• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Sciz said:
welp

Found my way back out of the first big pit. Found my spawn point again after poking around for fifteen minutes or so, finally resorting to just building a boat and cruising the coastline until something looked familiar. Built a house, a greenhouse, a dock, walled off and lit my little peninsula. Went back out, got lost again, found another real pit, picked up a small fortune in diamonds and gold, got blown up at the bottom by a creeper. :(

Can't wait to do it all again! Going to try and generate a world with some actual landmarks this time.

Hey boys, we got another one!

I'm glad you gave it a shot Sciz.

Firehead said:
If anyone manages to get a server to work proper, would you mind if I posted it on the Steam group?
Edit: Got it working! I'll post the server on the Steam group.

It's a public group, so that may not be a good idea.

Whoops double post.

filipe

Currently it's security issues. I had this all set up ready to go with most of my security turned off JUST FOR NOW, and now I'm still running into issues.

besada

Banned
Wow, that's some buggy code. I appeared in the sky, plummeted to my death, respawned onto an island, dug a hole and got buried alive when the blocks I'd dug out mysteriously reappeared.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
besada said:
Wow, that's some buggy code. I appeared in the sky, plummeted to my death, respawned onto an island, dug a hole and got buried alive when the blocks I'd dug out mysteriously reappeared.

This shit is just continuously happening to me. Fuck knows how he managed it.

besada

Banned
Second server I joined works pretty well. I was able to harvest wood, plant trees, grade and area smooth and build structures.

I can already see the tragedy of the commons happening with trees. I had to walk a fair bit from spawn before I found any.

Cryect

I put up a copy of my map at druids.kicks-ass.net to mess with how servers work. Should be working fine as I've had a friend logged in.

Philthy

besada said:
I can already see the tragedy of the commons happening with trees. I had to walk a fair bit from spawn before I found any.

People will learn pretty fast that they will need to harvest the leaves and plant more. It shouldn't be much of an issue other than when a server goes live for the first time before people get stuff planted. It's just another of the 'things to do when you first begin'.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Played for about 30 minutes. Can already see some charm shining through, despite it being pretty rough around the edges

besada

Banned
Built a house out of earth, planted trees on top of it and led the grass to cover it. While I was inside, someone sealed my doorway. I came out and someone set me on fire.

When I left the 8 or 9 players on the server were working cooperatively (mostly) to mine iron to build bigger things, although one guy went off on a boat to see how big he could make the map in an attempt to introduce lag.

Hopefully we'll have a GAF server by the time I get home.

Razorskin

----- ------
TheNiX said:
I'm at work and my self control is waning. Stop showing me this stuff!

This is only going to get worse for me when my girlfriend gets hooked. I described it to her and she's excited to start building shit together. My life is over.

but it feels good man

besada

Banned
TheNiX said:
I'm at work and my self control is waning. Stop showing me this stuff!

This is only going to get worse for me when my girlfriend gets hooked. I described it to her and she's excited to start building shit together. My life is over.

I'm trying to get my wife hooked so I don't feel bad spending the entire evening in the writing room working on a mine while she sits lonely in the living room. Shouldn't be too hard as she's a fanatical Animal Crossing player. I once came home and found her placing a golden shovel in a room where every space was already occupied by a golden shovel, so she's got the crafting bug down.

I'm not on Steam so I can't join the steam group.

I actually have an older XP machine that I use exclusively as a server for music/video in my house, and it's on 24/7. I'm going to look into putting the server software on there. It's not like a blazing fast machine or anything, but it has 2 or 3GB of RAM and like a 1.6GHz processor. It was good enough to play WoW on decent settings with a somewhat decent framerate, so I would imagine it would be ok at this. I'll just have to install the latest java runtimes and the server software. I'll try it sometime this week or weekend. I don't know if that would be the best solution for a dedicated server, but I'll give it a shot.

For now I'm going to try to log into the server that has been posted.

Going to repost a question from earlier: How do natural lava flows work? I have one outside my base, but it seems to stop flowing out further even when I dig out a path.

Also, does lava ruin glass? Want to make a glass walkway beside a lava flow, but not sure given the recent patch if that's dangerous or not.

Blizzard

Banned
No furnace, no chests, and no inventory means no storing gold or making glass. Oh wells! If someone has a server by tonight I'll try to hop in briefly.

Razorskin

----- ------
TheNiX said:
Going to repost a question from earlier: How do natural lava flows work? I have one outside my base, but it seems to stop flowing out further even when I dig out a path.

Also, does lava ruin glass? Want to make a glass walkway beside a lava flow, but not sure given the recent patch if that's dangerous or not.

One lava spring only gives off a certain amount of lava, get more lava.

Lava doesn't burn glass, doesn't burn leaf blocks either. :lol

Blizzard said:
No furnace, no chests, and no inventory means no storing gold or making glass. Oh wells! If someone has a server by tonight I'll try to hop in briefly.

Just stack them on the ground until we can use them.

meh

Even though it's extremely buggy and there's some lag problems, it's still a lot of fun just exploring and creating in a world inhabited by others, can't wait until it's more stable and stuff works like furnaces, chests & doors.

Blizzard

Banned
Razorskin said:
Just stack them on the ground until we can use them.
We can stack sand, but can gold ore be stacked? (stupid question, I guess I haven't found any yet so it might just be placeable like normal blocks) Or wait, it can just be converted into a block? I guess some thing, like diamond weapons or flint would still be lost every time one logged out. Sounds like we should stick with iron weapons with the free iron command instead of losing expensive ones.

3 blocks sounds like a really long way for lava, by the way. I'll have to experiment and see if that 3 blocks includes diagonal distances as well. That means your wooden building could be on the other side of two stone walls and still set on fire?!

So I got the game, went mining for stuff. Found diamonds, rubies, gold and coal on my first run. What else is there to do in this game?

Build something! Go spelunking! Hunt for treasure!

If you're feeling really adventurous, bait some Creepers and see if you can outrun their fury.

2Crisis

Visualante said:
So I got the game, went mining for stuff. Found diamonds, rubies, gold and coal on my first run. What else is there to do in this game?

Build build build. Also kill (get killed by) creepers

ant_

Visualante said:
Start a few projects.

Projects meaning the following: Create a house! Create a river! Create an underground tunnel!

Anything you want!

Vinci

Danish
Visualante said:

I want to be your mining buddy. I've dug out a ridiculous amount of area in this game and have never found diamonds.

Vinci said:
I want to be your mining buddy. I've dug out a ridiculous amount of area in this game and have never found diamonds.
How are you digging? I literally just dig diagonally down, when I find ore I mine around it to see what else is there. When I found lava and water I started searching around the pools and I found plenty of stuff. I dug about a minute down (in speed run time) from a small cave in the mountain nearest to the spawn point. I guess I just got lucky.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Vinci said:

I think diamonds are exclusively near the very bottom of the map. Right before the unbreakable bottom blocks. (But be careful, you can fall through the map do your death).

Vinci

Danish
Visualante said:
How are you digging? I literally just dig diagonally down, when I find ore I mine around it to see what else is there. When I found lava and water I started searching around the pools and I found plenty of stuff. I dug about a minute down (in speed run time) from a small cave in the mountain nearest to the spawn point. I guess I just got lucky.

I'm a very systematic miner. I go down a certain number of spaces, then dig horizontally out, creating a grid-like pattern that allows me to canvas the entire area. This is one of the reasons why the whole maze concept occurred to me, I was naturally creating something similar anyway.

Suikoguy said:
I think diamonds are exclusively near the very bottom of the map. Right before the unbreakable bottom blocks. (But be careful, you can fall through the map do your death).

I've been near the bottom in several areas of my actual mine and haven't found any as of yet. That said, I'm sure they're there and I'll find them eventually - my priorities are just elsewhere at the moment.

ant_

Holy shit I nearly just shit my pants. I've discovered a HUGE cave system underground. Literally, probably the biggest cave system I've discovered. It has a shitload of different pathways and it's amazing to explore. I'm exploring a path, nervous as hell because I have loads of ore I've gotten from the cave and I'm getting greedy. I run out of torches, so I start heading back.

I see a deep hole, and it's lit.

"What's that?" I say to myself.

I look down the hole, its about 30 blocks straight down with a lava pit at the bottom. A little stone, but mostly lava.

"There's gotta be some diamonds down there." I greedily think.

So I start mining around the edges forming a crude staircase around the outer edge of the pit. Constantly throughout this I hear skeletons, spiders, etc but I'm used to it as it is an unexplored cave. I've lit most of the surrounding area so I'm not worried about any spawns near me.

As I am forming my staircase I am getting cocky and start going faster. This is when I mine out a section of a wall, that I probably shouldn't have mined out.

I'm at the edge of the pit, forming the corner to my staircase. When I mine out these blocks, instead of being another block behind it it is just a black space. With a white head jumping up and down. I mine the next block, not even noticing this, and a skeleton jumps up.

"HOLY FUCKING SHIT." I seriously scream outloud (home alone).

I fucking jumped in real life and in the game, and the skeleton pushed me off to fall down into the lava pit. Luckily I land on a smooth slab of stone instead of the lava. The skeleton starts shooting at me and I'm panicking. I really don't wanna lose all this ore down this deep. (It seriously takes 5-10 minutes to walk to where I am. That's how far my mine goes). Luckily the skeleton dives into the lava while shooting arrows and dies.

I am left with seriously 1/2 a heart left. So lucky. I close off the section where the skeleton came from and leave the mine to go home. Until next time.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Day 1
Day 2

In days 3 & 4 I continued leveling the land, and began elevating the four corner, where the mountain began to descend. When the leveling was complete, had dug up over 1000 dirt:

minecraft-diary-day3-2.png

Here you can see a another shot of the leveling in progress. The holes and uneven-ness in the middle are a result of more creeper... incidents. I shaved off that small highest-most level of stone, and then also took off the level below that, the stone mixed with dirt.

minecraft-diary-day3-1.png

Finally, the insane process of taking the rest of the sloping hill and build it UP to that level began. It ended up being a HUGE task (don't they always). I ended up using all 1000 dirt I had, when I was about 3/4 done. And that's just building up the floor level.

When comparing the two aerial views, pay close attention to the upper left and the bottom right. These two pics were snapped in the exact same place. You can see how much I had to build it up. Also, in the first shot, that pic was snapped right on the edge. But now, the level space extends back behind where I'm standing in that night shot.

minecraft-diary-day3-3.png

UP NEXT:

So far I've done no exploring my surroundings, have no mine, etc. I don't even have any stone to build. I'm probably going to go mine out all the exposed coal I mentioned in day 1, and figure out where I want my mining operation to me + how it will be accessed. This is something I always have trouble with.

I *want* them to be part of the same space: this is where I mine and where I live. But inevitably once I start mining, I then have a hard time incorporating those stairs and structures into my plan for my living space. Will try to do better this time and really think it through.

Cryect

Giard said:
Is there a way to use Cartograph on a server's map?

Sure just have to copy the world folder the server copies to your save folder. Same with moving single player games to a server.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Visualante said:
Awesome story, that's the kind of stuff I'm into. I don't really see the benefits of building stuff, but exploring's awesome.

Well there is no real motivation to go exploring if you are not using the stuff for anything. Would be useful collaborative in multiplayer though for players who only build and players who only search the mines.

Boonoo

So i'm trying to mess around with multiplayer by setting up a server. But I can't seem to connect to the one I'm starting up.

I should just have to type in myip:25565 right? Do I need to open any ports or something.

It just says

Failed to connect to the server
Connection refused: connect

Giard

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
It differs depending on OS, but in your Application Data folder in Documents and Settings as I recall.
Found it, if I connected to another server is it possible to use that server's world and put it in my saves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom