• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
LovingSteam said:
This was a bad idea to buy this game as I been playing it for the last 12 out of 24 hours lol.

lol. i know what you mean. And cool tower above you o.o

n0b

I am currently lost. I'm searching for my house, but its still fun exploring.

I made myself a skin though. :)
3008x0o.png

Stitch

Gold Member
n0b said:
I am currently lost. I'm searching for my house, but its still fun exploring.

put some torches on the ground, load your map up in cartograph. this way you can see where you are and where your house is.

well, but that only really works when your home has lot's of torches outside :D

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
SO pumped. Found a plethora of diamonds in the underground cavern I discovered. Seriously 6+ veins of diamonds. Plenty of other ores too.

Problem - tons of creepers.

This led me to find the BEST weapon against creepers and mobs. Lava filled buckets.

Huggy

It's weird how am I'm playing this game while it doesn't have any concrete goals. It's also stupid, since I'm building a lighthouse so I can wander off more without getting lost.
There's something insane about it, standing on a mile high 3x3 glass tower fiddling with a bucket filled to the brim with lava.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Huggy said:
It's weird how am I'm playing this game while it doesn't have any concrete goals. It's also stupid, since I'm building a lighthouse so I can wander off more without getting lost.
There's something insane about it, standing on a mile high 3x3 glass tower fiddling with a bucket filled to the brim with lava.
Now thats a good plan for a light house, I'll have to use lava instead of torches next time.

I still find it odd that trees only burn when you are in the area, since the trees at spawn are still on fire according to Cateograph.

Blizzard

Banned
Huggy said:
One of the more amusing, and perhaps sadly apt comments I have seen came from someone on the free creative version who called it an "autism simulator". :lol Especially when the calm piano music kicks in and when you realize you have been making...a building, for the last four hours. ;_;

sophora said:
Just wondering if animals de-spawn if you go away too far from them. I'd be sad if I went exploring for a while and came home to an empty house :/

Stick a bit of grass in there - one of the floors of my tower is grass, I like having a bunch of animals roaming around (super convenient feathers & bacon) :p

Speaking of which, I finished my house finally (took ages because I kept falling to my death x_x);

java2010-08-0223-49-11-46.jpg

java2010-08-0223-52-31-40.jpg

However, it's a bit bare on the inside - has anyone had any luck finding papyrus on an ice level? Haven't seen it anywhere.

Blizzard

Banned
K2Valor said:
Yep, animals de-spawn
I'm glad you said that, though I may still keep testing. I was trying horribly frustrating efforts to make a sheep pen yesterday. :lol You would get half of it done and then the thing would escape.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Bootaaay said:
However, it's a bit bare on the inside - has anyone had any luck finding papyrus on an ice level? Haven't seen it anywhere.

I found some exactly once. It was growing under an overhang with a tiny bit of nonfrozen water. Think you have to be really lucky.

ZOMGPaperClips said:
Link to the texture / mod package you're using? Much easier on the eyes!

Here you go.
http://thesoupiest.tumblr.com/

On another note, I've been working on a castle type building on a home made island. Here's a view of the wetlands area I made so I would have a nice view:

acity.jpg

and here are a few of the castle itself, nothing amazing yet.

2rwwyg9.jpg

16jlkkh.jpg

1268h3b.jpg

Used over 24 stacks of cobblestone. It was glorious.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
ashbash159 said:
Just bought it and uploaded a video to show of my house and it's garden with the view down to the underground tree. Please watch.

I might steal you that underground tree idea.

Bootaaay said:
I kept falling to my death x_x
Actually I'm more scared falling of a high distance like inside my dome or running into lava than mobs.

But it happend that I left my dome through the underwater entrance right in the middle of the water (like seen in the shots) and wanted to go to my tower when I heard a "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"BOOOM

This fucker was waiting for me on the surface and I did not consider there could be a mob at all lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Stitch said:
heh, when you find a dungeon with a spawn thing you can set the difficulty to peaceful, grab the items in the chest and then you can set the difficulty back to your normal difficulty :p
And if you're even smarter, you'll make a water trap thing below a floating mob spawn block and chaching: automatic string/feather dispenser.

Boonoo

K2Valor said:
25 diamonds now :D

99% of it will go towards pickaxes.

I like a diamond shovel, myself. I tend to go through shovels a lot faster than pick axes when I'm doing some serious spelunking.

So the free browser version runs like shit.. on short draw distance I am lucky if I get 10fps is there any hope for the download version?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, just shot a "short" video of me going around my base, and it ended up being 30+ minutes long. Maybe it would of been shorter if I didn't dick around and try to figure out where a few of my old tunnels went.

Oh well, splinting it up then I am going to upload them to youtube to show off to all 3 people who will watch it :lol

Edit: Wish I knew youtube just upped the limit to 15 minute chunks. Oh well, I'll just make the final video longer so I don't have to cut it into 4 parts.

Dragnet

JetBlackPanda said:
So the free browser version runs like shit.. on short draw distance I am lucky if I get 10fps is there any hope for the download version?

Do you have fog on all the way up? (Press F)

nataku

So I'm digging down to the bottom of the world, trying to find something better than iron, and I hear this chime type music. It only goes on for a couple seconds. Anyone know what it is? Should I seek it out?

It kind of sounds like the type of chime you'd hear when you discover a secret room or treasure chest or something like that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Step 1) Ask your self "Do I already have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package" If yes, skip to step 3!
Step 2) Get Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package
Step 3) Download Catoagraph, by clicking "Download for Windows"
Step 4) Extract contents to a 'Folder'
Step 5) Click 'Cartograph.exe'

ZZMitch

For some reason, whenever I try to use the cartographer program it just says I am missing some file... any one else had this problem?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ZZMitch said:
For some reason, whenever I try to use the cartographer program it just says I am missing some file... any one else had this problem?
Did you get the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package? You sort of need it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ZZMitch said:
Yep, I have it.
Sure? Installed it right before Cartograph?

What does it say you are missing?

Mine says I'm missing MSVCP100.dll
Thats part of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package. You did download and install it just now, right?

Ok, was able to get it to work. I just tried reinstalling Micro visual C++ 2010

Drkirby said:

Thats part of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package. You did download and install it just now, right?

I had installed it awhile ago but tried doing it again and this time it worked.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
LovingSteam said:
Ok, was able to get it to work. I just tried reinstalling Micro visual C++ 2010

I had installed it awhile ago but tried doing it again and this time it worked.
My guess is you had the 2008 version. But who knows.

ZZMitch

Drkirby said:

Yeah, i just installed it... I will try reinstalling when get back to my computer.

@ LovingSteam: I guess you use Win7x64 and you had the 64 version of it installed. This was it in my case at least. I had to install the x32 as well. Dunno why.

Here it is, and a couple of others.

2csg9wn.png

ssssssssssssssssssssss.png

Fort_Survival_Mode_by_Dezrok.jpg

Been feeling like I'm stuck in a rut building my base, so I'm leaving home :D Got a full gold armour and I've stocked my inventory, going to pick an interesting looking edge of the map on Cartographer and set off for pastures new.

superbank said:
Is there a way to make infinite lava like I can with water? Otherwise, an obsidian structure is still hard to make.

You can't make infinite lave no. However some deep lava lakes are made up entirely of lava springs, so with enough buckets you can get a lot.

Twig

Banned
I finished putting glass in my thing! While I was doing so, those GODDAMN CHICKENS, kept trying to push me into the holes that I hadn't yet filled.

javaw%202010-08-02%2020-37-21-38.jpg

Fuckers.

javaw%202010-08-02%2021-36-38-77.jpg

Sorry, I was too lazy to wait for the clouds to pass by. U:

And then also tested out what I've done so far with my texture pack.

javaw%202010-08-02%2021-53-27-70.jpg

I like the idea of everything being sort of riveted in place. Kind of like... SMB3, now that I look at it again, though that wasn't the intention when I started. D:

Probably gonna tweak the glass some more, make it even less intrusive on the eyes.

Feel free to make fun of my tiles. :3

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Charmicarmicat said:
You can't make infinite lave no. However some deep lava lakes are made up entirely of lava springs, so with enough buckets you can get a lot.

Ah ok. All I found so far was a small pool of lava. :( Gotta look some more.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
LovingSteam said:
How do you create a smelter?
If you mean a furnace:

XXX
XOX
XXX

X's being cobblestone, O being a blank space.

If you mean something that gets rid of unwanted materials, just get lava and put it in an empty square. There's an easy trash can :)

G-Fex

How do you guys do that huge zoom out to see the entire map? That may help me in finding my way home.

Anyways the sounds are freaking me out I almost can't play this game anymore, and it's on Peaceful.

I'm over there trying to escape this cave I fell into. I dug into my mine, I fell into this cave with running water which pushed me deeper, I find a place, I dig my way up trying to escape to land cause I wasn't ready to explore yet, so I'm doing so as quick as possible. A fucking piano tune like something out of lost starts playing and freaks me out more. So I dig I dig and finally I hear cows. I'm out of there and I look down at that entrance to that god forsaken cave. Blast this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom