• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryect

Boonoo said:
So i'm trying to mess around with multiplayer by setting up a server. But I can't seem to connect to the one I'm starting up.

I should just have to type in myip:25565 right? Do I need to open any ports or something.

It just says

Failed to connect to the server
Connection refused: connect

Shouldn't have to specify the port if its just the default. You probably have a local firewall blocking the server from being accessible so will need to open 25565 then in it.

Cryect

Toma said:
Well there is no real motivation to go exploring if you are not using the stuff for anything. Would be useful collaborative in multiplayer though for players who only build and players who only search the mines.

Explore because you want to see? Will say the gathering component though adds a lot to the exploration.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I posted this a while ago, but that was when less people played. I figure it would be more appreciated now. (I didn't make the .gif)

e8c22.gif

:lol :lol :lol

Javaman

Boonoo said:
So i'm trying to mess around with multiplayer by setting up a server. But I can't seem to connect to the one I'm starting up.

I should just have to type in myip:25565 right? Do I need to open any ports or something.

It just says

Failed to connect to the server
Connection refused: connect

For people connecting externally you'll have to forward the relevant ports on your router or software firewall. When connecting to your own server you shouldn't have to do that since you're already on the same side of router. The software firewall might still be causing you a problem though.

I've been reading the thread for a bit but I'm still a bit confused as to how were gonna get the IP for the GAF server. Someone said they were gonna post it on steam groups but that strikes me as a bad idea :lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Lol just heard a conversation on the mp server:

Player 1: Woah. Look at this huge cave. Strange. Must be formed from the game
Player 2: Dont underestimate the Power of Gaf.
Player 1: I am only a Gaf member in spirit.
Player 2: Me too...But eh >_<

Already invaded by lurkers :lol

Also: I was being watched while creating my secret entrance ]:-|

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Freakinchair said:
I've been reading the thread for a bit but I'm still a bit confused as to how were gonna get the IP for the GAF server. Someone said they were gonna post it on steam groups but that strikes me as a bad idea :lol

Why don't we make a topic on the Multiplayer forum, and if anyone here asks for the IP, just point them over there.

I know there's trepidation over using that area as it's a ghost town, but that's IMO the best way to keep the IP secret to only GAF members.

And I'm pretty sure that it will be a lively thread over there regardless, given how big this game has gotten here.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Freakinchair said:

It is a bad idea but the server we are using is there for the moment. Someone might change that along the way. But at the moment this IP works and atleast I use it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Whoooa just discovered a pretty big bug that I'm 99% sure was just introduced & wasn't in previous versions.

If you have items in a workbench's 3x3 grid and then close the crafting interface, the items are permanently deleted. They're just gone... instantly. I just lost a stack of brick this way, and I've probably been losing other stuff here and there since last night. (I was wondering where my sticks went...)

Luckily it wasn't anything more valuable like a precious metal but still... I had plans for those bricks!

It happens instantly. Try it for yourself. Place a cobblestone in a workbench. Close the window. Go back, and the cobblestone is gone.

Upside: no need for lava incinerators for the time being?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
GDJustin said:
Whoooa just discovered a pretty big bug that I'm 99% sure was just introduced & wasn't in previous versions.

If you have items in a workbench's 3x3 grid and then close the crafting interface, the items are permanently deleted. They're just gone... instantly. I just lost a stack of brick this way, and I've probably been losing other stuff here and there since last night. (I was wondering where my sticks went...)

Luckily it wasn't anything more valuable like a precious metal but still... I had plans for those bricks!

It happens instantly. Try it for yourself. Place a cobblestone in a workbench. Close the window. Go back, and the cobblestone is gone.

Are you sure they don't just pop out into the world? In past versions if you close the crafting interface with anything in it, the items pop out of it into the world.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
GDJustin said:

Maybe they were supposed to show up as blocks in the world, but since those aren't always showing up on the MP server...

2Crisis

Toma said:
Lol just heard a conversation on the mp server:

Player 1: Woah. Look at this huge cave. Strange. Must be formed from the game
Player 2: Dont underestimate the Power of Gaf.
Player 3: I am only a Gaf member in spirit.
Player 4: Me too...But eh >_<

Already invaded by lurkers :lol

Also: I was being watched while creating my secret entrance ]:-|

That was me as player 1 :)

Me and another guy were trapped deep underground, we found a waterfall that we rode up for what must've been 5 minutes. then at the end it just dumped us into the bottom of the ocean :lol

ant_

The steamgroups server is so laggy :lol
I had to leave because I kept being teleported from the spawn to a lava pit :lol

ZZMitch

I am having some weird problems with the Cartographer program... when I try to render a map, it will usually not finish and the program will stop responding and if it does finish, I just get a little pop-up that says "Done," but no map is created :lol

Any ideas?

Firehead

Hm.. doesn't seem people are too pleased with me posting the server on the Steam group. Should I make the Steam group private? :/ I deleted the announcement; however, I believe some lurkers already have it and what-not.
Sorry :/

GDJustin

FlyinJ said:
Are you sure they don't just pop out into the world? In past versions if you close the crafting interface with anything in it, the items pop out of it into the world.

Dude, yes. I've played quite a bit of minecraft. I know they're supposed to pop out in the world like items tossed with "Q." They don't do that right now. That's the bug.

Brazil said:
Maybe they were supposed to show up as blocks in the world, but since those aren't always showing up on the MP server...

This is happening in single player. I suspect Notch was monkeying with the code to try and get MP item storage working and that's what caused the bug.

ant_

Firehead said:
Hm.. doesn't seem people are too pleased with me posting the server on the Steam group. Should I make the Steam group private? :/ I deleted the announcement; however, I believe some lurkers already have it and what-not.
I think making the steamgroup private would be a good idea. I don't have a problem with lurkers, but it just keeps it less crowded and more organized with only members

Toma

ZZMitch said:
I am having some weird problems with the Cartographer program... when I try to render a map, it will usually not finish and the program will stop responding and if it does finish, I just get a little pop-up that says "Done," but no map is created :lol

Any ideas?

It is being created. You should find it in the cartograph folder. normally. >_>

And yeah make that steam group private. But please for the sake of minegod send me the IP via PM as I dont have steam.

Dug and a load of sand fell on me, can't find my items. Are they crushed? I dug out everywhere around there for a day cycle. All mah diamonds are gone.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
K2Valor said:
I think making the steamgroup private would be a good idea. I don't have a problem with lurkers, but it just keeps it less crowded and more organized with only members

Seriously, why don't we just use the online forum here?

Inkwell

Banned
Did the behavior of sand change? I never really mined near sand, only harvested some for glass. Anyway, I was collecting sand for glass which was right by a smallish body of water. All of a sudden I fall through a hole and sand is falling in as well.

After nearly being crushed, I notice I've stumbled upon a small cave system. I see some iron too. Awesome. So I start mining it. Before I can even react after mining some ore, a ton of sand falls on me and I can't get out. I die.

Upon revisiting to get my stuff back, I see about a 10x10 area of sand just decided to cave in, and it was just under the center of this body of water, so there's all this water pouring in. As far as I know I have no clue why this happened.

Toma

FlyinJ said:

Yeah. At least for the IP Sharing. And for those who dont have steam >_<
Someone needs to create that thread.

Inkwell said:
Upon revisiting to get my stuff back, I see about a 10x10 area of sand just decided to cave in, and it was just under the center of this body of water, so there's all this water pouring in. As far as I know I have no clue why this happened.
Weird, this is the exact same situation. Did you get your stuff back?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I say change the server's port number, then start a new topic in the online forum with the new IP/port.

Inkwell

Banned
Visualante said:
Weird, this is the exact same situation. Did you get your stuff back?
Yeah I did. For whatever reason they were all at the edge of the cave-in area. It looked so different with all the water pouring in that I kept thinking I was in the wrong cave system though. I feel for you, because when I found my first dungeon I got pinned in a corner by a spider and died. When I got back there all of my things were just gone, including some of the rare things I got from one of the chests.

2Crisis

Left the server and rejoined, all my diamond tools went bye bye :(

Pretty productive morning doing work on firehead's server that most likely wont even be around next week :lol

built a huge tower, extended the strip mine and connected it to the main base with a sweet road. This game will be loads of fun once the MP gets fixed up and polished

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I agree. Someone should just create a thread in the Online section. Much easier.

And here are some screens from Firehead's server:

0293387001280946934.png

The world ends five meters away from me. :lol

0610291001280946934.png

Someone already took their time (I guess that's 2Crisis's tower).

0688446001280946934.png

And finally some guys.

Boonoo

Just had to open the port in my router. It was working pretty well; kind of a bummer you need the server operator standing by to give out iron etc.

Firehead

FlyinJ said:
I didn't say we couldn't. I was just using the group for my test server :) We can keep the official server (whenever we get one) to ourselves.
But yeah, I'll change the post number for now. We can continue to use it until someone else starts up a more stable server, if that's alright.
If needed, I'll send the world save to whomever starts the "official" server.

Firehead

Brazil said:
http://www.ps3brasil.com/arquivo/0610291001280946934.png[IMG]

Someone already took their time (I guess that's 2Crisis's tower).
[/QUOTE]
Heh, that'd be mine. Seems like someone added to it.

2Crisis

Firehead said:
Heh, that'd be mine. Seems like someone added to it.

Yep, I added like 5 levels to your tower. Needed some kind of landmark to know where I was at :)

Fell into your pit of lava like 20 times while building it too.

Also if anyone logged into the server before the restart. It was just endless hills of fire. EVERYTHING ON FIRE.
2n1gnso.jpg

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, the "test server" was posted on the steam group (which i'm not part of), and since the steam group was public, the server was removed.

So, how the hell do we find the server's address now? :D

Javaman

Firehead said:

Once the IP is out there it'll always be out there, but the server op could change and send us the port on the sly to add a little bit of difficulty if some troublemakers had already gotten his ip.

Toma

And if you find an IP please dont post it in this thread anymore.

GDJustin

Can someone please test in single player if workbenches eat their items? Just take a stone, put it in a workbench, then close the window. Does the item still pop out like it's supposed to, or does the game delete the item?

Razorskin

----- ------
GDJustin said:
Can someone please test in single player if workbenches eat their items? Just take a stone, put it in a workbench, then close the window. Does the item still pop out like it's supposed to, or does the game delete the item?

The items pop out for me.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Firehead said:
Made a new server. If you want the IP, please PM me on here or Steam.
I entered the group, but i have no idea who you are. :p I sent a message to the group owner, but no reply so far.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
GDJustin said:

Yeah, can't confirm your bug. Item just pops out like always for me. Tested in a previous world and a new world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom