• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
K2Valor said:
My minecraft WIP - "Hollow Mountain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusPfC7L9Vc
That reminds me, I want to make a "Secret Underground mountain forest" in multiplayer. Go a good bit away from spawn, until I make it to a 3rd mountain, then dig a small hole in it, make a nice clearing, and get put some well hidden pieces of glass in the celling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7TnBCrCrYc i just saw this. i think GAF needs to make a city wtf.

All those trees are unrealistic in an actual game.

Plus, a lot of the blocks he is using can't be had in Survival yet. No dyes for wool blocks yet.

The city of Gaf will having buildings of solid gold though. No other good use of the stuff other then making golden apples.

So I basically take said items and right click on the furnace to drop them in to be smelt?
Yes, but you also need something to burn it with. Coal is by far the best, burning for quite a while, but you can use Wood Sticks, planks, and Bricks for fuel too if you are desperate.

Razorskin

----- ------
LovingSteam said:
So I basically take said items and right click on the furnace to drop them in to be smelt?

Right click the furnace, put the item you want to smelt on the top left, then put your fuel (either coal or wood) on the bottom left. The result is going to be on the right, you can leave the furnace to smelt while you go do other stuff.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Razorskin said:
Right click the furnace, put the item you want to smelt on the top left, then put your fuel (either coal or wood) on the bottom left. The result is going to be on the right, you can leave the furnace to smelt while you go do other stuff.
Only bad thing is since pork doesn't stack, you have to sit there and cook it all one by one.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
DMPrince said:
how do i reskin the game? i saw this tutorial. http://img35.imageshack.us/f/reskinminecrafttut.png/

and it had folders i don't have even though i bought the game. is there a download link i have to click on to know i bought the game?

I have no idea why that image is listing all of those folders.

On Vista and Windows 7, at least, your Minecraft folder should be located here: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft

Otherwise the rest of the image is accurate. Basically just download a skin and paste/drag it into the minecraft.jar in the appropriate folder using Winrar or similar program.

Vinci

Danish
For what it's worth, I'm looking forward to the GAF server, but I am really curious how we're going to be able to put our own unique stamps on things without stepping on one another's toes. Perhaps we should spend some time in this thread developing a formula for how we're going to make it work. For example, should we vote on the sort of building we should next create within a certain area and have everyone collaborate on that building - or create a street and give lots to each builder to build upon as they like, collaborating as they please?

I think our perceptions as Minecraft players would need to shift within a multiplayer context - from being completely isolated within our own creative thoughts and processes to something very communal in mind, where it's not about people looking around and seeing your efforts but rather seeing the result of the GAF community's combined work.

I don't know, just throwing shit out there. Seeing what sticks.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My idea is just let it flow. Don't even bar people from building onto others stuff, make it a mesh of all our creativity. Just don't start carving up other peoples stuff.

Also, try to be conservative with the lava.

Blizzard

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
I really want to get into this, but I can barely get the classic version to run ok... oh well my 4 year old laptop fails me again.
I assume you already tried the fog/view distance setting. Also make sure you have updated your Java runtime recently. If it's embedded graphics then yeah, you may be out of luck I guess.

Eteric Rice

15gpb7n.jpg

Jesus Christ who did this...?

I want the full version of this game. I gotta go buy a stupid gift card. :(

thefil

Does anyone have a tip for building sky bridges? I'm having trouble edging out to extend it, I always fall to my death.

To be clear, by sky bridge I mean something to this effect

O <-- me
[]=================== <-- bridge I am trying to extend
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[] \/-- certain death

Boonoo

For stuff I like that I just edge out backwards until I can see a sliver of the side of the block I want to stick another to.

..........O right here I can just barely see the right edge of the block, so I can place another.
[ ][ ][ ]<--place new block here.
(side veiw)
It takes some getting used to, but can be used fairly reliably.

It's a lot easier if you do something at least three blocks wide, though, then you can look sideways from one side to the other and place a block on the far side. Four blocks would be even safer, and then you could slim them down to one if you liked
............[ ]<--new block
[O][ ][ ][ ]
(top down view)

Kuran

Banned
You can try inching towards the edge as much as possible, basically as soon as you see the tiniest bit of the edge you have to build against, you can select and build on it.

Or you can build a sand platform underneath it, to create a safety net.

Boonoo said:
For stuff I like that I just edge out backwards until I can see a sliver of the side of the block I want to stick another to.

..........O right here I can just barely see the right edge of the block, so I can place another.
[ ][ ][ ]<--place new block here.
(side veiw)
It takes some getting used to, but can be used fairly reliably.

It's a lot easier if you do something at least three blocks wide, though, then you can look sideways from one side to the other and place a block on the far side. Four blocks would be even safer, and then you could slim them down to one if you liked
............[ ]<--new block
[O][ ][ ][ ]
(top down view)

Pretty much this. I built a sky bridge with waterfalls going down the side of the entire thing, which is forever long. I did the entire thing by just inching to the edge, eventually you get very good at it and it moves pretty quickly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
thefil said:
Does anyone have a tip for building sky bridges? I'm having trouble edging out to extend it, I always fall to my death.

To be clear, by sky bridge I mean something to this effect

O <-- me
[]=================== <-- bridge I am trying to extend
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[] \/-- certain death
Protip: Don't fall

Thats about it. Maybe fill the area you are over with some water? I think about 3 or 4 bricks deep will break any fall.

Javaman

Dragnet said:
Do you have fog on all the way up? (Press F)

Holy mother of god. I've been running with the most fog all this time. It looks so much better now. Another random tip that I saw at the beginning of the thread was that the clouds always show you with way north is.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've found the Bedrock for the first time today, and with it found my first pool of lava.

I'm thinking about grabbing it all and bringing it with me to the surface to use later. How should I proceed? Should I bring an inventory full of buckets?

Boonoo

Brazil said:
I've found the Bedrock for the first time today, and with it found my first pool of lava.

I'm thinking about grabbing it all and bringing it with me to the surface to use later. How should I proceed? Should I bring an inventory full of buckets?

Yup, with at least one full of water in case you need to douse yourself.

Javaman

Brazil said:

I was standing on the bedrock and digging around above me and I popped open a lava tube. :lol I ended up trapped and couldn't get out before being overrun. Thankfully I was able to respawn and cap it off then get my stuff but that was a pretty scary moment. protip, don't dig above you when you're super deep.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, just died on my map from falling 30 blocks. And after doing so, walked back to the point I died at. Took a solid 30 minutes of walking to get back.

This is what I died on. After I made a ladder going to the top of it, I was about to try and make a bridge connecting it to the mountains behind it, fell and died.

tall.png

Here is my current map:
world-1-08-03-a.png

Heh, didn't even realized I turned.

While you may of taken my life once giant pillar, I have still conquered you. So let me celebrate the farthest point along my map I have gotten:
fuckyeah.png
fuckyeah2.png

Kuran

Banned
Drkirby said:
Ok, just died on my map from falling 30 blocks. And after doing so, walked back to the point I died at. Took a solid 30 minutes of walking to get back.

This is what I died on. After I made a ladder going to the top of it, I was about to try and make a bridge connecting it to the mountains behind it, fell and died.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3496710/cr[/QUOTE]

How do I create maps like this? Does it exist for the Mac platform?

Ashodin

4ig5lh.jpg

First mini hut. Made it after several nights - I must be lucky because I built it on an island in the middle of the ice lake!

besada

Banned
thefil said:
Does anyone have a tip for building sky bridges?

I build scaffolding. Using earth or stone, whichever I have the most of, I build a pillar of similar height by jumping straight up and dropping a block beneath me. Then I build five or six sections of the bridge, destroy my pillar, then build another one.

Personally I spend less time that way because I don't fall off and have to run back to the bridge endpoint.

I find myself building scaffolding for lots of stuff, though.

|ync

ashbash159 said:
Just bought it and uploaded a video to show of my house and it's garden with the view down to the underground tree. Please watch.

looks cool, I would hollow out some more space around that tree though, when it grows it's going to fill that shaft completely.

everyones' projects are looking awesome, how come you're not pimping that blog you made anymore GDJustin? I thought it was a good idea to keep track of everything..

|ync

thefil said:

Earlier in the thread I posted my technique for it that has worked well for me and it sounded like a lot of others did the same thing. I spent a paragraph trying to describe it but then someone brilliantly said it was like parallel parking: zig-zag your way towards the edge instead of heading at it straight on.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
oh wow, I just figured out how to craft way faster. Usually when crafting I would drag each item/group of items into my inventory, 1 or 4 items at a time. Turns out that you can keep left-clicking, and it will group up more items, until you get to 64. All this time I was doing it a really slow way :lol

Javaman

K2Valor said:
My minecraft WIP - "Hollow Mountain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusPfC7L9Vc

That's an awesome way to do it. (starting from above and digging straight down). I was going to do the same from inside the mountain horizontally but gave up before even trying it due to what would be annoying "punch throughs" of the side.

Maxrpg said:
4ig5lh.jpg

First mini hut. Made it after several nights - I must be lucky because I built it on an island in the middle of the ice lake!

Now all you need is a big storage box to go in the middle of those!

Verdre said:
I found some exactly once. It was growing under an overhang with a tiny bit of nonfrozen water. Think you have to be really lucky.

Yeah, on my level I walked straight in one direction for the whole day and night and didn't find a single papyrus, pain in the ass - think i'm going to have to roll a non-ice level.

ZZMitch

I added the saturated texture pack to Minecraft.. it is amazing, but I am getting some weird artifacting or something on weapons and items I am carrying (but not on blocks I am carrying).

Anyone else have this issue?

I will post a picture later, but I am not by my computer atm

Lyon

The_Technomancer said:
Wait...if you change your skin, does it carry over into the MP? I would think that the MP would still just use everyone's local resources.
It's not local, you will see everyones custom skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom