• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I decided I'm going to make a day-by-day diary of a new world, so EVERYTHING that goes into making a base can be documented. People tend to ooh and ahh at big tree farms and towers, but it's the unsung stuff, like shifting ~500 dirt, that us minecraft players have to do to make space livable sometimes. And these tasks get overlooked!

DAY 1: Scouting, first coal, and hut building.

About two seconds after spawn, I found my first coal. The vein was 10 big - nice. There's coal EVERYWHERE but I didn't collect it for the time being. 10 is plenty.

I found a nice hill to the North and quickly decided to settle there. It's within site of my spawn, which is key. I get lose CONSTANTLY in minecraft. The picture isn't much (it was very tough to get a comprehensive angle of it), but it's a nice space.

minecraft-diary-1.png

As anyone following this topic for a long time knows, I'm actually not a fan of the popular "build a hut and hide" night 1 tactic. I think it's a huge waste of time. Much better to wall yourself in somewhere, so you can at least spend the night mining, instead of twiddling your thumbs.

BUT, like a complete noob, I lost track of time and night snuck up on my. I had to VERY quickly build a hut. I didn't even have enough dirt... had to use wood.

minecraft-diary-2.png

Day 1 materials:

96 planks
5 cobblestone
4 coal
10 saplings
3 yellow flowers
4 sticks
62 torches
2 wood pickaxes

minecraft-diary-3.png

The server software isn't being released until tomorrow, the update just gives clients the ability to connect to servers manually.

I’ll release it early tomorrow (probably in 13 hours from now), then fix bugs the rest of the day and prepare for Berlin.

GDJustin

Day 1

Day 2: Logging & leveling.

After noobing it up in my hut all night I noobed it up some more the next morning. Killed one creeper, but another snuck up behind me and got me.

minecraft-diary-day2-1.png

I spent the day chopping down all the trees on my hill. I'll replant them in a more systematic way later. For now they block my view and hinder the construction that's about to begin. An aerial shot of the bulk of my space. Boring now, but snapped to serve as a "before" picture:

minecraft-diary-day2-2.png

Day 2 materials:

332 planks (woot!)
147 dirt
4 coal
3 cobblestone
26 saplings
3 yellow flower
2 feathers
1 egg

62 torches
2 wood pickaxes

minecraft-diary-day2-3.png

UP NEXT: lots and lots of dirt moving. I'm going to remove dirt down to (probably) the level of my hut, and build up the areas that are below that level. This is (probably) going to represent digging up about ~1000 dirt blocks.

Javaman

Vorador said:
That's evil :lol :lol :lol

On other news, i don't completely get how water works. Tried to fill a small artificial lake for my house, but the water from the spring dry up after a few blocks. I guess i have to fill the entirety of the lake with water blocks...man what a pain.

You have to run it 1:7... One drop for every 6 or 7 in length. There's no way to evenly fill a large lake without lots of sources and those would generate strange currents.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Javaman said:
You have to run it 1:7... One drop for every 6 or 7 in length. There's no way to evenly fill a large lake without lots of sources and those would generate strange currents.
That is until they all fill in.

As anyone following this topic for a long time knows, I'm actually not a fan of the popular "build a hut and hide" night 1 tactic. I think it's a huge waste of time. Much better to wall yourself in somewhere, so you can at least spend the night mining, instead of twiddling your thumbs.

This is a common idea? I thought it was common since to just mine your first night after you get a little hut and hopefully a bit of coal. I mean, what else is there to do?

Also, why are you turning all your wood bricks into planks?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
To make water easier, make an infinite spring.

[][]
..[]

The two corners filled with water, and the middle block will be an infinite spring.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Stitch said:
is this the end of the world or something? can't destroy these blocks.

I don't know that texture pack of yours, but if you can't destroy it, yes, it's the end of the world, and that thing's called Adminium (or Bedrock).

Firehead

Stitch said:

Those are either obsidian or bedrock. I can't tell from the textures. If you can't destroy them with a diamond pickaxe, they're bedrock. That means you're near the very bottom of the map; be careful there, you can fall into the abyss.
Edit: Aha! I'm too slow. :)

Inkwell

Banned
Razorskin said:
Oh my god this just happened to me. I had just built my first actual planned building. I had to go up on the roof to add a waterfall I have for it. I get down and go through the door the marvel at my wonderful creation. I turn to my right just in time to notice a creeper walking toward me. The damn thing explodes, I have one heart left, my armor is completely destroyed, and water from my waterfall is gushing all over and filling up the whole the creeper left in my floor.

I had torches in the building, and I don't know how he got in. I'm just lucky the thing didn't kill me.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stitch said:

Hard to tell from your texture pack, but I think its Obsidian, a very hard rock. Takes a long time to mine though, and you get nothing unless mined with a diamond pick axe.

But it could be bedrock in your texture, then it would be the bottom of the world and by wary of gaps in it.

filipe

Razorskin said:
Can you setup a creative server for a few hours?

Currently out of the office. I go into work tomorrow at 8 and will test out a Creative Server at that point. If all checks out ok, will await SMP!

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
fff had to revert to a backup save.

Had a small pool of lava in the basement of my castle. The floor above the basement is made of wood. I walked in the door and nearly fell into my little lava pool.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh god, someone put this into the minecraft Wiki:
The latest patch added the behavior of lava burning adjacent wood. Since this had not been the behavior in previous patches many great halls had been built with the assumption that lava did not burn wood. When this patch was released several weeks of mining efforts burned to the ground without warning. This is griefing from Notch himself.
:lol

This is why I am so glad I don't have any lava or wood structures in my base.

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
Oh god, someone put this into the minecraft Wiki:

:lol

This is why I am so glad I don't have any lava or wood structures in my base.
Yeah, this is I suppose why people were terrified of him adding gravity to different block types, and why I'm afraid he will make torches start burning out or something (per what the wiki suggested was the plan?).

I have old versions of the world and program files backed up so I guess I could play offline with those, but it is scary even in alpha to know that your elaborate fortress could burn/crumble/turn to darkness when he does an update. :lol

Javaman

K2Valor said:
To make water easier, make an infinite spring.

[][]
..[]

The two corners filled with water, and the middle block will be an infinite spring.

Is that horizontal or vertical?

Blizzard said:
Yeah, this is I suppose why people were terrified of him adding gravity to different block types, and why I'm afraid he will make torches start burning out or something (per what the wiki suggested was the plan?).

I have old versions of the world and program files backed up so I guess I could play offline with those, but it is scary even in alpha to know that your elaborate fortress could burn/crumble/turn to darkness when he does an update. :lol

It would be hilarious/depressing to see the structural changes to a floating fortress once it crashes down and becomes one with the undulating terrain below. It would be like an earthquake hit. :lol

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
DMPrince said:
to use the furnace do i need a fire source or something?
Yes. Coal is the most efficient, but you can also use wood.

Put burning material in the bottom, and the other material (sand, ore, etc) on top

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:

I sort of hope he waits to turn torches into temporary things when he makes a major overhaul that breaks map compatibility. Or just changes all the torches into a perminate light source/doesn't fix the 'problem'

I did like the idea of the torches never going out all they way, just dimming to a burning cinder. That way we would still have some time to replace all the torches in our base if a torch lasted like 1 hour.

I also don't think we are going to get to realistic of gravity. Just "Blocks must touch other blocks" and "Obsidian can float". Though that means all the random flying land masses are going to just crash to earth.

Nothing will stand in our way. Our forts being burned down just gives us more stuff to do!

Is that horizontal or vertical?
Horizontal. All on the same Z axis.

Also, I tend to like doing

[ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ]

More, since then you can take out any single cube and the water fills back in. The other way you have to take the middle one out. Also only adds like 5 seconds of work on your part.

It would be hilarious/depressing to see the structural changes to a floating fortress once it crashes down and becomes one with the undulating terrain below. It would be like an earthquake hit.
I sort of wish it was possible to have random natural disasters. Tornado strikes, earthquake hits (Tons of ore to gather then!), meteor strikes.

Though with an option to turn them off of course. No one wants there glass tower to crash during an earthquake and there treasure room to fly out the back door to a tornado.

Orgun

Lol, I just realised i've been using a hoe to cut down trees :lol :lol

Has anyone found a way to rotate stair blocks? I've been searching the MC forums but i'm coming up empty.

Kuran

Banned
The update is up.. so how do we start a server/find out IP addresses of servers?

Hahahahha, I wonder if some of you guys' buildings will turn into a blazing inferno because of this lava fix.

Edit:

Minecraft Alpha 1.0.14
* Lava now sets stuff on fire
* Tried to make fire act better (need feedback)
* Extremely silly third person swinging animation
* You can enter the IP to a server now. The first, buggy server will be released tomorrow.
* Fixed the M.

Thank you everyone who emailed me about the stuttering, I will work on fixing that tomorrow as well while people are testing SMP. =)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I am thinking the whole time whether I need to start up minecraft offline the next time to replace some wood structures near lava. Not sure whether I build something like that.
What is about lava and earth?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Kuran said:
The update is up.. so how do we start a server/find out IP addresses of servers?

Hahahahha, I wonder if some of you guys' buildings will turn into a blazing inferno because of this lava fix.

Edit:

Minecraft Alpha 1.0.14
* Lava now sets stuff on fire
* Tried to make fire act better (need feedback)
* Extremely silly third person swinging animation
* You can enter the IP to a server now. The first, buggy server will be released tomorrow.
* Fixed the M.

Thank you everyone who emailed me about the stuttering, I will work on fixing that tomorrow as well while people are testing SMP. =)
From the minecraft boards:
ruinedhouse.png

burn.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhencX2v4FQ&feature=player_embedded

Find it odd the third guy didn't try to put it out, its not that hard to put out a fire.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Orgun said:
Lol, I just realised i've been using a hoe to cut down trees :lol :lol

Has anyone found a way to rotate stair blocks? I've been searching the MC forums but i'm coming up empty.

I've found the stairs usually turn in the proper direction if you just keep building the stairs like nothing is wrong. Though some of them are stubborn. Mostly just seem to latch onto the first block near them and assume that's the next step.

Blizzard

Banned
The other big thing for the multiplayer besides furnaces...he really needs to have time working, hopefully with day/night cycles, at the very least allowing trees to grow.

I wonder if he will leave the /iron (free iron) and /spew (free stairs) commands in?

Razorskin

----- ------
Blizzard said:
The other big thing for the multiplayer besides furnaces...he really needs to have time working, hopefully with day/night cycles, at the very least allowing trees to grow.

I wonder if he will leave the /iron (free iron) and /spew (free stairs) commands in?

We can just put all of our ores that need smelting in chests and wait....

Fuck

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Darn. Misunderstood by everybody. I meant that we need to remind everybody that the IP wont be given out. Only for pm. There is no GAF server yet.

And now please stop sending me pms about it =(

mrgone

This game is like a really sweet rollercoaster built inside of a spanking machine. I just found my first vein of redstone, then lost it all when I slipped through a crack into a river of lava.

Hey, in a slightly related note, is there an easier, safer way to build things in the sky? I've just been jump stacking a bunch of blocks, then attempting to slip blocks onto the side of the blocks I'm standing on without falling to my death.

Vinci

Danish
A damn creeper spawned in my maze and blew up a wall... which let lava flow in... which killed me and fucked up part of my maze.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

EDIT: That creeper vid is awesomely entertaining.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Three hours ago I picked a random tunnel in my mine and decided to follow it to its conclusion, ignoring side branches. Then I would work back on each branch until I had followed them to their conclusion, all the way back to start.

Yeaaaaaaah....that was three hours ago. I might need to rethink that strategy.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:

I thought trees did grow though, it wasn't based on day/night but just so much time passing, the problem they were having online was no dirt to plant them on.

Also, I would much rather have my furnace working then the free iron command.

GDJustin

Re: torches going out and no more floating blocks:

Notch has stated over and over that the only question he asks himself re: Minecraft features is "Is it fun?" If something ISN'T fun, even if it's already been coded and put in, he can & will remove it.

Torches going out is NOT fun. Unconnected blocks falling to the earth IS fun and makes mining more exciting, although obviously it fucks up pre-existing floating structures.

Point is, there will never be realism for the sake of realism. Torches will never be temporary just because that's how a real torch works.

So... I'm not too concerned about Torches. Although I would be shocked if floating blocks stayed in. Besides special magic blocks (like obsidian).

Blizzard

Banned
GDJustin said:

Notch has stated over and over that the only question he asks himself re: Minecraft features is "Is it fun?" If something ISN'T fun, even if it's already been coded and put in, he can & will remove it.

Torches going out is NOT fun. Unconnected blocks falling to the earth IS fun and makes mining more exciting, although obviously it fucks up pre-existing floating structures.

Point is, there will never be realism for the sake of realism. Torches will never be temporary just because that's how a real torch works.

So... I'm not too concerned about Torches. Although I would be shocked if floating blocks stayed in. Besides special magic blocks (like obsidian).
I would say that torches going out are not fun, but I would say that floating islands (already in the game) and neat floating towers/castles/structures are fun. You think it's fun if they fall. WHICH OF US GETS TO DECIDE WHICH IS FUN? :mad:

For instance, people who may have spent weeks mining and built wooden structures with unfortunately placed lava, whether you think they should have known better or not, lost the whole thing. Was that fun for you? Sure! Fun for them? Probably not. :p

GDJustin said:

IIRC, the talk was that temporary torches would be supplemented by a new permanent light source, like lanterns. I could see that happening.

He's aiming for fun, but he's also not afraid to make the game a little bit ruthless at times, and right now torches are pretty overpowered. Once you find your first coal, it's very likely that you will never run out of torches again, and I think Notch has said that the current torches are just one or two steps from being maximum brightness. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a fairly big nerf sometime down the line, and a more expensive permanent light source added.

The only circumstance in which I could see torches becoming temporary is if another permanent lighting item is brought in to replace them. (Although that does seem somewhat pointless)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Temporary torches sounds awesome! I'd love it to be an option in the menu to turn that off or on. That is, given that the ability to create a more expensive but permanent light source is in the game.

Joined Steam community + eagerly anticipating the server launch.
I've been lurking this thread for what feels like weeks, it convinced me to buy it last Thursday and I haven't looked back :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom