• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acosta

Affter last patch, now I definetely see creepers at night, a lot of them actually, I can see them roaming the world from my balcony. The problem is that I have to deal with the explosive ones as they don't die with sunlight, it's not hard but it´s a bit annoying. I have decided to modify the mountain where my home is and transfom it into a fortress, I don't like being at home and hearing the creepers noises. So far I'm stripping the mountain of soft land, letting the stone.

On the mining side, I had few disgraceful accidents with lava that cost me some good equipment, and found how annoying is dealing with slimes when you hear them but don't know where the hell they are. After getting on my nerves, killing a ton of them and still hearing them, I decided to stop mining for a while. The only sad thing is that I don't have quality minerals, so I have to use stone tools.

Still love the game, have some projects with water I would like to try when I finish to protect my home.

Razorskin

----- ------
Drkirby said:
What skins for there characters is everyone using? Decided I didn't feel like making my own right now, so I just got a nice Big Boss skin :lol

http://minecraft.net/skin/skin.jsp?user=Razorskin

Acosta said:
Affter last patch, now I definetely see creepers at night, a lot of them actually, I can see them roaming the world from my balcony. The problem is that I have to deal with the explosive ones as they don't die with sunlight, it's not hard but it´s a bit annoying.

All creepers are the same, all creepers explode.

Vinci

Danish
Acosta said:
The only sad thing is that I don't have quality minerals, so I have to use stone tools.

I mostly use stone pickaxes for mining nowadays to be honest. I have so much cobblestone that it's a bit wasteful to use iron - a block type I find far, far less of.

EDIT: Okay, now that I'm putting down all the walls throughout the maze.... this is claustrophobic as hell. :lol

People are either going to love or hate this.

Acosta

Razorskin said:
All creepers are the same, all creepers explode.

I thought every evil creature was called creeper for some reason, but that's only for the green ones it seems, thanks for the clarification.

Javaman

A couple of random questions...

Is there supposed to be more of the good materials underneath large oceans? If not I'd rather avoid the hassle altogether. I'd like to have skylights (good idea God's beard!) but that's pretty tough with a big ocean above.

Is there always sand underneath the oceans? I'd like to use that as a safeguard to prevent me from digging up too far.

Also, I've never had any creepers show up randomly in my caverns. Do you guys who are having them appear have unexplored areas underground that aren't sealed off?

Philthy

Ive had everything but creepers appear in my own dungeon that I dug out myself. No creepers yet, but im guessing they probably have as much chance as anything else.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Was exploring my deep bottom of the map cavern I found. Using lava as a weapon, I was doing great defending myself. Until 3 zombies came from behind me.

Fuck.

ZOMGPaperClips

Neo Member
SpinningFrog said:
I was exploring a new world when I came across the biggest grouping of trees I'd ever seen. So I did what was only natural, I jumped on top and hollowed them out creating my ultimate tree home. It's still a work in progress.

the view from the bottom:

96cmjo.jpg

Link to the texture / mod package you're using? Much easier on the eyes!

Inkwell

Banned
Javaman said:
A couple of random questions...

Is there supposed to be more of the good materials underneath large oceans? If not I'd rather avoid the hassle altogether. I'd like to have skylights (good idea God's beard!) but that's pretty tough with a big ocean above.

Is there always sand underneath the oceans? I'd like to use that as a safeguard to prevent me from digging up too far.

Also, I've never had any creepers show up randomly in my caverns. Do you guys who are having them appear have unexplored areas underground that aren't sealed off?
I have creepers showing up in my mine. There are definitely some unexplored areas, but I've had some show up in areas that I'm sure have been fully explored and have torches everywhere.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
enter-1.png

Made my entrance, I like the double wall of water. Don't know yet how I'm going to lay out my pathway.

But I'm going to start my next project; a sand castle. Sand falls, but I'm going to use glass to suspend the sand, creating the rooms and such.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I have a sand castle map, made it just to make a sand castle, like one of those upturned bucket shaped ones :D

I discovered a crazy cave system near my house, one of those where you take a stack of 64 torches with you and it's still not enough to map it - anyways, I stumbled across some diamond, but had run out of torches and knew I should probably turn back, but where there's diamond there's always the possibillity of more diamond! So I pressed on through the darkness very, very carefully, took out a few zombies, dispatched a creeper, got down to a huge lava pool and found a load more diamond, some red ore and a few blocks of gold, but couldn't for the life of me trace my way back through the maze of dark passages i'd travelled to get to that point - so I just spent the last 15 minutes digging upwards in the darkness, then I hear a hissing sound...fucking creeper climbing my staircase! He exploded, ruined my iron armor and opened a hole in the ceiling above - turned out I was directly under the floor of the lake and my staircase instantly started to flood, I quickly swim upwards and smashed my way through the ice as my breath, then health drained, making it out just in time with a single piece of health left, a stack of 18 diamonds and my heart beating fast in my chest. Damn, I love this game :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
drizzle said:
How do you empty a milk bucket? I have two and i can't empty them no matter what.
You wait till Minecraft Alpha version 1.17!

No way right now, waste of a bucket. Just put it in a chest and wait till emptying it becomes possible

Two and a half hours of a new world playing nomad explorer on peaceful, and this is what I have. Started south, been working my way north.

world-1-08-02-10.png

As you can see, I am currently making anther bridge to make a land path to the new lands across the lake/sea. The larger blobs are the trees I set on fire, I guess they only burn when I am around since there are still burning trees near my start.

I spent about 30 minutes in prep getting lots of wood and coal. So I have 64 things of coal STILL and 128+ blocks of wood. Every now and then if I find a cave I'll explorer it a bit and get some more iron for Flint and Steal so I can burn trees on my path down.

I discovered a crazy cave system near my house, one of those where you take a stack of 64 torches with you and it's still not enough to map it - anyways, I stumbled across some diamond, but had run out of torches and knew I should probably turn back, but where there's diamond there's always the possibillity of more diamond! So I pressed on through the darkness very, very carefully, took out a few zombies, dispatched a creeper, got down to a huge lava pool and found a load more diamond, some red ore and a few blocks of gold, but couldn't for the life of me trace my way back through the maze of dark passages i'd travelled to get to that point - so I just spent the last 15 minutes digging upwards in the darkness, then I hear a hissing sound...fucking creeper climbing my staircase! He exploded, ruined my iron armor and opened a hole in the ceiling above - turned out I was directly under the floor of the lake and my staircase instantly started to flood, I quickly swim upwards and smashed my way through the ice as my breath, then health drained, making it out just in time with a single piece of health left, a stack of 18 diamonds and my heart beating fast in my chest. Damn, I love this game

Protip: Bring wood bricks with you next time. A single wood brick can make 8 sticks, which in turn can make 32 more torches out of the coal you most likely mined out.

Stitch

Gold Member
nice, explained the game to my mom, got crushed by my own mine cart, now i can't find my home :(
now I'm sitting in a small cave with a torch, waiting for the sun...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ThaiGrocer said:
What's the quickest way to get gunpowder? I'm currently a night hunter that stalks creepers with steel/flint with bows and arrows.
Killing creepers. Its a slow method though, but the only other way is to find chests in dungeons with them.

Drkirby said:
Two and a half hours of a new world playing nomad explorer on peaceful, and this is what I have. Started south, been working my way north.
Whoa, how big is your save file for that?

I haven't really done it yet, but the nomad explorer route seems like it'd be really fun. I've decided I'm going to use a similar strategy once multiplayer is live:
-take a boat and sail really freaking far in a random direction,
-settle down somewhere and start collecting materials
-build something cool
-hope I don't die
-hide my spoils as treasure for the next visitor
-kill myself and respawn back at the main spawn point

The infinite world is fun in single-player, but there's something extra awesome about exploring an infinite world with the possibility that someone else got there first.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Love the yellow text :lol
yellow.png

Only one I have gotten that I don't really find funny is the "Closed Source!" one.

World so far is only 5.75 MB, lets get it up there!

Also, your boat plan fails if we end up mostly landlocked somehow :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you place a powered mine cart so it faces the direction you want it to? I tried placing it from both facing down the tracks and facing away from the tracks, and it always orients toward away from the tracks.

After reading this thread I cant wait to go home tonight and give it a try.. I have no idea what I should do or how to play the game I just know I need to play it..

Javaman

FlyinJ said:
How do you place a powered mine cart so it faces the direction you want it to? I tried placing it from both facing down the tracks and facing away from the tracks, and it always orients toward away from the tracks.

I'm pretty sure you can change it after you place it depending on which direction you are facing when you right click.

Disclaimer- I have not build a powered cart or even any tracks.

the problem with the exploration in mp is: The world is set then and when there is an update we have to explore even further to get those updates. :( I've yet to see bamboo and those brick-building sand :(

for the minecart. You need to stand on top of it to right click it with coal and then quickly right click on the normal mine cart in front of it :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Caesar III said:
for the minecart. You need to stand on top of it to right click it with coal and then quickly right click on the normal mine cart in front of it :D

I get that part. The problem is, no matter which way I'm facing when I put down the powered cart, it's facing the wrong direction.

Ok the save feauture is pissing me off. It should allow me to start where I save and with all items I possessed at the time of my save. Instead it starts me back from the original spawn and I have to travel back to where I died in order to get all of my items back.

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Ok the save feauture is pissing me off. It should allow me to start where I save and with all items I possessed at the time of my save. Instead it starts me back from the original spawn and I have to travel back to where I died in order to get all of my items back.
That's kind of...the point, I think. It only saves the progress of your world, and losing your items is the danger of monsters/falls/lava. You can play on peaceful if you want less danger but I assume it was designed with item loss and far spawn location in mind.

I don't know if there will be options to change spawn location or teleport in the future. I think you can use mineedit or something like that (third party tool) to change your spawn, and you can also back up your world directory I guess if you are ultra far from your original spawn.

Razorskin

----- ------
LovingSteam said:

You mean the respawn feature right?

My new world before multiplayer.

wntgR.png

Stitch

Gold Member
Stitch said:
nice, explained the game to my mom, got crushed by my own mine cart, now i can't find my home :(
now I'm sitting in a small cave with a torch, waiting for the sun...

thanks to cartograph i finally found my home.

bleh, i want to save at my home, the spawn point is in fucking nowhere >:[

anyway, found some red powder. what the hell is this?

Twig

Banned
FlyinJ said:
I get that part. The problem is, no matter which way I'm facing when I put down the powered cart, it's facing the wrong direction.
It doesn't matter which way it's facing. It only matters from which direction you put in the coal. It will ALWAYS go in the opposite direction of the side in which you put the coal. For better or worse. D:

rohlfinator said:
Whoa, how big is your save file for that?
My world is 12.27MB. x:

Also: I have a fountain! And I started filling in the holes with glass. Holy crap I'm gonna need a lot more sand! (And a new skin.)

javaw%202010-08-02%2016-39-35-55.jpg

javaw%202010-08-02%2016-40-32-95.jpg

Vinci

Danish
Twig said:
And I started filling in the holes with glass. Holy crap I'm gonna need a lot more sand!

It's time like this, I wish I could come into your game and give you stuff. I have four large chests full of sand and another three filled with glass on my dungeon game. I'd happily give it to you, I'm not building anything on this world till the dungeon is at least one level fully complete. Then I might take a break.

Just found my first couple of lava pools down near the bedrock. It was really bugging me that I hadn't found any yet. Also found quite a bit of gold. I got completely lost trying to escape with my haul so I just dug straight up until I hit the surface. Luckily it was daylight so I found my way home safely. Now my castle has it's own lava pool! Still haven't found any diamonds yet though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Anther 30 minutes of play, I hate how I have to keep stopping my progress to go and get more stone or sand and such.
world-1-08-02-10b.png

My huts are becoming more and more conservative. Like a built into the ground house made of dirt. I do still have so much wood that I can make door for every house though. Also, see this little area here? Look hard enough on the map and you will find it:
thison.png

There is a hole going right down to the bed rock. Also, I have a chest with some of the stuff I don't need stored there, like Red Dust and food.

Stitch

Gold Member
how do i use the bucket to fill it with water? I'm punching the water with the buckt but that doesn't work!?

trapped myself in a wall of coal. everything got dark and i don't have the resource to make a torch :lol I guess i'll wait for it to get daytime. at least no one will attack me :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
DMPrince said:
trapped myself in a wall of coal. everything got dark and i don't have the resource to make a torch :lol I guess i'll wait for it to get daytime. at least no one will attack me :lol
You have no wood at all?

Razorskin

----- ------
LovingSteam said:
You respawn but not at the location you died at.

No I was pointing out in your post you called it the save feature, while it's really the respawn feature. I know what happens when you die.

Vinci

Danish
Talked a friend of mine into getting this, and he just called and said, "What the hell am I supposed to do the first night?" I said, "Frantically search for what you need to make torches and a small dirt hut, set all of that up, and then hide. Mine during the night from within your hut as long as you have enough torches to light your way as you dig. Things don't really get interesting till the second or third day."

Good/bad advice?

He apparently ran into a skeleton-spider-creeper trio and they killed him. Which isn't surprising - that's an annoying grouping to have to deal with when all you have is a cheap-ass sword and no armor to speak of.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The first thing to do after you get a few brick of wood and a wood pickax, make a stone pickax, and start looking for exposed coal on mountains. Once you have a few pieces of Coal, you are set.

I decided 2 days ago to create a huge underwater dome which reaches the bottom of the map where I'm going to build up a nice looking house or a church or something. I was so wrong in my ETA calculations :D I'm at around 1/3 the way so far :lol

033.jpg

From inside the tower looking up

034.jpg

View right from the underwater entrance into the deep

035.jpg

Close look from the outside

036.jpg

a bit further away

037.jpg

from the top of my water lift tower

038.jpg

shot while in the air from jumping off that tower at night :lol

I'm already at the bottom of the map in the center (2x2 blocks hole all the way through) and on one corner where I checked first if there is a cave or something. And indeed there was about 5 blocks above the bottom. A huge cave system with lava and water and everything. I accidently created a see of Obsidian DAMNIT :D

sophora

I decided to roll for a snow world and got it. I was going to be a nomad and just explore with bare mining. I ended up dieing with quite a bit of coal on me and came back to my spawn and decided to make a little base at my spawn, at a nice little island that happened to have some coal.

It was getting dark so I put some torches outside and some inside along with some bare essentials. Nothing special just a furnace, workbench and a large chest. It was kind of lonely there so I looked outside my door at the moon which was rising as I happened upon this little chicken at my door. He made his way inside and walked around the place.

afriend.png

It was charming watching this little guy flap around my home space. Kind of liking having him there, like having a friend to come back to. Guess I'm sort of feeling like Tom Hanks in Cast Away :lol Also using a zombie mob skin for my avatar. Kind of weird for a zombie to befriending a chicken but I like it. The idea of a lone good zombie fighting off his own as well as other baddies doesn't seem like a bad one.

Just wondering if animals de-spawn if you go away too far from them. I'd be sad if I went exploring for a while and came home to an empty house :/

Stitch

Gold Member
heh, when you find a dungeon with a spawn thing you can set the difficulty to peaceful, grab the items in the chest and then you can set the difficulty back to your normal difficulty :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom