• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Drkirby said:
I just hope it doesn't crash to much, the first run crashed a lot.

Oh, don't forget, there will be no pigs to kill for food, so we are going to have to farm for our food for when we fall and get hurt.

Or just ditch all your items into a box and finish yourself off.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Javaman said:
Or just ditch all your items into a box and finish yourself off.
So wait, are you saying to commit suicided every time I am low on health is easier then to just farm and make some loafs of bread to eat :lol

Drkirby said:
I just hope it doesn't crash to much, the first run crashed a lot.

Oh, don't forget, there will be no pigs to kill for food, so we are going to have to farm for our food for when we fall and get hurt.

I created an aquarium/greenhouse inside my cave abode. I was digging and the wall sprung a leak, so I plugged it up, got some glass and made a giant glass wall to the surface of the water. I put some torches outside to melt the snow off of it, then dug underneath the glass wall to let some water in next to my dirt. I have eight patches of farm land and I come back and bake a loaf or two every time I am back from mining expeditions. It's handy. I might expand it a bit to make more arable land.

Seems like most of you guys build housing above ground. I've mostly been staying underground and making giant cave fortresses.

I wish there was a way to capture animals. I was planning on making a big pen full of chickens or something like that since I read they drop feathers randomly.

besada

Banned
I dug so deep gravity ran out. I'm stuck.

2qbhge1.jpg

Cryect

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
If I were to do that, then paste it onto another machine, would there be a problem with the world numbers? I have saves on my work PC and my home PC both in the first world slot, but I want to bring my work save home with me.

Nope, I've duplicated my worlds and changed the numbers before for experimentation with destruction.

Edit: Damn I need to refresh when I'm at work before replying.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
besada said:

2qbhge1.jpg
Its a glitch that happens every now and then to me. Just save and exit your world, and load it back up, and try to move away from the area.

Happens a lot in one small settlement in my nomad area, I just say the house is cursed.

Javaman

Drkirby said:
So wait, are you saying to commit suicided every time I am low on health is easier then to just farm and make some loafs of bread to eat :lol

I do it all the time, but I didn't build very far from spawn. It would be different if I had to walk a long ways.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I created an aquarium/greenhouse inside my cave abode. I was digging and the wall sprung a leak, so I plugged it up, got some glass and made a giant glass wall to the surface of the water. I put some torches outside to melt the snow off of it, then dug underneath the glass wall to let some water in next to my dirt. I have eight patches of farm land and I come back and bake a loaf or two every time I am back from mining expeditions. It's handy. I might expand it a bit to make more arable land.

Seems like most of you guys build housing above ground. I've mostly been staying underground and making giant cave fortresses.

I wish there was a way to capture animals. I was planning on making a big pen full of chickens or something like that since I read they drop feathers randomly.
My houses tend to be above land or built into the side of a mountain, with underground tunnels connecting them.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
How hard would it be to play this on a touchpad? I'm definitely going to get this game, just wanna know if I should wait until I can pick up a USB-mouse.

Boonoo

besada said:

2qbhge1.jpg

That's happened to me twice, and both times my save was more or less fucked. Nothing could kill me, and I couldn't move. The second time, though, I had a backup, so all wasn't lost.

besada

Banned
Bootaaay said:
That happened to me earlier - just save and reload and you should fall back to earth :D

Sadly untrue. I'm stuck like chuck. I did a reload and then I shut the game down and restarted.

The_Technomancer said:
So how does everyone keep track of where they have and haven't been in their cavern complexes? My current strategy is to make sure that anywhere I explore with dedication I carve away all of the little blocks that make it look natural, so that anywhere with nice regular rectangular corridors is an instant indication that I've spent time down there.

I explore a section fully from left to right and create a dirt wall from one side to the next to block off explored sections. I also work backwards so i get all my torches back. Very effective for knowing where you have been. However, on massive caves this can be difficult. But in either case I build something that tells me I was there.

BlisterBrown said:
How hard would it be to play this on a touchpad? I'm definitely going to get this game, just wanna know if I should wait until I can pick up a USB-mouse.

Meh, buy it and play however you must.

Cryect

TheExecutive said:
I explore a section fully from left to right and create a dirt wall from one side to the next to block off explored sections. I also work backwards so i get all my torches back. Very effective for knowing where you have been. However, on massive caves this can be difficult. But in either case I build something that tells me I was there.

I do similar except I keep my torches everywhere and instead use redstone torches as my indication of this way back and pick them up as I return.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
My mines are erratic and spontaneous. Usually I mine until I find a premade cave and then I go back and block all the alternate pathways so I now have a main mine. The rest is just memory and torches.

I don't think anyone could navigate my mine but me, but that's kind of a beautiful thing :lol :lol

Ashodin

K2Valor said:
My mines are erratic and spontaneous. Usually I mine until I find a premade cave and then I go back and block all the alternate pathways so I now have a main mine. The rest is just memory and torches.

I don't think anyone could navigate my mine but me, but that's kind of a beautiful thing :lol :lol
Sounds like multiplayer will be hit or miss because of this. Your mine would become someone else's mine. Guess it'll have to be like the old west - I STAKE THIS CLAIM :lol

filipe

I've prepared the Dell computer I have here so the server. It'll be a dedicated machine, but we need a second volunteer just incase problems arise.

Javaman

Maxrpg said:
Sounds like multiplayer will be hit or miss because of this. Your mine would become someone else's mine. Guess it'll have to be like the old west - I STAKE THIS CLAIM :lol

You could always seal the entrance behind you and dissappear underground for hours on end. Kinda like hiding a chest. If you don't want someone to find your mine it'll be easy to prevent unless they break through to it underground by chance.

Ashodin

So I realized the shot I took for the new house outlook is similar here is the comparison!

old
4ig5lh.jpg

new
xc65xf.jpg

And more shots of the interior.

1060ig0.jpg

I has a basement! NOO UR TAKIN MY BASEMENT!

35n1ngh.jpg

To the guy earlier now I do have a big chest :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The_Technomancer said:
So how does everyone keep track of where they have and haven't been in their cavern complexes? My current strategy is to make sure that anywhere I explore with dedication I carve away all of the little blocks that make it look natural, so that anywhere with nice regular rectangular corridors is an instant indication that I've spent time down there.

Once I have fully explored a section, I make walls with cobblestones, and then place a door, with a sign. "Dead end + river" or "dead end + lava" or "exit to surface."

So then I know if I see cobblestone+door there's nothing interesting behind there, but I can more easily find water/lava/whatever if I need to.

It also goes a surprisingly long way towards making underground areas feel more "homey" and owned by the player. occasional cobblestone wall+door blocking the path combined with a little light mining to smooth out the worst rock protrusions + some wooden stairs and the caverns stop feeling like caverns at all.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
@xnotch How will our inventory and chests be? reset upon logout?
@yes, unfortunately. I failed to finish it on time :-\

Damn it. Well, I guess that means if we are going to log out, we will just have to give everything away.

This means we are going to have to store our gold, iron, and diamonds and wood as bricks though. Unless we get super screwed and the Furnace doesn't work ether :lol

Stitch

Gold Member
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I have wondered about something in this game. If you get on a snowy map, is the whole world snowy, or if you travel far enough will it not be snowy anymore?

It never stops ;_;

Oh and 1.0.15 is out

Rapstah

Drkirby said:
Damn it. Well, I guess that means if we are going to log out, we will just have to give everything away.

This means we are going to have to store our gold, iron, and diamonds and wood as bricks though. Unless we get super screwed and the Furnace doesn't work ether :lol
Unless someone programs a bank bot that holds your items until you take them out with a password in chat.

Blizzard

Banned
Trying to answer random questions from above:

• If you die, you restart at the world spawn point. You can move it with a third party program (Mineedit?) but otherwise you will always respawn at the same point. I think you always lose your armor, but your inventory may remain there for a few minutes if you hurry back to the spot you died. All buildings in the world should remain the same.
  • If you're in a snowy world, currently the whole world will be snowy. Hopefully this changes in the future, as well as more biomes being added (like swampy etc.) (fake edit, this was already answered)
  • Hopefully the server supporst IP bans, then we'll be set. :lol
  • If you get hurt from falling, if it's like Notch's server you can just set the difficulty to peaceful and you will recover HP (same if you get caught on fire by lava I think).

What's new in the latest versions?

*edit* Oh, inventory and especially chests resetting on logout will be a huge pain. I wonder if signs will work. Also, I'm almost certain the furnace DID NOT work when I was on the multiplayer server, does anyone know if he fixed that?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
filipe said:
I've prepared the Dell computer I have here so the server. It'll be a dedicated machine, but we need a second volunteer just incase problems arise.
He just said it will be using the same ports as Minecraft Classic, so why not host that in the mean time to make sure everything is set up ok.

Rapstah

I can have my computer running while I'm at work tomorrow if I can get Win7 to stop going into sleep mode after 20 minutes of not touching anything.

Philthy

Man, I have yet to find a cave that is explorable for more than a few minutes before it ends and I've dug a LOT in my world.

So much yet to see!

Nemic77

Soooo, I found a nice hollow moutain with a sweet overview of the surrounding. Built an awesome little settlement inside it, around huge pit that leads to a crazy maze deep in the moutain... The place was so beautiful I tried not to destroy any of the inside of the cave, bulding some stone walls and stairs to storage rooms...

Long story short... Once deep into that huge cave, I thought of taking a shortcut and jumping into a waterfall deep into the mine would break my fall, and save me several minutes navigatin the several floors of the cave. I ended up falling to my death and losing all my diamond tools and armor, and several other resources. :(

I always had trouble finding that specific mountain when I respawned, but I somehow took a completly wrong turn and thinking that the game world was created at the start of the game and limited to that size, I ended up a save almost 3 times as large. :lol

I kept trying to follow the coastline... Ended up with a huge Z shaped world now. Good times though, there so many epic moutains in these new areas... Crazy stuff.

PS: Minecraft just updated. Multiplayer is asking to enter the IP of a server. I thought the update was only due tomorrow?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:
Trying to answer random questions from above:

• If you die, you restart at the world spawn point. You can move it with a third party program (Mineedit?) but otherwise you will always respawn at the same point. I think you always lose your armor, but your inventory may remain there for a few minutes if you hurry back to the spot you died. All buildings in the world should remain the same.
  • If you're in a snowy world, currently the whole world will be snowy. Hopefully this changes in the future, as well as more biomes being added (like swampy etc.) (fake edit, this was already answered)
  • Hopefully the server supporst IP bans, then we'll be set. :lol
  • If you get hurt from falling, if it's like Notch's server you can just set the difficulty to peaceful and you will recover HP (same if you get caught on fire by lava I think).

What's new in the latest versions?

*edit* Oh, inventory and especially chests resetting on logout will be a huge pain. I wonder if signs will work. Also, I'm almost certain the furnace DID NOT work when I was on the multiplayer server, does anyone know if he fixed that?
Most likely got the client prepped to connect online, lava now can set things on fire (I thought it could before, but eh), and I think he tried to fix that bug causing us to get stuck at certain areas.

Razorskin

----- ------
filipe said:

Can you setup a creative server for a few hours?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Fire is much faster now. Trees go up in seconds

Edit: My lava flow I made has also started a forest fire. Nice.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh one other thing I forgot to mention. For anyone who still has a world where they get stuck hovering over the ground (I don't think it's happened to me yet) BACKUP YOUR FILES at that point, and at least email the level.dat file to Notch. He has fixed problems before with people's saves being corrupted, but he presumably needs your world when the problem is occurring so he can debug it. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
K2Valor said:
All we need is an IP for the GAF server.

Darn. Misunderstood by everybody. I meant that we need to remind everybody that the IP wont be given out. Only for pm. There is no GAF server yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom