• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Orgun said:
Man, i'm really starting to become OCD about how I mine. The tunnels i dig MUST be AT LEAST 2 blocks wide and 3 blocks high, anything less and I get fidgety :) So finding natural tunnels for me is a nightmare, MUST MAKE THEM UNIFORM! :lol

I've applied the 3d dot game heroes texture pack and the only thing I dont like is how hard it is to tell the difference between Cobblestone and Stone.
Yeah any roof I make must be 3 blocks high at least. 2 blocks is way too claustrophobic

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I go for efficiency. 1x2 tunnels. No flattening of cave interiors as long as I can get around.

When I'm building something on the other hand, I over think things that don't even matter and I won't see.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I like that the powered mine cart isn't too powerful. It can push you in a cart 1 square higher. And for every square higher you go, you have to have 2 flat squares to get enough momentum for the next 1 square grade change.

This makes building railroads extremely fun. It's like a first person Railroad Tycoon.

I've made some pretty impressive bridges and tunnels. It's also really interesting how you look at the terrain differently when trying to judge where you should be building the tracks.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
After playing on the GAF SMP server last night, I had a few ideas.

What would be really cool is having some sort of "extreme survival" mode you could run a server in. Where you need to eat and grow food, otherwise you'll die. This would force people to really cooperate and create farms and livestock pens. It would begin to start playing like a first person A Tale From The Desert. It would also create a very interesting social experiment, analyzing how societies cope with such a dilemma.

It could also unfortunately create fertile ground (lol) for griefers as well... but still, I'd definitely want to try it out.

Ashodin

Posting that I will be starting to stream in just a few minutes from ustream what I am doing in singleplayer if people want to watch.

Blizzard

Banned
Livestock pens won't work since livestock presumably despawn when humans aren't nearby, unless that gets changed. Growing enough wheat for everyone can work as long as it gets harvested and replanted appropriately (I still haven't learned how to do it yet). Is there a way to get flowers to spread?

Also, there is a recipe for mushroom soup, and I don't think I've EVER seen a mushroom in the alpha yet, of either kind. Am I just not exploring watery caves enough?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Blizzard said:
Livestock pens won't work since livestock presumably despawn when humans aren't nearby, unless that gets changed. Growing enough wheat for everyone can work as long as it gets harvested and replanted appropriately (I still haven't learned how to do it yet). Is there a way to get flowers to spread?

Also, there is a recipe for mushroom soup, and I don't think I've EVER seen a mushroom in the alpha yet, of either kind. Am I just not exploring watery caves enough?

I actually collected a lot of mushrooms on the server last night. They generally grow under trees.

Blizzard said:

Hopefully he impliments some sort of livestock option though, it would be nice.

Ashodin

Blizzard said:

I found both the white dot mushrooms and the shiitake ones, can make mushroom soup now! :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
TheExecutive said:
Hopefully he impliments some sort of livestock option though, it would be nice.

Yeah, I was posting about features I'd like to see, not taking what exists now. Although, if farming and furnaces worked as they do in single player (crop growing was working last night in the farm enclosure I made, furnaces didn't), it would be tangible to accomplish using that alone.

Orgun

I'm absolutely gutted.

I found my first ever red stone (about 20) and then came across my first ever diamond (only 2) and then hit the motherlode of coal (about 34 total) ...to then slightly hit the lava, burn up and return to find I had everything except the red stone and coal :(

Oh well, time to dig on and find some more :D

edit: Oh yeah, I came by a large amount of purple squares that I couldn't damage. Is that the world bottom? Even though I can go lower around it.

KillerAJD

superbank said:
I go for efficiency. 1x2 tunnels. No flattening of cave interiors as long as I can get around.

When I'm building something on the other hand, I over think things that don't even matter and I won't see.
Ugh, I over think everything, lol. My mountain fortress wasn't that big not too long ago, but once I see a wall that looks off, or a ceiling that doesn't line up, I start moving shit around. Now I have about 4-5 "rooms" that I don't even remember where they are at because I covered them up when I was fixing another room :lol That's not fun when I'm making a lava-fall that goes right over one of those unoccupied rooms, lol.

scaffa

This game is great! Bought it a few days ago and enjoying it a lot. I really enjoy building underground passages and exploring the world. Some locations look awesome and it amazes me because it is random.

A funny thing tho is that whenever I go underground and just want to go to someplace else and not where my house is, I always return near my house again! I'm making mining shafts like crazy and going as low as I can..made a HUGE tunnel and said to myself "ok now its time to go up again".. I get above ground turn around and I see my house again :lol

I got lost once and was making huge pillars in the water by jumping and placing blocks under me so I could see in the distance. Playing attention to the clouds and sun/moon is also a great way to see where you are. But in the end I had to make a boat to explore the land faster and found my house again.

Last night I started testing something out with the cactie block because those blocks also hurt enemies. You can farm cactie quite easily, they grow fast and you only need one and when fully grown you have three blocks. You have to place them on the sand but you cant place them adjacent to another object (diagonal is not a problem). So I made a hole in the ground and filled that up with cactie and a watch tower in the middle. Even cattle is getting killed by the cactie and its quite fun to find some meat or leather on the floor :D So you could make a wall out of cactie to create some more safety around your house or entrance to something important.

edit: I really hope in the future we will get some more items that we could craft. I would like to see something like a rope to climb mountains or to go over a huge cliff.

And another thing that would be awesome are vehicles. The land is so big and imagine if it would be possible to make a small plane or something. In the future floating blocks aren't possible only if you use obsidian blocks to keep stuff afloat. Now what if you could make a furnace out of obsidian and that would act like an engine. Now depending on the amount of blocks that you use for the vehicle you have to use more furnaces. Maybe im crazy and it doesn't fit the game but I think it would be awesome. Making an air balloon or something and go exploring.

A few shots from Oatmeal's GAF server, can't believe how much crazy stuff there is there already - I didn't know where to begin (so I finished off someone's bridge, hope that was ok mysterious builder?);

java2010-08-0516-31-58-17.jpg

java2010-08-0516-32-54-11.jpg

java2010-08-0517-19-38-78.jpg

java2010-08-0517-20-28-24.jpg

java2010-08-0517-21-10-89.jpg

java2010-08-0517-19-53-05.jpg

And my small contribution, not sure what to do with it though :p Probably gonna build a tower on top.

java2010-08-0522-29-12-53.jpg

Ashodin

Streaming down while I fix some issues with the camera and quality of the stream, thanks all for your patience.

I might have to start restreaming later after work however.

Tremis

This man does his research.
noes! i got kicked from gaf server for idling. i got distracted making dinner and forgot to log out.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Excuse me sirs, how does one acquire access to the GAF server, by PM?
I want to see what sort of crazy shit is going on in there :D

besada

Banned
23s907c.jpg

This is where I'm hanging in my world right now. It's across the ocean and a ways from my home. The big gray thing in the center is a stair leading to a tunnel. Eventually the tunnel will exit on the other side of the hill to a gorgeous vista of hanging caves.

I have a fuck load of stone now.

Orgun

I just shifted over 1280 blocks of dirt for my castle location, that's barely a dent in what I need to move (until im satisfied). This is nuts hehe. :lol

edit: Some images.

Lots of dirt
thatsalotofdirt.png

I found a hole
Lookingdown.png

It's pretty deep
Hidingaway.png

Time to fortify
Fortificationbegins.png

A high view. You can see my, now covered, hole base
TowerofSand.png

scaffa

Made some pics, here's my house but im currently building another one. Don't like this one anymore.

minecraft-scn11.jpg

Cactietrap!
minecraft-scn13.jpg

Latest project, dont like how it turned out. So want to make another one. House will be easier to find now tho :D
minecraft-scn14.jpg

Mineshaft, next one is going to be bigger! The bottom is filled with lava. On the top is a glass layer and while taking the screenshot I smashed a glassblock and dropped in the lava :D Survived it! :lol
minecraft-scn08.jpg

minecraft-scn09.jpg

Dragmire

Went back to single player for a while because I kept freezing in multiplayer and losing all my stuff right after I gathered the things I needed.

So I went down a pretty deep mine I made and found World 8-4 from Super Mario Bros.

2j4x7jn.jpg

There was some iron ore in the ceiling so I had to go for it, very precariously of course. (It hasn't been the easiest to find for me.)

2qbgp5k.jpg

Luckily I happened upon four diamonds while down here. A big record for me considering I had only ever found three or so before that.

And regarding powered minecarts, all I know is that a steep incline several blocks high is too much for a powered minecart to push you. But I imagine just putting a couple flat spaces should fix it. I had an incline of probably five blocks that my minecart wouldn't push me up, and I ended up putting a lot more flat space than I probably needed, just for aesthetic reasons. Now it pushes me up quite easily.

OMG Aero

FlyinJ said:
Can you have a powered minecart push you uphill if you only have 1 flat track between each raise?
I was trying out a mine cart track in my game today as a way of going up a building instead of using stairs and found out that, while powered mine carts usually have trouble pushing another one up a ramp, if you put another cart between them (Like a storage cart) it will push the two carts uphill, although very slowly.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
OMG Aero said:
I was trying out a mine cart track in my game today as a way of going up a building instead of using stairs and found out that, while powered mine carts usually have trouble pushing another one up a ramp, if you put another cart between them (Like a storage cart) it will push the two carts uphill, although very slowly.

On my tracks, it seems to do fine with 2 flat before each 1 rise with just a powered cart in back and an unpowered with me in it in the front.

I'll experiment with 1:1 when I get home tonight.

Ferrio

Banned
So my friend created a script, whenever someone joins our multiplayer server it drops a ton of items down on the ground for them. Great solution until the server is worked on some more.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So I just discovered this game, and it is completely awesome.

Is there any basic beginners guide that can help me get started? Maybe something that tells you what you should probably do for the first 30 minutes or first hour or something? Or even just some general advice for beginners.

Thanks!

Zefah said:

Is there any basic beginners guide that can help me get started? Maybe something that tells you what you should probably do for the first 30 minutes or first hour or something? Or even just some general advice for beginners.

Thanks!

There's a quick-start guide in the OP and links to more comprehensive guides on the minecraft forum.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Zefah said:

Thanks!

Read the OP. I wrote up a beginners guide at the bottom.

Also, open the "crafting wiki" that's linked there and keep it open in your browser so you can easily reference it while playing.

|ync

I happened to notice that snow will cover doors and if the top of the door is the same level as other blocks snow covers the whole thing and you can’t tell where the door is anymore. I also noticed that walking over the top of door makes you fall to the bottom, add to that some pressure plates and a boat or two and I had some ideas for a trap!

I spent a long time experimenting in a non-snow world and then took it back to the snow world for the final construction. At that point I noticed that snow will cover a pressure plate and hide it the same as a door (leading to much simpler traps), but by then it was far too late so I continued construction of my monstrosity and am posting the result anyway :)

The basic premise is to create a 2x2 pit of doors with TNT at the bottom, then place boats that slightly overlap into the bottom of the pit and place pressure plates such that if any of the boats moved a plate gets pressed and the TNT goes off. The final version used extra plates that would trigger the trap if any of the boats were destroyed or if someone climbs into one of the boats (for what purpose I can’t imagine).

It ended up working pretty well and even if you get lucky and the trap doesn’t go off when you fall in it takes a bit of cunning to make it out of the pit alive (I came up with three ways that require various items from your inventory).

I did a video tour of the testing site that shows the different mechanisms and another demonstrating the trap in action.

4x Wooden Door
4x Wooden Boat
4x Redstone Torch
4x Stone Plate
12x Wooden Plate
20x Redstone Dust
32x TNT
32x Dirt
and 224x Furnaces were blown up in the making of this video.

Last look at the pit before it gets hidden by snow
boattriggerpitfall.jpg

It was a bit of a let down to discover that I could have just used hidden pressure plates, but I’m still strangely proud of my trap :) I have another trap idea I’m working on and should be posting that soon..

Looking forward to checking out the MP when I have some time!

Some seriously epic stuff on the GAF server - I love the city near the spawn;

java2010-08-0601-12-43-64.jpg

java2010-08-0601-12-37-40.jpg

java2010-08-0602-30-37-22.jpg

Also, I followed some markers and found this awesome Skull Island in the middle of nowhere - who made this one?

java2010-08-0601-15-42-07.jpg

And finally finished my castle;

java2010-08-0602-24-41-62.jpg

java2010-08-0602-25-33-31.jpg

Although the blocks aren't physics affected, that overhang doesn't look right - gonna have to add some form of support structure tomorrow.

Ashodin

besada said:
23s907c.jpg

This is where I'm hanging in my world right now. It's across the ocean and a ways from my home. The big gray thing in the center is a stair leading to a tunnel. Eventually the tunnel will exit on the other side of the hill to a gorgeous vista of hanging caves.

I have a fuck load of stone now.
Are you enjoying yourself so far?

besada

Banned
Maxrpg said:
Are you enjoying yourself so far?

Very much so. I haven't played a PC game for so long since Civ IV. I meant to just stop by that spot to do some mining, but I had a whim and started building a stairway through a mountain.

Fenror said:
How long do bans like that generally last?

Depends on the mod and the infraction. I am not even sure... Oh well, hopefully it isnt too long or someone can take over the OP. However, I dont think mods read this thread because the thread title hasnt changed!

was a blast to build some stuff with friends. Block land is overly complex now, the beta builds of this have some nice features. I like the idea of what will come to multiplayer and may revisit then.

Zombie castle defense is calling me

I did not really have any time to do anything tonight, but I popped in the server and I am pretty much blown away what has been accomplished in one day. I remember when the server started out and the first structure was a dinky stack of blocks with a torch on it so people would not get lost. Now it is like a full blown city. The crazy part is that only a fraction of the land has been used. Also who knows what the crazy mining that is going on under the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom