• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorskin

----- ------
i4uMf.png

Record player, plays records

EGD7R.png

My own picture of cacti that has grown. I split a 2 block cactus to make these.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Great update. Flint Arrows + Chickens means bow & arrow is finally fully viable. Powered minecarts makes minecarts actually viable/practical. And music is just happy icing.

For next Friday, I'm (still) guessing on cloth dyes. I also bet a sea mob (shark) will be added, since Notch specifically mentioned them a while back. Lastly I think crafting recipes for milk and eggs will be introduced.

Rapstah

So does the powered mine cart mean we can actually make real, functioning ways of getting up high buildings without moving our asses now? Great!

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Twig said:
I have absolutely no idea where this is taking me anymore except that I'm going to put a big castle in that patch of solid ground in the back there (behind the middle patch).

javaw%202010-07-30%2002-20-32-98.jpg

It is starting to look ridiculous. But I just can't stop. U:

Also holy shit that grass is taking forever to make it up the stairs. I might leave it on overnight, see what happens. D:

EDIT: Also, it's not easy to tell because of the angle, but that line from left to right is actually in the exact MIDDLE of the circle. It's pretty big. 80x80.

Made me think of the man-made islands in Dubai and whatever :D

Twig

Banned
FINISHED! (WITH PART TWO!)

Part one was the staircase (which, thanks to some inspiration from friends, I am now affectionately calling the Spermcase).

Part two is this mother bitch:
javaw%202010-07-30%2013-34-22-09.jpg

javaw%202010-07-30%2013-40-13-79.jpg

javaw%202010-07-30%2013-45-31-11.jpg

I like the shadow. O:

I think I am going to take a break from building for a while and go exploring some more. :D

Twig

Banned
Aw man! I just had an idea to make a fountain in the middle of that circle but water only falls down. ): I suppose I could use glass to sort of fake a spout.

*ponders*

Dragmire

That's amazing, Twig.

I'm not really understanding powered minecarts. I can't ride in mine. It seems like right click just makes it go, but you have to hold it and follow the cart for it to keep going. I feel like I'm pushing a payload cart in TF2.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Dragmire said:
That's amazing, Twig.

I'm not really understanding powered minecarts. I can't ride in mine. It seems like right click just makes it go, but you have to hold it and follow the cart for it to keep going.

I think you make a regular one and put it on the tracks in front of the powered one. The powered one then pushes it.

Twig: That looks really cool -- the shadow is super awesome. How come you switched your tileset back?

Can't wait to play this update -- I have a bunch of stacks of iron set aside to make minecart tracks just for this purpose. I can't wait to see the awesome rail networks that people build in multiplayer.

Arrows being more viable is welcome, too. And those chickens might be my favorite animal yet.

Razorskin said:
Record player, plays records
Interesting... have they figured out how to make records yet?

Twig

Banned
Aw, thanks dudes. :3
rohlfinator said:
How come you switched your tileset back?
Update overwrote it, and the download link for the pack doesn't work anymore. I'll probably try another one soon enough.

Bison11

I think as soon as I get some extra scratch I am going to have to get this. There has been many times where I have been bored, and this can definitely fill that void. Looks really really cool

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
I think the chickens lay eggs. I found one laying on the ground a minute ago and I haven't killed any in a while.

Twig said:
Aw man! I just had an idea to make a fountain in the middle of that circle but water only falls down. ): I suppose I could use glass to sort of fake a spout.

*ponders*

Just put the source block at the top of where you want the spout shooting to, possibly with a single block beneath it to give the fall some width?

Dragmire

Hmm, I'm having trouble getting a powered minecarts to push me. Maybe it's not possible? When I put a regular minecart down and put a powered one behind it, it just goes in the opposite direction. I also tried connecting carts in some way, but at least with iron, it doesn't work.

Also, I killed a creeper and found this black and green thing. Is this a record? I don't have any diamonds so I can't make a record player to find out.

69ntxt.jpg

Philthy

Dragmire said:
Hmm, I'm having trouble getting a powered minecarts to push me. Maybe it's not possible? When I put a regular minecart down and put a powered one behind it, it just goes in the opposite direction.

Also, I killed a creeper and found this black and green thing. Is this a record? I don't have any diamonds so I can't make a record player to find out.

69ntxt.jpg

I think I read on the blog you want more than one powered cart to move you.

Razorskin

----- ------
Dragmire said:
Hmm, I'm having trouble getting a powered minecarts to push me. Maybe it's not possible? When I put a regular minecart down and put a powered one behind it, it just goes in the opposite direction. I also tried connecting carts in some way, but at least with iron, it doesn't work.

http://i27.tinypic.com/69ntxt.jpg

That's definitely a record

I like the music, it tells me when it's morning.

Dragmire said:
Okay, I'm dumb. Just checked the blog. You need to use coal on the powered mine cart and it'll go one its own.
but still in the wrong direction? How can I make it so that it pushes me in the other cart? ;)

Twig

Banned
platypotamus said:
Just put the source block at the top of where you want the spout shooting to, possibly with a single block beneath it to give the fall some width?
Yeah that's what I intend to do, but it won't look quite right.

I have an idea, though. It's cool.

For now I am just going to explore again. :3

Cryect

Twig said:

*ponders*

You can place a water spring up in the air fairly simply. Just place blocks underneath up to where you want the water then place the spring and remove the blocks underneath it.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, here are my creations in my survival mode so far. A few large water features, a 4 story base, a basement where the tallest water fountain drains, a doorway to hell and a tunnel to the nearby island. I love this game.
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

IceMarker

GDJustin said:
For next Friday, I'm (still) guessing on cloth dyes. I also bet a sea mob (shark) will be added, since Notch specifically mentioned them a while back. Lastly I think crafting recipes for milk and eggs will be introduced.
Next Friday is SMP no matter what as he's leaving for BIGJam this weekend. :D

Dragmire

Caesar III said:
but still in the wrong direction? How can I make it so that it pushes me in the other cart? ;)
I had to put a regular minecart down, then a powered one behind it. Then I stood on the powered cart, inserted coal and jumped into the regular minecart. I think you have to insert coal while facing the direction you want it to go.

Vinci

Danish
When multiplayer is added, are we going to be able to join one another's worlds that exist already or simply start brand new ones and have to start from scratch? 'Cause I'm building something that I highly doubt I'd want to make again, but would be excellent for multiplayer (ie. inviting friends in and such).

I'm basically creating a giant dungeon / maze that is going to be pitch black and is far underground. There will be multiple floors, I assume plenty of mobs to fight, and a chest full of treasure at the end of the complex, given people are able to survive. I suppose I could always let people log in on my computer and try to run through it, but it's simply not as fun that way.

If nothing else, it'll give me something to do when I'm tired of mining, farming, building, etc.

Whoa, using Minecraft as a dungeon builder, that's a great idea. I wonder if you could make interesting traps with the pressure plates and redstone and stuff.

If it is a separate hosted server, we totally have to build various community arenas for competitions. Gladiator combat, mob run dungeons, boat races, shooting galleries...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
platypotamus said:
Whoa, using Minecraft as a dungeon builder, that's a great idea. I wonder if you could make interesting traps with the pressure plates and redstone and stuff.

If it is a separate hosted server, we totally have to build various community arenas for competitions. Gladiator combat, mob run dungeons, boat races, shooting galleries...
I want to try and make an "uncrackable" vault, and put out a challenge for people to try and get the item inside.

Vinci

Danish
platypotamus said:

Well, the only way I'd be willing to do something like this again would be if I could share the load with others. Each floor of this thing is square and 500 blocks across. I'd like to have ten floors. So far, just while working on the thing, I've been attacked a number of times by zombies and skeletons. Haven't seen any slimes yet though - I'm hoping they'll show up in the thing as well.

Seriously, this is taking forever. I've barely even built a thing on the surface. So yeah, having lots of people to help construct such things would be awesome.

javaw2010-07-3016-20-42-88-1.png

Building I'm pretty much done with for the moment. Kind of looks like a jail to me. :lol Not the prettiest building (looks better with the water moving I swear) but I still like it.

Entrance is a ladder on the center pillar. Enemies don't seem to be able to get past the waterfalls, just sit at the bottom. (I've seen enemies climb waterfalls but they don't seem to notice me at the top here). There is a big dirt wall around it I need to knock down, figure I'll do that later.
javaw2010-07-3016-55-20-43.png

View from the tower looking behind the building, think I want to build a powered mine cart rail going through this area (toward the original spawn point).

Dragmire

Vinci said:
When multiplayer is added, are we going to be able to join one another's worlds that exist already or simply start brand new ones and have to start from scratch? 'Cause I'm building something that I highly doubt I'd want to make again, but would be excellent for multiplayer (ie. inviting friends in and such).
This is something I wonder about. It could probably happen at some point. And your dungeon idea is very interesting. Lots of possibilities.

Vinci said:
Probably not officially, but if the map format for multiplayer is similar enough, someone will probably write a tool that'll convert single-player maps to the new format. I think Notch has discussed completely breaking map compatibility at some point though, so it's hard to say.

Your dungeon idea sounds like fun. I think he's considering something similar for the third game mode (in addition to creative and survival) where blocks are largely indestructable and it plays more like a traditional action-adventure with locks/keys, magic spells, and other traditional fantasy tropes, and we'll be able to use creative or survival mode to construct the challenges.

Blizzard

Banned
Prophet Steve said:
Wow, amazing update finally an better use for flint. Gonna try it now.
Is there a reason the wiki isn't updated yet for flint? Can you still use iron as well?

I tried going to the Flint page, but got:
This page has been deleted. The deletion log for the page is provided below for reference.

* 20:04, 27 June 2010 Quatroking (Talk | contribs) deleted "Flint" ‎ (content before blanking was: 'you all suck ass')
* 19:10, 25 April 2010 Quatroking (Talk | contribs) deleted "Flint" ‎ (read the fucking rules you cunt)
He's the head admin so I dunno what happened with the first Flint page.

Huggy

It's a shame you can't make better bows that shoot beter. Maybe we should be required to add tips to the bow when crafting, with the material of the tips defining the strength. There's just that amount left on the 3x3 grid.

Oh crap, creepers have somehow breached my defenses. I must not have torches somewhere I should. Or else they blew a hole in something while I was underground. Really wishing I had a bow and arrow with me so I could take them out from a distance. This could end badly.

EDIT: Got by the creepers with more damage to my stairs than to me, but then the sun came up and I have a new problem:

2di3bfb.png

My moat is keeping undead alive during the day time??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom