• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

This game is awesome.

This first night came so quick I was unprepared, i somehow got to the top of a tree and survived half way through the night until a zombie started shooting me with arrows.

The second night I prepared and built a house inside of the cliff face (although I have not found coal yet so its been dark and scary).

Day came and I went to leave the door and there are still the green exploding zombies outside my house! Those dudes wont go away! Do they eventually die or do I have to deal with them myself somehow? There are two of them waiting outside my door and I am very scared.

sophora

ZZMitch said:
This game is awesome.

This first night came so quick I was unprepared, i somehow got to the top of a tree and survived half way through the night until a zombie started shooting me with arrows.

The second night I prepared and built a house inside of the cliff face (although I have not found coal yet so its been dark and scary).

Day came and I went to leave the door and there are still the green exploding zombies outside my house! Those dudes wont go away! Do they eventually die or do I have to deal with them myself somehow? There are two of them waiting outside my door and I am very scared.

Those green zombies are Creepers, they don't die to sunlight. You gotta fight them off yourself sadly or wait till they walk away.

ZZMitch

sophora said:
Those green zombies are Creepers, they don't die to sunlight. You gotta fight them off yourself sadly or wait till they walk away.

Darn, do they spawn in night, or if I kill the ones around my house will I be free forever (or until others wander into my area of operations)?

Dragmire

Drkirby said:
Also, something I just thought of, is there any counter for you being an idiot and putting a pool of Lava right at spawn?
I've messed around with this a little. I've dug holes right below my spawn point and it just shifted my spawn point to a different tile very close to it. In fact, I think it always puts you on a slightly different tile.

Somebody explain the water to me, why does it angle downward after it flows? I want to reroute the water into the middle of a big are and even though the floor beneath it is all even, the water keeps going down and then randomly stops into a block before the wall. How the hell do you get it to reroute and stay level?

Blizzard

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Darn, do they spawn in night, or if I kill the ones around my house will I be free forever (or until others wander into my area of operations)?
They spawn at night or in dark caves, and they can live in the daylight. I still haven't found out for sure if they "despawn" if they don't find you after a certain amount of time or something. If you kill the ones around your house, you'll be free until more of them spawn.

You can fight them especially if you have a sword by hitting them and running away, but you'll probably get hit in the blast. If you can mine a block out where you can see them over the edge of it, you MIGHT be able to punch/slice them over the block, wait until they run up to it again, etc. Basically, you can make a window and fend them off I think. It's when you get closer than a block (i.e. if you walk right up to a wooden door) then they will blow you and your house to bits.

Devil Theory said:
Somebody explain the water to me, why does it angle downward after it flows? I want to reroute the water into the middle of a big are and even though the floor beneath it is all even, the water keeps going down and then randomly stops into a block before the wall. How the hell do you get it to reroute and stay level?
Water's kind of weird in its current form... there are two types of water, basically -- "source" and "flowing".

Source blocks are like you see in lakes or the ocean. They're flat, they generate flowing water that flows downhill, and they can spread to create new source blocks on the same level.

Flowing water just goes downhill until it hits something, it never really pools anywhere. To fill an area, you'll have to manually place source blocks with a bucket. If you grab water from the middle of a pool, it'll regenerate, so you'll have an infinite supply.

He's messed around with the water a lot in the past, and I think he's planning to change it again eventually, but he wants to focus on multiplayer and stuff before that.

What are the ingredients for TNT?

According to the wiki, it's sand plus another item that doesn't look like flint or coal. What is the other element?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
perryfarrell said:
What are the ingredients for TNT?

According to the wiki, it's sand plus another item that doesn't look like flint or coal. What is the other element?

Sand and gunpowder. You have to get Gunpowder by killing Creepers or finding it in dungeon chests.

ZZMitch

Blizzard said:
They spawn at night or in dark caves, and they can live in the daylight. I still haven't found out for sure if they "despawn" if they don't find you after a certain amount of time or something. If you kill the ones around your house, you'll be free until more of them spawn.

You can fight them especially if you have a sword by hitting them and running away, but you'll probably get hit in the blast. If you can mine a block out where you can see them over the edge of it, you MIGHT be able to punch/slice them over the block, wait until they run up to it again, etc. Basically, you can make a window and fend them off I think. It's when you get closer than a block (i.e. if you walk right up to a wooden door) then they will blow you and your house to bits.

Just made a sword, gunna try that out once morning comes around again... I hope they don't blow a gaping in the side of my house or kill me since I only have 3 health!

Twig

Banned
I have absolutely no idea where this is taking me anymore except that I'm going to put a big castle in that patch of solid ground in the back there (behind the middle patch).

javaw%202010-07-30%2002-20-32-98.jpg

It is starting to look ridiculous. But I just can't stop. U:

Also holy shit that grass is taking forever to make it up the stairs. I might leave it on overnight, see what happens. D:

EDIT: Also, it's not easy to tell because of the angle, but that line from left to right is actually in the exact MIDDLE of the circle. It's pretty big. 80x80.

Hey everyone loving this game so far. One question.

OSX support? I play it on my system fine, but I want in on the mods, level editors and cartographer stuff.

How can I skin my world :(

need help please.

Sye d'Burns

HenryGale said:
Hey everyone loving this game so far. One question.

OSX support? I play it on my system fine, but I want in on the mods, level editors and cartographer stuff.

How can I skin my world :(

need help please.

I found a very helpful post by Z31 on the official minecraft forum.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20711

I've seen quite a few threads asking how to do this. So here's the deal, on a Mac, we don't need to change the .jar file to change the textures.
All you need to do is place the terrain file in the same directory as the client.
If you want to change more than just the terrain, such as the sun or moon image, then you will need to examine the jar file and find out the name of the folder in which the images for those things are. For example, sun.png and moon.png are in a folder named terrain. Once you find out the name of the folder you need go back to the place where you have Minecraft.app placed and make a folder with the same name. This is where you place the image files.

Just in case you didn't understand that, which you should, just make a folder wherever. Then put minecraft.app in it.
Put the texture terrain.png in it and you're done!

As for the cartographer and the other mess, I'm not too sure about that. Virtual machine would probably be easiest.

Philthy

I was digging down as far as I could last night, and when I started seeing the red speckled fireish blocks, I also found some other blocks that I couldn't even seem to begin to mine. I tried about 5 different pickaxe types with no luck.. I couldn't go down any further because the entire area was just littered with these blocks I couldn't get through.

How do I get through them?

Yeah, Starcraft 2 what? That's collecting dust.

Blizzard

Banned
Philthy said:
I was digging down as far as I could last night, and when I started seeing the red speckled fireish blocks, I also found some other blocks that I couldn't even seem to begin to mine. I tried about 5 different pickaxe types with no luck.. I couldn't go down any further because the entire area was just littered with these blocks I couldn't get through.

If they're dark blocks then they're presumably adminium or whatever you want to call them, blocks that indicate the bottom of the map. If you ever find a hole in them and jump through you'll fall to your death and lose all your items.

The red spcekled blocks give you redstone ore if you mine them, though you may have to use a stone pick-axe or higher. I'm not sure.

Acosta

Philthy said:

Yeah, Starcraft 2 what? That's collecting dust.

I guess they are grey with thick black lines. That's bedrock, it's indestructible, you can't pass beyond that.

Twig

Banned
Max said:
Twig what exactly are you making?
I don't knoooooow!!!

Seriously. It's just a circle with some funky designs in it and then I'll add a castle and plant some trees and wait a million years for grass to make it allll the way up here on a dirt staircase I made expressly for that purpose.

|ync

Twig said:
I have absolutely no idea where this is taking me anymore except that I'm going to put a big castle in that patch of solid ground in the back there (behind the middle patch).

It is starting to look ridiculous. But I just can't stop. U:

Also holy shit that grass is taking forever to make it up the stairs. I might leave it on overnight, see what happens. D:

EDIT: Also, it's not easy to tell because of the angle, but that line from left to right is actually in the exact MIDDLE of the circle. It's pretty big. 80x80.

It's starting to look really awesome now (whatever it is), keep updating us :)

To answer your earlier question about leaves growing back: as far I can tell leaves never grow after the tree pops up.

Philthy

Acosta said:
I guess they are grey with thick black lines. That's bedrock, it's indestructible, you can't pass beyond that.

Ah okay, thanks guys. I guess I was expecting to just run into a flat layer of impenetrable blocks, and not ones that were just casually placed around on different planes of Z axis.

Also, for the half blocks, it seems I can only place them individually on the lower half of a full block space. I think my vaulted ceilings would look much better if I could somehow place a half block on the top portion of a full block space. Is this possible?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
I have no sound whatsoever from Minecraft after updating. gg

Edit: Nevermind. I see it was just redownloading the sounds in the background.

Wired

Bought the game a couple of days ago, and yeah it's awesome. The comparison to Dwarf Fortress (right up there as one of my favorite games ever) is not without reason, sure right now it's nowhere near as complex (to be fair it's fairly limited) but hey it's early days and even if it only becomes half as good I'll never go outside again.

Right now what I'd like the most is the ability to create elevators, building staircases takes forever. :lol Especially since I'm having a hard time aligning stairs, I wish the game gave a wireframe preview or something before I placed them.

edit: Stuff like this is why I love PC gaming

Twig

Banned
Wired said:
Bought the game a couple of days ago, and yeah it's awesome. The comparison to Dwarf Fortress (right up there as one of my favorite games ever) is not without reason, sure right now it's nowhere near as complex (to be fair it's fairly limited) but hey it's early days and even if it only becomes half as good I'll never go outside again.

Right now what I'd like the most is the ability to create elevators, building staircases takes forever. :lol Especially since I'm having a hard time aligning stairs, I wish the game gave a wireframe preview or something before I placed them.

I had trouble with stairs too. They auto-align. But a block where you want the back of the stairs to be and it should make things easier.

Also: WOOHOO! Powered minecart! Now my plans for my floating island just got a million times more ambitious. D:

Bootaaay said:
java2010-07-3017-26-46-41.jpg

Not as cute as the sheep though :D
Pig is totally the most adorable. x:

AND THEN I CHOP IT UP FOR FOOD

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, how much coal does that minecart eat though?

Also, apparantly you can now make Flint arrows instead of Iron!
Great, now I have a use for those few hundered things of flint I have :D

Twig

Banned
piratepwnsninja said:
Awww, looks like the file isn't there anymore.
Damn. The update just cleared my mod and I didn't keep the file. D:

Looks like we're both out of luck! C'est la vie. There are some other neat-looking mods on the Minecraft forums, though.

Which... I am trying to get the link to, but the forums won't load. D:

Inkwell

Banned
I think I'm finally beginning to understand why everyone loves this game. I'm still learning the basics, so I was wondering if anyone has any beginners tips that might not be so apparent. I've been mining. That's pretty much it. I have a shack I built with a workbench and a storage box. It's on top of a mountain that I have been mining out. That's pretty much where I stand right now.

Bootaaay said:
Anyone notice the cows have horns now? Looks weird.

Also, apparantly you can now make Flint arrows instead of Iron!
Now I can make arrows, yeah! I did not want to waste my iron on them so far. Flint was useless except flint and steel so far, right?

YEAH @ Minecart! I need to try that now. Perhaps I meet a chicken to make even more arrows.

And wow @ awesome music.

Blizzard

Banned
Wired said:

You can make ladders, they might work better than stairs for you.

Also, I just played a bit of the multiplayer. Smelting didn't work, time didn't seem to pass, but you could recover health with peaceful mode. It was kinda glitchy and apparently flying hacks/glitches/bugs etc. work. We got people to go explore an island but I fell off my signal tower and died, and Notch apparently killed the server before I got back over. Oh well!

Typing /home respawns you, but apparently doing that in a boat makes you glitched. Typing /iron gives you iron, /spew gives you stairs I think, and you can't get boat materials back.

Wired

Blizzard said:
You can make ladders, they might work better than stairs for you.

That's true, but I don't like the look of them. And they are not as visually impressive as a nice staircase :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom