• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Yeti said:
So, would a Visa Gift Card work to buy this game?

He accepts instant bank transfers through Paypal if you have that. Just found out today trying to figure out if Visa Gift Cards work. I could have been playing all weekend damnit!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey look buddy, I'm an engineer
That means I solve problems
Not problems like "what is beauty", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy
I solve practical problems.
Problems like "how am I going to stop some Creeper from blowing my home to structurally superfluous rubble"
The answer is a wall of lava.
And if that doesn't work....use more lava.
90nibl.png

besada

Banned
Great engineer skin.

I'm in the middle of digging a huge central shaft, and I can't seem to run across any stuff for making damn torches. Even though I have some natural sunlight filtering down, once you dig deep enough it's damn hard to see.

Also, boats are bad escape vehicles from monsters when the water is frozen. That spider was fast.

Blizzard

Banned
besada said:
Great engineer skin.

I'm in the middle of digging a huge central shaft, and I can't seem to run across any stuff for making damn torches. Even though I have some natural sunlight filtering down, once you dig deep enough it's damn hard to see.

Also, boats are bad escape vehicles from monsters when the water is frozen. That spider was fast.
In my limited experience, you may have better luck finding coal by just looking on exposed mountainsides or in natural caves rather than in your own mine. Of course, it might be harder to spot in snow.

Javaman

jon bones said:
can't wait for MP

this'll be the first game i really get into with GAF pc gaming community! huzzah!

Someone should start up a minecraft GAF steam community and thread in the online section.

I'm too lazy.

Vinci

Danish
besada said:
I build scaffolding. Using earth or stone, whichever I have the most of, I build a pillar of similar height by jumping straight up and dropping a block beneath me. Then I build five or six sections of the bridge, destroy my pillar, then build another one.

Personally I spend less time that way because I don't fall off and have to run back to the bridge endpoint.

I find myself building scaffolding for lots of stuff, though.

I do a mixture of scaffolding and the whole edge trick as Boonoo described. It's case-by-case. If I'm working on a huge expanse, I'll scaffold as it saves time relative to the other method, but for a smaller structure, it's less of a necessity. Seriously, I don't care how good you are at the edge building method, work on something long enough you ARE going to fall eventually. I got pretty good at it in Create Mode, but I still fell from time to time.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
DMPrince said:
can i make windows?

I don't mean punch a hole in the wall. i mean like a wooden framed window or something.
Put sand in the furnace, and you get some glass. Would that work?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
DMPrince said:
can i make windows?

I don't mean punch a hole in the wall. i mean like a wooden framed window or something.
You could punch a hole on the wall and fill it with a glass block.

Edit: Beaten.

Orgun

What a fantastic game, thanks GAF :) I've just joined the Steam group also.

I've only just started (and died once already, zombie snuck up on me) so all i've done so far is build a bunch of tools (had to use the Minepedia for that as I was going in blind) and dig myself a little hole on an island to hide in at night :) I don't even have torches to light my way :lol

edit: I just noticed the Minecraft steam group logo, nice work whoever did that :D Must have taken awhile heh.

Giard

I'm trying to upload a new skin by going on minecraft.net/skin, but everytime I click upload it says

"Error!

There was an error while saving the skin.
java.lang.NullPointerException"

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Nvm I'm retarded :lol

The Technomancer

Hm, Notch says that the MP is going up early tomorrow. I'm leaving for Gen Con at 2pm Central, so hopefully I'll be able to get on for just a short while before I have to go.

Orgun

Holy crap, I just got raided by a few creepers...which then blew up and took out a good chunk of my...cave :lol

So scary at night without torches.

Giard

"a _LOT_ will be missing from the release tomorrow. Almost everything, in fact. No PVP, no limited maps, no server browsing, no passwords."

Are there gonna be private servers tomorrow...?
I guess you have to enter the hosts' IP to join if that's the case

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Giard said:
"a _LOT_ will be missing from the release tomorrow. Almost everything, in fact. No PVP, no limited maps, no server browsing, no passwords."

Since it says no server browsing, I am guessing the same thing.

Vinci

Danish
Okay, I have finalized my maze design. Now I have to finish building it. I'm assuming this will take me another several days. Ugh.

Also, I will join the Steam group after work either tonight or tomorrow. :D

Orgun

Well my little cave/hut thing was no good, I got trapped and surrounded without any food so they whittled me down to death. I'm guessing when you die it is a complete restart?

Anyway this game is going better, I found a huge hole in the ground with loads of coal and iron at the bottom so I harvested a bunch of trees and then made my way down the bottom and there is a whole cave system here :D I'm slowly turning it into a base of operations...mainly because it will take me ages to climb back out :D

Came across an underwater river, so relaxing heh.

The Technomancer

So how does everyone keep track of where they have and haven't been in their cavern complexes? My current strategy is to make sure that anywhere I explore with dedication I carve away all of the little blocks that make it look natural, so that anywhere with nice regular rectangular corridors is an instant indication that I've spent time down there.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Alivor said:
Just bought it, and I'm pretty overwhelmed with everything that's going on. It's a lot to do.
Start out just looking for some coal and trying to set up your first shelter. Once your first shelter is set up, start mining for some resources, or you can go spelunking (find already made caves.. usually have more accessible resources).

Your necessary task is getting some light - torches and setting up somewhere safe

Rapstah said:
For your own character, check http://www.minecraft.net/skin/.

Thanks! I was fooling around trying to get lava and water to mix together in some caves I found and I lit myself on fire. You die pretty quick when that happens, and if I hadn't been near water it probably would have killed me. :lol

Maybe it's just because I am really anal but I haven't died yet. Then again I run away like a scared animal if I hear a grunt of any kind. The cave system I found with the lava in it has a ton of ore and resources in it. I got like 100 redstone, a few diamonds, and a bunch of gold from it already.

Is there any way to transport maps from machine to machine? Can I just copy the files or something?

KScorp

The_Technomancer said:
So how does everyone keep track of where they have and haven't been in their cavern complexes? My current strategy is to make sure that anywhere I explore with dedication I carve away all of the little blocks that make it look natural, so that anywhere with nice regular rectangular corridors is an instant indication that I've spent time down there.

I just stick torches everywhere and anywhere. If there is a dark spot, I haven't explored it yet. This prevents baddies from spawning in explored areas as well.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
K2Valor said:
Anyone see the Minecart boosters? Much better than powered minecarts
I thought Notch disabled them from working.

Is there any way to transport maps from machine to machine? Can I just copy the files or something?
You need to find the save folder, and copy the world. Only way at the moment.

Drkirby said:
I thought Notch disabled them from working.

You need to find the save folder, and copy the world. Only way at the moment.

If I were to do that, then paste it onto another machine, would there be a problem with the world numbers? I have saves on my work PC and my home PC both in the first world slot, but I want to bring my work save home with me.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
If I were to do that, then paste it onto another machine, would there be a problem with the world numbers? I have saves on my work PC and my home PC both in the first world slot, but I want to bring my work save home with me.
Just rename the folder. They folders are labeled "World 1" "World 2" ect, so just rename it to World 2 if you copy it to anther machine.

I sort of wish our saves were kept online, but then I guess it would eat Notch's fortune :lol

Philthy

Giard said:

It sounds like it will be pretty much people playing with friends and giving each other their IPs to begin with.

I'll be happy if it can just support 2 people in the same world building stuff without crashing all the time. Anything more than that and I'll be pleasantly surprised. This game is alpha, so im not expecting to jump on a server with 30 people without any bugs day one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Philthy said:
It sounds like it will be pretty much people playing with friends and giving each other their IPs to begin with.

I'll be happy if it can just support 2 people in the same world building stuff without crashing all the time. Anything more than that and I'll be pleasantly surprised. This game is alpha, so im not expecting to jump on a server with 30 people without any bugs day one.
I just hope it doesn't crash to much, the first run crashed a lot.

Oh, don't forget, there will be no pigs to kill for food, so we are going to have to farm for our food for when we fall and get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom