• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkwell

Banned
I'm all for starting a thread in the online forum for all the multiplayer stuff. Considering you need to have an account here to view it, it seems perfectly suited for this. I think I understand that Firehead may not want the ip in the hands of too many people, but once we get an "official" server, I think it deserves a thread there.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Inkwell said:
I'm all for starting a thread in the online forum for all the multiplayer stuff. Considering you need to have an account here to view it, it seems perfectly suited for this. I think I understand that Firehead may not want the ip in the hands of too many people, but once we get an "official" server, I think it deserves a thread there.

Well its the same anyway. Everybody who wants the IP can ask him for it or look into that (nonexistent) thread. Doesnt matter that much. Only hassle for him to write that Ip a gazillion times.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Verdre said:
Yeah, can't confirm your bug. Item just pops out like always for me. Tested in a previous world and a new world.

Huh. Well now I'm doubly curious! It's happening in all my workbenches, but I don't really have time to troubleshoot.

At least it's not game-breaking, since I just have to remember to remove my items before closing the interface.

Okay I just bought the game (damn you, gaf :D ). I builded up a little house (thanks for the begginers guide in OP) and survived a few nights and explored the land on daytime. I set up a little field and my crop is growin, the game is awesome so far :)

But where do I find the better minerals? Iron, Gold, Diamond etc? Do I just have to dig deep holes?

edit: Getting Minecraft = getting promoted to Member status it seems :lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Tryckser said:
Okay I just bought the game (damn you, gaf :D ). I builded up a little house (thanks for the begginers guide in OP) and survived a few nights and explored the land on daytime. I set up a little field and my crop is growin, the game is awesome so far :)

But where do I find the better minerals? Iron, Gold, Diamond etc? Do I just have to dig deep holes?

edit: Getting Minecraft = getting promoted to Member status it seems :lol

Yup. You are a special Junior. Buying Minecraft makes you special and helps you to get rid of the junior tag.

filipe

The server is back up, but I think there's still security issues arising.

Shouldn't require the port.

Toma

Someone tell me how to chat please. I cant find it out.

GDJustin

Toma said:
Noooo now we have two of them.

Well, mine has content and server IPs....

fake edit: filipe I still couldn't connect to yours.

fake edit 2: How much would it cost to rent a "proper" server like people do for things like Team Fortress 2? If it's ~$20/month I don't really mind paying for it myself and setting up a ChipIn or something if people wanna help cover a put of the cost.

Vinci

Danish
Think I'll stick with single player till the multiplayer is more organized. I'd hate to start projects on a server only to abandon them later.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Vinci said:
Think I'll stick with single player till the multiplayer is more organized. I'd hate to start projects on a server only to abandon them later.

Same here, I knew it was not going to be pretty, but after reading about it it looks like it was pretty diasterous.

To make matters worse, the developer will be traveling most of the remainder of the month, meaning there likely won't be a solid multiplier client until September.

Toma

Suikoguy said:
Same here, I knew it was not going to be pretty, but after reading about it it looks like it was pretty diasterous.

To make matters worse, the developer will be traveling most of the remainder of the month, meaning there likely won't be a solid multiplier client until September.

Yeah we probably wont start collaborative projects. Its still fun to mess around in a world where others might create their own stuff.

GDJustin said:
fake edit 2: How much would it cost to rent a "proper" server like people do for things like Team Fortress 2? If it's ~$20/month I don't really mind paying for it myself and setting up a ChipIn or something if people wanna help cover a put of the cost.

Yeah, been trying to find out a cost to rent a server that would run this. Most places I've seen have specific servers or dedicated, which run about $150 a month.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, here's my wacky idea for multiplayer land zoning.

Have someone do a large exploration of the server's map. Put it through cartographer, then overlay a grid on it. Then hand out grid locations for people in the multiplayer forum.

Now, the tough part... someone has to go in and place signs at the corners of each land plot with the correct grid coordinates on it. Or, you could just set off on your own and claim the land yourself. If there are border disputes, another cartographer plot-out will show if people are overstepping their property lines.

Sounds like a game in and of itself!

besada

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Ok, here's my wacky idea for multiplayer land zoning.

Have someone do a large exploration of the server's map. Put it through cartographer, then overlay a grid on it. Then hand out grid locations for people in the multiplayer forum.

Now, the tough part... someone has to go in and place signs at the corners of each land plot with the correct grid coordinates on it. Or, you could just set off on your own and claim the land yourself. If there are border disputes, another cartographer plot-out will show if people are overstepping their property lines.

Sounds like a game in and of itself!

Or, see if you can get an island heavy map and just assign each new gaffer to a particular island. That would be super easy if they included the ability to reset respawn points (which they probably didn't, yet).

Ashodin

besada said:
Or, see if you can get an island heavy map and just assign each new gaffer to a particular island. That would be super easy if they included the ability to reset respawn points (which they probably didn't, yet).
Islands for each other would be awesome.

Can someone PM me the server? If it's not the same one on the Multi thread. Having troubles connecting.

GDJustin

The grid idea is good. Although I'm not really sure we need "private" space on the server.

But if we did do grids, they could be marked at the corners with posts. Then it's a pretty easy thing to go in and just make a straight line with cobblestone between posts. Just a bounderie marking.

Giard

Giard said:
Found it, if I connected to another server is it possible to use that server's world and put it in my saves?
No one answered, so reposting.
Wondering if you can use Cartograph for a server hosted by someone else.

Orgun

Noooooo, I spent almost all evening making a lighthouse and while I was building the top I fell, died in the water and when I returned all of my items/gear were gone :( most likely taken by the tide.

Ferrio

Banned
So, after a bit of dinking around on my group's server I've decided that it's way to early to do anything serious. BUT, it is fun to have the admin spawn tons of tools and stuff and dink around. We tnt'ed out a huge cave and flooded it, trying to make a raft ride.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Philthy said:
I'd say just build. If you see someone getting too close, make a huge wall and keep those immigrants out.

sp_god_damn_mongolians.jpg

Spl1nter

Just bought the game. Will check out the single player first and hop onto the GAF server in a few days. Excited to let my imagination loose.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Great Wall of Minecraft surrounding GAF Capital which contains Statue of GAF in addition to GAFfel tower

mrgone

Orgun said:
Noooooo, I spent almost all evening making a lighthouse and while I was building the top I fell, died in the water and when I returned all of my items/gear were gone :( most likely taken by the tide.

Is it possible to get your items back after you die? I havn't had a chance to check, as I've either not been able to find the place I died until much later, or died in a way that would render any attempt to retrieve my stuff doubly fatal :)

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Once the multiplayer starts forming up proper, I would like to like to see some sort of geocaching. Planting chests with little random things in them scattered across the land. Either leave the goodies as is, or take and replace something of yours. Also placing a sign nearby so whoever does find it can put their name on the list.

mrgone said:
Is it possible to get your items back after you die? I havn't had a chance to check, as I've either not been able to find the place I died until much later, or died in a way that would render any attempt to retrieve my stuff doubly fatal :)
You can, but the things you do drop have a time limit it seems before they disappear.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
On the minecraft multiplayer forum, some guy is accusing another member of pirating the game because he has the default skin. The accuser can't wrap his head around why anyone but someone who stole the game would use the default skin.

Ashodin

it seems the workbench bug is real - i had it happen to me - also, there is a problem with regular dropping now while your inventory is full - I have had a piece of wheat disappear on me :lol

GDJustin

I use the default skin because I've never once used third person. I've never seen myself.

I'll probably need to make a proper skin now that MP is coming together.

I do feel that MP was released too early, however. I think Notch felt pressured by the game's extreme success and felt pressured to stick to his own timeline.

I would have MUCH rather had him wait ~3 weeks to release MP until it, you know, worked. Now, the impact of MP Minecraft is diminished somewhat, because we're getting it in morsels. We can run around the world together, but can't really do much. In another couple weeks storage will work properly. And another couple after that enemies will be in, etc.

Yeah delays suck, but I don't think anyone would have blamed him for shifting his timeline back 3-4 weeks. It happens all the time. And then MP dropping would have felt amazing.

Razorskin

----- ------
FlyinJ said:
On the minecraft multiplayer forum, some guy is accusing another member of pirating the game because he has the default skin. The accuser can't wrap his head around why anyone but someone who stole the game would use the default skin.

:lol

A lot of kids and furries on that forum

Ashodin

GDJustin said:
I use the default skin because I've never once used third person. I've never seen myself.

I do feel that MP was released too early, however. I think Notch felt pressured by the game's extreme success and felt pressured to stick to his own timeline.

I would have MUCH rather had him wait ~3 weeks to release MP until it, you know, worked. Now, the impact of MP Minecraft is diminished somewhat, because we're getting it in morsels. We can run around the world together, but can't really do much. In another couple weeks storage will work properly. And another couple after that enemies will be in, etc.

Yeah delays suck, but I don't think anyone would have blamed him for shifting his timeline back 3-4 weeks. It happens all the time. And then MP dropping would have felt amazing.
Meh. I can wait - the game's singleplayer can keep me engrossed and with us tweaking the multiplayer as it drops it will be fun. I can understand wanting something full when it drops, but the tantalizing thing about the game is that you always want more, so a staggered MP release schedule is ideal (as well as his own style, anyway)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Inkwell said:
Are you partially suggesting we build the great wall of minecraft?
Now that is a great idea. If only notch added siege weapons and shit, you could have MineCraft Wars!

mrgone

n8BitMan said:
Once the multiplayer starts forming up proper, I would like to like to see some sort of geocaching. Planting chests with little random things in them scattered across the land. Either leave the goodies as is, or take and replace something of yours. Also placing a sign nearby so whoever does find it can put their name on the list.

You can, but the things you do drop have a time limit it seems before they disappear.

Nice :)

And geocaching would be amazing. We can literally bury treasure like filthy hoarding pirates in this game.

GDJustin said:

It still is a game in its Alpha version, there are a lot of things not working, also in Singleplayer. But he just release it anyway.

Stitch

Gold Member
Stitch said:
i wish i could find some diamonds. or a cool cave with lava and waterfalls :-/

oh my god i finally found a cave. i was digging and heard water. then i even heard lava. alright so after an hour trying to find these things i almost got hit by lava :lol

climbed up there and found this:

there's coal and diamonds and gold and other cool stuff. i love this game :)

So I fired up a dedicated server today. I figured I'd give it a test run. I'm signed in and the ports are forwarded. If you guys are interested in checking it out PM me. I am hoping that my boss will give me one of the old server machines we have at work and I will be able to use that as a dedicated server.

People are only allowed in via PM, so I would appreciate it if you would refrain from distributing the IP address.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Gonna wait until we get a lag-free server to really delve into SMP. Pretty erratic and unorganized right now, even in the GAF server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom