• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy FUCK this game hates me. Once again I lose another big ass haul of gold, iron, and redstone thanks to a GODDAMN SKELETON. FUCK I HATE SKELETONS. This time he wasn't even the one that killed me. I wind up falling into a lake of lava trying to strafe his arrows.

FUCK FUCK FUCK. I'm just gunna start a new world now.

Ashodin

Pinko Marx said:
Holy FUCK this game hates me. Once again I lose another big ass haul of gold, iron, and redstone thanks to a GODDAMN SKELETON. FUCK I HATE SKELETONS. This time he wasn't even the one that killed me. I wind up falling into a lake of lava trying to strafe his arrows.

FUCK FUCK FUCK. I'm just gunna start a new world now.
sucks dude. I kinda cheated and found a dungeon (cartograph lets you search for em), not gonna do that again, I'd rather discover them randomly. I'm actually considering doing a dr. kirby and walk to a new location and start anew.

Blizzard

Banned
Maxrpg said:
sucks dude. I kinda cheated and found a dungeon (cartograph lets you search for em), not gonna do that again, I'd rather discover them randomly. I'm actually considering doing a dr. kirby and walk to a new location and start anew.
Just bear in mind that unless you use an editor to move your spawn, it might work better to start a new world since you can build your base near the spawnpoint.

Playing this game on hard is intense. Anybody just stay out all night to go on a monster killer rampage? I did it one night after losing all my items. I just forged a sword and some armor and just stay out all night fucking everything up.

Inkwell

Banned
I wish you could craft something that would either:

A. Allow you to choose a new spawn point

or

B. Create a teleporter that you can place at the spawn to take you to your desired location

Just make it take a decent number of diamonds to build or something.

Inkwell said:
I wish you could craft something that would either:

A. Allow you to choose a new spawn point

or

B. Create a teleporter that you can place at the spawn to take you to your desired location

Just make it take a decent number of diamonds to build or something.

A most definitely. People have been suggesting this on the official forums as well. Its only a matter of time before Notch implements it.

Ashodin

Pinko Marx said:
A most definitely. People have been suggesting this on the official forums as well. Its only a matter of time before Notch implements it.
A teleporter to two points would be awesome and scary if enemies could walk through it too! :lol

Ferrio

Banned
Here's my latest work in progress on my group's multi server.

From the front
merrymine.jpg

Side view
merrymine2.jpg

On the deck
merrymine3.jpg

In the hold
merrymine4.jpg

View from the crowsnest
merrymine5.jpg

If you don't know, it's the Going Merry from One Piece

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
That looks pretty awful, to be honest. Reminds me of modding Morrowind in '05, when texture packs were so far ahead of custom models.

ZOMGPaperClips

Neo Member
HappyBivouac said:
The mobs really aren't too strong. The worst for me are skeletons and spiders for the ranged attack and movement speed. The rest are pretty easy to not get touched by.

Tell me this after an exploding dude pops up right behind you with no warning and detonates you, all your armor, and all your diamond equipment in one shot.

Inkwell

Banned
Lyphen said:
That looks pretty awful, to be honest. Reminds me of modding Morrowind in '05, when texture packs were so far ahead of custom models.
Pretty much this. The textures themselves look really nice, but it just doesn't fit the game at all.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
this must have already been posted, as its on the official blog, but it got a good lol out of me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14KwzYBjm-8

Misery loves company, so naturally I ruined my roommates life by hyping minecraft for a bit. He finally bought it a few days ago and I think he's gotten about 30 min of sleep in the last 72 hours :lol

this game, man, this game...

edit: actually a good protip i got from him was to place torches on the same side of the wall when caving to avoid getting lost.

So I finally decided to buy this and I've got the whole day off to get lost in it. :D

Any tips for a nub(aside from reading the OP), and where can I get texture packs and skins from?

Inkwell

Banned
MY GOD. SOMETIMES I HATE THIS GAME.

Ahem. Anyway, I started a new mine under my new home I built. I had been working on it little by little. I found some zombies and skeletons. I wanted to block one area off with dirt because I didn't want to get rushed from behind. While I was doing that A zombie came at me from the other direction and killed me. I got back there and got my items though and cleared it out.

Next, I stumble upon a HUGE cave system, with a very large room half filled with lava, half filled with water as a hub. The problem is that it's filled with enemies of every type. At first it was entertaining, because there was water flowing from a cave into lava, and about 5-10 enemies got stuck in the current and just went into the lava and died. I also had no trouble taking out a number of other enemies. That was before I fell into a hole and got cornered by 3 zombies and 3 creepers and died.

I went back with some healing items and a sword. I figured I could get my items and get out of there. That was until I realized the whole area filled back up with skeletons, spiders, and creepers. I had to go back and really restock myself.

I stocked up on weaponry and dirt, and went back. I killed everything I could find. Of course all my equipment, iron, gold, etc had disappeared. I worked my way around the hub to block off every cave I could find. I'll systematically explore everything. On the plus side, there's more than enough exposed gold and iron to make up the stuff I lost (as well as some diamonds).

Two things this game desperately needs:

1) A bed. Sleep in it to pass time and regenerate health. Of course you'd have to fall asleep in a safe area or else risk getting eaten before you wake up.

2) A compass that always points in the direction of spawn. Make it use redstone or something and the lower underground you go, the less accurate it is.

Also, I hate that I can't tab out and do other shit while I'm waiting for night to pass/shit to smelt.

Myomoto

Pinko Marx said:
Two things this game desperately needs:

1) A bed. Sleep in it to pass time and regenerate health. Of course you'd have to fall asleep in a safe area or else risk getting eaten before you wake up.

2) A compass that always points in the direction of spawn. Make it use redstone or something and the lower underground you go, the less accurate it is.

Also, I hate that I can't tab out and do other shit while I'm waiting for night to pass/shit to smelt.

Open your inventory. The game goes on while in your inventory, and you can minimize Minecraft.

DSK123

Neo Member
So I'm trying to host a smp server. I've hosted a creative server successfully before so I know the port is open (not to mention I've double check it). When people try to join they always get "unknown host" error. Anybody know how to fix this?

nataku

Anyone else constantly getting stuck in land lately? I'm getting stuck 3-5 times during the day when I'm trying to build stuff. It's at least easy to get out of it by reloading your save, but really annoying and it's almost killed me a few times when building things in the air because I end up falling through them to the ground when I reload my save.

Ashodin

A good idea for spelunking would be a shield - By itself, you right click to hold it up - however, if you craft a sword and a shield together, it will allow you to attack with the left mouse button, and block with the right. Currently, a sword does nothing when you right click, but having a shield would be sweet (and gameplay against enemies would be more fun!)

nataku

Yeah, it's down for me too. I was just trying to go there.

Since it's not working I'll just ask here. Can I only scoop up water in a bucket at the source? I can't seem to just go to a lake and scoop up a bucket of water.

Orgun

Powered minecart is just a minecart combined with a smelter.

Man I hit the motherload of coal just now, I went from having to scrounge wood to smelt, to having an excess of 200 + coal :lol

nataku said:
Yeah, it's down for me too. I was just trying to go there.

Since it's not working I'll just ask here. Can I only scoop up water in a bucket at the source? I can't seem to just go to a lake and scoop up a bucket of water.

Yeah source only, however get two buckets of water and you can create an infinte water source and never have to worry about it again.

Orgun said:
Powered minecart is just a minecart combined with a smelter.

Man I hit the motherload of coal just now, I went from having to scrounge wood to smelt, to having an excess of 200 + coal :lol

I got that but what is the combination? i built a minecart and a furnace but what is the order?

Blizzard

Banned
TheExecutive said:
I got that but what is the combination? i built a minecart and a furnace but what is the order?
Lucky for you, I still have the crafting wiki's tab open from when it was working earlier today!

You put
the minecart on the bottom, and the furnace in the middle.
Also, I didn't know you could also do a storage minecart. That seems pretty cool.
Minecart on bottom, storage chest in the middle to craft it.

I don't think it has to be bottom & middle as long as you have the pieces in the proper spaces relative to each other. You probably don't need a workbench as long as you have the parts already.

Blizzard said:
Lucky for you, I still have the crafting wiki's tab open from when it was working earlier today!

You put
the minecart on the bottom, and the furnace in the middle.
Also, I didn't know you could also do a storage minecart. That seems pretty cool.
Minecart on bottom, storage chest in the middle to craft it.

Weird. I have tried that. I have a built minecart on the bottom and a furnace directly above that.

Huggy

Lava is such a bitch to work with. Somehow it retains it's shape even when it's path has been altered.
Long story short, I flooded my mine that went straight down to bedrock with lava and I died in it after which my diamond items got incinerated.

But I got bored with it anyway. I'll be taking a break until it's more like an actual game.

nataku

Ugh, this getting stuck problem is infuriating. I'm getting stuck in the world as soon as I load up a save and even turn around in place. At this point I spend at least half my time reloading my save to get myself unstuck. It really limits what I can build during the day and makes building at night out of the question. The last thing I need to to get stuck trying to run from/kill a mob.

I might have to just drop this game for now and hope a later patch fixes it.

Blizzard

Banned
nataku said:
Ugh, this getting stuck problem is infuriating. I'm getting stuck in the world as soon as I load up a save and even turn around in place. At this point I spend at least half my time reloading my save to get myself unstuck. It really limits what I can build during the day and makes building at night out of the question. The last thing I need to to get stuck trying to run from/kill a mob.

If you're in a place where you load up and get stuck, zip up your level.dat and email it to markus at mojang.com, and you might get lucky. (I'd say to zip up the whole world folder but he -might- only need the level.dat file?)

Also, Notch is going to get back and find all the problems like local inventory have been fixed by fans. :p

Firehead

nataku said:

Change the spawn area with MCEdit.

nataku

Firehead said:
Change the spawn area with MCEdit.

No, the problem isn't me spawning in the world, it's just me running around or mining and getting "stuck" on nothing at all. I can still move the camera, mine, etc, I just can't actually move my character. I could even dig out all the blocks around me and just be stuck in the air, unable to move until I reload my save.

I was being pretty conservative with my 3-5 time during a single day cycle. It's happening at least 5-10 times. There are times where I load up and am stuck, then reload, move a block and get stuck again. The game is nearly unplayable like this.

I'll try emailing a save file to notch when it happens. Hopefully he loads my map up and runs around to see how bad it is.

Dragmire

I've been getting stuck during single-player too, but it isn't nearly at that high of a frequency. I just save, reload and everything is back to normal. Only happens on occassion, but sometimes when it happens, it happens a couple times in the same location.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
nataku said:

It's a glitched area. Once you move out of it, just block it off and don't go there anymore.

nataku

K2Valor said:
It's a glitched area. Once you move out of it, just block it off and don't go there anymore.

Easier said then done with it's half my known map so far and my great wall of minecraft I built goes straight though it.

Oh well, I guess.

nataku said:
Easier said then done with it's half my known map so far and my great wall of minecraft I built goes straight though it.

Oh well, I guess.

Hmm, how big is this wall you have made? Because I encountered the same issue after building two huge stone structures, one wall completely surrounding an island, and a huge pyramd 51x51 at the base. I've only had it a couple of times though but maybe that's the cause somehow. Maybe you could try backing up your save, blowing the wall up by editing in some TNT and see if it sorts it out. I would try but my save doesn't glitch regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom