• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudo

LOL @ at that picture. I guess for now I will just make the outside of my "house" (really I just dug into the wall of a mountain and have a huge cave inside) some sort of stone or whatever and make sure there are no dark areas. Thanks =)

b0neshank

Banned
Was tired of looking at just the coast line.

10youua.png

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Had a scary ass mining experience today.. made me jump and panic like crazy. I was at the bottom of the map, looking for diamonds. Usually there is no caverns down here so I'm not worried about that. Lava is my only fear. So I'm mining and I fucking find some diamonds! Sweeeeeet. I mine them out and then mine out the stone behind them. Well when I mine out that stone, no joke, a fucking creeper falls down and ignites himself. He was standing right there. I immediately jump and run back as the creeper is chasing me. I barricade myself in a dirt wall and am standing there, shitting my pants. :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You could just Ban Visualante's IP if you really don't want him in.

I can't tell if you guys are really supper pissed or just joking around :lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Drkirby said:
You could just Ban Visualante's IP if you really don't want him in.

I can't tell if you guys are really supper pissed or just joking around :lol

Imagine working on a huge ass cathedral for weeks. Only for someone to sneak in and blow it all up with dynamite. No risks.

Btw. I am trying to get some seeds. I am hitting grass blocks with a hoe en masse. Is there something I am doing wrong? I havent got any seeds up to now :(

edit: nevermind. I left clicked the whole time. How should I know? >_<

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have died so many times because I see a creaper, and to protect my buildings I will run in to a flat spot and try to kill it can cause it to blow up in a safe spot.

Looks pretty easy to sap. Just don't dig into the sand and keep digging deeper till you get under it.
What if you make the floor out of the stuff?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Drkirby said:
I have died so many times because I see a creaper, and to protect my buildings I will run in to a flat spot and try to kill it can cause it to blow up in a safe spot.

What if you make the floor out of the stuff?

Well actually you would need EVERY block below to be out of sand. Otherwise, if he knows what you planned, he'll see the sand block and just dig deeper where there is no sand anymore.

However even if you make every block below from sand someone invading the castle could still simply push a block up to the lava before it reaches him. Did this quite often while digging below a lava lake.

filipe said:
Still amazes me how this game can "scare" me more than horror games. And some other people as well, haha.

Yeah :lol Last night I was playing while my girlfriend was asleep. So everything was dark and the last one awake were only the noises and me. Especially horrifying if you turn around just to see a creeper. I learned yesterday to erect anti-creeper walls everywhere where I mine.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I finished my current project, I'll post up a video later tonight :D

Next up, time to find new caverns, this mounted is GUTTED. :lol
Plus, I died with all my diamonds and gold on me and still haven't found more :-(

I would like to join in the GAF server when it's up, much prefer exploring and mining to building though, so I would probably just disappear with a stack of wood for weeks at a time :lol

We would need a good waypoint system when the map starts growing, once we have enough iron a minecart track would be good, and convenient for moving supplies around. Shit we could even build stations for different areas. :D

Awakened

The first time I mined down to the bedrock:
5d2efa.png

Errr...

It sure did light up that spot. Kinda like just breaking through the surface but in reverse. I just plugged it back up to avoid accidentally falling through.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Awakened said:
The first time I mined down to the bedrock:
5d2efa.png

Errr...

It sure did light up that spot. Kinda like just breaking through the surface but in reverse. I just plugged it back up to avoid accidentally falling through.
Yeah, bedrock is uneven, leading it to be possible to make a hole though the bottom of the world. Do not fall in if you value your life and possessions.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Decides to start a new world, this time a snow one. Having problems finding coal though, so right now I am just burning stuff in my furnace to give me some light as I dig down.

Twig

Banned
damnit i found a huge lava pool and then accidentally flooded it ;_;

managed to plug it up before things got too bad but ;_;

javaw%202010-08-01%2013-58-16-53.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think I am going to play the Snow world as a nomad, making no large base and just making small huts dotting the landscape.

Toma

Damn. Does anyone know how to get the most recent minecraft.jar back? I tried texture packs and forgot to make a copy of the file >_< Now nothing works anymore.

Any way to get the game to download/overwrite all files (except the saves) again?

Edit: Deleting everything BUT the saves did the trick.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Re: multiplayer server - the PW/details absolutely need to be Private Message only. This board is not private. There's probably dozens of people reading this topic that don't even have accounts.

Yes lurker, I'm talking about you.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Toma said:
Damn. Does anyone know how to get the most recent minecraft.jar back? I tried texture packs and forgot to make a copy of the file >_< Now nothing works anymore.

Any way to get the game to download/overwrite all files (except the saves) again?

I can't confirm this as I haven't done it, but I believe I read that you just need to delete/rename the file named "version" that's in the same folder as mincraft.jar and it'll redownload everything

Toma

Verdre said:
I can't confirm this as I haven't done it, but I believe I read that you just need to delete/rename the file named "version" that's in the same folder as mincraft.jar and it'll redownload everything

I just deleted everything except the saves a moment ago :) Worked fine.

Oh and I just tried the texture pack with which Twig is playing. Looks very nice and clean :) I'd love to use it for the overworld too but at the moment the doors and item icons are pretty ugly >_>
And the fire. Ever jumped into lava with that texture pack? Cant see anything ._.

Toma said:
Well actually you would need EVERY block below to be out of sand. Otherwise, if he knows what you planned, he'll see the sand block and just dig deeper where there is no sand anymore.

However even if you make every block below from sand someone invading the castle could still simply push a block up to the lava before it reaches him. Did this quite often while digging below a lava lake.
You just put lava under the whole floor as well. The whole base is surrounded by a layer of lava, except presumably the entrance which is well-guarded.

Toma

UncleSporky said:
You just put lava under the whole floor as well. The whole base is surrounded by a layer of lava, except presumably the entrance which is well-guarded.

Hm I'm gonna try this out later. But I am pretty sure that I can get around a "wall of lava".

S = stone
L = Lava

From the side

SSLSS
SSLSS
SSLSS
SSLSS

From the front (lava flowing downwards)

LLLLL
LLLLL
LLLLL
LLLLL
LLLLL

<- If you dig into that and see the Lava you can just pull up a stone if youre fast enough and put it there

LLLLL
LLLLL
LLSLL
LL_LL
LL_LL

You could do this with other stones as well and then safely walk between the "curtains"

Twig

Banned
Toma said:
I'd love to use it for the overworld too but at the moment the doors and item icons are pretty ugly >_>
And the fire. Ever jumped into lava with that texture pack? Cant see anything ._.
Yeah, it has its flaws. But overall, I like it much, much more than the default.

Toma said:
Hm I'm gonna try this out later. But I am pretty sure that I can get around a "wall of lava".

snip

You could do this with other stones as well and then safely walk between the "curtains"
Well obviously, but that takes foreknowledge. There's always a way to get past anything, but it's about how determined you are and whether it falls within the rules of the game you're playing, or if it's merely griefing. Even if someone made a cube of complete safety, a real griefer would find a way to hack past it.

sophora

b0neshank said:
Was tired of looking at just the coast line.

10youua.png

lol, all I can think of when I see that is the phrase "WORSHIP ME!" and flames spouting from his mouth.

I'd like to take part in the GAF server whenever it gets up, I'm pretty good at wood structures and treehouses.

Javaman

Charmicarmicat said:
I would like to join in the GAF server when it's up, much prefer exploring and mining to building though, so I would probably just disappear with a stack of wood for weeks at a time :lol

We would need a good waypoint system when the map starts growing, once we have enough iron a minecart track would be good, and convenient for moving supplies around. Shit we could even build stations for different areas. :D

That could lead to some fun gameplay. You could dig and harvest while others use the material to build. That way the people who are creative but hate digging won't have to bother.

Boonoo

GDJustin said:
Re: multiplayer server - the PW/details absolutely need to be Private Message only. This board is not private. There's probably dozens of people reading this topic that don't even have accounts.

Yes lurker, I'm talking about you.

You could always just make a multiplayer thread over in the online section.

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
You could always just make a multiplayer thread over in the online section.
Yeah but only like two threads in the history of the universe have ever lasted more than five minutes in that section. TF2 and WoW.

KillerAJD

So, that 4am ended up turning into an 11am :lol I made a pretty awesome hill fortress that goes across a valley. I've made a shit miles of passageways that crisscrosses the entire main mountain I'm in. I keep wanting to build above ground, but every few nights I venture a little be farther into a cavern I've found, adding about 50 feet of lit tunnels along the way. I think I'm going to have to record a video because it's so huge, pictures won't do it justice.

I can confirm that my mine has reached the bedrock. Also, lava, diamonds (only 4), and redstone (2 whole stacks of dust worth!).

So that's sweet. I think one of my diamonds must be dedicated to record player, because, seriously, come on. Not sure about the other 3. Diamond pick axe is mighty tempting, particularly since I accidentally made some obsidian while emptying a water bucket to fill it with lava...

Razorskin

----- ------
platypotamus said:
I can confirm that my mine has reached the bedrock. Also, lava, diamonds (only 4), and redstone (2 whole stacks of dust worth!).

So that's sweet. I think one of my diamonds must be dedicated to record player, because, seriously, come on. Not sure about the other 3. Diamond pick axe is mighty tempting, particularly since I accidentally made some obsidian while emptying a water bucket to fill it with lava...

Well only build a record player if you got a record.

Hello mine-gaf. finally bought this yesterday after much ocd behavior in the free classic version. I got a snowy world with a massive cliff sheer cliff face and a massive tunnel system right under it. havent built very much, just been exploring and mining. I think I'm gonna check out a second map as therapy to help me recover from the amount of crap I just lost when i couldnt find my body after dying.

Nice, now I decided to go explore caves for the first time, and I've just found a spider spawner and treasure chest... Escaped with the loot (2 saddles, some strings, and a redstone), but now I've only got half a heart left and I've reached the surface and it's night time :(

Toma

platypotamus said:
Nice, now I decided to go explore caves for the first time, and I've just found a spider spawner and treasure chest... Escaped with the loot (2 saddles, some strings, and a redstone), but now I've only got half a heart left and I've reached the surface and it's night time :(

This is the reason why I link EVERY important location on the map via stairs and bridges with my central base. I dont need to worry about creepers since I just walk over them.

Toma

maniac-kun said:
found something nice:

Could you mail me that save? I will not link it anywhere. Just want to look how you set up your town. Pretty impressive btw

Inkwell

Banned
I finally find a dungeon today and got destroyed by some spiders because I got trapped in a corner. I work my way down to it again, only to find all of my stuff is gone. This includes all my iron and gold I had found, along with my diamond pic axe :( . I had a whole lot more stuff in my inventory too.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
This game is amazing. I've only spent a few hours with the classic version but I'll buy the Alpha this week and really get into it.

Dragmire

Twig said:
lol, I took a picture just like that recently. Can't find it now. :p

[edit] Found it. I didn't get as close as you, though... I was chipping away at a wall and there it was.
2vct7cp.jpg

And holy mother of god, maniac-kun, that city is amazing. I thought of doing an urban city but haven't gotten around to it because of the work it would take. Never thought of doing a smaller city like that. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom