• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
My level that was freezing is fixed :D Not sure I want to go back to it, I have a lot more stone prepared on my new file (though I haven't built anything yet, not sure what I want to build).
Awesome! I'm glad it worked out for you. :D I was afraid he'd have so much spam filter/email stuff that he wouldn't see it.

Oyashiro

If I buy the game now, will I only be able to download it on one computer? I wanna buy it before it goes into beta, but my current netbook runs it at 3FPS. I'm getting a hand-me-down Mac Book in a month and I'm pretty sure it should be fine on that.

Ferrio

Banned
Oyashiro said:
If I buy the game now, will I only be able to download it on one computer? I wanna buy it before it goes into beta, but my current netbook runs it at 3FPS. I'm getting a hand-me-down Mac Book in a month and I'm pretty sure it should be fine on that.

Download it as many times as you want or play in browser from any machine.

Razorskin

----- ------
Oyashiro said:

You can download it to as many computers as you want and play.

Twig

Banned
This staircase was a PITA. I died at least ten times during its construction. And shaving the bottom of excess stone was arghhh.

But at least I figured out how to make it without inconsistent half-blocks.

javaw%202010-07-29%2018-24-58-73.jpg

javaw%202010-07-29%2018-25-45-00.jpg

javaw%202010-07-29%2018-26-12-58.jpg

A friend points out that the first screenshot make it look like a sperm. :3

Now I need to decide how big I want this floating island to be. Wide-like, I mean, 'cause I'm already closer to the top of the world than I would have liked. ):

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Twig said:
This staircase was a PITA. I died at least ten times during its construction. And shaving the bottom of excess stone was arghhh.

How did you go about building that? Using dirt scaffolding? The old "inch next to the edge and place a block and hope not to fall off"?

Twig

Banned
FlyinJ said:
How did you go about building that? Using dirt scaffolding? The old "inch next to the edge and place a block and hope not to fall off"?
Building it, the latter. Cleaning it up, the former.

|ync

Twig said:

looks pretty sweet (was going to comment re sperm but you beat me to it :).. maybe you can turning into a snake or a dragon or something)

Don't know if it'll help but my technique for inching over the edge is to do it sideways rather than straight on.. let's see if I can describe this and have it make sense.
-go towards the edge you are trying to see over, somewhere safe, say half a square away
-point yourself so you are parallel to the edge then angle slightly in the direction of the edge
-tap forward, now you should be a bit closer to the edge
-if you are now close to falling of the other side of the block point yourself parallel to the edge then angle slightly away from the edge
-tap backward (alternatively you could turn 180 and repeat the forward step)
-repeat the zig-zag process until you can see a bit over the edge and place your block
I must have placed 300+ blocks using this strategy and fallen maybe once.

Regarding the excess stone, two tips (assuming you know in the first place it's going to be excess):
-use dirt instead of stone it's easier to clean up
-remove it right away, usually you can find an angle so you don't have to come back at it from the bottom

Blizzard

Banned
evlcookie said:
What the fuck.

When did suicidal bomber creepers during the day time enter the world :lol
If they spawn during the night they'll still chase you during the day.

Does anyone know if they just vanish if they spawn a certain distance away though? Otherwise if say, two spawn every night and take a long time to get close, I'd assume that eventually there would be an ARMY of creepers slowly making their way to my fort.

Also, what happened with that giant zombie screenshot a while back? Was that not in normal survival, or is it just really rare?

Twig

Banned
|ync said:
looks pretty sweet (was going to comment re sperm but you beat me to it :).. maybe you can turning into a snake or a dragon or something)
Once I get the end part finished, which is for now just that tiny dirt circle, it'll look a lot better and a lot less like a sperm. :lol
Don't know if it'll help but my technique for inching over the edge is to do it sideways rather than straight on.. let's see if I can describe this and have it make sense.
That's actually how I do it, too, but sometimes I get careless and back up too much so that I fall backwards instead of off the side. Hah.
Regarding the excess stone, two tips (assuming you know in the first place it's going to be excess):
-use dirt instead of stone it's easier to clean up
-remove it right away, usually you can find an angle so you don't have to come back at it from the bottom
Yeah, in the future I plan to do this. This first time, though, it didn't even occur to me to clean it up until after I finished.

Dragmire

|ync said:
I think that's the same technique I use. I basically sort of 'parallel park' slightly over the edge of a block. Instead of inching towards the edge straight-on, you approach the edge at an angle, thus having more room to inch your way over the side.

Expanded my Igloo from;

java2010-07-2919-08-49-13.jpg

To;

java2010-07-3001-01-53-94.jpg

Here's an animation of the different stages of the mold I used to construct the ice;

1fe47028962679f0804c3424cb6a70bc.gif

And the finished product;

java2010-07-3001-01-44-27.jpg

If I add towers, i'll probably do them in glass - waiting for ice to form is time consuming as hell, and then there's the issue with torches (unless 4 blocks away, a torch melts any ice in the area).

Verdre said:
Really hope he changes the way you interact with the Fancy graphics clouds. It's extremely irritating to be working on something on a mountain, even inside your house, only for a cloud to pass through and not be able to see anything.

One of my few complaints, so not bad, but irritating. (I solve it at the moment by switching to Fast when working that high.)

I am there with you. It is one of my only complaints, really bad.

Twig

Banned
Do redstone torches have the same effect? notsol337 was asking me earlier but I had no answer.

It would be cool to have a heat-less light source in the game.

Dragmire

Twig said:
Is there a way to make a minecart go uphill? U: Without slimes?

Or can you just like... move uphill while you're inside? I haven't made one yet, but I am thinking of using one to make lava farming faster.

And speaking of lava: do lava pools down below act like oceans, where every tile is a lava source?
There might be tricks to getting minecarts uphill, but generally, no. Going uphill slows them down. They need to go downhill to build momentum. I realized that the hard way. I had two lookout towers and tried to create a minecart track in the sky connecting them. But after the stone foundation was built and I started putting tracks down, I realized that a straight, level track wouldn't allow me to travel the whole way. After that, I started creating steps that lead up to a peak where the track has at least an eight-block decline to build momentum. Then it'll coast for... maybe 150 blocks or so.

Also, yes. Lava pools are like that. You can grab lava from any tile. The difference is that it spreads/moves more slowly.

Twig said:
Do redstone torches have the same effect? notsol337 was asking me earlier but I had no answer.

It would be cool to have a heat-less light source in the game.

You can make torches from the red stone? I thought it was just for logic switch stuff, so i've got a ton of it sitting unused - i'll make some red stone torches and get back to you, if they don't give off heat that would be a HUGE benefit for my level.

*edit, awesome - red stone torches don't melt ice!

java2010-07-3001-30-32-06.jpg

Twig

Banned
I'll share mine once I finish it. O: (If I remember.)
Bootaaay said:
You can make torches from the red stone? I thought it was just for logic switch stuff, so i've got a ton of it sitting unused - i'll make some red stone torches and get back to you, if they don't give off heat that would be a HUGE benefit for my level.

*edit, awesome - red stone torches don't melt ice!
Woohoo! It's a shame they don't appear to give off much light, though. ):

Also: IT BEGINS.

javaw%202010-07-29%2020-51-02-48.jpg

sgnhh

Neo Member
is there any way to set the spawn point in alpha? I want to go off exploring but I don't want to go too far, build a sweet base then die and spend 30 minutes trying to find it again.

Razorskin

----- ------
sgnhh said:
is there any way to set the spawn point in alpha? I want to go off exploring but I don't want to go too far, build a sweet base then die and spend 30 minutes trying to find it again.

I got you covered.

Razorskin said:
MineEdit

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14733

Go to where you want to spawn, save and exit your world. Open in MineEdit, click on environments tab and click the "Set Spawn to Players Pos" button, save and close.

Edit: fixed the link, thanks spinningfrog

sgnhh said:

I might suggest building a road back to the spawn point after creating your base, saves a lot of time.

edit:
Razorskin said:
I got you covered.
Your link doesn't work.

Twig

Banned
Can someone who's In The Know explain to me what Survival Multiplayer will entail, exactly? Is it... basically the same thing I'm doing now, only with multiplayer? Or is it like some sort of horde mode where you have to build a base and survive against waves of monsters? Or what?

Whoa, GAF plays Minecraft now? I have been out of the loop for too long. :lol

Game is badass, though with the tease of multiplayer coming soon, I'm starting to feel like single player is kind of pointless. It's hard to get motivated to start a big project when I could wait a few weeks and be working on it with a server full of other players. Still a lot of fun, though.

Twig said:
Can someone who's In The Know explain to me what Survival Multiplayer will entail, exactly? Is it... basically the same thing I'm doing now, only with multiplayer? Or is it like some sort of horde mode where you have to build a base and survive against waves of monsters? Or what?
Initially, just the same as now but with multiplayer, and maybe some new anti-griefing mechanics (the current game could have some nasty exploits if left alone).

Down the road, I dunno... I think he's still planning to add monster variants (fast zombies, big creepers, and the like) and more random structures seeded into the map (similar to the current monster spawn rooms). At one point he talked about doing a horde-like zombie fight mode, but I'm not sure if that's still in the works.

Max

I am not Max
ZZMitch said:
This game looks really cool...

Is it all about building or is there lots of stuff to explore as well?
Exploration is a huge aspect. Finding materials to assist you in building and mining is the main objective basically, that and surviving.

ZZMitch said:

There's enviroments to explore, caves to mine, monster dungeons to find etc, but it's all randomly generated and if the building aspect doesn't interest you very much, I don't think there's all that much to hold the players attention.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I tried to get into this but it is so confusing.

Can I create my own levels without the actual mining and stuff part (like the mode where I can choose which block I want to place that I see in videos) for free? Or is that alpha only?

Max

I am not Max
enzo_gt said:
I tried to get into this but it is so confusing.

Can I create my own levels without the actual mining and stuff part (like the mode where I can choose which block I want to place that I see in videos) for free? Or is that alpha only?
That's the free version, under classic on the homepage

ZZMitch said:

There's quite a bit to explore. The caves can be really cool -- on my current map, I stumbled into a huge cave system that reaches from ground level to near the bottom of the map, with lots of cool multi-level waterfalls and lava pools. I've spent a couple hours in that cave alone, and I still don't think I've seen it all.

Above-ground stuff isn't quite as exciting to me, but boats make surface exploration a lot more interesting than it used to be.

enzo_gt said:
But can I save my levels for future viewing/editing?
Yeah, but I think it saves it on the server, so you're limited to five levels and you can't really back them up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
rohlfinator said:
Yeah, but I think it saves it on the server, so you're limited to five levels and you can't really back them up.
Thanks. Captcha isn't loading and I can't register D:

Dineren

Banned
rohlfinator said:

Saves are actually stored on your computer. In windows 7 they're located at Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves.

Dragmire

Is it weird that I've never found a chest in the mines? I've explored quite a lot of mines and rather extensively. Are they super rare?

Dineren said:
Saves are actually stored on your computer. In windows 7 they're located at Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves.
For the alpha client, yeah, but for the free creative version, I think they're stored server-side. I can't find them in the normal save spot, and I think I've been able to access my saves from other computers. I could be wrong though.

Dragmire said:
Is it weird that I've never found a chest in the mines? I've explored quite a lot of mines and rather extensively. Are they super rare?
They're pretty rare, and it's not guaranteed that they'll be connected to anything, so a lot of them end up encased in stone somewhere with no caves nearby.

Twig

Banned
javaw%202010-07-29%2023-14-38-45.jpg

Getting closer.

Do leaves grow back? I got a naked tree sittin' there and nothing grew back in one day but I dunno if it takes a while or what.

Dineren

Banned
rohlfinator said:
For the alpha client, yeah, but for the free creative version, I think they're stored server-side. I can't find them in the normal save spot, and I think I've been able to access my saves from other computers. I could be wrong though.

Oops, missed that you were talking about the free client, sorry.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Dragmire said:
rohlfinator said:
They're pretty rare, and it's not guaranteed that they'll be connected to anything, so a lot of them end up encased in stone somewhere with no caves nearby.
That's why you "cheat" your way through it with Cartographer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV_tCcUHrHE

Blizzard

Banned
rohlfinator said:
For the free MULTIPLAYER creative servers, they're stored on the server, so you can just keep playing on the same server to build something assuming you have protection from griefers.

I have found one dungeon legitimately. I don't use the cartographer since I feel like it'd be cheating/make the exploring part not as fun for me, but that's just me. If scary music starts playing you might be near a dungeon (or you might just be near monsters I guess).

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
I have found one dungeon legitimately. I don't use the cartographer since I feel like it'd be cheating/make the exploring part not as fun for me, but that's just me. If scary music starts playing you might be near a dungeon (or you might just be near monsters I guess).
I think the scary music is just random while you're underground. Maybe. Unless you mean actual MUSIC music and not just ambient sounds.

I have no idea if I've found a "dungeon" or not. What differentiates a dungeon from a normal cave?

Twig said:
I have no idea if I've found a "dungeon" or not. What differentiates a dungeon from a normal cave?

I think I just found my first dungeon - it's different from normal caves in that this one's filled with about two dozen skeletons and i've died 3 times already trying to explore it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Bootaaay said:
I think I just found my first dungeon - it's different from normal caves in that this one's filled with about two dozen skeletons and i've died 3 times already trying to explore it.
Yeah, thats my guess. I still have yet to go back to the area infested with enemies yet, its in my Northbound tunnel.

Also, something I just thought of, is there any counter for you being an idiot and putting a pool of Lava right at spawn?

Blizzard

Banned
Bootaaay said:
They have chests, an enemy spawner block (or two) that takes a long time to kill by mining, and the walls are mossy cobblestone. It's the only place in the world you can find that stone I believe. And I think the scary music is when you are mining in the direction of enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom