• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
hate

Spire said:
This game is amazing. I've only spent a few hours with the classic version but I'll buy the Alpha this week and really get into it.
Buy it before Tuesday! Goes out of alpha and into beta, then, and increases in price.

Cryect

Basically set on diamonds and iron (well as long as I don't decide to build more train tracks which ran me out the first time). So, I decided to have some fun with TNT. Not the most original but still fun and interesting to play with. Of coursed hacked it in since I probably used a couple thousand TNT about and can't imagine killing that many creepers (maybe if creeper spawners existed).

The end result is a nice scar upon my lands.

overhead.gif

isometric.gif

TNT Placement which involved mainly long columns with offshoots and TNT scattered through out caves I hit.

4851122275_a524660496_b.jpg

The destruction occuring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFVQq1p-yHQ

4851739086_dcf93577a9_b.jpg

4851122113_051b8c465a_b.jpg

4851739122_811eeb99fe_b.jpg

4851122209_32e26e1653_b.jpg

4851122243_4a24b09004_b.jpg

Additional photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/52602660@N02/sets/72157624508375895/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Razorskin said:
I'm like 90% sure that isn't his work, he said he found it. It's Broville.

http://oldshoes.tumblr.com/

Thanks.

Looked through the city for a bit. Its basically a treasure hunting map which is a nice idea. Too much treasure though. Oh and the "real" treasure is the layout of the city. Some really nice ideas.
Anyway some more shots of Broville if anyone is curious:

2rp4e4j.jpg

2uq134y.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
Buy it before Tuesday! Goes out of alpha and into beta, then, and increases in price.
Maybe, but...

Notch blog said:
It will be missing mobs. Mobs will come later on, and when they’re in, the game will officially be in beta, and the price will go up to 14.95 euro.
Notch blog said:
August 30: Back to work, finishing up survival mode multiplayer. Enemies will probably get added around here.
Of course, buying it earlier is safer, but it sounds like he may still wait to call it beta until he actually gets SMP to a semi-reasonable state, maybe with bugfixes and mobs.

Wessiej

So I was trying the classic version, and I couldn't find the fun in this game. No challenge, only building blocks...does the alpha version adds all the fun stuff?

And yes I did not read anything ;)

Kuran

Banned
Wessiej said:
So I was trying the classic version, and I couldn't find the fun in this game. No challenge, only building blocks...does the alpha version adds all the fun stuff?

Uh, yes.

Branson

Ok, so I just recently got the urge to buy this, since I have an American card how do i buy something that's in euros. Excuse my ignorance.

Blizzard

Banned
Wessiej said:

If you're looking for challenge, the alpha may still not be for you. It's not that challenging unless you play on hard and go exploring in the dark/near lava/outside at night etc. Once you get good at walling yourself in, enemies probably won't get to you much except in deep tunnels.

The classic creative version where you get infinite building blocks is fun if you like building. The classic survival version gives you some slight idea of what survival is like, minus crafting. If you don't like building, crafting, farming, and sometimes running from danger, then beware! :eek:

Dragmire

Wessiej said:

Yeah, the Alpha version contains challenge and lots of it, but if you didn't like building in the classic version, I don't know if this game is for you. Read up on it, in other words.

KillerAJD

Branson said:
Ok, so I just recently got the urge to buy this, since I have an American card how do i buy something that's in euros. Excuse my ignorance.
All I did was go to the minecraft site, register, click the Buy Now button on the top of the page, enter my card information and that was it. It automatically converted the money for me. Ended up being $13.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
maniac-kun said:
found something nice:

http://250kb.de/u/100802/j/OnvqZo5LFXeN.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

Did you find it, or build it?

If you really found it, we know where all the zombies came from now :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
Did you find it, or build it?

If you really found it, we know where all the zombies came from now :lol
Someone already mentioned it's apparently a city from here: http://oldshoes.tumblr.com/

Although, it would be really creepy to happen across apparently humanoid-constructed things. I was mining some stairs deep into the rock today, and went through a wall into...an opening that seemed to have stairs down a little. It wasn't much of a resemblance, just a cave entrance or something, but it almost gave me the impression of mining through a wall in Moria and finding old, abandoned stairs going down...creepy!

Branson

KillerAJD said:
All I did was go to the minecraft site, register, click the Buy Now button on the top of the page, enter my card information and that was it. It automatically converted the money for me. Ended up being $13.
Ok. Thanks man. Thats pretty cool.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
KillerAJD said:
Only thing I don't like is paypal inflates the currency conversion a bit. Cost me $.25 more then it should of!

Blizzard

Banned
MrMister said:
Sign me up!
I imagine most people in this thread (like me) would want in. D: The good thing is, we probably wouldn't be active ALL at the same time, except maybe right when it's first launched. If you have say, 40 people interested in the server and only 24 on it at a time, it might still work out.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
So I fell onto a dungeon today, I mean literally fell. The thing was like 10 cubes down from sea level. I just had to do a little digging because there was sand around it. The strange thing is that nothing is coming out the spawner.

Edit: oh wait, the sun was still up... time to get my stuff back.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just can't get up the will to make some huge building, knowing in less then a Week I can have a huge building online

I am going to see if my idea for a quick vertical transportation method works good though. More or less depends on how much of a fall water will break.

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
I just can't get up the will to make some huge building, knowing in less then a Week I can have a huge building online

I am going to see if my idea for a quick vertical transportation method works good though. More or less depends on how much of a fall water will break.
I found out one useful, though perhaps obvious thing -- for safe sheer vertical transport without having to make something with water, ladders surrounded by blocks will prevent you from falling even if you go into them the wrong way, as far as I can tell. Of course, they also make you descend slowly, so a diving pool at the bottom of a cliff would be the fastest way down as long as it was impossible to miss. :lol

Twig

Banned
wow i finally found my first dungeon and it was in plain sight the whole time (quite literally)

javaw%202010-08-01%2023-24-39-00.jpg

javaw%202010-08-02%2000-01-13-44.jpg

so of course i did what any selfrespecting minecrafter does

javaw%202010-08-02%2000-01-17-76.jpg

And with that I think I might start working on Awesome Island again. :3

Blizzard

Banned
sw33tclyde said:
So how long do I have until the price doubles?
Apparently the price is going up to 15 Euros, so not quite doubling. Notch said that he'd put survival multiplayer (SMP) in beta once mobs are in...though I think he originally said that once SMP is out, it would be in beta.

LONG STORY SHORT, SMP is supposed to be released in an early very buggy form in a couple of days, and according to the schedule on http://notch.tumblr.com/, mobs might happen at/by the end of August. So you might have a few days, or you might have a month! I'd guess 2-3 weeks, but if you're interested and saving about $7 is important to you, then you might as well get it.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
Apparently the price is going up to 15 Euros, so not quite doubling. Notch said that he'd put survival multiplayer (SMP) in beta once mobs are in...though I think he originally said that once SMP is out, it would be in beta.

LONG STORY SHORT, SMP is supposed to be released in an early very buggy form in a couple of days, and according to the schedule on http://notch.tumblr.com/, mobs might happen at/by the end of August. So you might have a few days, or you might have a month! I'd guess 2-3 weeks, but if you're interested and saving about $7 is important to you, then you might as well get it.
Notch said that THIS TUESDAY survival multiplayer will be officially released in the BETA which means the price is going up to 15 Euros THIS TUESDAY.

EDIT: Actually it's THIS TUESDAY or THIS WEDNESDAY.

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/875499109/im-going-all-gaga-now-1000-sales-in-24-hours
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/883733186/fyi-my-schedule-for-the-next-month

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
Notch said that THIS TUESDAY survival multiplayer will be officially released in the BETA which means the price is going up to 15 Euros THIS TUESDAY.

EDIT: Actually it's THIS TUESDAY or THIS WEDNESDAY.

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/875499109/im-going-all-gaga-now-1000-sales-in-24-hours
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/883733186/fyi-my-schedule-for-the-next-month
I already referenced those. Click on the first link you posted, and read:
Mobs will come later on, and when they’re in, the game will officially be in beta, and the price will go up to 14.95 euro.

Then click the second link you posted, and read:
Tuesday or Wednesday: A first, very rough, version of Survival Multiplayer
Note that nowhere in that post does he say beta, OR mobs. Assuming "mobs" means both enemies and cows/chickens/sheep, then you see:
August 30: Back to work, finishing up survival mode multiplayer. Enemies will probably get added around here.

That seems pretty clear to me, but of course the price might go up with no warning. It's like Steam!

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
God's Beard said:
Cool place.

I think the problem with the flowers is that theres no light coming from above. The flowers by the edge have the skylight and torches but the middle section is covered by the roof, I can see the shadow in the middle. So maybe some more glass in the roof and torches would let you grow flowers in your enclosed garden.

Same thing with the skeletons spawning. When you were talking about it I saw 2 holes in the wall that looked a little too dark.

Twig

Banned
Oh I misread. It's beta with mobs, not beta with multiplayer. Nevermind.

Regardless you're still stupider than me Blizzard. SUCK IT.

filipe

I really cannot wait until MP, when we finally start building towns and fortresses. Mine together and shit, going to be such a whole new experience.

So I have just spent about 6 hours playing Minecraft for the first time mind you. My eyes are blood shot. BUT OMG!!! This game is amazing. It shows you how stale big publishers have gotten on one hand and why the PC and independents are truly the blood behind the future of gaming. Thank you GAF for letting me know about this magnificent game. I am just blown away!

filipe

LovingSteam said:
So I have just spent about 6 hours playing Minecraft for the first time mind you. My eyes are blood shot. BUT OMG!!! This game is amazing. It shows you how stale big publishers have gotten on one hand and why the PC and independents are truly the blood behind the future of gaming. Thank you GAF for letting me know about this magnificent game. I am just blown away!

Another successful infection. So glad to see this game is making money.

iamblades

Hehe, I spawned just outside this giant cave filled with coal veins, got a nice base set up inside the cave, but I can't find any sand to make glass.

Got my furnace cranking away making the nice looking stone blocks right now though.

For you vets out there, is there a guide or tutorial that goes into depth for creating masterpieces like GodsBeard creation in the youtube video? I'm just trying to understand the basics right now but some of these creations, I simply have no idea. I have already searched the official Minecraft forums, glanced at the Wiki pages, etc. But not sure if GAF has something it uses.

Where are you guys finding the overview maps of your creations? Also is there any way to mark the location of the entrance of your fortress? I do try to use torches to guide my way but it doesn't always work as planned.

LovingSteam said:
For you vets out there, is there a guide or tutorial that goes into depth for creating masterpieces like GodsBeard creation in the youtube video? I'm just trying to understand the basics right now but some of these creations, I simply have no idea. I have already searched the official Minecraft forums, glanced at the Wiki pages, etc. But not sure if GAF has something it uses.

Stack rocks, son!

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
Just dig and build. Picture something you want and start making it.

Or at least that's what I did for my thing (which still isn't even close to done). U:

For the overview of the map, there's a thing called Cartographer or something, and there's also http://www.minecraft.net/infdev/preview.jsp
Wow, that preview thing is neat, though it seems to freeze my browser if I try to change the time of day. Thanks for the link!

Javaman

Here's my first house. It's still a work in progress, but I just got around to adding glass and the moat. While training the water by digging and undigging to maximise the distance I got jumped by a spider and was stuck in the corner of the house where you can currently see the spider. Thankfully the current split and it washed him away leaving me with 2 1/2 health left. The little bastard then got stuck where I was for a couple of hours before getting a lucky jump out.

I HATE how the snow acts on the steps. You can see the problem in the bottom right corner of the screen. It treats them as full bricks and "floats" over the surface.

In the upper right you can see the height of the water as it leaves the mountain. I had to raise it quite a bit since it loses a lot of steam around corners.

nex642.jpg

My second house is built on the lake for the purpose of digging deep underneath to the bedrock to explore. I started the steps from the house but was unfortunately too close to the water and had to shore up the sand to prevent a catastrophy. Once I hit rock though things were smooth sailing. I actually hit two different vertical caverns. Here's a picture of the first one. It's not as organic as it used to be since I had to juryrig stairs to get down

2dl2ft1.jpg

2heab2h.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Twig said:
wow i finally found my first dungeon and it was in plain sight the whole time (quite literally)

And with that I think I might start working on Awesome Island again. :3

Oooh! A shooting gallery! What spawns out of it? If it's creepers you have an infinite source of the rarest material in the game.

Do creeper dungeons even exist? I've only come across zombie, spider, and skeleton.

Twig

Banned
GDJustin said:
Oooh! A shooting gallery! What spawns out of it? If it's creepers you have an infinite source of the rarest material in the game.

Do creeper dungeons even exist? I've only come across zombie, spider, and skeleton.
Nope, just zombies. I don't think creeper dungeons exist.

I was considering adding some flowing water to push the feathers out to me.

It's a shame you can't move spawners hah. I'd love to put it up on Awesome Island somewhere. >_>

Javaman

iamblades said:
Hehe, I spawned just outside this giant cave filled with coal veins, got a nice base set up inside the cave, but I can't find any sand to make glass.

Got my furnace cranking away making the nice looking stone blocks right now though.

Check near water.

Twig said:
Nope, just zombies. I don't think creeper dungeons exist.

I was considering adding some flowing water to push the feathers out to me.

It's a shame you can't move spawners hah. I'd love to put it up on Awesome Island somewhere. >_>

I'm still kicking myself for destroying it instead of turning it into a zoo.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:
I found out one useful, though perhaps obvious thing -- for safe sheer vertical transport without having to make something with water, ladders surrounded by blocks will prevent you from falling even if you go into them the wrong way, as far as I can tell. Of course, they also make you descend slowly, so a diving pool at the bottom of a cliff would be the fastest way down as long as it was impossible to miss. :lol
Yep, it works great. I made the pool about 5 bricks deep in case I could hit the ground before the water slowed me down though.

Right now I am trying to make a log floom ride work. So many small things keep going wrong, like the boat getting stuck at spots, me dying far to often, ect.

I may just scrub the project soon, I can not get the boats to stop breaking.

Love the automatic doors God Beard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom