• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

Vinci said:
Anyone know of a decent video-capture program for Mac similar to Fraps? I've finished about 1/5th of my maze and I thought, since it's taking such a long time to build, that I'd run through the early part of it and let you guys see a bit of what it's like design-wise.
Couldn't you just use the screen cap thing that is built in on Mac?

Vinci

Danish
ZZMitch said:
Couldn't you just use the screen cap thing that is built in on Mac?

I don't know. Never used it before on this system. [I'm on my work computer.] I'll look around and see what I can find.

EDIT: iMovie appears to edit only already existing movies, and the other one I found is for webcams, not for images from the actual screen.

Did a search online and I'm only finding ones that I'd have to purchase. Might have to transfer this save to my home PC and use Fraps from there if an alternative can't be found.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
When I experimented with live streaming minecraft I used CamTwist. I'm on a mac.

It's a free program, is fairly lightweight (all these screencap programs run somewhat heavy... there is no way around it).

I think it was actually intended for screen recording and not livestreaming, but I've only used it for the latter.

Poetaster

Banned
Vinci said:
I don't know. Never used it before on this system. [I'm on my work computer.] I'll look around and see what I can find.

EDIT: iMovie appears to edit only already existing movies, and the other one I found is for webcams, not for images from the actual screen.

Did a search online and I'm only finding ones that I'd have to purchase. Might have to transfer this save to my home PC and use Fraps from there if an alternative can't be found.

If you are running 10.6 you can use quicktime to record your screen. Just open quicktime and under file you should see new screen recording.

Vinci

Danish
GDJustin said:
When I experimented with live streaming minecraft I used CamTwist. I'm on a mac.

It's a free program, is fairly lightweight (all these screencap programs run somewhat heavy... there is no way around it).

I think it was actually intended for screen recording and not livestreaming, but I've only used it for the latter.

I'm trying CamTwist now. I've selected the area I want it to record. How do I make it start recording?

EDIT: Thanks for the info, Poetaster, but I don't have that version.

HappyBivouac said:
I'm not gonna jump into multiplayer until I'm positive it will fully be the rewarding experience I'm envisioning it as. It's definitely not there yet.
I'm kinda feeling this way too. I played some SMP with a couple friends last night, and while it was fun, it still falls way short of single player or creative MP, and the current flaws are wide-sweeping enough to impact every facet of gameplay. Building, mining, crafting, exploring, and surviving (lol) are all really gimped or nonexistent in the game's current form.

I'm looking forward to playing a more feature-complete version in about a month or so, but I can't help but feel that Notch shouldn't have caved into the pressure to release it so early.

Blizzard said:
Alternately, are they all generated procedurally from some central files (level.dat)? I kinda doubt it but I don't know.
I don't think so... the maps are generated from a random seed as you explore during the game, but I'm pretty sure the save files are basically big arrays of the block layouts (maybe with some kind of compression on them).

That reminds me -- it would be cool if server admins could somehow force map generation to run during "off-hours" so it wouldn't eat server performance when players explore in-game. Maybe you could give it a max filesize cap, and let it generate as much of the map as it could fit within that space.

Philthy

Multiplayer is definitely fun as hell with 20 people, you can really see how awesome it is going to be when it's nearly caught up to the current single player mode. Right now it's kind of pointless to play since every server I've been on seems to reset the maps once a day, so you end up spending three hours building a huge castle and it's gone the next day. I'll be nice when it's stable enough to play on dedicated servers that doesn't reset for months and months on end.

Kuran

Banned
It would be good if we could have a 4 digit password (or key system? the keys could be physical in the inventory, and when dropped...) for the chests. That way you can still store private stuff on a public server.

Same goes for doors. Let us lock them!

OatmealMu

Gafland has some nice views.

351zu3s.png

Server mod has been updated with kits a MOTD. Type /help for commands.

Kuran said:
GAF server is too abstract for my taste... respect tho.

It's awesome, but yeah that's kind of how I feel. I'm probably gonna run a private server for myself and friends once SMP has caught up with the single player, and probably have people's home bases spaced out across the land. I like that better than a single huge "city" where everyone's buildings are just mashed together. That way if people wanna write words in the sky or whatever they can, but we won't end up with a giant cluster of stuff people have built with seemingly no design relationships or coherence.

Are there any monsters in multiplayer yet?

Inkwell

Banned
Kuran said:
I have a feeling once the online stuff is working much better and there is an official GAF server things will be a little bit more planned. I'm sure there will be some neat abstract projects though(I hope so). Right now the online stuff is still fresh and new, and people are just experimenting with various things.

Kuran said:

Multiplayer right now is nothing more than a glorified creative mode. I'm sure once the official servers are up people may be a bit more reserved in their design. Right now we don't have things like creepers to worry about, so everyone is just running wild.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, I'm back from a two day internet blackout. Any major changes to the game? Any improvements to multiplayer? I know he was going to be out of town, right?

Razorskin

----- ------
The_Technomancer said:
Alright, I'm back from a two day internet blackout. Any major changes to the game? Any improvements to multiplayer? I know he was going to be out of town, right?

No updates and don't expect any till tuesday at the earliest as far as updates are concerned.

I asked this in the online thread but I doubt it'll get any responses, maybe somebody else knows:

Happens when I try to make and join my own server.

java.net.socketexception: network is unreachable.

ZZMitch

Anyone else not getting any mobs of any kind on their single player maps?

For some reason this is happening on all my maps (maps that had mobs before)... weird.

mrgone

ZZMitch said:
Anyone else not getting any mobs of any kind on their single player maps?

For some reason this is happening on all my maps (maps that had mobs before)... weird.

Check your difficulty in the options menu, you might be set to peaceful mode

ZZMitch

mrgone said:
Check your difficulty in the options menu, you might be set to peaceful mode

I did, it is on normal.., I will try resetting it to peaceful and then back to normal to see if they come back or something.

Pinko Marx said:
Multiplayer right now is nothing more than a glorified creative mode. I'm sure once the official servers are up people may be a bit more reserved in their design. Right now we don't have things like creepers to worry about, so everyone is just running wild.
Yeah, although even in single player the enemies aren't really threatening enough to influence my buildings too much besides putting doors on things. I think things like glass, stone, and stairs will have more influence on people's designs.

ZZMitch

Well they randomly came back weird... maybe I was just in a place devoid of all life for a bit :lol

I changed the difficulty to peaceful for a bit and it is a lot easier to build stuff... I may stick with it until I am done building my bases.

I did use it to cheat a bit though... found a dungeon... changed the difficulty to peaceful... went in and took the treasure :D

Dragmire

ZZMitch said:
Well they randomly came back weird... maybe I was just in a place devoid of all life for a bit :lol

I changed the difficulty to peaceful for a bit and it is a lot easier to build stuff... I may stick with it until I am done building my bases.

I did use it to cheat a bit though... found a dungeon... changed the difficulty to peaceful... went in and took the treasure :D
I think there is some randomness to mob spawning, so even on difficulties other than peaceful you get droughts sometimes. I had one that seemed to last a few days in the game. But that was version 1.0.13 or something. Hasn't happened since.

Ashodin

holy fuck! I found a crazy ass cavern with TONS of enemies coming to kill my ass!

four skeletons, two creepers, zombies a-plenty, AND a spider. And this is BEFORE I explored it all! Methinks there's a dungeon down there.

Doodlebug

While editing a skin, after selecting a preset colour in my image editor, why is the apparent applied colour one from the skin's existing palette? e.g. I select a red to apply to the default skin which when applied looks like one of the browns already there. Is what I select not supported, causing a reversion to whichever supported colour values are nearest?

Never mind. Selected one from that site.

ZZMitch said:

I change it from normal to peaceful all the time. If I am carrying a lot of loot from a cave or something I refuse to lose it. I think the mobs are too strong in the game. I wouldnt change it but I am a chicken. :lol

ZZMitch

TheExecutive said:
I change it from normal to peaceful all the time. If I am carrying a lot of loot from a cave or something I refuse to lose it. I think the mobs are too strong in the game. I wouldnt change it but I am a chicken. :lol

This game can seriously be a horror game sometimes :lol

Stitch

Gold Member
I'm actually playing on peaceful for a few day now and don't really want to change it back :lol
stupid archer skeletons and creepers suck :(
on peaceful it's like animal crossing with more stuff to do :)

edit: well or maybe more like harvest moon ^^

Ashodin

ZZMitch said:
This game can seriously be a horror game sometimes :lol
fuck yeah it can. when I posted about those enemies after my ass, I was down to one and a half hearts, I heard spider noises all over, and zombie noises as well!

I really think I'm near a dungeon (I want to find one!)

Borman said:
Anyone try setting a server up on some private hosting? I've got a vds doing nothing
Maybe you should talk to Oatmeal and migrate the save from his server onto yours, that's if he can't sort out his server issues.

notsol337

marked forever
I've been playing on my friend's private server, and we've discovered how annoying redstone circuits are. A simple I/O switch will open an iron door in certain parts of the map, but in other parts the redstone dust refuses to carry the signal!

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
notsol337 said:
I've been playing on my friend's private server, and we've discovered how annoying redstone circuits are. A simple I/O switch will open an iron door in certain parts of the map, but in other parts the redstone dust refuses to carry the signal!
I think redstone can only travel 14 or so blocks

Finally learned how to place blocks out front of me without dying. Its all about taking it at angles. You cannot approach it walking forward, you have to go to the corner of the block and then walk at an angle. Works every time. It would be nice to be able to do it easier somehow.

Edit: Right after I posted this I fell to my death :lol

Borman said:
Anyone try setting a server up on some private hosting? I've got a vds doing nothing
I've set up a private server and it works fine. Sometimes the server is kinda busy because of lava or other stuff but I use the ServerLauncher Mod to have a whitelist for users and items. There are also toolkits to summon, cool stuff.

Download the Server files from minecraft.net and then use this: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1012&t=23127 (be sure to use the jar file and not the exe!)

BTW! You are not stuck @ IP-numbers. If you use some DynDNS service like I do you can use these as well. Works like a charm.

notsol337 said:

Speaking of redstone, can anyone tell me how to do some simple setups? I've seen that chart with all the boolean logic and stuff, but I know nothing of that shit.

Another question: can I destroy a chest and move it from one spot to another without having to take all my items out? I have a few chests I wanna move, but I don't want to lose the items in them.

The mobs really aren't too strong. The worst for me are skeletons and spiders for the ranged attack and movement speed. The rest are pretty easy to not get touched by. When you're going up against a room full of monsters just wear a full suit of iron armor or better, with an iron sword or better.

Last night I was exploring a cave and came upon this cool little area of intertwining rooms and short tunnels, and I swear I had to clear out 5 or 6 creepers, 3 skeletons, 2 spiders, 3 zombies and about a thousand slimes. It was tons of fun slowly sneaking around corners and just being tactical about it.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Pinko Marx said:
Another question: can I destroy a chest and move it from one spot to another without having to take all my items out? I have a few chests I wanna move, but I don't want to lose the items in them.

Nope. Destroy a chest and it spits all the items out

Loving this game so much, I've played this more over the last few days than starcraft 2 and Dragon Quest 9 :-D

Done a few single player games, got my snow world, and have created/deleted a few worlds until I have a cool one now with some huge hills everywhere that I'm starting to establish a pretty decent mine in.

Logged onto the multiplayer server, damn gaf, you've done a good job! I walked randomly for about 10 minutes, and I was still finding castles and mines :lol

Is the only way to get gunpowder to kill those green hopping baddies? How do you get it in multiplayer if there's no mobs?

Protip: Always carry a bucket of water with you, especially when mining deep.

I was mining a cave in single player, doing pretty well; had a nice haul of gold and iron. Then I hit a lava river and was trying to navigate my way around it until I missed a jump and caught myself on fire. I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to find a source of water that I had just passed a few minutes ago, but no luck.
I respawn at night, head to the home base to quickly craft some items to get me back to where I died and made a MAD DASH back to the cave.

Most intense minecraft experience I had. Creepers and skeletons were OUT that night. Shit was scary.

dejay

Banned
I found four diamonds in a dig and on my way back to camp I encountered a skeleton and zombie in my tunnels where none had ever been before. It was quite a shock and I wasn't ready for it. I only had one heart left after that encounter.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. I just lost a FUCKING MASSIVE haul of items. A goddamn skeleton popped out of nowhere and sniped me. Fuck I can't even remember which cave I was in now.

Finished off my waterfall tower;

java2010-08-0802-45-40-24.jpg

Now i'm working on this;

java2010-08-0802-43-27-53.jpg

Caesar III said:
Did someone try to use 3d glasses with this? Woah. So awesome. There
are some graphics issues with the clouds however.

Does it work with the standard red/blue 3d glasses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom