
700 purchases in the last 24 hrs. It was 600 before that, and 500 before that.

this game is gonna explode
If anything it deserves more. I'm taking a break from it until multiplayer kicks in, but it's easily the best game I've played all year.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MrMister said:
Ah yes, you've discovered the ambient natural cave noises Notch added a few patches ago. :lol
What annoys me is in one of my main rooms to my base, where I have a bunch of furnaces, there is sounds of a train. I want a train!

I have to say, the most fun thing is to grab like 20 blocks of wood, get a basic shovels and pick, and about 8 thing of coal, and mine your heart out underground. Pick breaks? Use the wood to make a crafting bench, make a new one, pack the bench back up. Find some iron and coal, want a better tool on the spot? Make a furnace, smelt your iron bars, make your tools, grab your work bench, and be off (Sadly you don't get the furnace back when you smash it, but cobblestone is so common it doesn't matter.)

So what to do, what to do...

And I am really awaiting multiplayer. Come on, launch it soon!

Drkirby said:
(Sadly you don't get the furnace back when you smash it, but cobblestone is so common it doesn't matter.)

You DO get it back! It drops when you smash it a number of times.

Multi-player? Well, the developer Notch said: at the latest, next week. So it's really a matter of days....

The person who was talking about a GAF server earlier should set something up once that time comes.

Well the multiplayer could still take quite some time, yesterday on my first try I connected to the multiplayer and it was kinda buggy and very laggy, getting stuck in blocks, respawning blocks, then Notch shut down the server. :(

Good times, though.

IceMarker

Prophet Steve said:
Well the multiplayer could still take quite some time, yesterday on my first try I connected to the multiplayer and it was kinda buggy and very laggy, getting stuck in blocks, respawning blocks, then Notch shut down the server. :(

Good times, though.
Well considering it's not done yet, has many bugs in it, had 8 connection attempts a second by thousands of people, and is hosted just from Notch himself, I wouldn't expect anyone to have an optimal experience with SMP just yet. ;D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
perryfarrell said:
You DO get it back! It drops when you smash it a number of times.

Multi-player? Well, the developer Notch said: at the latest, next week. So it's really a matter of days....

The person who was talking about a GAF server earlier should set something up once that time comes.
Are you sure? All the furnaces I have smashed just vanish.

Mudo

ARRRH SO many questions !!!! Please help!

1. I need some kind of map of my world - is this even possible?

2. I see different "graphics" posted on this page - is that the look of the setting that isn't "Fancy" ? I think I like the non-pixel look a bit more.

3. Is there a way to pull just 1 of an item off a stack?

4. Music is set to "on" - I hear sound effects but that is it - is it not in yet?

5. This is a more general building question since all I have done so far is burrowed into a mountainside and hollowed out a big area to keep all my stuff : How do you build something really tall and by that I mean, with the range of setting blocks down and the angle you have to be at, it seems like some sort of "fly around" mode like Little Big Planet or something would be really helpful. Short of that, how do you build something really tall/big? Start on the ground in the middle of it and just keep stepping up as you build underneath you?

Sorry for all the questions but I am really loving this game so far and just need a little help sorting some of it out =)

Mudo said:
ARRRH SO many questions !!!! Please help!

Use the cartographer program;

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13134

Mudo said:
2. I see different "graphics" posted on this page - is that the look of the setting that isn't "Fancy" ? I think I like the non-pixel look a bit more.

They're texture packs that people have made;

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12352

Mudo said:

Right clicking the stack divides it in half, so to place just 1 you have to pick up the whole stack and then right click where you want to place the single item.

Mudo said:
4. Music is set to "on" - I hear sound effects but that is it - is it not in yet?

It's ambient music, you'll only notice it at certain times.

Mudo said:
5. This is a more general building question since all I have done so far is burrowed into a mountainside and hollowed out a big area to keep all my stuff : How do you build something really tall and by that I mean, with the range of setting blocks down and the angle you have to be at, it seems like some sort of "fly around" mode like Little Big Planet or something would be really helpful. Short of that, how do you build something really tall/big? Start on the ground in the middle of it and just keep stepping up as you build underneath you?

Pretty much - at times you kind of have to edge yourself over the ledge to the point where you're about to fall off. Also, when building tall I find it useful to make support structures/scaffold out of gravity affected blocks like sand or gravel, as these can be easily destroyed from the ground once you're building is finished.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You can ether use Cartograph, or go to this page on the official site:

http://www.minecraft.net/infdev/preview.jsp

You can get some texture packs, but I am not sure where. Haven't installed any yet.

Left click it to grab the whole stack, while you have the whole stick right click a spot to drop 1 of it.

Anther tip is if you just right click the stack when you haven't left clicked it, you will grab half of the stack.

No, nothing yet. Maybe be tied to the ambient sounds in some places though.

There isn't really an easy way to do it, you can ether keep jumping from brick to brick, or jump up and put a brick under you, or you can make an exoskeletons out of dirt to help you and just get rid of it when you are done. Those big buildings took a lot of labor to make!

Mudo

Nice thanks for the quick response - I can't wait to get home this evening and play all night again! I'm going to have to do some really out-of-the-box thinking to create something that looks half decent.

RE: the graphics, does anyone have links to download/instructions on how to get them up and running?

Thanks again for all the help.

mandiller

TheExecutive said:
So after days and days of moving earth, leveling ground, and placing a foundation I have finally finished the outside walls of my Fortress

Here is the original site:

mine1.jpg

What texture pack is that and can you link me?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheExecutive said:
You should get them back no matter what... at least thats what I thought.
Yeah, don't know why I wasn't before. Oh well, that will be helpful.

Also, this is the worse cave evor D:

worse.png

You call that a cave game?

Cryect

Drkirby said:
So, what are you going to do when they fix that bug :lol:

Ladders (which is what I was using while I was making the tower) and stairways for mines. Though wouldn't surprise me if he left it in.

Caesar III said:
you need to go up and put a water source on top, that's it ;)

Heh yep, once I was satisfied with its height I placed a layer of dirt made an infinite water spring (2x2 hole with water in two opposing corners). Then dug out and filled in the rest. All the water on the inside is actually moving down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom