• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boonoo

mandiller said:
What texture pack is that and can you link me?
NYAnc.png

It was posted earlier in the thread, don't know the name or anything.

Also, note that it's a 32x32 texture pack so there are some ticks to it.
Burning is a bit screwy, and the water is a flat blue.
Also, the sapling is ugly as sin, so you might want to alter that a bit.

mandiller

Boonoo said:
http://imgur.com/NYAnc.png[IMG]

Also, the sapling is ugly as sin, so you might want to alter that a bit.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thank you! I really love this terrain. The game looks great.

Here is my castle I'm building. Complete with wooden roof, staircase through the mountain, and tower.

[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/fok3up.jpg

Twig

Banned
Is there a way to make smooth stone stairs OR cobblestone half-blocks? D:

They don't match and it's making me want to give up on my project. ):

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, now I can see why I was having problems breaking though to the surface with my new tunnel. I was carving up the side of a mountain.

Since its night, I quickly built a little shack on the very top. Need to link that to my tunnel below when day breaks, but I have hit the roof, I can't make it any taller :lol

top.png

tops2.png

topmap.png

I now have to go back down to the chest I made midway though because I was afraid something may kill me at some point. Got about 20 pieces of Iron and 64 more things of Coal, among other stuff.

Twig

Banned
Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

Due to the way stairs auto-align based on surrounding blocks, they aren't always in the direction I WANT and so I have to resort to using half-blocks.

javaw%202010-07-29%2011-02-16-49.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Twig said:
Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

Due to the way stairs auto-align based on surrounding blocks, they aren't always in the direction I WANT and so I have to resort to using half-blocks.

javaw%202010-07-29%2011-02-16-49.jpg
Yeah, I think you are just screwed.

I have found that if you build 2 blocks next to both ends of the row of stairs, they though all go up rather then some of them facing inward.

Twig

Banned
Yeah, but that kind of falls apart when you're trying to build a spiral-ish staircase. D:

And one you remove that block, they realign.

Razorskin

----- ------
Boonoo said:
http://imgur.com/NYAnc.png

Also, the sapling is ugly as sin, so you might want to alter that a bit.

Here's the full texture pack. (items, creatures etc) Though fire brick is still there.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bxhshedd9zbbwou

HVRgh.jpg

Looks like Notch is excited to have sold over 1000 copies in the last 24 hours. :D

Also some news from his blog

Notch said:
In more concrete news, I noticed that BIGJam starts next week. I will release the SMP server before I leave for that. It might be buggy, but I promise to fix it when I get back. It will be missing mobs. Mobs will come later on, and when they’re in, the game will officially be in beta, and the price will go up to 14.95 euro.
While in beta, I will start polishing the game and adding alternative payment providers for people who can’t use paypal, and keep piling in new content

He's adding alternative payment options AFTER beta, I hope you don't mind paying a bit more for the game sprsk.

mandiller said:
What texture pack is that and can you link me?

Here is the .png. It was found on the minecraft forums by someone on GAF. I have been trying to locate this terrain pack from those forums but have been unsuccessful. If you actually find the pack let me know as I would like to make sure I can keep up to date on it.

terrain.png

Boonoo

Razorskin said:
\

Looks like Notch is excited to have sold over 1000 copies in the last 24 hours. :D

Haha nice, looks like that TF2 blog bump helped out.

It's looking more likely there will be Steam in the future. I definitely wouldn't mind steamworks for multiplayer.

notch said:
This is so cool I can’t even start to grasp it! VALVe’s made four of my favorite games ever (HL1, HL2, Portal and Team Fortress 2), and I have secret dreams of getting Minecraft up on Steam once it’s more complete. I own almost 200 games on Steam, which honestly has helped keep AAA PC gaming alive after traditional publishers started abandoning it.

This is so cool that I can almost forgive them for forgetting about Gordon. Almost.

Not quite.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sooo glad to see Minecraft exploding. I think GAF might have had a little to do with it. So many people in the game industry read it, and this topic has been one Page 1 for over a week now.

Anyway, I decided I'm going to start up a little blog where people can show off their Minecraft creations. Those of you sharing stuff in this topic, please send those screenshots and any write-ups to minecraftcreations@gmail.com.

The blog is different than the pre-existing Minecraft Museum because projects can have multiple screenshots, they can have write-ups that go over the construction process, etc.

The plan is just to whip up a quick blog post for every project that gets mailed in. Then people can link to individual posts, etc.

So... PLEASE send in some of your stuff. I need GAF to help seed it :)

Found a cave system that extended under a frozen lake and section of it's roofed by ice;

java2010-07-2917-18-07-42.jpg

I've got to build something cool here, it calls to me :D

Has anyone tried making a building of ice? Like would it work if I made a mold of the building's shape, filled the mold with water and waited for it to freeze?

*edit, yeah - it works, really time consuming though. I'll post some pictures when it's done.

|ync

Finally finished my Mother Tree project (took forever for the last tree to grow, and then I decided it didn't look right and cut it down again anyway :/)

Adding waterfalls really brought the whole thing together I think, and I managed to do them all from a single watersource by routing streams around in the branches.

Here are some screens and I did a video walk around on Youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwd0IrXpzWc. on the left at the beginning you can see the start of my next project, hanging gardens for the side of my bridge.

mothertreefinal2.jpg

mothertreefinal1.jpg

I was trying to take some pictures at night but a giant freaking cloud got in the way and it was morning by the time it passed..
mothertreefinal3.jpg

mothertreefinal4.jpg

and if anyone was wondering what happens when you grow a tree through the skybox
throughtheroof.jpg

|ync

Bootaaay said:
Has anyone tried making a building of ice? Like would it work if I made a mold of the building's shape, filled the mold with water and waited for it to freeze?

*edit, yeah - it works, really time consuming though. I'll post some pictures when it's done.

not sure if you figured it out, but I don't think you need a mold, you can just place the water sources brick by brick and as long as the top is open it should freeze and the excess water will drain away.

Inkwell

Banned
This looked like a lot of fun so I picked it up. Dove in without reading how to actually play the game. I found a cave system that I fell into. I dug out by hand, only to be exploded by a creeper. I respawn, and then decide to attack some skeletons and died again. That's when I decided to look at a few guides.

Now that I think I understand how the game works, I'll actually be able to do something next time I play.

|ync said:
not sure if you figured it out, but I don't think you need a mold, you can just place the water sources brick by brick and as long as the top is open it should freeze and the excess water will drain away.

Oh nice, i'll try that next time - worked ok with the mold though, i'm going to replace the floor with dirt and see if I can tunnel my way to the bottom of the lake. Here's a few shots of my simple igloo;

java2010-07-2918-20-55-58.jpg

java2010-07-2919-08-49-13.jpg

java2010-07-2919-08-33-52.jpg

|ync said:
Finally finished my Mother Tree project (took forever for the last tree to grow, and then I decided it didn't look right and cut it down again anyway :/)

Adding waterfalls really brought the whole thing together I think, and I managed to do them all from a single watersource by routing streams around in the branches.

Wow, that is seriousley epic, the waterfalls looks awesome.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
can those texture packs get on the browser version at all? or is that DL only?

also, what are the system spec reqs for this game??

jon bones said:
can those texture packs get on the browser version at all? or is that DL only?

The texture packs work for both the DL and browser versions - both store the game data in a hidden folder in the windows user data folder; user/AppData/Roaming/.minecraft.

jon bones said:
also, what are the system spec reqs for this game??

Not sure, but it can be quite processor intensive at times - try running the free version in the browser with graphics set to fast and framerate limited and if it runs ok you should have no problems. The DL version uses more memory, which personally caused me a few problems with crashing.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Hello! The blog is up and live:

http://minecraftcreations.com/

PLEASE:

1) Send your construction projects to minecraftcreations@gmail.com. I'll post them right away.
2) Rate people's stuff. You can rate something 1-10 at the bottom of each post.
3) Spread the link.

Fake Edit:

Boot that igloo is GREAT. I haven't seen anyone make ice structures in that way... great idea. Now make a giant ice palace w/ towers :D

Philthy

FlyinJ said:
PC Gamer interviewed Notch yesterday:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/29/community-heroes-notch-for-minecraft/

And to put the debate to rest, according to Notch, the game is "a mixture of Dwarf Fortress, Rollercoaster Tycoon and Dungeon Keeper"

This is quite an awesome interview. It gives a good idea what he has envisioned. I really am excited as I hope he expands on the dwarf fortress automation aspect. That being said, I've been forcing myself to play more and I love this as it is. So going forward is huge.

Giard

Bought this and convinced a friend to buy it. We can't wait to get our server running and build/mine stuff cooperatively :D

Got my first diamond and first two gold bars today :)

Twig

Banned
perryfarrell said:
Grab bucket, fill 'er up, dump it somewhere. Voila, source.
Oh. I thought maybe people were talking about the actual sources of flowing water in the maps (like the top of a waterfall), and they would be finite sources.

|ync

GDJustin said:
Hello! The blog is up and live:

http://minecraftcreations.com/

PLEASE:

1) Send your construction projects to minecraftcreations@gmail.com. I'll post them right away.
2) Rate people's stuff. You can rate something 1-10 at the bottom of each post.
3) Spread the link.

Fake Edit:

Boot that igloo is GREAT. I haven't seen anyone make ice structures in that way... great idea. Now make a giant ice palace w/ towers :D

Sent in my tree.

On an unrealated note, has anyone else found that pressure plates don't trigger anymore when you drop stuff on them? I could have sworn a few days ago they did.. It's totally cramping my idea for a pitfall trap.

|ync

Twig said:
Oh. I thought maybe people were talking about the actual sources of flowing water in the maps (like the top of a waterfall), and they would be finite sources.

There are special blocks of water where are the water comes from (as you say the top of a waterfall, but also any block in the ocean), those are the only blocks you can pick up with buckets and when you put them back down the water starts flowing out of the new spot.

Same thing with lava, except no ocean.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Twig said:

Well, like that, they are. You can only fill a bucket from the top of a waterfall (you can't in the middle/bottom of it) and when you do it, you actually REMOVE the waterfall "spring". The rest of the water just vanishes with a small amount of time.

You can create a "infinite water pond" by placing two buckets of water in a very specific way and never taking another one out as long as there's currents, but water and lava physics are screwed up right now.

Twig

Banned
|ync said:
There are special blocks of water where are the water comes from (as you say the top of a waterfall, but also any block in the ocean), those are the only blocks you can pick up with buckets and when you put them back down the water starts flowing out of the new spot.

Same thing with lava, except no ocean.
drizzle said:
Well, like that, they are. You can only fill a bucket from the top of a waterfall (you can't in the middle/bottom of it) and when you do it, you actually REMOVE the waterfall "spring". The rest of the water just vanishes with a small amount of time.

You can create a "infinite water pond" by placing two buckets of water in a very specific way and never taking another one out as long as there's currents, but water and lava physics are screwed up right now.
Ohhhh.

That makes more sense. Thanks.

Dragmire

Okay, I finally found some diamond way down below my house. Seconds later, I slip and fall into lava, losing it and tons of other stuff. Thankfully, a few things of cobblestone, soil and stuff like that made it safely onto the side of the lava pit where I could retrieve them after respawning....

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
yup this game is pretty rad. I'd been following this thread for ~a week, enjoying what you guys have made and the fun/troubles you were having, but ultimately thinking it wasn't up my alley. I finally bought minecraft a few days ago, though, and have wound up playing for hooooours. Barely even touched SC2, yet.

drizzle said:

Ah, didn't know that one.

His treatment of water leaves something to be desired though.

One thing he could do is treat 'water source' blocks the same way he treats gravel blocks, i.e. susceptible to gravity. Then you could dig underneath a 'water source' block, make it fall down, which would lower the water level in a certain area.

But I guess you can accomplish that by putting the water sources in a bucket, and then putting them back in at a lower level?

BRB, trying it out.

Boonoo

drizzle said:

When I'm working with water I always make an infinite pond. Mine look like this
[ ][ ]
[ ]

I stick water in the bottom left and top right, and I can take the middle square as much as I like, as it always fills back to a flat square.

Huggy

Anyone seen the movie The Descent?

I was mining real deep and had scouted the caves and planted torches everywhere to see where they led, followed a few caves only to discover they went in a loop to some other location in the cave I was exporing.
On the way I gathered about 17 iron ore and other valuables, so I decided I needed to go back to the surface to store and melt my current inventory.
Unfortunately I went the wrong way back and got some skeletons from an unexplored branch following me. Trying to find my way back I only discovered more skeletons from unexplored branches while I was running in loops, returning to the main loop everytime.
After a while I was low on health of all the arrows shot at me, ate all my pork roast and I had lost the pursuing skeletons. Still hadn't found the one exit I was looking for and while searching for it I fell into a hole in the ground. The fall left me with half a heart of health on a spot I had passed four times already. A skeleton was in the same room.

After I respawned and my blood pressure returned to normal I immediately went back to place I died to get my stuff back. It wasn't there so I rage quit. Currently I'm building a fountain in front of my house with an animal pen. It's safe there.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
perryfarrell said:
Ah, didn't know that one.

His treatment of water leaves something to be desired though.

One thing he could do is treat 'water source' blocks the same way he treats gravel blocks, i.e. susceptible to gravity. Then you could dig underneath a 'water source' block, make it fall down, which would lower the water level in a certain area.

But I guess you can accomplish that by putting the water sources in a bucket, and then putting them back in at a lower level?

BRB, trying it out.

You can. But the water never spreads down like it was originally. You get a much smaller waterfall.

There's some logic to how the water behaves and when it splits into a bigger branch or not, but I've never bothered to figure it out. I rather wait for him to fix the water physics.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Really hope he changes the way you interact with the Fancy graphics clouds. It's extremely irritating to be working on something on a mountain, even inside your house, only for a cloud to pass through and not be able to see anything.

One of my few complaints, so not bad, but irritating. (I solve it at the moment by switching to Fast when working that high.)

Notch said:
Thanks for sending me your levels, please let me know if levels still crash after this update.
My level that was freezing is fixed :D Not sure I want to go back to it, I have a lot more stone prepared on my new file (though I haven't built anything yet, not sure what I want to build).

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I love this game! I've been playing it way too much though. Nothing like seeing blocks in your head while going to sleep. I wish there was a quick way to get out of caves though. I hate when I die and lose my items and can't figure out how to get back where I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom