• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ZZMitch said:
I have a massive waterfall under my home that leads to the bottom of the map and I just ride that to get to the bottom :D
I haven't been to the bottom of my map in a while. I have a few sets of ladders to take you down though.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
God's Beard, as cool as your house/set-up is, I couldn't handle it. I require every material I use to be exactly the same, I can't switch between cobblestone/dirt/smooth stone because it really bugs me. I'm OCD like that :lol

I didn't need it :D

K2Valor said:
God's Beard, as cool as your house/set-up is, I couldn't handle it. I require every material I use to be exactly the same, I can't switch between cobblestone/dirt/smooth stone because it really bugs me. I'm OCD like that :lol

That's pretty much only for the underground areas, though. The house and encampment is pretty uniform.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
God Beard, online you shale be in charge of making the castle.

I will task my self with digging very long tunnels. I am good at tunnel networks.

Oh man, this game is pretty fun, but I can only use the free version... which kinda sucks compared to what I've seen of the Premium version.

:(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
-Yeti said:
Oh man, this game is pretty fun, but I can only use the free version... which kinda sucks compared to what I've seen of the Premium version.

:(
Do you not have 10 Euros to spare?

I'm hoping he doesn't raise the price in the next two days. Looks like either the long weekend or yet another technical issue has delayed my Paypal bank transfer.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheNiX said:
I'm hoping he doesn't raise the price in the next two days. Looks like either the long weekend or yet another technical issue has delayed my Paypal bank transfer.
Shouldn't, I don't think the price will go up till after he gets back from the convention he is going to.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
-Yeti said:
I don't have a debit/credit card.
Do you not have a bank account? You can tie Paypal to withdraw right from it.

Since you're limited with how many items you can carry at once is there a way to build a type of chest to keep your extra items in?
Yes, 8 wood planks with the middle empty will make a chest. Two chests next to each other make a large chest. No, you can't make it bigger.

Looking at the stories on the Minecraft message boards, we are going to have to really try hard to keep the wood in stock when we get our multiplayer server. That, or send people on wood cutting expeditions, making long ass rails going to the cutting sites.

I find it a bit odd though that in a story about wood shortages, hearing someone make a wood fort 2000 blocks away from spawn. I would be hard pressed not to set fire to it :lol

Drkirby said:
Do you not have a bank account? You can tie Paypal to withdraw right from it.

Yes, 8 wood planks with the middle empty will make a chest. Two chests next to each other make a large chest. No, you can't make it bigger.

Looking at the stories on the Minecraft message boards, we are going to have to really try hard to keep the wood in stock when we get our multiplayer server. That, or send people on wood cutting expeditions, making long ass rails going to the cutting sites.

I find it a bit odd though that in a story about wood shortages, hearing someone make a wood fort 2000 blocks away from spawn. I would be hard pressed not to set fire to it :lol
Oh sweet! There will be a GAF server? I can't wait!!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
LovingSteam said:
Oh sweet! There will be a GAF server? I can't wait!!
Yeah, in 2 or 3 days once Public Alpha Survival Multiplayer comes out.

I just hope the person who offered to put up a server can keep it dedicated. We will most likely have to do like the TF2 people did and rent a dedicated sever (I think that is what they did), but minecraft may require a much more robust server

I guess that calls for a new NeoGAF server rule?

Cut a tree? Plant two more.

That is until we start running out of space to build trees. But the GAF server should be better then a public server full with 20 people every moment its up.

IceMarker

Drkirby said:
I just hope the person who offered to put up a server can keep it dedicated. We will most likely have to do like the TF2 people did and rent a dedicated sever (I think that is what they did), but minecraft may require a much more robust server.
It's about 1 GB ram per 20 players.

ZZMitch

Drkirby said:
Yeah, in 2 or 3 days once Public Alpha Survival Multiplayer comes out.

I just hope the person who offered to put up a server can keep it dedicated. We will most likely have to do like the TF2 people did and rent a dedicated sever (I think that is what they did), but minecraft may require a much more robust server

That is until we start running out of space to build trees. But the GAF server should be better then a public server full with 20 people every moment its up.

Arnt the maps technically infinate in size? So space shouldn't really be an issue

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Couple things -

Re: wood - yeah, it's going to be very scarce. It's going to be a rule that for every tree you chop down, you have to replace it with a sapling in the vicinity. Exceptions for clearing land for building/mining obviously.

Re: server. I don't think it's going to be a problem at all. Virtually every other multiplayer game requires players be playing at the same time. But not Minecraft. If we have 80+ people all playing in the same world, the odds of more than 20 of them connecting concurrently after the first couple days are... slim. We'll all be signing in to help out the group projects on our own time.

Re: multiplayer in general - I'm less excited about it than some. I think it's going to turn out to be one of those things that's better in theory than in practice. I think we've all gotten used to being able to shape our Minecraft worlds in the exact way we want, and it's going to bug us to see things mined out in a way we don't prefer, or see things constructed we think are ugly.

That, and despite efforts to keep things very organized (mostly my efforts I bet!) I think within a few days there will be tons of unlabeled mine-shafts and buildings, furnaces everywhere, etc.

Any real joint multiplayer project needs a dictator, and we lack one.

dejay

Banned
Anyone had issues with sound? I can't any sound today from the game after days of non-issue. I've tried rebooting and deleting the entire game directory, all to no avail.

dejay said:
Anyone had issues with sound? I can't any sound today from the game after days of non-issue. I've tried rebooting and deleting the entire game directory, all to no avail.
My sound cut out too, but it randomly turned back on after about ten minutes playing.

dejay

Banned
It's back - I checked the official forums and I read that someone re-downloaded the client. I did so and even though it was the exact same file size as the other one it seems to have worked. I suspect it was a coincidence though.

Regardless, it's back so it's all good.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
GDJustin said:
Couple things -

That, and despite efforts to keep things very organized (mostly my efforts I bet!) I think within a few days there will be tons of unlabeled mine-shafts and buildings, furnaces everywhere, etc.

Any real joint multiplayer project needs a dictator, and we lack one.

Well, I also thought that we plan out something first. We at least would need to have an idea here in the thread what to build in general. Whether its supposed to be a village where everyone builds his own house and how much space everyone has for that. Or whether we immediately start working on a big project with communal storage (I think everyone should be able to have his own belongings)

I'd say we start off by creating houses for ourselves. If this would get too crowded in terms of a village, I'd also gladly share my apartment with 2 or 3 others (Big houses, yay!)

After everyone is set up investigate the area a bit and make a cartograph overview picture ,if possible. If not we need to help ourselves with high towers to make screenshots to orient ourselves. On these Screenshot/maps we then can make marks for dungeon entries we found for the people to go adventuring and make out a place where to build a bigger project.

Then we still havent decided on what to create and for THAT we definitely need a guideline. The easiest would be to have a picture of what we want to build (Notre Dame, Disneyland castle, whatever) and share building plans in the thread. We need a plan before we build that thing. Anyone ideas of what to build? Personally, I think we should go with a building and not a bridge. Bridges are more difficult to construct. But which building? We should start collecting ideas, pictures and blueprints.

Edit: And by guideline I mean exact plans at least for the layout. If 10 people will try to build the notre dame, I bet not two of them will have the same width for the building.

Edit2: The reason for personal storage: If you harvest diamonds yourself, you will be extra cautious regarding your equipment if you make armor from it. I think people might get a bit ... careless if they simply can get stuff like this from a communal storage. For building purposes we can collect everything for the community (which should be no problem for stone, iron, redstone etc) but it should be up to decide for everybody whether he wants to keep something or use it for his own safety or to build on his home.

Edit3: On a further note. I think just building a village where everyone can do stuff on their own measure would be fun as well. Someone starts a project, others ask whether they can join in or start something else. You know... like a real village. You go sleeping and 10 others worked on the village and their houses. Something new to see every day. I think this solution is by far the most feasible. But then we would still need rules that A: destroying others houses and constructions is forbidden and B: Looking at someone elses house is fine. Stealing isnt.

Edit4: Working on that village idea: People might even start some "dungeons" for others to enjoy. We will need a rule that forbids the use of creating blocks or mining in anothers construction. Meaning: Twig creates a labyrinth, and I am not allowed to simply use a pickaxe to get through it. Same with houses. What others have created is not to be destroyed or altered.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Shawsie64 said:
woah woah woah how did i miss this? just bought :D

Two hints:
Punch the trees.
Get yourself a house before nightfall.

besada

Banned
Just bought it. Building a tower high on a cliff.

After my first try, I set it to peaceful mode. I was still building my house when the zombies came.

besada said:
After my first try, I set it to peaceful mode. I was still building my house when the zombies came.

Yeah, that first night is a bitch - I usually just make a point to find some coal ASAP, build a small overnight base around the vein, make some torches and mine until daylight, then i'll go start a proper house.

Also, I just discovered why it was a bad idea installing a furnace into my ice house :lol

java2010-08-0214-10-09-34.jpg

besada said:
Just bought it. Building a tower high on a cliff.

I still do this when exploring. I love adventuring but you cannot go out at night on normal so I almost always put it on peaceful. Plus, NOTHING is more infuriating than mining for 3 hours just to get killed by a zombie half way home. I use iron armor and equipment and those fuckers kill me within seconds. It makes for an interesting dash back to the death site though :lol

Funky Functionality said:
In all seriousness:

MINECRAFT |OT| Mining, Crafting, Building, and Surviving in the Ultimate Sandbox Game

Quoting in hopes of a mod stumbling through this thread. Would be nice to change the title to this.

Javaman

I wonder if in multiplayer everyone will spawn at the same area or if it will be random. If it's the latter, it's going to be a pain to find everyone else at first.

Philthy

Yeah, starting out I almost always have to set it to peaceful unless I can get a pick going to and digging out a tunnel to hide in quick enough. Then I read a book till morning. Unless there are creepers.

I hate the creepers.

For some reason I expected that the game would be persisting your saves to a server. i was all excited to play at work. Looks like I'll just have to start a game at work and have a game at home. :lol

Inkwell

Banned
Whenever I chop down a tree, I almost always get at least one sapling from destroying the leaves. I don't think it would be too difficult to keep a constant supply of trees. As long as people are constantly replanting trees there shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I find that a bow is a life saver. It's so easy to kill things at a distance. You just have to keep a constant supply of arrows. No worries about being blown up, less hassle with skeletons (especially if you can use a little bit of cover), and zombies are a joke.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
For some reason I expected that the game would be persisting your saves to a server. i was all excited to play at work. Looks like I'll just have to start a game at work and have a game at home. :lol

i came across this same thing! i've got this rad house at home and playing at work took the wind out of my sails a bit. oh wellz

Vinci

Danish
I vary in difficulty between Easy and Normal. Easy whenever I'm working on my dungeon - I'm tired of dying while constructing the damn thing - and Normal for other activities. I should really consider Peaceful for dungeon construction, but it's sort of nice getting a sneak preview of how difficult this thing is going to be in the end.

Inkwell said:
Whenever I chop down a tree, I almost always get at least one sapling from destroying the leaves. I don't think it would be too difficult to keep a constant supply of trees. As long as people are constantly replanting trees there shouldn't be a problem.

I wanted to create a tree farm at one point, but I so rarely find saplings that it's become very difficult to get it started. It's a 30 x 10 space meant to hold nothing but trees, and I think it's about a dozen trees in after cutting down virtually every single tree in the tri-island area.

jon bones said:
i came across this same thing! i've got this rad house at home and playing at work took the wind out of my sails a bit. oh wellz

My work game is my dungeon, my home game is natural splendor, the most beautiful natural environment I've seen the game generate thus far. It's so pretty, I don't even want to hurt it. I think the key to not getting disappointed in either side of your game-time is to have very different goals with both.

I was exploring a new world when I came across the biggest grouping of trees I'd ever seen. So I did what was only natural, I jumped on top and hollowed them out creating my ultimate tree home. It's still a work in progress.

the view from the bottom:

96cmjo.jpg

and a few from the inside:

25uryjc.jpg

2rf4oyg.jpg

2co3ak9.jpg

besada

Banned
The treehouse is pretty cool. I just planted a half dozen saplings near each other. Hopefully they'll grow densely enough to afford me the same building pleasure.

Also, lava can be surprising.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ZZMitch said:
Arnt the maps technically infinate in size? So space shouldn't really be an issue
Its more or less space near spawn thats the problem.

A good rail network could also fix the problem.

Also, communal storage will be for nothing unless Notch can get item storage server side by the time of the launch. Right now storage is done client side and items in a chest don't appear in others chests.

But if its added, then its not a problem.

Blizzard

Banned
Javaman said:
I wonder if in multiplayer everyone will spawn at the same area or if it will be random. If it's the latter, it's going to be a pain to find everyone else at first.
Everyone spawns at the same point, set by the operator/moderator etc. I still don't know the details on classic creative servers -- whether people used hacked server binaries with mods, or just wrappers, whether Notch approves of them, or what, but that one has multiple worlds, /goto commands, et.

Even the basic alpha multiplayer server Notch is running has everyone spawning at the same point, and no blocks in the area being destructible (or hopefully buildable), however.

Toma

Vinci said:
My work game is my dungeon, my home game is natural splendor, the most beautiful natural environment I've seen the game generate thus far. It's so pretty, I don't even want to hurt it. I think the key to not getting disappointed in either side of your game-time is to have very different goals with both.

Screenshots? :)

besada said:
I just planted a half dozen saplings near each other. Hopefully they'll grow densely enough to afford me the same building pleasure.

While clearing out the inside I acquired 30ish saplings, I plan on clearing out a huge stretch of land and then making an even bigger/better tree home.

Vinci

Danish
Toma said:
Screenshots? :)

Not yet.... ;)

I'm still finalizing the maze. Once I have the first level of the dungeon completely done, I will make a video showing it off. I'll do the same for the second level, and the third, etc. and so on for as long as I can stomach working on it. All I've got at this point is a couple of levels of massive, empty space with some preliminary hallways set up.

Seriously, we get a multiplayer GAF server set up, we need to design one of these things as a group 'cause it takes an immense amount of effort.

As for my home game, the natural splendor one... I might be able to get some screens of it later this week. I don't play very much at home, sadly. =(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What skins for there characters is everyone using? Decided I didn't feel like making my own right now, so I just got a nice Big Boss skin :lol

Toma

Drkirby said:
What skins for there characters is everyone using? Decided I didn't feel like making my own right now, so I just got a nice Big Boss skin :lol

I dont use any other skin at the moment. Dont see it anyway. Might change that for the GAF Multiplayer server though.

ZZMitch

Drkirby said:

I use a spacesuit skin I found on the Minecraft forums

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Drkirby said:
Dead Space Isaac skin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom