• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
GDJustin said:
FYI multiplayer is not going to be that great at first. There aren't even going to be any enemies in MP for the first week at least, because he's putting up MP then traveling for a while, before it is 100% feature-complete.

Just makes our starting build areas safer :)

In other news: My mine is rapidly nearing the bottom of the map. I've found my first gold and my first redstone. I broke through to a cavern (where I heard those noises before), and saw lava, but put a block back in place for the moment. I am afraid that there's a huge cavern directly beneath my mine, and it might be difficult for me to reach the bedrock and still door this cavern off from the rest of my base. Going to have to go in sneakily tomorrow I think, somehow.

Dragmire

PatzCU said:
Oh lord. I just spent a good 3 hours playing the free version of Minecraft, which I can't save of course. I built a little fort that went down 2 levels underground, I managed to flood the bottom floor, and then spent an hour dredging out the water.

And all for nothing as I can't save. This game is far too addicting. If you ever loved Lego's as a child (or even as an adult), this game will hook you instantly.
Everyone thinks this, but in free/classic mode, you can save levels to your hard drive (bolded for those that don't know). The only thing you can't do is save them online. You need to buy Alpha to do that.

To save them on your HDD, just go into a game, press Escape, Save Level, and then Save File at the bottom. I saved many levels before I bought Alpha.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GDJustin said:
FYI multiplayer is not going to be that great at first. There aren't even going to be any enemies in MP for the first week at least, because he's putting up MP then traveling for a while, before it is 100% feature-complete.

Re: Papyrus - it does seem to be more rare in these most recent patches than when it was first introduced. BUT, it is also easy as hell to farm. You could turn one papyrus into a huuuge farm of it in just a couple days. Each papyrus will grow to full-size about twice each in-game day, giving ~3 more papyrus each time.
IT will be fine. The only problem we will have is no Gunpowder, making my pitfall trap undoable :(

GDJustin said:
True, and I expect that even after it reaches feature-parity with single-player, it's going to be a griefer's paradise until he implements some better security mechanics. As it is now, it will be ludicrously easy to steal anyone's valuables.

I'm still looking forward to the early multiplayer, though... it'll be nice to have a multiplayer mode with some of the niceties of alpha.

Blizzard said:
If SMP is anything like classic creative multiplayer, you can have multiple worlds running on one server as long as it has enough space and memory. Then someone can just do something like "/goto build3" to warp to a different world's spawn point.
I hope someone makes a server mod that lets you have "dark world"/winter/hell alternate versions of your existing map and transition people seamlessly between them. :D

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
rohlfinator said:
True, and I expect that even after it reaches feature-parity with single-player, it's going to be a griefer's paradise until he implements some better security mechanics. As it is now, it will be ludicrously easy to steal anyone's valuables.
I trust you won't steal my Diamonds, GAF.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
rohlfinator said:
Well, if we make the server private, that should help a bit.

Plus, there really ins't anything that valuable in the game to steal. Other then saddles and records, everything can be gotten pretty easily. I expect GAF to have a chest full of extra diamonds.

Or if you are super paranoid you could make a hidden treasure room under a lake 400 blocks from spawn.

Plus, the ultimate way for griefers to annoy others is to build a lake of lava right under spawn

oh man, I got lucky and found a gravity defying cliff to build my house on. All I'm doing right now is focusing on the entrance area with an escape ladder that is hundreds of feet high.

Javaman

PillowKnight said:
I've used two mining techniques so far, both have had good success but they're somewhat tedious.

Method 1: Dig a hole straight down until you find something interesting.
Method 2: Dig a staircase all the way down to bedrock.

That's pretty much what I've been doing, although I've started digging underneath a huge lake. I found some vertical caves underneath it so I should be deep enough to fan out. I'm assuming there's always sand under lakes? If so that should help prevent me from digging up too high.

Javaman

Drkirby said:
Or if you are super paranoid you could make a hidden treasure room under a lake 400 blocks from spawn.

That's a nifty trick! Just build a bomb shelter and fill the hole with a rock. Just make sure it's near some landmark so you can find it again.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Best hiding place for diamond - cut out a stone section from a stone floor (any place is fine)
Place a furnace in the cut out section (furnace has the same top look as stone)
Place diamond in furnace. Recover the floor with finished stone.

Invisible hiding place.

Blizzard

Banned
In the SMP server running so far, the spawn area was restricted somehow where you couldn't delete (or build?) anything in that vicinity at all.

Dragmire

It might be a good idea to implement number locks or something onto chests so that people can store items without others taking them. Maybe adding iron to a chest would add a lock to it (or diamond if he's feeling really sadistic). In fact, locks in general as standalone items could be useful, like if someone keeps trying to use your forge or your minecarts, you could lock them somehow. I'm sure there are downsides, like people getting greedy with their stuff, but it might be a good preventative measure against griefers.

KillerAJD

Oh god...bought the game around 10pm, it's now almost 4am <_<
Nvm on that question, found out right after I submitted the comment, lol.

Inkwell

Banned
As far as other people stealing your stuff, I think the best option would be to have a checkbox on the screen after you open your chest that would set the box as private or public. Maybe you will have to craft a lock out of iron or something, and interacting with the lock brings up a menu with something similar. It could have something where you can add other people's names to allow them access.

Wired

Dragmire said:
Stuff about locks and security in general

Unless I'm completely mistaken I *think* he has talked about implementing locks at some point. Although considering I'm talking out of my ass a lot of the time don't be surprised if I'm wrong :p

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
K2Valor said:
Best hiding place for diamond - cut out a stone section from a stone floor (any place is fine)

Invisible hiding place.

Ha. Hiding things is an interesting idea, and one that I hadn't even considered. I don't even know that it needs to be as elaborate as what you're describing. If you have a dirt floor in your house, simply mine out a hole, place a chest in it, then cover it with dirt. It'll only take a few seconds to unbury it when you need access.

Yeah it'll be annoying to dig out and replace that dirt every time and yeah it isn't exactly secure... but come on. Who is gonna dig out someone's dirt wall/floor?

Anyway, in the GAF game I always envisioned us being communist. No individual territories or projects... all communal storage.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
GDJustin said:
Ha. Hiding things is an interesting idea, and one that I hadn't even considered. I don't even know that it needs to be as elaborate as what you're describing. If you have a dirt floor in your house, simply mine out a hole, place a chest in it, then cover it with dirt. It'll only take a few seconds to unbury it when you need access.

Yeah it'll be annoying to dig out and replace that dirt every time and yeah it isn't exactly secure... but come on. Who is gonna dig out someone's dirt wall/floor?

Anyway, in the GAF game I always envisioned us being communist. No individual territories or projects... all communal storage.

This. I also thought we'd start a new GAF Map with whatever rules. Centralized storages, or one huge ass cathedral where everybody has his own room or a neat little village where everybody builds his own house.
The possibilities and rules to set this up are eeeeendless.

Toma said:
This. I also thought we'd start a new GAF Map with whatever rules. Centralized storages, or one huge ass cathedral where everybody has his own room or a neat little village where everybody builds his own house.
The possibilities and rules to set this up are eeeeendless.
This is what im hoping for......the GAF Super Fortress It shall be epic!!!!

nekosaur

Bought the game yesterday and have spent way too many hours in it. Just starting to get a hang of the basic flow of mining. I need to start growing crops/trees pretty soon i think. Game is too addicting!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yay! Went looking for Lava and found this lake:

25kh1fd.jpg

Took me a while to mine this thing out though. But oh well. Should be enough to install some anti-creeper defensive measures around my bases.

Razorskin

----- ------
GDJustin said:

Good we'll be able to place cacti around the perimeter of our castle/cave/treehouse etc without getting ambushed.

K2Valor said:

Invisible hiding place.

Not all of us have the same textures. ;)

Toma

Can I mine Obsidian with TNT? probably not right? And I need a diamond pickaxe to gather it? damn :(

33a6rgz.jpg

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Toma said:
Can I mine Obsidian with TNT? probably not right? And I need a diamond pickaxe to gather it? damn :(
As somebody pointed out earlier in the thread, it's much easier to build structures out of obsidian with water/lava molds. I've never though of it, but it's awesome. You only need some dirt and buckets.

Toma

drizzle said:
As somebody pointed out earlier in the thread, it's much easier to build structures out of obsidian with water/lava molds. I've never though of it, but it's awesome. You only need some dirt and buckets.

I read in the Wiki that "Obsidian could be created in Infdev; when pre-created water flows onto a pre-created lava spring."
So now water on top of lava from buckets does the same?

Dragnet

Toma said:

99% certain you can use an Iron pickaxe, it'll just take much longer. 52 seconds or something, compared to 15 seconds using diamond.

rohlfinator said:
Yup, can't wait

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Toma said:
If you have water in the bucket, it's a water spring (you can only catch water springs). If you put that water spring in contact with lava...

Dragnet said:
99% certain you can use an Iron pickaxe, it'll just take much longer. 52 seconds or something, compared to 15 seconds using diamond.
The block will just disappear. Nothing will be harvested, afaik.

Dragnet

drizzle said:
If you have water in the bucket, it's a water spring (you can only catch water springs). If you put that water spring in contact with lava...

Ah, my bad :( It's tedious work mining Obsidian anyway, and you'll find it hard to gather enough to build a sufficient defense with it. Would be cool if you could use it to create even tougher than diamond tools though.

Toma

drizzle said:

Yeah. Just tested this. Actually I would like to mine some Obsidian. Its nice to have every block in the game in my chests :D

Right now I am looking around the lava lake for more diamonds. But only finding iron, coal and gold so far :(

Edit: Oh and lots of Redstone.

Toma

Going to do some TNT testing down there. Never used it before. Wish me luck not to wake thousands of creepers.

5pgzh5.jpg

Haha yeah Okay. I guess you need LOTS of TNT to create a somewhat bigger hole :lol
f1imnp.jpg

Pretty underwhelming. Oh well, off to mine some more.

Edit: What are you all doing with redstone? There are some nifty uses I've heard. I have about 300 now. I really need to look up what to do with it.

Blizzard

Banned
drizzle said:
That's a great idea, but can you do it and still save your lava source? Like...put the lava sources on top of the house to fill the mold, and then move them somewhere else?

Lava's so dangerous I'm scared to work with it. I should carry a couple of portable water sources with me at all times in case I get the Permanent Burn of Death on me.

Hmm, TNT does look a bit underwhelming considering how hard it is to get it. No wonder everyone uses the editor to play with cannons and game-crashing giant TNT balls. :p

Visualante said:
Yup, can't wait

Alright, don't give Visualante the GAF server password!

(Speaking of which, it probably shouldn't just be posted in this thread, since non-members can read all of GAF and see it and come fuck up our shit). If the Online section is members only still (can't remember?), we could switch server talk to that thread, or maybe just make the password a PM only sort of affair).

Toma

platypotamus said:

(Speaking of which, it probably shouldn't just be posted in this thread, since non-members can read all of GAF and see it and come fuck up our shit). If the Online section is members only still (can't remember?), we could switch server talk to that thread, or maybe just make the password a PM only sort of affair).

Yeah. PM only should be the easiest way. We probably will need several "groups" anyway if the 16 players thing/server is anything to go by.

Razorskin

----- ------
platypotamus said:

We could also put it in the email field of our post so if someone wants it they can just quote mine or someone else's post.

Blizzard

Banned
Razorskin said:

We could also put it in the email field of our post so if someone wants it they can just quote mine or someone else's post.
But then Visualante would get it. D: (it's ok, I assume the servers will let us ban accounts)

Razorskin

----- ------
Blizzard said:
But then Visualante would get it. D: (it's ok, I assume the servers will let us ban accounts)

OH good point, I'll never forgive him for what he did to that rainbow tower in creative.

Goddamn it. Built a huge tower with lava waterfalls on either side, on top of my current house. Then as I was building a staircase up the inside of the tower I accidentally mined through to one of the lava springs I placed at the top, ended up flooding my whole house with lava :( Luckily I had a backup save so I haven't lost too much work.

Toma

filipe said:
adQPp.png

Am I late to the party of something?

Uhm..
What do you mean?
The diamond equipment?
The chicken?
The dynamite which is enough to blow up everything in sight?

Is this your own game? Oo

filipe

The chickens. Just wondering if this was part of the last Secret Friday. First time I've seen them... but as you can tell, I hadn't seen sunlight in a long, long while.

Mudo

I am totally up for doing SMP with you guys. I've really just been messing around with the game for the last week. I do have one question that has come up. I've been playing on peaceful just so I could actually get the hang of things but I want to turn it back to Normal. What is the best way to keep creepers out of my house? Is there any kind of building material that they can't blow up? I already have torches EVERYWHERE inside and out.

filipe said:
The chickens. Just wondering if this was part of the last Secret Friday. First time I've seen them... but as you can tell, I hadn't seen sunlight in a long, long while.

Yes they were. Also in case you missed it arrows are now made out of flint.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Mudo said:
I am totally up for doing SMP with you guys. I've really just been messing around with the game for the last week. I do have one question that has come up. I've been playing on peaceful just so I could actually get the hang of things but I want to turn it back to Normal. What is the best way to keep creepers out of my house? Is there any kind of building material that they can't blow up? I already have torches EVERYWHERE inside and out.

They shouldn't bother you as long as your house is completely walled off and there are no darkspots. Just make sure you have doors so you can get in and out - but they can't.

Creepers will only explode if you are standing right next to them

Razorskin

----- ------
Mudo said:

Obsidian is creeper proof and is relatively easy to make.

Guide To make obsidian structures: http://imgur.com/koxFH.jpg

Gaf defense:
byeoR.png

Twig

Banned
Toma said:
I read in the Wiki that "Obsidian could be created in Infdev; when pre-created water flows onto a pre-created lava spring."
Flowing water and flowing lava makes cobblestone. It has to be a source of lava or it won't turn into obsidian. The water does not have to be a source. I thought it did at one point, but then I accidentally flooded a lava pool with a waterfall from above once and it was obsidian all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom