• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Can anybody confirm if the dungeon areas can spawn a "creeper spawn"?

I've only seen Spider, Zombie and Skeleton (on youtube) spawns. I really wish we could get a creeper spawn, so we can farm powder.

Also, has anybody created a device that will kill monsters from the spawn cubes inside dungeons? I've made a couple with water, but half of the time the item will just stay there in the middle of the pool (with monsters spawning every couple seconds, so i can't just swim there). Only like half of the drops gets carried by the current. I'm loaded on strings (because i did this on a spider spawn thing).

I would be able to level the underground cave/tunnel system i found under my house if i had easy access to TNT.

Cday

Banned
Anyone else have trouble getting a snow level? The first level I generated was a snow level, which was back in version 1.0.6 but since then no snow level.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
platypotamus said:
And then a Creeper appeared, blew me and my bridge sky high. Today's patch made the game a bit harder, yes?

Had the same impression. No problem before and since todays patch creepers, zombies, skeletons and chickens everywhere.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to get on the multiplayer server for about 15 or so minutes and made a poor little GAF sign up on a small island off where you spawn, but got disconnected.

Don't know if it was just me, but it was very laggy. The entire main island was strip mined and it was rather like being on the free multiplayer version, except you had to dig up blocks.

God's Beard said:
Same here, they seem to stay out in the day longer too. I died twice today :/
Yeah, today I've had some of my toughest fights in a long time. He definitely tweaked the enemies.

It's hilarious how animals and monsters can ride minecarts, although it has screwed me over a few times when a skeleton unexpectedly camps out in the cart outside my base.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Added fire to the water:
firewater.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
God's Beard said:
Same here, they seem to stay out in the day longer too. I died twice today :/

My first contact with a creeper:
2ajbb6s.jpg

and while we are at it a few other pictures of my not so interesting home. I actually started home underground in that cave and this is right below the waterfall i made.

30jh5hy.jpg

2vkgmsz.jpg

Oh and I actually like it that I can venture into the deep right from my cave house.
And this is another shelter I made underground when I couldnt figure out how to exit this cave system
2v9yqs3.jpg

So, I have been waiting to pass judgement on this game and am still waiting for a final product for my final thoughts on it but I don't know what else to say other than this is one of the most original addicting games I have played in a decade.

I am not a big fan of games where you build things but there is something about mining and then turning those goods into structures and items that is the most rewarding thing I have ever done in a video game. The core game experience may be the best game system in the 21st century. I never give games this high of praise but this has been the biggest surprise in a game in recent memory.

Like I said, I will wait for the final product but the core gaming experience is straight up revolutionary. If you are on the fence, like I was about buying it, its only 13 bucks. That's it. Do whatever it takes. I know have 60+ hours into the game in a little over 10 days. I NEVER play games that much.

Twig

Banned
Anyone know of a simple guide to making your own texture pack? I was thinking about it, since they're such small resolution and I have experience with making low-res tilesets (on a few personal projects). x:

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
TheExecutive said:
So, I have been waiting to pass judgement on this game and am still waiting for a final product for my final thoughts on it but I don't know what else to say other than this is one of the most original addicting games I have played in a decade.

I am not a big fan of games where you build things but there is something about mining and then turning those goods into structures and items that is the most rewarding thing I have ever done in a video game. The core game experience may be the best game system in the 21st century. I never give games this high of praise but this has been the biggest surprise in a game in recent memory.

Like I said, I will wait for the final product but the core gaming experience is straight up revolutionary. If you are on the fence, like I was about buying it, its only 13 bucks. That's it. Do whatever it takes. I know have 60+ hours into the game in a little over 10 days. I NEVER play games that much.
Now can you imagine it with a totally freeform online multiplayer community?
It sends shivers down my spine.

TheExecutive said:
The core game experience may be the best game system in the 21st century. I never give games this high of praise but this has been the biggest surprise in a game in recent memory.

Yup. yup. It's totally refreshing compared to recent mainstream games. The fact that it's totally unscripted and not pre-determined gives it a totally different feel.

He's onto something BIG here, and I wouldn't be surprised if the industry is very interested in this little game.

It's also great that he's able to take inspiration from games like Dwarf Fortress, yet keep it accessible.

Hard to explain.

It's a digging/exploring/surviving/farming/building game in a procedurally generated world where no event is scripted.

Try it, it's unique. Unlike anything you've ever played. (Esp. if you're a jaded gamer!)

The Technomancer

perryfarrell said:
Hard to explain.

It's a digging/exploring/surviving/farming/building game in a procedurally generated world where no event is scripted.

Try it, it's unique. Unlike anything you've ever played. (Esp. if you're a jaded gamer!)
With a healthy dose of survival horror. Absolutely nothing like the raw terror that fills you when you suddenly hear "hissssssss"

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ether_Snake said:
Can someone explain this game to me please?
You mine, you build stuff. You try to keep the stuff you built from being blown up by exploding enemies, and hide from the undead at night.

Its like Harvest Moon in terms of describing. "Its a game about farming" sounds boring on paper, but its super fun.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Drkirby said:
You mine, you build stuff. You try to keep the stuff you built from being blown up by exploding enemies, and hide from the undead at night.

Its like Harvest Moon in terms of describing. "Its a game about farming" sounds boring on paper, but its super fun.
So, Creepers do blow stuff up? How do you keep them from doing so? I hear they spawn in daylight.

ZZMitch

So I have this annoying habit it over-exploring caves... I ended up falling down a waterfall under my spawn house all the way to the bottom of the map and I had to dig myself out... I ran out of pix axes and had to do the last half of it by hand :lol

I then went exploring again and got lost, so I had to dig myself out again, and with my luck when I finally came out (it took forever!) I was on top of the highest mountain the game... so much extra work.

On the bright side I am now a master of building quick, efficient houses. I build a furnace and a work bench, put glass on top of them, and door in between the furnace and the work bench and then cobblestone for the remain wall/roof. I only have 1 square to stand in, but it gets the job done for a night. :D

The Technomancer

Brazil said:
So, Creepers do blow stuff up? How do you keep them from doing so? I hear they spawn in daylight.
When you get too close, they start hissing, and like two seconds later if your still in range they blow up. The only way to stop them is to kill them, usually by whacking them and running away to a safe distance, then whacking them again.

Of course, that's no good if, like repeatedly happens to me, they sneak up on or just randomly drop from a cliff above. Then it just goes "hisssssss OH SHIT BOOM!"

I wish this game had some kind of demo for the alpha version. It's kinda hard to get people interested when the creative mode is so different from survival.

Brazil said:
They don't spawn in daylight, but they'll stick around if they spawned during the night, and they don't catch fire from sunlight.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't think creepers spawn in daylight. They will follow you if they're close enough in daylight. I still don't know if they despawn or if they just follow you forever.

And to the person asking about the game, there's a free really old survival version you can play on the website (I'd have to look for the link). It's a building/mining/crafting sandbox game. You can lose stuff if you die, but you don't die permanently, and there is no fixed objective right now. If you like sandboxes and building/mining/exploring, then it can be neat.

*edit* Here's the really basic classic survival, without crafting etc. http://minecraft.net/survivaltest/

maybe a stupid question, but can you play and enjoy this game just by exploring and fighting monsters? I mean, can you ignore all the farming and, err, crafting?

Twig

Banned
You need to craft to effectively fight monsters. And in order to get the materials you need to craft weapons and armor, you need to mine. Unless you just want the weakest shit like leather armor and a wooden sword.

So, no.

Also, simply fighting monsters and and exploring doing nothing else would not be that rewarding at all. In my opinion.

The Technomancer

Linkzg said:
maybe a stupid question, but can you play and enjoy this game just by exploring and fighting monsters? I mean, can you ignore all the farming and, err, crafting?
...hm, kinda? The landscapes themselves are really nice to look at and explore, but I would see exploring and fighting getting old fairly fast. Plus every time you die puts you back at your original respawn, which makes large scale exploration difficult.

Blizzard

Banned
Linkzg said:
It's definitely geared more towards the farming/crafting/building/constructing, with fighting only needed occasionally or in order to survive (or perhaps clean out a dungeon area). Eventually that might change, but don't buy it if you want Torchlight/Rogue style fighting games!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Linkzg said:
Well, you have to craft your weapons.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Linkzg said:
You can do without the farming.

Crafting is used for you stuff, but its simple. You have a little 4 space grid in your inventory for small things to make, and a 9 space grid from a work bench to make larger stuff. Like a pick ax is made of 2 sticks, and 3 wood/rocks/iron/gold/diamonds depending on the type.

So I have this annoying habit it over-exploring caves... I ended up falling down a waterfall under my spawn house all the way to the bottom of the map and I had to dig myself out... I ran out of pix axes and had to do the last half of it by hand

I then went exploring again and got lost, so I had to dig myself out again, and with my luck when I finally came out (it took forever!) I was on top of the highest mountain the game... so much extra work.

On the bright side I am now a master of building quick, efficient houses. I build a furnace and a work bench, put glass on top of them, and door in between the furnace and the work bench and then cobblestone for the remain wall/roof. I only have 1 square to stand in, but it gets the job done for a night.
Yeah, this is why you always carry a good chunk of wood bricks with you. You can craft them into work benches and then into more picks.

hmm, ok. I'm still generally confused about it but very interested. From my limited understanding it looks like it combines garry's mod with daggerfall or something.

ok, one final question is if you can go full screen with the purchased version. seems to have the option to download or play in browser and I'm guessing the downloaded version can just be resized?

Blizzard said:
I don't think creepers spawn in daylight. They will follow you if they're close enough in daylight. I still don't know if they despawn or if they just follow you forever.
I think all the animals/monsters despawn eventually if you move far enough out of range. I dunno what they do if you stay close by, though.

Linkzg said:
hmm, ok. I'm still generally confused about it but very interested. From my limited understanding it looks like it combines garry's mod with daggerfall or something.

Just buy it. Get on the hype train. It's better than the hype suggests.

This game is gonna be big.

Edit: Yes, you can play in full screen.

The Technomancer

perryfarrell said:
Just buy it. Get on the hype train. It's better than the hype suggests.

This game is gonna be big.

Edit: Yes, you can play in full screen.
Seriously, even if you don't end up liking it, its worth 10 bucks just to see what its about.

Twig

Banned
Linkzg said:

ok, one final question is if you can go full screen with the purchased version. seems to have the option to download or play in browser and I'm guessing the downloaded version can just be resized?
It can be resized, and F11 makes it go full screen.

It is like Garry's Mod in a... way sort of. You can't just spawn things all willy-nilly. You actually have to explore and get the materials. It does have logic gates like Gmod, though! I haven't messed with any of it (red stone), yet.

I never played Daggerfall, so can't comment on that. Though I thought Daggerfall was an RPG. This is not an RPG. x:

Twig

Banned
rohlfinator said:
I think all the animals/monsters despawn eventually if you move far enough out of range. I dunno what they do if you stay close by, though.
Don't even have to move far away. Just turn your back to them. I was eyeing some spiders I wanted to kill for their silk while I was busy building a roof on a new mine base and turned my back for like two seconds and then it (and a creeper) was gone. Nowhere to be found, and nowhere it could have gone. It was out in the open.

Twig said:
It can be resized, and F11 makes it go full screen.

It is like Garry's Mod in a... way sort of. You can't just spawn things all willy-nilly. You actually have to explore and get the materials. It does have logic gates like Gmod, though! I haven't messed with any of it (red stone), yet.

I never played Daggerfall, so can't comment on that. Though I thought Daggerfall was an RPG. This is not an RPG. x:

daggerfall comparison is mostly just what the style reminds me of. plus daggerfall was a huge game where you could explore the vast unknown and get a remarkable sense of discovery. seeing stories about digging underground and seeing something crazy gives me that warm feeling.

The_Technomancer said:
Seriously, even if you don't end up liking it, its worth 10 bucks just to see what its about.

Most likely I will tomorrow. I dicked around with the free version a while back and enjoyed that.

Ignignort

Started a new world today, went digging and found 10 diamond which was awesome considering I just needed some Iron :D

From this angle my base kind of looks like a chicken...
5z2t75.png

Dragnet

Just in case you guys weren't aware of the latest Secret Friday Update..

-Powered Minecarts added
-Storage Minecarts added
-Chickens added
o Chickens can drop multiple feathers.
o Chickens occasionally drop eggs (while alive).
-Improved cow skin
-Jukebox added
o Records added
-Music added (Three new songs in addition to the old three. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmiXaQ-v5co)
-Various other sound effects added (See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FZLkxJYd-o)
- Arrows are now made from flint instead of iron.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dragnet said:
Just in case you guys weren't aware of the latest Secret Friday Update..

-Powered Minecarts added
-Storage Minecarts added
-Chickens added
o Chickens can drop multiple feathers.
o Chickens occasionally drop eggs (while alive).
-Improved cow skin
-Jukebox added
o Records added
-Music added (Three new songs in addition to the old three. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmiXaQ-v5co)
-Various other sound effects added (See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FZLkxJYd-o)
- Arrows are now made from flint instead of iron.

I had no idea there was music before. I was messing around earlier and heard a few songs though, I was shocked. They were all quite beautiful too.

I love this game. It just keeps getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom