• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
SpacLock said:
Thanks guys.

Game keeps crashing on me.
Make sure you have your Java runtime updated, and try playing with fog on (press F a few times to change it around). Turn graphics to "fast" instead of "fancy" in options, it might help.

OatmealMu

FYI, I'm going to leave the server on all night and check the damage in the morning.

And on the subject of performance degredation, I noticed that my internet connection seems to get snappier as the server experience worsens. I had considered that the server was overloading my connection but it looks like the software is mostly at fault here.

Oh, and I just did a little experiment of the server. I had people drop items before restarting it. I got at least one report of the items remaining. It's a poor substitute for working chests, but it's something.

ZZMitch

Can't connect to either of the servers on the online section... are they down or what?

I haven't really been following the multiplayer developments as of yet, so sorry if this has already been addressed.

Giard

gahhh

Seems like you lose all your inventory when you disconnect from a mp server... :(

Hope Notch fixes at least these bugs sooner than later....
- Inventory gets erased when D/Ced
- Furnace, chests, doors don't work

No furnace...no iron...no good mining :/

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Giard said:
gahhh

Seems like you lose all your inventory when you disconnect from a mp server... :(

- Inventory gets erased when D/Ced
- Furnace, chests, doors don't work

No furnace...no iron...no good mining :/

Just type /iron to get 4 pieces of smelted iron in multi.

Blizzard

Banned
Giard said:
Yeah, and he mentioned some of those bugs on his blogs I think. He presumably felt pressured to stick to his own schedule so he released (and admitted) a super super buggy server before he went out of the country on trips for a week or two, or something like that.

I'm glad he's being as open as he is with the development process. We can always still play singleplayer until he gets the multiplayer fixed. He was basically like, everyone who wants me to wait until it's done, ignore these next few releases. :lol

Ashodin

here's a map of my world so far on world 1 - Holllllllllllly fuck i have digged underground like crazy, found some red clay stuff, some diamonds :D, and LAVA!

I keep coming up on opposite ends of the continent though, FUCK!

jpy2za.jpg

Sciz

2crmzbd.jpg

The great Treecastle stands strong, a shelter from both the storms raging above and the nightmares lurking beneath its mighty branches.

On that note, anyone know if it's possible to harvest ice blocks?

Frostburn

I stumbled upon a HUGE underground cave system, I've been exploring it for the better part of 8 hours and have a workshop setup halfway through it, only problem is this place is so huge and digging out bricks is yielding even more unexplored and dark paths that I've got lost and fell down a hole to my death, I can't find my body at ALL. I've tried marking off paths with a wood box and candle on top to mark an area I've already explored but I still can't find it.

I've saved my game and exited for the night now, does that make all my dropped items disappear that I never retrieved?

I'm having a TON of fun in this game, I'll start to post screen-shots tomorrow of what I've done so far including my humble house with lookout tower, tunnel from my home to my first cave, tunnel underground leading out to my boat dock and my dirt path that connects three islands (The map I have is amazing, I'll have to post shots from the lookout tower) and maybe do a video of the cave because it is so large. I've built bridges to cross water and lava and just keep finding more and more amazing tunnels and paths.

I am addicted to MineCraft and I like it!

kai3345

Banned
My friend and I explored a massive cave for at least 2 hours. when we reached the surface, we found we were in the ocean and we almost died when it flooded!

Once he implements the zombies thing this game is going to be about 10x funner

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Once NeoGAF got a working server, I am now SUPER excited for better working online. :D

So if an enemy catches on fire and then runs into a tree does the flame spread and the tree go up? because my house carved out of trees burned down and the only other explanation i can think of is that my lava-storage-quarantine wasnt quarantined enough. it was like 6 squares away from the last tree and encased in stone except for an opening on the face of the container pointing away from the house.

edit: it appears when i expanded the lava container i picked the wrong direction. was closer than i thought and hot enough to ignite the thing through the stone container. great. no the real question is do i move to a new tree area or reuse the existing glass skeleton thats left over....

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This game's development looks like an amazing story if nothing else.

One guy, graphics that are the definition of programmer art and...over 40k people have paid at least $10 for it? Pretty inspiring.

I need to try it out properly. I tried the freebie in-browser version and the stuff I was reading in the OP didn't seem to line up with that (e.g. I couldn't gather wood or stuff like that). I guess that's all in the alpha version?

Ashodin

gofreak said:
This game's development looks like an amazing story if nothing else.

One guy, graphics that are the definition of programmer art and...over 40k people have paid at least $10 for it? Pretty inspiring.

I need to try it out properly. I tried the freebie in-browser version and the stuff I was reading in the OP didn't seem to line up with that (e.g. I couldn't gather wood or stuff like that). I guess that's all in the alpha version?
Classic is WAAAAAAAY behind Alpha. Alpha is much more "Complete" as it were.

Fitz

Sciz said:
2crmzbd.jpg

The great Treecastle stands strong, a shelter from both the storms raging above and the nightmares lurking beneath its mighty branches.

On that note, anyone know if it's possible to harvest ice blocks?

Nah, only way to control Ice is to place the water in places it will freeze really. Really nice Castle btw, I've been really wanting to build a hilltop castle on a Winter level but I never get around to actually doing it.

ToxicAdam

gofreak said:
?

I haven't played one minute of this game, but I am just fascinated by the viral aspect of it's success.

It reminds me of the beginning days of Commander Keen back in the 90's.

epmode

Orgun said:
I think i'll be applying this 3D Dot Game Heroes texture style pack after work today.
This is by far my favorite reskin pack. It's nice to see that the guy continues to update it with each new patch.

SpacLock

GAF's Multi map is just amazing. I think I'll go around and take some screens when I get home for the people who still haven't taken the plunge.

OatmealMu

Server's been up for around 10 hours. When I went to bed, I was getting all sorts of error messages. Looking through the log, things have stabilized a bit. For the last reset, I added player count limits and a MOTD to the server file. Neither worked. Most options are still hardcoded.

Dragmire

The server has been running with less lag for me. Although, my game still keeps freezing and I lose all my stuff.

Here's a screenshot of the spiral tower and bridge I made on the SMP server.

nqbo6c.jpg

In single player, I make towers like this all over my map, connected by a sky minecart rail network so I can get around safely at night.

Ashodin

Dragmire said:
The server has been running with less lag for me. Although, my game still keeps freezing and I lose all my stuff.

Here's a screenshot of the spiral tower and bridge I made on the SMP server.

nqbo6c.jpg

In single player, I make towers like this all over my map, connected by a sky minecart rail network so I can get around safely at night.
One man civilization!

Coldsnap said:
You guys should post how many hours you have played next to your screenshots, i'm curious.

Is there any way to check that? Since 07/18 I have probably put in 80+ hours into the game. My favorite game of the past couple of years.

commissar

Just started playing singleplayer, the game has it's hooks into me already.
Though I'm currently unable to use the furnace. How would I set it on fire?

commissar said:

put coal or wood into the bottom part of it and add something to smelt in the top.

Ashodin

commissar said:
You need coal on the bottom part (or wood or what have you) and things up top will burn (cobblestone into stone, meat into cooked pork, sand into glass)

edit: fuckin beaten!

epmode

Item on top, fuel on bottom.

I'd suggest using nothing but coal for fuel since it's by far the most efficient. One piece of coal burns long enough for 8 smelts.

For example: Place 8 blocks of sand in the top portion then one piece of coal in the bottom. The coal is immediately consumed and the furnace will slowly make 8 pieces of glass.

You'll figure it out, it's not very complicated.

Inkwell

Banned
Tryckser said:
What tools do you use to capture videos in Minecraft? FRAPs 1.9 doesn't work for me.
I was actually wondering the same thing. I generally don't record videos, but I wouldn't mind recording some of my stuff to show it off here. I have the latest free fraps version, but I was wondering if there was any other free software for recording videos. With the free version you only get to record for 30 seconds and there's a fraps watermark at the top.

Alivor

I've only been playing for 2 days and just really started to get mining and finding stuff. I found a deposit of diamond, but couldn't find iron so I started to dig. Fell out of the bottom of the map and now I can't find my house.

Ashodin

Alivor said:
I've only been playing for 2 days and just really started to get mining and finding stuff. I found a deposit of diamond, but couldn't find iron so I started to dig. Fell out of the bottom of the map and now I can't find my house.
Use Cartograph, plant some torches above ground, and take a night shot of your game - it'll show you where you are currently (see my map above for an idea of what it's like)

Alivor

Maxrpg said:
Use Cartograph, plant some torches above ground, and take a night shot of your game - it'll show you where you are currently (see my map above for an idea of what it's like)
I've tried Cartograph, but it doesn't seem to work. I select my world and click Render but I don't see anything.

Orgun

Man, i'm really starting to become OCD about how I mine. The tunnels i dig MUST be AT LEAST 2 blocks wide and 3 blocks high, anything less and I get fidgety :) So finding natural tunnels for me is a nightmare, MUST MAKE THEM UNIFORM! :lol

I've applied the 3d dot game heroes texture pack and the only thing I dont like is how hard it is to tell the difference between Cobblestone and Stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom