• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eaten By A Grue said:
I did not really have any time to do anything tonight, but I popped in the server and I am pretty much blown away what has been accomplished in one day. I remember when the server started out and the first structure was a dinky stack of blocks with a torch on it so people would not get lost. Now it is like a full blown city. The crazy part is that only a fraction of the land has been used. Also who knows what the crazy mining that is going on under the ground.
:lol :D

Awakened

so5r9l.png

My "superior" contribution to Oatmeal's server for the night. I fell to my death at least 3 times making that.

Poetaster

Banned
Drkirby said:
Is Poestars name in Diamond?

Yeah. When fun mode was activated I was able to use the summon command to get diamonds. I'm building a giant snake/serpent head so I'm going to end up taking that part down.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Poetaster said:
Yeah. When fun mode was activated I was able to use the summon command to get diamonds. I'm building a giant snake/serpent head so I'm going to end up taking that part down.
Ohhh thats what you were building. I thought you were building a skyboat

sophora

Just got done playing in a nice SMP server, the owner imported his own SP map into his server which was ready for SMP, with borders mapped out and everything. I managed to get on his limited list of inhabitants and he just introduced me to my own plot of land to build my house in. I was kind of enamored watching the other players working on their own projects while we walked past.

Will probably start building my house there tomorrow. My little plot is actually set next to a nice cavern I could mine in. Can't wait to build my house and start helping expand this kingdom!

2Crisis

sophora said:
Just got done playing in a nice SMP server, the owner imported his own SP map into his server which was ready for SMP, with borders mapped out and everything. I managed to get on his limited list of inhabitants and he just introduced me to my own plot of land to build my house in. I was kind of enamored watching the other players working on their own projects while we walked past.

Will probably start building my house there tomorrow. My little plot is actually set next to a nice cavern I could mine in. Can't wait to build my house and start helping expand this kingdom!

Try getting in the GAF server when it's up, why be restricted to a little plot?!

ProfessorLobo said:
Did you get the materials with a script? I didn't think you could mine obsidian.
I believe you can mine Obsidian with a Diamond Pickaxe. I don't think Sponge is normally obtainable in Alpha Survival though.

Ferrio

Banned
ProfessorLobo said:
Did you get the materials with a script? I didn't think you could mine obsidian.

Yes I did, since the multi is so broken it's really the only way to get a materials. But yes, you can get obsidian normally, requires a diamond pickaxe and like 50 hits.

OatmealMu

I imported a singleplayer map into SMP. In order to test a new server mod, I sent everyone out into the wilderness. For reference, the walkway on the bridge is 3 squares wide.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2z5ipg7.png

And here's "Gafland" in all its' oblique glory... Well, part of its' oblique glory anyway.

2na0fhk.png

ZOMGPaperClips

Neo Member
FlyinJ said:
I like that the powered mine cart isn't too powerful. It can push you in a cart 1 square higher. And for every square higher you go, you have to have 2 flat squares to get enough momentum for the next 1 square grade change.

This makes building railroads extremely fun. It's like a first person Railroad Tycoon.

I've made some pretty impressive bridges and tunnels. It's also really interesting how you look at the terrain differently when trying to judge where you should be building the tracks.
DO you know of any way to accelerate the speed of the powered mine cart? I built a really long railway (640 yards in one direction) to open up new areas for exploration. It's a bit disappointing that the powered mine cart only moves me along at about walking speed. Was hoping it would be a faster form of transport.

2Crisis said:
Holy crap, Brandtsk's Dome tower looks like a Humongous satellite dish :lol

so much awesome stuff
It looks like the deathstar when viewing the pic on the iPhone.

Thank God this pic was posted I think I found where the entrance to my underwater tunnel is. I spent 20 minutes walking around with no luck finding it.

KiKaL

heh I still see my little tower on Oatmeals server. Glad to see it's still there. Curious to see what happen after I'm gone for a week.

This reminds me of the Isometric city.

Anyone know the best software to use for recording Minecraft? I've started a private server for me and a few friends, the idea is to take the mountain we're working on, bridge it to the mountains around it and then dig around the mountain to suspend it on a spire.

Also, any interest in a give away for a copy of Minecraft?

thefil

I swear to god, having Minecraft, Starcraft 2 and Dragon Quest IX become available to me in such a short period has been the worst part of my gamer life. I don't have nearly enough time to enjoy all of them, but I'm torturing myself by reading the Minecraft and DQIX threads. :(

I'm not gonna jump into multiplayer until I'm positive it will fully be the rewarding experience I'm envisioning it as. It's definitely not there yet.

Just jumped back into singleplayer after a week without updates. Why didn't anyone mention chickens? Or is that new today or something? Also, I went into my house to rest for the night and some REALLY pretty music played for a minute. It was awesome and just felt really cool the way it all fit together. Man I am so freaking excited every time this game makes progress.

sophora

2Crisis said:
Try getting in the GAF server when it's up, why be restricted to a little plot?!

I'll probably jump into the GAF server when mobs are implemented. It isn't that small, that's just to put my house lol, plus a 20x20 space is pretty big in my opinion. Probably will expand it at a later time since no other players are really near me. :p

cRIPticon

Just an FYI on the developer of Minecraft.

I got to know him through the JavaGaming.org forums that I founded back in 2001. Notch is one of the most prolific Java game developers I have ever met. If you have not sampled his previous work, you owe it to yourself to check it out:

4K Java Games:

Left4KDead
Mega4KMan
t4kns (4K RTS!)
Miners4K (Lemmings clone)

Others:
Blast Passage
Infinite Mario Brothers
Legend of the Chambered

And, of course...one of the creators of WURM Online

Minecraft is his greatest achievement yet and, when I actually had responsibility for the tech, Notch was an awesome advocate for Java game development.

Huge fan and really glad to see him have the success he deserves with Minecraft!

Wrekt

TheNiX said:
Also, any interest in a give away for a copy of Minecraft?
I would. The stuff you guys are building is awesome but I'm a little apprehensive to get started. My gaming budget is next to nothing so a free copy would go a long way to get me to dive in.

Blizzard

Banned
syllogism said:
I see the thread title is now less misleading; minecraft doesn't really resemble any of those three games
As pointed out by two or three people before...

Minecraft is like Roguelike games in that it has randomly generated maps.
Minecraft is like 3D Dot Game Heroes or whatever in that everything is made of blocky blocks.
Minecraft is like Dwarf Fortress in that you build a fortress full of stuff (and I guess Dwarf Fortress has farming, mobs, etc.? I haven't played it).

It just seems like the comparisons are fairly reasonable to me, but whatever man. Now no one will join our happy little thread anymore. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY.

Also, the OP of the official thread is banned, which seems like kind of a bad thing since it can't be updated unless we can find a mod.

*edit*
If copying saves takes a long time, try copying everything into a zip file and THEN copying that. The directory doesn't take much space overall but it has a TON of files. Alternately, are they all generated procedurally from some central files (level.dat)? I kinda doubt it but I don't know.

Cday

Banned
It has similarities with Dwarf Fortress but saying it's like Dwarf Fortress is meaningless to people who've never played it and misleading to people who have.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Aye it's much better with the thread title like this.
Think i might start a new map tonight... Or bust some multiplayer if it's going down.

Borman

So I made a waterfall surrounding my castle, and one of my trees was changing the flow of the water. Rather than cut the tree, I just lit it on fire. Unfortunately, when the tree was gone, I still heard burning, and my 4 or 5 story up tree sanctuary was on fire. How it was reached by the fire, I dont know, but it was sad.

Screenshot2010-08-04at84153PM.png

Lesson learned : Don't play with fire.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just in case you guys don't read the Online thread for SMP.

Couple things to keep in mind -

Fire slows down the server a lot. Try not to start fires, as they just spread. Be careful when using lava as well, because it can set trees on fire incredibly easily.

Exploring far out and generating new tiles also puts stress on the server.

So that Gafland picture above. Does Cartographer work with SMP? I asked the administrator of our server for a map but he said it doesn't work yet... or is there some special way to do it?

AwesomeDan said:
So that Gafland picture above. Does Cartographer work with SMP? I asked the administrator of our server for a map but he said it doesn't work yet... or is there some special way to do it?

The person who posted that picture is the Admin of the current GAF server, so I'd imagine it works. I think you need to copy the file to another folder to get it to work.

Vinci

Danish
Anyone know of a decent video-capture program for Mac similar to Fraps? I've finished about 1/5th of my maze and I thought, since it's taking such a long time to build, that I'd run through the early part of it and let you guys see a bit of what it's like design-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom