• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuran

Banned
What is the source for the floating blocks being removed? I never saw him mention that..

It will only be truely effective if he gives weight and mass to each element, so you would have to make sure if the beams can carry the weight...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Kuran said:
What is the source for the floating blocks being removed? I never saw him mention that..

It will only be truely effective if he gives weight and mass to each element, so you would have to make sure if the beams can carry the weight...
On the Todo list, importance level 3, at the bottom:
Investigate floating blocks falling to the ground
EngineNo Contextno date1 MediumReference
Perhaps all floating chunks of blocks should fall down, except for a special block (obsidian?) that can be used to make floating things. Floating islands would need obsidian veins to stay afloat.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Right, I mean, torches themselves might be made temporary. But what I was getting at is that there will always be a permanent light source. Because not having one wouldn't be fun.

The groundwork is already there, via Redstone. We're going to see a lot more done with it in the coming weeks/months imo. It's essentially electricity. Only right now it isn't sourced from anywhere. It just magically springs from nothing.

People will probably be able to construct windmills or water wheels, and then snake redstone "cable" through their complex's to keep it lit.

It will be a mindfuck for some people but I'm a veteran Dwarf Fortress player. Not concerned :D

Dragnet

From what I've gathered from mumblings:

Current Torches: Model will be replaced with Lanterns so the user doesn't have to go replace all their torches, Lanterns are infinite and brighter.

New Torches: Will run out and light will reduce to a dull red ember, similar to redstone torches.

Kuran

Banned
Dragnet said:

Current Torches: Model will be replaced with Lanterns so the user doesn't have to go replace all their torches, Lanterns are infinite and brighter.

New Torches: Will run out and light will reduce to a dull red ember, similar to redstone torches.

Perfect solution.

Razorskin

----- ------
The purchase numbers are increasing a bit again, probably people buying in anticipation of SMP instead of using a public account.

nataku

Dragnet said:

I'm curious to see how difficult lanterns would be to make, and if they're renewable (as in, you destroy it you get the lantern back, like torches).

IMO, torches should be something that you can hold in your offhand if he is going to make them temporary. It always bugged me that I had to place torches to light up a dark cave I'm mining. It'd be nice to have some light as I'm going in to set up lanterns.

Huggy

My torches will go out? And I bet lanterns take steel as well. Yeah, no more mining for me.

Creepers in the night, exchanging glances...

Anyone else having trouble using the Steam Overlay with Minecraft? Steam lists me as in a non-Steam game for a few seconds, then goes back to saying I'm just online, and the overlay stops working.

And Minecraft is a perfect example of why any PC is dead argument is just plain old stupid. As long as there are independent creative artists with a vision like Notch, PC gaming will be fine. Minecraft could never exist on a console with Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo at the helm. I have spent more time playing Minecraft in the last 48 hours than I have any of the major console games this year (apart from Warhawk). It's simply THAT good.

Myomoto

Kuran said:
Notch is making a fortune... he must be the luckiest developer in the world.

Keep in mind that around half of the income from sales go to taxes in Sweden. The dude is still making mad bank, but still considerably less than what it would initially seems like.

Dragnet said:

I would really like the addition of a carried torch. Walking around at night is a nightmare, no pun intended.

Myomoto said:
Keep in mind that around half of the income from sales go to taxes in Sweden. The dude is still making mad bank, but still considerably less than what it would initially seems like.

This explains the post Alpha price point then. Maybe I'll buy another for the girlfriend after it comes out of Alpha.

Philthy

Drkirby said:
He is like a PC developer back in the early 90's.

Could be Doom all over again if this explodes.

Myomoto said:

The cost of living is generally pretty low, so the taxes taking away a lot probably isn't much of a concern.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Whelp, took some time, but I finally filled up a natural pit outside my house and made a still water lake.
lake.png

Might want to change that corner on the left to make it more natural looking, I just wanted to preserve a dungeon over there.
I kept a small circular spot unfilled though. Gonna' mine down there, create a base within a circular waterfall or something.

Can't wait for multiplayer.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
filipe said:
Nice to see people finally saw Nessassin. Those 2 videos started me on my slow decline with MC lol.
Oh, that reminds me, what time zone are you in? You said the server you are going to use is at work, right? The online should be live at like 5AM EST.

filipe

Drkirby said:
Oh, that reminds me, what time zone are you in? You said the server you are going to use is at work, right? The online should be live at like 5AM EST.

I'm EST, go to work for 9. May take half hour to set up. If someone else wants to put something up just for this trial, do it up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
filipe said:
I'm EST, go to work for 9. May take half hour to set up. If someone else wants to put something up just for this trial, do it up.
Who knows, I am not staying up to 4 or 5 again tonight. I have work tommorw afternoon, I'll get up at like 8 and then wait for the server to live.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Progress report on my Nomad world.

Previous post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22657796&postcount=2381

Area explored since last post:
world-1-08-03-a.png

Link to full map:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3496710/craft/world-1-08-03-b.png

All and all, most of tonight in what I played was just getting more wood and coal, and trying to find a cave with a little bit of iron in it. I have corrected my path and started going north again, though I am not sure why there is that small area with nearly no light. Most likely when the game crashed on me it took that section with it.

So, does it detract to play in Peaceful? Or can you switch back into Normal mid game? Cause.. fucking creepers. I made my hovel, walk out in the morning sun, turn around and see 5 of them charging me from the top of the mountain.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheNiX said:
So, does it detract to play in Peaceful? Or can you switch back into Normal mid game? Cause.. fucking creepers. I made my hovel, walk out in the morning sun, turn around and see 5 of them charging me from the top of the mountain.
You can switch back mid game, but I keep it on my normal world.

ZZMitch

Coldsnap said:
Haahaa, I don't even know how this game works and that was funny.

Can someone explain how a creeper plays?

It is basically the ultimate enemy in MC... it doesn't make any noise when you are near it, it stays alive in daylight and it explodes when it gets too close to you after a second or so.

I'll be expecting GAF multiplayer servers to be up and running tomorrow!

And I'll be joining... and building.

It'll be buggy according to Notch's blog, but working. Looking forward to the big release!

ZZMitch

GAF... help me :(

When I opened minecraft today, the new update started downloading, but I got a Fatal Error... I just put on a texture skin, I dont know if that is causing it...

If I delete and redownload minecraft will I still have my maps?

Razorskin

----- ------
ZZMitch said:
GAF... help me :(

When I opened minecraft today, the new update started downloading, but I got a Fatal Error... I just put on a texture skin, I dont know if that is causing it...

If I delete and redownload minecraft will I love my maps?

Just delete the bin folder and launch minecraft, your maps will be fine.

ZZMitch

Razorskin said:
Just delete the bin folder and launch minecraft, your maps will be fine.

Worked like a charm, thanks!

Does this have to be done every time there is an update when you have a texture pack on?

Razorskin

----- ------
ZZMitch said:
Worked like a charm, thanks!

Does this have to be done every time there is an update when you have a texture pack on?

No, usually when an update happens it overwrites the textures putting it back to the default texture.

I could be able to host a server that is up about 14 hours a day, once I get my computer on Thursday. I've hosted Minecraft servers before and have been playing for almost a year, so I should know what I am doing, Also could someone link me to the Gaf/Minecraft steam group?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
New Update:

* Lava now sets stuff on fire
* Tried to make fire act better (need feedback)
* Extremely silly third person swinging animation
* You can enter the IP to a server now. The first, buggy server will be released tomorrow.
* Fixed the M.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Drkirby said:
Yeah, I use a track ball mouse so a mouse pad is sort of useless for me.

Thats what made me get the mousepad, actually. When I look at the bottom of my mouse it had all of this built up dirt. Sometimes it would get in the ball housing too and I had enough.
Bought the mousepad and switched to a mini optical mouse.

Razorskin

----- ------
Suikoguy said:
New Update:

* Lava now sets stuff on fire
* Tried to make fire act better (need feedback)
* Extremely silly third person swinging animation
* You can enter the IP to a server now. The first, buggy server will be released tomorrow.
* Fixed the M.

Not so new anymore though.

Setvan2734 said:
I could be able to host a server that is up about 14 hours a day, once I get my computer on Thursday. I've hosted Minecraft servers before and have been playing for almost a year, so I should know what I am doing, Also could someone link me to the Gaf/Minecraft steam group?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gafmc

OK....So i started on normal....I think im now scared of the dark.........found a nice hill, after spending three nights in a dirt box hiding from monsters
i put it on peaceful to get myself started. Since i have built a nice little base and and explored a huge underground cave system. going to do
a bit more mining and then put the monsters back on :p

Moonrise:
foqic4.png

Mmmm Lava....I use 3 torches to guide me to the exits:
27z9oat.jpg

My fort in progress....light towers at the top to guide me home. ladder access to the top of the cliff....the cave entrances are just behind me from this picture:
afd5bt.jpg

ZZMitch

I haver been using the saturated skin (and it is amazing)! But I have some weird issues with stuff I am holding... anyone got any fixes? Bottom right corner

javaw2010-08-0323-16-17-49.png

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
superbank said:
Thats what made me get the mousepad, actually. When I look at the bottom of my mouse it had all of this built up dirt. Sometimes it would get in the ball housing too and I had enough.
Bought the mousepad and switched to a mini optical mouse.
I don't think you are thinking of the right kind of mouse.
LogitechTrackball.jpg

Odd, didn't even know they made an ever older version of the mouse, mine has 2 extra buttons on it.

Sciz

Alright, two weeks of seeing large swathes of my friends list play this and a 50+ page thread can't be wrong. I'm in.

My local area seems to be an archipelago of sorts. I spent the first hour punching down trees, mining stone, beating cows and chickens to death, and slowly coming to grips with the crafting system. The second hour thus far has been spent mining my way through a seemingly endless cavern that branches at every turn. Waterfalls, lava lakes, good quantities of coal, iron, and redstone, some gold and diamonds, and minimal amounts of creeps, though I often hear them through the walls. I've no idea how to return to the surface, but failing some comically tragic mishap I'm supplied well enough that I ought to be able to.

Feels like some unholy combination of Dwarf Fortress and DOOM.

Dragnet

Man, fuck the decision to make lava burn stuff.

I come back from a little mining expedition, pushing my minecart back to my base and..wait what's that?

raget.png

OH SNAP

rage2.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
^ Oh damn, did your chests burn too?

Drkirby said:
I don't think you are thinking of the right kind of mouse.
LogitechTrackball.jpg

Odd, didn't even know they made an ever older version of the mouse, mine has 2 extra buttons on it.

Oh. I don't know if I could play with that. XD

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dragnet said:
Man, fuck the decision to make lava burn stuff.

I come back from a little mining expedition, pushing my minecart back to my base and..wait what's that?

raget.png

OH SNAP

rage2.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
This is why you make things out of stone.

Dragnet

Drkirby said:
This is why you making things out of stone.

But it looks ugly as shit. Also, this happens if the lava isn't even touching the wood. Notch needs to fix this shit. Hours of base building and collecting materials down the drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom