• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Ferrio said:
Okay, so I think i'm a dwarf... cause I've carved out a house in the side of the mountain and now I've just been making staircases deep deep down trying to find ore (only found like 10 iron ore).

Also how are people building these huge houses? How do you place blocks so high?
Either build temporary scaffolds out of cheap blocks, or use ladders.

Ferrio

Banned
Oh crap, now i've gone and done it.... i went adventuring.... now i don't know hwo to get home.

It's night... i'm in a makeshift stone house.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ferrio said:
Oh crap, now i've gone and done it.... i went adventuring.... now i don't know hwo to get home.

It's night... i'm in a makeshift stone house.

Yes, we need some motherfucking map and waypoints and shit... :D
I guess we could build roads? But it's fucking snowing everywhere, how can we? How long do torches last? I've been using those to have a somewhat point of reference...

What's the dura on, say a diamond pickaxe versus an iron one? I'm blowing through iron pickaxes and shovels and its a pain making a bunch before every gathering trip/adventure, but I don't wanna spend the few diamonds I've collected if the tools would only last a little longer.

Max

I am not Max
HappyBivouac said:
What's the dura on, say a diamond pickaxe versus an iron one? I'm blowing through iron pickaxes and shovels and its a pain making a bunch before every gathering trip/adventure, but I don't wanna spend the few diamonds I've collected if the tools would only last a little longer.
from the wiki:
  • Wood - 33 uses
  • Gold - 33 uses
  • Stone - 65 uses
  • Iron - 129 uses
  • Diamond - 1025 uses

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh goddamit. I was taking it slow, i made a house near a fucking waterfall so i wouldn't lose myself, made a nice stairwell to the top of the mountain so i could go back, put a couple torhces around, started digging and hit a FUCKING CAVE AND PLUMMETED TO MY DEATH

Now how the fuck am i supposed to find my house again?

Billen

Banned
So Gaf, what is it that you do in this game? You dig and build with the stuff you have dug up?

What is it that happens during the nights? Are there monsters in the woods, or what?

Differences between alpha and ordinary, what are they?

Aaron

drizzle said:
Oh goddamit. I was taking it slow, i made a house near a fucking waterfall so i wouldn't lose myself, made a nice stairwell to the top of the mountain so i could go back, put a couple torhces around, started digging and hit a FUCKING CAVE AND PLUMMETED TO MY DEATH

Now how the fuck am i supposed to find my house again?
Start walking. These islands aren't so huge you won't find it again eventually.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Aaron said:
Start walking. These islands aren't so huge you won't find it again eventually.
K, making my stuff near the respawn point payed off.. :D

Now, all y stuff is still around, but whatever was with me is gone, right? All the crap i was carrying...

HappyBivouac said:
THIS GAME
IS SO GOOD

WHY ISN'T ALL OF GAF BUYING THIS GAME HOLY COW
"LTTP: Minecraft (LBP on PC!)"

That's why.

I'm going to have to check this out now, my gaming rig blew up spectacularly a few weeks ago and this would be a perfect laptop game.

Kritz

Banned
I just spent 5-6 hours straight playing this game. o_o

I made a little house, went exploring, got lost, found a big ass series of cliffy mountain things with a big hole in the middle, made a second house in the lower centre of it, started digging a mine. Four hours later I end up digging up to the surface again, and make a secondary house at the end of the tunnel and then make a huge ass tower from the materials I made. I then spend the next hour trying to navigate a waterfall through my base, but it never really panned out.

I can't wait for multiplayer. :D

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Wow... I played one of the very very first Mincraft alphas I think... over a year ago? It was a LONG time and only the browser version existed. No sound, no enemies, etc. You could just run around in the game world and mine blocks and nothing else really. No equipment or inventory either.

Incredible how far the game has come since then.

Fitz

Damn, just started playing this, first impressions are:

Took me a minute to realise you could auto-attack when hitting something, I didn't think you could beat down trees so I was trying to craft with the random bush/branch like things (oh, it's called a sapling) you find near trees.

I really like that when crafting an item you kinda have to make the shape of the item with the materials, help when trying to remember what is needed for an item without having to alt-tab to the Wiki constantly.

I like that some monsters seem to explode on death, caught me by surprise and makes the combat a little riskier.

Really enjoying it so far.

Fitz

OK, I've come up with a few questions.
What's the best way to heal? I've got some pig meat, but not sure if I can eat it in anyway. Also, as far as armour goes, does higher quality materials mean you take less damage, or the durability is higher? Or both even. Lastly, can you equip a torch without mounting it on a wall?

Oh, and can you destroy items you no longer need? Damn, and another, do torches last forever once placed? Unless you destroy the wall they're on obviously.

EDIT x3: I really should have kept playing before typing this all out, anyway, I just figured out how to eat the Pig Meat, so that's one mystery solved!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey, I really want to get in on this awesome looking program/game thing, but for various reasons I really dislike PayPal. If some gracious GAFer will gift it to me, I'll reciprocate with a 10$ gift on Steam.

Lyon

So I caved in (eheh) and grabbed it. While it is brilliant, I don't think I will continue on my own. I'll wait for MP. I'm also a tad bored at this point, I want an objective, and a reason to build bigger structures other than showing off.

Also, while some people are telling awesome littles tales about creatures knocking at the door, the world feels unpopulated and pretty easy to survive in to me. I've had one or two insane shit your pants scary moments in my mine though, that was great. I just wish I had a reason to upgrade my shitty little wooden hut. I want a big bad wolf to come and blow my house down.

All I can think about is how awesome it would be in MMO form, with real riches to hunt down, dragons being accidentally unearthed, massive cities being built from the ground up by hundreds of people etc.

Colkate said:
OK, I've come up with a few questions.
What's the best way to heal? I've got some pig meat, but not sure if I can eat it in anyway. Also, as far as armour goes, does higher quality materials mean you take less damage, or the durability is higher? Or both even. Lastly, can you equip a torch without mounting it on a wall?

Oh, and can you destroy items you no longer need? Damn, and another, do torches last forever once placed? Unless you destroy the wall they're on obviously.

EDIT x3: I really should have kept playing before typing this all out, anyway, I just figured out how to eat the Pig Meat, so that's one mystery solved!
If you cook the bacon in your Furness it becomes twice as healthy.

Torches seem to last forever, and you can throw stuff away that you don't need by open the inventory and dragging it out, don't think you can destroy.

Rapstah

Here's my current house:

15pjyht.png

Three stories plus a walkable roof, a moat trap and a really, really deep mine which is completely lit by torches to prevent zombies appearing. In the foreground you can see my canal project to fill a zombie-infested hole with water. It's not going very well.

Fitz

Lyon said:
If you cook the bacon in your Furness it becomes twice as healthy.

Torches seem to last forever, and you can throw stuff away that you don't need by open the inventory and dragging it out, don't think you can destroy.

Ooh, thanks. I'm building a small cabin at the moment as my base of operations outside of my mine, still missing a furnace though so that's next on my list.

EVH

Lyon said:

Yes, there is a way to destroy whatever you want. You only need to throw (dragging it out, as you said) the object to a pool of lava. It burns and dissapear.

It is good to have an incinerator at home.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Is there a method other than Paypal available to buy this?

Wish it was on Steam. Will it be eventually?

Enoch

I'm glad I found this thread, I just actually bought the game and it's really fun. This is the kind of game that I wish the industry had more of.

Looked through the thread quickly and didn't see it posted, this is pretty amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx7UKLCNYjw

Minas Tirath recreated in minecraft. It is HUGE and detailed also.

Ferrio

Banned
So, after quite a few hours last night I finally started adventuring outside my mine/house. I wasn't finding much materials extending my vast network of gopher holes, so decided to strike out on the world and see what was out there. Also my house had become pretty safe due to all the lights outside and the waterfall that I created to flow over it.

Took quite a few pick axes, couple hundred torches, and started spelunking. A couple close calls from some skeletons but I struck quite a few iron veins and a couple gold veins across 3 caves I came across. Still trying to find that elusive diamonds, since I really would like a kickass pickaxe.

Also I think I've come up with my end game plan, lighting the world. I'm going to cover every inch of this place with light... zombies will have no where to run!

Rapstah

My house is slowly turning into the Chamber of Afterthoughts©. Monsters can't appear inside the house if it's all properly lit up, right?

Razorskin

----- ------
Rapstah said:
My house is slowly turning into the Chamber of Afterthoughts©. Monsters can't appear inside the house if it's all properly lit up, right?

Yeah no monsters will spawn inside, they'll just spawn outside and kill you. :)

btw my game shows v1.0.7 now, anyone know what changed?

Ferrio

Banned
Razorskin said:
Yeah no monsters will spawn inside, they'll just spawn outside and kill you. :)

Outside of my base is lit up so much, that and the waterfall keep them at bay now. It's nice. Trying to get enough torches set up so I can see my place no where where I am. Thinking of building a lighthouse structure.

syllogism

I understand that sandbox building is fun and the map gen is very good, but it still baffles me this game is so popular in its current state.

Travado

Lol, I died and now I don't know where I was in the map, this game is awesome. :lol

Now I live hiding and burying myself in the map during the night to avoid enemies, acting like Saddam Hussein. I refuse to build another house for a while, I need to find my first house.

Dont know if it's because of this thread, but according to the meter in the official game site, 31.400 people buyed this game (was on 31.100 when I bought on saturday), nice to see people supporting this game.

1.0.7 update - http://notch.tumblr.com/post/832681960/incidental-bugfix

Brannon

Can't wait for multiplayer. I'm going to make an small quest through dangerous caves and leave treasure at the end. Simple, but effective.

Max

I am not Max
syllogism said:
I understand that sandbox building is fun and the map gen is very good, but it still baffles me this game is so popular in its current state.
I have a feeling the popularity is going to be even more baffling once the multiplayer is released

The multiplayer must be the reason so many people bought it already, the idea of it is amazing. Stoked.

Ferrio

Banned
A gaf multiplayer survival will be insane. Imagine the sprawling towns we could make.

It'll be like GAF's A Tale in the Desert attempt, though not as monotonous.

GDJustin

Went ahead and bought the game. As I said last night, it is AMAZING how far this game has come since I played the pre-pre-alpha so many months ago. At that time, there was no crafting of any kind, and no weapons/armor/tools. :lol All you did was run around and delete blocks & place blocks. I'm glad the dev stuck with it!

- My first couple starts weren't so great. I couldn't find any coal ANYWHERE, so I could never dig too deeply, it was always pitch black inside my little starting hut, etc. Not too fun.

- But then I spawned an amazing world. I mean I'm sure it's nothing special but it is more aesthetically pleasing than the others, and had 20+ coal exposed to the open air right by the spawn.

- I know it is hardly an accomplishment, but it is incredibly satisfying to build a little shack with a door, light it with a few torches, put a storage crate in the corner, etc. Mine is made of dirt while I gather stone, and it still feels satisfying to have a roof over my head.

I have a Q:

At some point I acquired a material that looks sorta like coal, but isn't. It's black and has a similar shape. It almost looks cole coal, but mirrored. It doesn't burn in a furnace. Anyone know what it is? The one thing Minecraft needs more than anything else is a simple tooltip system! Hover over something in your inventory for its name to pop up.

Ferrio

Banned
GDJustin said:
I have a Q:

At some point I acquired a material that looks sorta like coal, but isn't. It's black and has a similar shape. It almost looks cole coal, but mirrored. It doesn't burn in a furnace. Anyone know what it is? The one thing Minecraft needs more than anything else is a simple tooltip system! Hover over something in your inventory for its name to pop up.

Flint.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh man I want in on this, it sounds like its going to get incredible as it develops. Still willing to gift a 10$ Steam game for a gift of this.

Blizzard

Banned
syllogism said:
It's certainly not for everyone. I would say you basically have to like building and exploring. Looking at people's buildings in classic creative mode is cool. The graphics are obviously very minimalistic, and like Tetris, it's not a game with an overall goal unless you make one for yourself.

Multiplayer sounds nice, but unless you find a server with good admins, or unless the dev goes ahead and implements region claiming systems (even then), it would seem impossible to have any sort of cooperative building without people just coming through and destroying everything, attacking other players (would presumably have PVP-free servers), etc.

Basically, try the free version in singleplayer and creative mode. If you like the concept, great, donate $10 to the guy to buy the game so he keeps working. If you don't enjoy it, there are many other games that you might enjoy a lot more. :)

GDJustin

Also I'm not sure where the game is being linked, but it is def. picking up steam. 650 copies sold in the last 24 hours. The game isn't actually $10... it's 10 POUNDS... about ~$13. This mean he's made about $8450 in 24 hours!

Blizzard

Banned
GDJustin said:
Also I'm not sure where the game is being linked, but it is def. picking up steam. 650 copies sold in the last 24 hours. The game isn't actually $10... it's 10 POUNDS... about ~$13. This mean he's made about $8450 in 24 hours!
...actually you're right. I don't know when he started development, but over 30,000 copies sold at $10 apiece means $300,000+ for one guy...and more if it's actually in pounds. I seem to recall that he's a bearded Swede, so it might be more or less in SwedeBucks. :lol

sgnhh

Neo Member
Multiplayer survival mode needs to have someway for players to engage others in combat without having the ability to totally destroy forts without the builder being in the server. Hopefully that makes sense, I haven't played any classic multiplayer yet but it sounds like griefing can be an issue.

also, the ability to capture zombies and spiders and turn them onto your side in a battle would be awesome. and creating arenas for players to fight against the enemies. so many possibilities.

Ferrio

Banned
sgnhh said:
Multiplayer survival mode needs to have someway for players to engage others in combat without having the ability to totally destroy forts without the builder being in the server. Hopefully that makes sense, I haven't played any classic multiplayer yet but it sounds like griefing can be an issue.

Well hopefully that won't be an issue with other GAFFERs, long as there is password protection on servers.

sgnhh

Neo Member
yeah, in regards to needless griefing. but I think fighting and having factions will be a big part of some servers. I guess it depends on how many people participate in a server... as long as someone is always there, they could at least alert their team through non-game means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom