• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorskin

----- ------
Brazil said:
I'm on the fence.

I'm a little girl when it comes to video games, so I would really like to set my difficulty to Peaceful. But I have to be brave! Damn it, haha.

How does Peaceful works? There are no enemies, or they just never attack you?

No enemies and if you lose health by falling or touching lava you health regenerates. (as long as you don't stay in the lava too long)

Man, I'm mining below my castle right now, and near certain walls in my mine I can hear the sounds of Zombies/Skeletons. I know I'm going to end up breaking the wrong wall down and getting a total undead invasion. I need more iron to make some armor.

Quixzlizx

Man, I wish Notch would make it so we can place torches and ladders on glass. I have a mountaintop greenhouse that's been fuglified by the ring of wood halfway up so I could place torches on it.

Hmm I'm thinking about getting this, but I'm not sure if my laptop will handle it very well.

Specs:
AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300 2.00 GHz
3.00 GB RAM
AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
Running Win 7 64-bit Home

What do you guys think?

Razorskin

----- ------
sw33tclyde said:
Hmm I'm thinking about getting this, but I'm not sure if my laptop will handle it very well.

Specs:
AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300 2.00 GHz
3.00 GB RAM
AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
Running Win 7 64-bit Home

What do you guys think?

Try the free version, but there shouldn't be any reason why it wouldn't run smoothly.

http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp

It runs pretty well on normal viewdistance. I'm just worried about mobs/inventory/etc/etc, but they wouldn't make that much of a difference I suppose. Perhaps I'll bite..

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
sw33tclyde said:
It runs pretty well on normal viewdistance. I'm just worried about mobs/inventory/etc/etc, but they wouldn't make that much of a difference I suppose. Perhaps I'll bite..
It's basically the landscape that requires most of the memory grunt since it is all randomized.

nataku

So what are some mining techniques you guys use? I'm starting to explore the caves in my world and finding tons of coal with a little bit of iron, but that's it. Do you guys mostly stick to caves, or do you just go and randomly start digging in the dead ends of the caves you find?

Quixzlizx

Here are a couple of pics of my greenhouse, which is on top of a mountain (the mountain I've carved my home from).

minecraft04.png

I wish there were a way to light it up without that stupid ring of wood. I think it's affecting the crops right below it, too. I've managed to find one bucket of lava, but not a second needed to make an infinite spring, unless lava works differently.

minecraft01.png

The view from the top.

I'll have more pictures when my crop has fully grown in, as well as when I can figure out how to use lava at the top.

Trying my hand at farming finally. Where do I get wheat seed to grow it in my farms? Also, I tried to grow reeds in submerged water but it just unplanted itself with 2 reeds instead of the one i planted. Whats up with that?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Do we have a list of people planning to run a server? The beta server should be up this week.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Kuran said:
Will we be able to host our single player maps as servers?

It should be possible, but I don't think it's confirmed.

filipe

Razorskin said:
Filipe offered to do it

Came into the topic at the right moment.

I plan on doing it. There should be no issues. It'll be running of either an iMac with 4GB or a Dell with 4GB. Both DDR3. Unlimited bandwidth + high speed should give us a good run.

I want to say that I read that the current multiplayer that has been going on with the password supports 16 at once, but I might be making that up.

filipe

OK guys, I'm still hella confused about texture packages.

Do I need to delete each individual texture (sword, dirt, stone, etc) and replace with an individual texture? As in, I need multiple images to replace multiple images? I always see the images combined in one, but don;t know how that actually works.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
filipe said:
OK guys, I'm still hella confused about texture packages.

Do I need to delete each individual texture (sword, dirt, stone, etc) and replace with an individual texture? As in, I need multiple images to replace multiple images? I always see the images combined in one, but don;t know how that actually works.

You just pop open the minecraft.jar and paste those combined images into the appropriate folder. Those combined images are how the textures are stored for the game to use. So, no, not single images unless you want to combine different texture packs, in which case you'd have to open the files in an image editing program and do a lot of copy pasting.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Shit... Its 5 a.m.
And I am playing this game now for... 10 hours straight? >_<
The last 4 hours I was spending to create security measures in my most important cave and then robbing all the minerals. I was able to get about 80 pieces of redstone, 150 coal, 60 iron, 10 gold and 1 obsidian (which is definitely going to be used for the music player. just need to find a record >_>)

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.
and now i am really getting worried about creepers blowing my chests up. I'll go to bed and as soon as I am awake again I'll build a 2nd and 3rd layer of security measures around that house. It was so hard to get this stuff. Before the last update I barely had to do anything to get down >___<

Well. Thats what I call a rewarding feeling.

dejay

Banned
nataku said:
So what are some mining techniques you guys use? I'm starting to explore the caves in my world and finding tons of coal with a little bit of iron, but that's it. Do you guys mostly stick to caves, or do you just go and randomly start digging in the dead ends of the caves you find?

I'm currently in the middle of an open-cast mining experiment.

hEkzh.jpg

I've noticed a lot of booty around caves but I've also found some interesting stuff down deep whilst digging straight tunnels in the middle of rock, so I've decided to make a sample dig in a big hole. I know I could have just used cartographer but that would be against the spirit of exploration :D

As expected, so far I've found a lot of coal near the top along with some iron. I expect to find more exotic stuff the deeper I go. I picked the area I did because it was fairly flat - what I'd consider a normal ground level. Most caves seem to appear below mountains in my experience - I'm wondering if I'll find any in this dig. I did find a small one roughly five blocks in overall diameter, but apart from that it's been solid.

Once I reach bedrock I'll square three sides of the hole off and leave one stepped leading up to my base - where I'm standing in the above screen shot. I can then tell how much other stuff I've found in the volume of stone I've cut away. I can say that so far it's not worth using steel pickaxes to mine in this fashion because you use more iron making the pickaxes than you find. It's an excellent way of acquiring large amounts of stone however :D

Good gravy:

2h2jzh5.png

My count from watching for a few seconds in game:

6 Creepers
5 Skellies
7 Zombies
5 Spiders.

This is just one side of my base right now. The ones in the moat don't die in the sunlight either, because the water extinguishes their fire :(

nataku said:
For minerals, I generally stick to caves. If I need a bunch of cobblestone, I usually tunnel down near the bottom of the map and start digging long tunnels three squares apart (since that will expose all the gems in an area).

TheExecutive said:
Where do I get wheat seed to grow it in my farms?
Make a hoe (like a pickaxe with one of the top corner blocks missing) and chop a bunch of grass -- eventually seeds will drop.

Blizzard

Banned
Toma said:
Shit... Its 5 a.m.
And I am playing this game now for... 10 hours straight? >_<
The last 4 hours I was spending to create security measures in my most important cave and then robbing all the minerals. I was able to get about 80 pieces of redstone, 150 coal, 60 iron, 10 gold and 1 obsidian (which is definitely going to be used for the music player. just need to find a record >_>)

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.
and now i am really getting worried about creepers blowing my chests up. I'll go to bed and as soon as I am awake again I'll build a 2nd and 3rd layer of security measures around that house. It was so hard to get this stuff. Before the last update I barely had to do anything to get down >___<

Well. Thats what I call a rewarding feeling.
According to the wiki, one diamond is used for the jukebox/record player, not obsidian.

what are the wiggling green things called? I had a game in a snowy world and starting building a house on a hill. After the first night I returned and one of them was inside the room (I jumped irl) and exploded when I came near. Rebuilt it, went off and collected more material to add windows and such. Returned later and there was another one that destroyed my building again! come on! at that point I walk over and look down and see a skeleton, two or three spiders, another green exploding guy, and other monsters. Was it just dumb luck that I parked my house on a monster mash?

Suikoguy

filipe said:

I plan on doing it. There should be no issues. It'll be running of either an iMac with 4GB or a Dell with 4GB. Both DDR3. Unlimited bandwidth + high speed should give us a good run.

Thanks!

Do we want to use someones map to start, or start from scratch?

Quixzlizx

Linkzg said:
what are the wiggling green things called? I had a game in a snowy world and starting building a house on a hill. After the first night I returned and one of them was inside the room (I jumped irl) and exploded when I came near. Rebuilt it, went off and collected more material to add windows and such. Returned later and there was another one that destroyed my building again! come on! at that point I walk over and look down and see a skeleton, two or three spiders, another green exploding guy, and other monsters. Was it just dumb luck that I parked my house on a monster mash?

The exploding enemies are creepers. Are you surrounding your living area with torches? They help repel enemies, and keep them from spawning completely in lit areas.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Kuran said:
Will we be able to host our single player maps as servers?
I bought two copies of the game - one for me and one for my brother - in anticipation of this feature. I hope we can share a World to play.

Linkzg said:
You have to be sure to always close the door on your way out of your house, and you have to put torches everywhere inside. Don't leave a single dark corner. Otherwise mobs might spawn there: they spawn anywhere dark, be it at night or in caves and dark houses.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
dejay said:
I've explored three worlds for a few square KMs each and only seen one incidence of papyrus.
I have only one, I take it I should farm it if I ever want to see more :lo

Its not bad that its rare IMO, since there is nothing practical you can make with it, just decorations.

Quixzlizx said:
The exploding enemies are creepers. Are you surrounding your living area with torches? They help repel enemies, and keep them from spawning completely in lit areas.

oh, ok. I haven't built any torches yet.

Brazil said:
You have to be sure to always close the door on your way out of your house, and you have to put torches everywhere inside. Don't leave a single dark corner. Otherwise mobs might spawn there: they spawn anywhere dark, be it at night or in caves and dark houses.

by door do you just mean block up the entrance and destroy it when I want to get in? or is there a way to have a door that swings open?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
dejay said:
Do we know how many can run on a server at once?
I think Notch said about 20 people per 1k of ram, but he said even then thats sort of worse case with all the people in totally different parts at once. A server with 4k of ram should be fine for the whole gaf userbase.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
filipe said:

Awesome that you're gonna do it mang! You make GAF proud.

dejay said:
Do we know how many can run on a server at once?
From Notchs Blog about the SMP run:

"Memory usage on an infinite map, with all players being far away from each other, is about 35 MB/player. That means you could in theory host a server for 28 players with 1 GB ram. In reality, the server uses some overhead ram that varies with how many entities there are, how fast players are moving (the map generator), and how many monsters there are and what they’re doing (more when they’re pathfinding), so it’s probably more like 20-24 players maximum per 1GB of ram, for an infinite server.

The memory usage is worst-case with everyone heading in their own direction, though. If they stay close to each other, it’s significantly less. Almost all of the RAM usage is terrain data.

If you chose to limit the playing area, the memory usage gets capped at 320 bytes per m^2 of surface area. That means that if you limit the playing area to 1600*1600 blocks, the server will never use more than 800 MB of terrain data, regardless of player count."

Suikoguy said:
Do we want to use someones map to start, or start from scratch?
Start from scratch, first map that pops up, no use of cartograph. IMO!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Linkzg said:
oh, ok. I haven't built any torches yet.

by door do you just mean block up the entrance and destroy it when I want to get in? or is there a way to have a door that swings open?
6 wood planks makes a door.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Linkzg said:
There's a door that swings open.

You have to put 6 wooden planks in all the squares to the left and in the center of the crafting grid.

Huge progress in my work today :D :D :D
I've been keeping most of it a secret, but you guys can have 2 hints for now:

• It's exponentially more cool than my previous walkthrough project
  • It's extremely well protected from zombies

peBeV.png

:lol

I'm I'm almost there, so I'll post another walkthrough when I'm done! :D

nataku said:
I've used two mining techniques so far, both have had good success but they're somewhat tedious.

Method 1: Dig a hole straight down until you find something interesting.
Method 2: Dig a staircase all the way down to bedrock.

PatzCU

Oh lord. I just spent a good 3 hours playing the free version of Minecraft, which I can't save of course. I built a little fort that went down 2 levels underground, I managed to flood the bottom floor, and then spent an hour dredging out the water.

And all for nothing as I can't save. This game is far too addicting. If you ever loved Lego's as a child (or even as an adult), this game will hook you instantly.

Blizzard

Banned
I have been doing stairstep mining tunnels, placing torches as I go, but it seems like I find more ore (and even a dungeon) near natural tunnels. I don't know if that's intentional or not, but at the very least I seem to find iron ore and coal exposed in natural tunnels.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
PatzCU said:
Oh lord. I just spent a good 3 hours playing the free version of Minecraft, which I can't save of course. I built a little fort that went down 2 levels underground, I managed to flood the bottom floor, and then spent an hour dredging out the water.

And all for nothing as I can't save. This game is far too addicting. If you ever loved Lego's as a child (or even as an adult), this game will hook you instantly.
Yes, this game reminds me of Blockland a lot.

The only bad part now is I feel like I am almost wasting my time playing offline. I mean, in less then a week it will be multiplayer! In a constantly changing world filled with other gaffers, it will be amazing.

Quixzlizx

Regarding the project I was talking about before, can you create infinite lava springs the same way you can create water springs? Or do you have to physically haul individual buckets of lava from somewhere else on the map to fill up a hole?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Quixzlizx said:
Regarding the project I was talking about before, can you create infinite lava springs the same way you can create water springs? Or do you have to physically haul individual buckets of lava from somewhere else on the map to fill up a hole?
Not sure which you are asking, so I will anwser both questions I think you are.

Lava will flow down and fill up area like water, so you could place a single cube at the top of a mountain and have half the mountain covered in deadly lava. But Lava will never produce more lava cubes. IE, if you take a water cube out of a large lake, a new one will take its place after some time. Not the case for Lava though.

Suikoguy

platypotamus said:
This. I do wish there was a way to have both snow and not snow at the same time though.

Yeah, it would be nice. We could change it seasonally though :D

Quixzlizx

Drkirby said:
Not sure which you are asking, so I will anwser both questions I think you are.

Lava will flow down and fill up area like water, so you could place a single cube at the top of a mountain and have half the mountain covered in deadly lava. But Lava will never produce more lava cubes. IE, if you take a water cube out of a large lake, a new one will take its place after some time. Not the case for Lava though.

Well, with water, if you take two ocean blocks out of the ocean and place them 2 spaces away from each other somewhere else, you can take water out of the space in between the two and it will always refill itself, so you never have to go back to the ocean to get more water again. I was asking whether you can do this with lava. Given your answer, I'm guessing no. I'm really wondering how people earlier in the thread managed to get so much lava in their projects, considering taking a lava spring block dries up everything around it. I've only found one spring so far.

platypotamus said:
This. I do wish there was a way to have both snow and not snow at the same time though.
Yeah, I can't wait until he implements biomes. It would be awesome to have a map so big that it had several different groups of players living in different climate zones.

Quixzlizx said:
I'm really wondering how people earlier in the thread managed to get so much lava in their projects, considering taking a lava spring block dries up everything around it. I've only found one spring so far.
It can be pretty common as you get closer to the bottom of the map... it's not too hard to find sizable lakes of lava that could yield 20-50 spring blocks. The real challenge is hauling it all up to the surface efficiently.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI multiplayer is not going to be that great at first. There aren't even going to be any enemies in MP for the first week at least, because he's putting up MP then traveling for a while, before it is 100% feature-complete.

Re: Papyrus - it does seem to be more rare in these most recent patches than when it was first introduced. BUT, it is also easy as hell to farm. You could turn one papyrus into a huuuge farm of it in just a couple days. Each papyrus will grow to full-size about twice each in-game day, giving ~3 more papyrus each time.

Blizzard

Banned
Hopefully he at least implements smelting, and being able to disassemble and grab your own boats in SMP before he's gone.

Suikoguy said:
Yeah, it would be nice. We could change it seasonally though :D
If SMP is anything like classic creative multiplayer, you can have multiple worlds running on one server as long as it has enough space and memory. Then someone can just do something like "/goto build3" to warp to a different world's spawn point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom