• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkwell

Banned
I'm really enjoying myself with this. The randomness adds excitement too. Right now I'm still trying to find more diamonds for some better equipment, but I can't wait to start building a few things I have in mind. I haven't even had the chance to experiment with minecarts yet.

One time I went down into my mine only to find out I had a bit of a zombie infestation. I really need to learn how to use torches a bit more effectively.

I hate skeletons, there's no worse enemy in the game. I used to dread creepers, but I can keep them at a distance with my bow, skeletons are another matter, I now dread dropping down to a dark level of my mine, in case there's a skeleton I can't see lurking in the shadows. Fuck them.

IceMarker

Here's my two maps I've been traversing, the top one being my main one and where my huge city on the water will be built and the bottom map being my exploration map.

Map 1
2ngtvms.png

Map 2
33c3oms.png

Bootaaay said:
I hate skeletons, there's no worse enemy in the game. I used to dread creepers, but I can keep them at a distance with my bow, skeletons are another matter, I now dread dropping down to a dark level of my mine, in case there's a skeleton I can't see lurking in the shadows. Fuck them.
They were much worse in Indev and Infdev, Notch in the recent patches has actually slowed it's targeting a lot. It used to be where the skeleton would very rarely miss from a distance.

Danneee

Arrows should be easier to make in large quantities, that is probably my only complaint. Everything else is soo good, though I fell that the more I read about the game the less I want to play it. So I'll just stay out of this thread.

nataku

Danneee said:
Arrows should be easier to make in large quantities, that is probably my only complaint. Everything else is soo good, though I fell that the more I read about the game the less I want to play it. So I'll just stay out of this thread.

I'm finding them pretty easy now. Flint and wood are everywhere, and now that chickens are in the game a quick slaughter of a few of them yields a handful of feathers.

Razorskin

----- ------
New blog post of what to expect next month

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/883733186/fyi-my-schedule-for-the-next-month

Notch said:
Next week:

Tuesday or Wednesday: A first, very rough, version of Survival Multiplayer

Thursday: I leave for BIGJam in Berlin, a weekend of meeting other indie game developers and making games.
There won’t be a seecret Friday update next week, because of this.

August 10: I return from Berlin!

August 11-13: Patching up multiplayer bugs, doing a small Friday update

August 16-20: Work as usual, regular Friday update

August 21-22: I Livesteam myself participating in Ludum Dare 18, a 48 hour game development competition. It’s be several hours of watching eclipse and hearing me mumble as I get increasingly tired.

August 25-29: I go to Finland. This means another missed Friday update!

August 30: Back to work, finishing up survival mode multiplayer. Enemies will probably get added around here.

I may or may not have entered some dates wrong.

Vinci

Danish
Linkzg said:
maybe a stupid question, but can you play and enjoy this game just by exploring and fighting monsters? I mean, can you ignore all the farming and, err, crafting?

If I do, in fact, finish my dungeon and I'm able to share it with other people? Then yes, you won't have to craft a thing or mine at all. You'll just go through the maze and fight (I'm assuming) loads of friggin' mobs.

Still haven't had a slime show up in the thing yet though, which is worrisome. I actually died last night working on it. I think one of the huge caves I found wasn't properly lit and tons of shit came into my construction area and ripped me a new one.

EDIT: I haven't said anything till now, Twig, but I'm really digging what you're doing with your space.

Twig

Banned
I'm just hoping he doesn't add gravity or something for dirt while I'm working on it.

'Cause then I'd be screwed! (I don't really care what happens once I finish - I'll probably move on to a new world.)

Vinci

Danish
Twig said:
I'm just hoping he doesn't add gravity or something for dirt while I'm working on it.

'Cause then I'd be screwed! (I don't really care what happens once I finish - I'll probably move on to a new world.)

So far, I've built everything with support of some kind. No free-floating blocks. Because I'm really scared of him adding proper gravity and all this nifty shit falling from the sky. Fortunately, that's not much of an issue with my dungeon - but another world I'm working on has some more extreme elements and I'm trying to ground them as much in the realm of possibility as I can, just in case.

Basically, gravity scares us.

EDIT: Also, the 2nd world I'm working on... The more I explore it, the more amazed I am at it. My first world (my dungeon) is a winter themed one and its landscape is very limited from what I've seen thus far in my remote spawn area, but this second one is just gorgeous. Bamboo, amphitheater shaped caverns, waterfalls. It's like the exact opposite of my first place in which I didn't care whether I ripped apart the entire world around me - in this one, I'm trying to preserve it while building in it.

Nice change. Love the randomness of these worlds.

Javaman

Cday said:
Anyone else have trouble getting a snow level? The first level I generated was a snow level, which was back in version 1.0.6 but since then no snow level.

I just created one yesterday, 2nd try was snow.

I screwed up last night. After encountering a spider spawn I was going to preserve it into a zoo with observation windows, but I read that if you hit it with a pick it'll switch to producing pigs. Unfortunately it disintegrated into nothing so there goes an easy source of silk or meat.

This game is really cool. First game I played, I saw a huge mountain, so I decided to climb it. On my way up I kept hearing weird noises. When I finally reached the top and was checking out the view, something exploded that knocked me off to my death. At that point I realized it was a wise purchase.

Vinci said:
If I do, in fact, finish my dungeon and I'm able to share it with other people? Then yes, you won't have to craft a thing or mine at all. You'll just go through the maze and fight (I'm assuming) loads of friggin' mobs.

when it does to get that stage when you can you play other people's labyrinths like that, it will be even more cool.

Vinci

Danish
Linkzg said:
when it does to get that stage when you can you play other people's labyrinths like that, it will be even more cool.

And if no one else can play it at any point, it'll give me a nice way to farm mobs and a fun diversion from mining and building. So yeah, it's a win-win. :D

EDIT: I so rarely see creepers that when one decides to come out of nowhere and blow me up, I fear them intensely.

ZZMitch

MrMister said:
Here's my two maps I've been traversing, the top one being my main one and where my huge city on the water will be built and the bottom map being my exploration map.

Map 1
2ngtvms.png

Map 2
33c3oms.png

They were much worse in Indev and Infdev, Notch in the recent patches has actually slowed it's targeting a lot. It used to be where the skeleton would very rarely miss from a distance.

How do you get these map views?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Got a cheap pair of 3D glasses only to figure out the game most likely needs the Green/Magenta type and not Red/Blue :/

Vinci

Danish
My god, I just got completely zerged. Died working on my own damn dungeon. Need to explore and figure out where these guys are coming from. :lol

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Drkirby said:
Got a cheap pair of 3D glasses only to figure out the game most likely needs the Green/Magenta type and not Red/Blue :/

I tried his 3d and it's neat, but the glasses I have are Green/Magenta and I had to turn them upside down because his 3d requires it to be Magenta/Green, apparently. So I can't exactly where them while playing for very long.

Edit: Boy do I feel dumb. My glasses are cheapo cardboard so all I have to do is bend the ear pieces backwards and I can wear them properly...

Boonoo

2nvyqa0.png

I made a giant pit! (The dark blue at the bottom is bedrock.)
with massive amounts of TNT meticulously placed so as not to crash the game

Blizzard

Banned
82% memory!

Did you use an editor to get all the TNT, or did you take years to harvest it from creepers? And what sort of skin is that?

(creepers have finally shown up in my latest world, by the way...and I love chickens, even if only one out of four dropped a feather for me)

Boonoo

I used an editor to place it in 6x6x6 blocks; I could put 3 or 4 of those down, and they would all chain together. Any more than that and it would crash. The first time I tried it I stuck a sphere that must have had a diameter of 250 blocks down. That broke the game almost instantly.

During the explosions it maxes out the memory. It's strange, though, because it's not as through these massive explosions were overly taxing my pc. I had plenty of resources to spare--they more or less break the game's constraints, though. I wonder if there is a way to let the game take up more memory and whatnot.

The skin is one I've been making based on Paul Cezanne's Mont Sainte-Victoire.

It still needs a lot of tweaking.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Boonoo said:
I used an editor to place it in 6x6x6 blocks; I could put 3 or 4 of those down, and they would all chain together. Any more than that and it would crash. The first time I tried it I stuck a sphere that must have had a diameter of 250 blocks down. That broke the game almost instantly.

During the explosions it maxes out the memory. It's strange, though, because it's not as through these massive explosions were overly taxing my pc. I had plenty of resources to spare--they more or less break the game's constraints, though. I wonder if there is a way to let the game take up more memory and whatnot.
You could just walk away from the explosion, face the other way/down and only come back to the scenario later.

There's a link to another forum on this thread of a dude doing insane shenanigans with TNT and that's how he does it.

Boonoo

drizzle said:
You could just walk away from the explosion, face the other way/down and only come back to the scenario later.

There's a link to another forum on this thread of a dude doing insane shenanigans with TNT and that's how he does it.

That was working to a point; I can get up to 10x10x11, but 12x12x13 breaks the game no matter where I'm looking. Putting down several smaller blocks seems to work well enough, though. It gives me a little more control.

Edit: on a third attempt the 12x12x13 almost worked. Or at least it lasted a long time. If he would double the amount of available memory we could really get cooking. Although, I still have doubts about the 65600 block I was starting out with (not to mention the 1000000 blocks of TNT I tried).

Blizzard

Banned
This game is too much for my heart. First, I found out that a relatively small tunnel cave went all the way through the mountain, coming out in one or two places under the giant Moria-like cave entrance at the base of my main fortress's cliff. Then, I realized it was getting dark and had to hightail it all the way around the mountain back to my base shelter (which may also be pretty close to spawn...it's down there for safety and also mining).

THEN, I went down the Endless Stair I had constructed, to the bottom of my mines, where I had found the dungeon, and started exploring. I found what may have been my first random cave zombie, as I was exploring some tunnel I hadn't walled off far beneath my mountain base cave house, and I tried to turn and run, getting stuck on rock or something, before remembering I had a sword and killing it. I also heard some scary groan/growl elsewhere.

And THEN I found that the tunnel there apparently connected to a deep sand/rock sinkhole near a waterfall/ocean cave I had started to light up previously. It's going to take me ages to light all this stuff up, but at least I've found a little bit of iron in these tunnels. It doesn't seem to occur more than a few blocks at a time so far for me.

I want to start farming grain and cacti soon. It would be nice if you could farm flowers...I haven't found any papyrus to farm yet.

Dragmire

Blizzard said:
I want to start farming grain and cacti soon. It would be nice if you could farm flowers...I haven't found any papyrus to farm yet.
Same experience as me. I've been playing the game (rather extensively) for over a week and haven't found any papyrus. I also don't know how to farm grain.

I've notice my computer gets noticeably hot when I play this game and the fans kick on high. I haven't notice this with any other game. I just built it last year using the PC thread, and it plays most games at max settings. I have an AMD Phenom II x2 processor (could never unlock the extra cores), 4GB of RAM, and a Radeon HD 4850 with 512MB of onboard memory. What are the possibilities of overheating or anything bad happening to my PC?

[fake edit]Ah, got some advice from this forum post. I didn't have 'limit framerate' on.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, you probably want to turn limit framerate on. You'll get 40-80 fps that way or thereabouts and it should work well.

Also, for anyone wanting to play with more memory, make sure you have the Sun JVM (the official one, it should be somewhere like Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_17), and download the Linux / Other client from http://minecraft.net/download.jsp. Run it, and try using options like:

java -Xmx2048M -Xms1024M -classpath Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

The Xmx option specifies the max heap, and Xms specifies the initial heap. By default, I think the Windows .exe launcher uses 1024 and 512 respectively.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing this game for a couple of days, truly an experience. I really need to start farming.

If I was to show my world on my friend's computer, but he has his own profile, would my worlds overwrite his worlds or any other thing to worry about.

Razorskin

----- ------
n8BitMan said:
Been playing this game for a couple of days, truly an experience. I really need to start farming.

If I was to show my world on my friend's computer, but he has his own profile, would my worlds overwrite his worlds or any other thing to worry about.

World's are saved locally, if you login on his computer you would get his worlds.

Blizzard

Banned
Are there any specific music triggers? I heard some new music once, I think, and I once heard the classic (calm?) music, but it doesn't seem that music necessarily plays when it's morning. Maybe only if you are under open sky?

Twig

Banned
So as you can imagine, it is a PITA to walk around on this mother.

javaw%202010-07-31%2011-02-12-51.jpg

I was considering filling in the holes with glass. Should I? x:

Dragmire

Something weird I've noticed is that I have never had any monsters or animals spawn in my mountain-side house. But it has many skylights and has paths all throughout the mountain, including the top (it's a smaller mountain). Do they not spawn in closed-off areas? Mobs seem to, at least down in caves. And I did have sheep spawn in my glass dome on top of the mountain once. But I even have some paths in my house that lead deep down to mines. I just think it's strange I've never had mobs spawn anywhere in the house, and I'm sure someday I'm gonna turn a corner and be greeted by eight skeletons.

Blizzard said:

I also haven't, but I haven't found any standing water on my world yet either. I've explored decently far in every direction, but I seem to have spawned in Nebraska or something. One of my big goals for the next play sessions is to do some extensive exploration.

Razorskin

----- ------
platypotamus said:
I also haven't, but I haven't found any standing water on my world yet either. I've explored decently far in every direction, but I seem to have spawned in Nebraska or something. One of my big goals for the next play sessions is to do some extensive exploration.

I was lucky and found some a few blocks away from my spawn. Now I have so much of it I have a chest full of books.

dejay

Banned
Twig said:
I was considering filling in the holes with glass. Should I? x:

Only if the texture pack you're using has cleaner looking glass than the original.

Dragmire said:
Something weird I've noticed is that I have never had any monsters or animals spawn in my mountain-side house. But it has many skylights and has paths all throughout the mountain, including the top (it's a smaller mountain). Do they not spawn in closed-off areas? Mobs seem to, at least down in caves. And I did have sheep spawn in my glass dome on top of the mountain once. But I even have some paths in my house that lead deep down to mines. I just think it's strange I've never had mobs spawn anywhere in the house, and I'm sure someday I'm gonna turn a corner and be greeted by eight skeletons.

I've had pigs and cows spawn inside my home because of the grass floor (pretty sure you need grass) but torches keep the night crawlers from spawning in the area you place them. Dig out a basement and keep it in blackness and see what happens :D

Borman

Screenshot2010-07-31at22052PM.png

Talk about scary as hell, I found a lava cavern while I was mining with this dude. Luckily, the AI isn't smart, so it fell into the lava for me.

Twig

Banned
dejay said:
Only if the texture pack you're using has cleaner looking glass than the original.
Yeah, I don't like the way glass looks/works in this game. I wish if you had to blocks of glass next to each other, the edges between them would either disappear completely or at least fade a little bit so it looks like one solid piece instead of multiple pieces.

Air Zombie Meat said:
Do you not get any animals spawning up there? Would be hilarious to watch them falling off of it.
Yeah, actually, I get quite a few. All I have to do is walk in circles a bit and the thing just fills up.

javaw%202010-07-31%2011-09-29-49.jpg

This is actually pretty empty compared to how it can get.

I also got a skeleton up here once. Hell if I know how. Whole thing's covered in torches, and I thought they didn't spawn around torches? Or is that wrong?

Boonoo

Twig said:
Yeah, I don't like the way glass looks/works in this game. I wish if you had to blocks of glass next to each other, the edges between them would either disappear completely or at least fade a little bit so it looks like one solid piece instead of multiple pieces.

The level of opacity is hard coded into the game D:
Right now only ice and water can be translucent. It would be nice if he added glass to that.
You can always add transparency, though. So what you could do is make glass completely transparent with a light sheen in the middle. That way the edges don't pop out.

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
The level of opacity is hard coded into the game D:
Right now only ice and water can be translucent. It would be nice if he added glass to that.
You can always add transparency, though. So what you could do is make glass completely transparent with a light sheen in the middle. That way the edges don't pop out.
I know, that's what I'm saying. I don't like how it's done!

I am going to make my own skin soon at some point in the indeterminate future, and plan to do exactly what you say here.

Died for the first time on this map (a few days now). Fell into lava.

Luckily I put down a piece of cobblestone that managed to save a few items from falling right into the lava and I got back to them in time, despite being completely lost. Still lost all my new iron ore, arrows, and diamond sword.

Reminds me of Demon's Souls. All I can think of is that lost progress!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm on the fence.

I'm a little girl when it comes to video games, so I would really like to set my difficulty to Peaceful. But I have to be brave! Damn it, haha.

How does Peaceful works? There are no enemies, or they just never attack you?

Twig

Banned
I went back to my first mine/cave system because I wanted a change of pace and never fully explored it.

javaw%202010-07-31%2018-42-54-67.jpg

This place is full of stuff! At the bottom of that water/lava fall there is an entire cave system I hadn't explored yet - or so I thought! It eventually met back with another place had previously visited and thought lost. Soooo much lava. Now what do I want to make out of obsidian? U:

I was thinking, since my plans for the castle are way too big, I'd use obsidian to make the fountain. But then again I have like five lava pools marked out for usage later one across my other two mines, and then there's everything down here. So maybe I do have enough? HMMMMMM.

Whatever the case, I need to find a way to make it easier to transport all this lava.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom