• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Gaming Gamer said:
I just bought this game for my laptop and it is unplayable even on low, it doesn't have a video card but this game didn't that demanding.

Even with high fog? Is that what you mean by low? If you havent implemented fog yet press "f"

bistromathics said:
edit: actually a good protip i got from him was to place torches on the same side of the wall when caving to avoid getting lost.
This is a great idea. I saw it in a post on the Minecraft forums the other day and it's worked great for me so far. Another good idea is to mark passages that have been fully explored/mined with a torch on the floor, so you can avoid covering the same ground.

The Gaming Gamer said:
I just bought this game for my laptop and it is unplayable even on low, it doesn't have a video card but this game didn't that demanding.
The full version can be pretty rough on the CPU, especially when it's generating new terrain. Can your laptop handle the "classic" version?

Cryect

Multiplayer has been fun playing with my friends on my server.

Got some help from a friend to craft a ticker display I designed out. Basically its a 60 pixel display where the pixels slide from right to left. Each row has 40 bits that can be set for a total of 900 bits.

14dkkl4.jpg

View from Cartograph
ztdtue.png

Walking around the ticker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkjQAo77I6c

Ticker displaying NEOGAF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpYvD8GZ1sk

Ticker displaying MINECRAFT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDM2gwpE5oU

Dragmire

Cryect said:
Multiplayer has been fun playing with my friends on my server.

Got some help from a friend to craft a ticker display I designed out. Basically its a 60 pixel display where the pixels slide from right to left. Each row has 40 bits that can be set for a total of 900 bits.

http://i36.tinypic.com/14dkkl4.jpg[ /img]

View from Cartograph
[img]http://i34.tinypic.com/ztdtue.png[/ img]

Walking around the ticker
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkjQAo77I6c[/url]

Ticker displaying NEOGAF
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpYvD8GZ1sk[/url]

Ticker displaying MINECRAFT
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDM2gwpE5oU[/url][/QUOTE]
Wha... How is that even possible?

Cryect

Dragmire said:
Wha... How is that even possible?

Redstone happens to be turing complete and really is just normal electronic circuits.

Its basically two circuits connected together. One for memory and one for display.

8 bit memory logic for a ticker
8bitMemory.png

The basic display logic
delayTicker.png

Blizzard said:
Wow, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI6Wy3OJrUY&feature=related has an oscillator. Did you actually use redstone to do all that? (I assume with some custom skin to display the red blocks, or am I missing something) I hope Notch makes the redstone pattern laying less buggy in the future, since it seems it can do really cool stuff.

It's all redstone and yeah I'm using a custom skin to make it more visible where all I did was make red torches that are on solid red and off black. It's not really buggy once you know what your doing though it is annoying having to get a path straight to connect into a block.

Blizzard

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
Craziest shit I've seen in my life.
I think I saw one or two videos of something similar in Little Big Planet, where they made a giant clock or computer, maybe even using physics to operate it. It's neat when sandbox games let people do that much.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Blizzard said:
I think I saw one or two videos of something similar in Little Big Planet, where they made a giant clock or computer, maybe even using physics to operate it. It's neat when sandbox games let people do that much.

The Litte Big Calculator was the first thing to really blow people away in LBP. I was hoping something similar could happen in mincraft, and it has apparently. :D

I really don't understand those circuits though. In LBP I could create a few things simply and began to create complex things without help. But the redstone boolean circuits are too complicated. If notch created items that physically react to redstone besides the door, similar to LBP, that would be awesome and get more people involved.

EDIT: BTW, great job Cryect!

I've got work in 7ish hours and I can't stop playing.. been going strong for 2 hours now. :x

Just discovered that you can smelt something without having the box open, just stick in some coal + iron(or what have you) and go chop wood or something. Multi-tasking ftw!

Took me a few worlds to find a good one, but damn this one is awesome. So many caves and hills and waterfalls.

:fake edit:
FUCK YOU CREEPER, I alt-tabbed away from this window and see him hauling ass towards me, whewww so close.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
OgTheClever said:
http://www.justin.tv/michael_1985

:lol :lol :lol
This is the most hilarious Minecraft stream ever!
Absolutely fucking hilarious!

Quick recap of the first video:

- German accent, anime girls as desktop, has no clue how minecraft works
- Debates if he should buy minecraft for a while, somebody gives him the 5 euros to let him play
- Starts and noobs it up hard, doesn't understand why so many people are watching
- Sort of gets the hang of it after an hour
- Joins multi and experiences 1300 people watching/trying to join the server :lol

http://www.justin.tv/b/michael_1985/b/268068823

A must watch!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
superbank said:

- Debates if he should buy minecraft for a while, somebody gives him the 5 euros to let him play
- Starts and noobs it up hard, doesn't understand why so many people are watching
- Joins multi and experiences 1300 people watching/trying to join the server :lol

A must watch!
I skipped right to the start of online, oh god, I can't stop laughing.

Kritz

Banned
I've been hosting my own little AusGAF server, which at the moment is filled with rampant item spawning and blowing stuff up with tnt. Which is fine because smelting doesn't seem to work, which hampers any actual work we'd put in to mining or resource gathering. For now it's just a bunch of fun building awesome houses and walkways and stuff.

But on that note, does anyone know anything about a server mod that I could use to allow players to spawn items for themselves? I was linked it a while ago but completely forgot to bookmark it. Also has other handy stuff like the ability to teleport.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Kritz said:
I've been hosting my own little AusGAF server, which at the moment is filled with rampant item spawning and blowing stuff up with tnt. Which is fine because smelting doesn't seem to work, which hampers any actual work we'd put in to mining or resource gathering. For now it's just a bunch of fun building awesome houses and walkways and stuff.

But on that note, does anyone know anything about a server mod that I could use to allow players to spawn items for themselves? I was linked it a while ago but completely forgot to bookmark it. Also has other handy stuff like the ability to teleport.
This may be a mod also, but Oatmeal just added this to his post about his Server:
2hekr42.jpg

I am guessing using th Furnace like this is an easter egg, and just happens to work.

I have to put it down, fuck I'm going to be tired tomorrow; 10 hour shift ftl. I so wanted to finish this, but it'll have to wait.

fz34k.jpg

<3 infinite water sources

Kritz

Banned
Drkirby said:
This may be a mod also, but Oatmeal just added this to his post about his Server:

I am guessing using th Furnace like this is an easter egg, and just happens to work.

We've been able to light the furnace on fire but anything we put into it disappears forever if we exit out.

Tbh it's just as fun spamming wood and stone so everyone has 500 of each and just letting everyone go on to their own devices. It's less rewarding in the end, but it makes the game slightly less tedious (which makes it harder for us to play when we're all working ass men).

Ferrio

Banned
Well my group will be running 2 servers when multi is in working order. One (the current) will be the cheat server (friends wrote a ton of scripts to give you items if you ask etc), the other will be the real server where you must collect everything yourself.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'd like an actual official GAF Survival Multiplayer server, and another where you can just build without worry of mobs. Whether the latter is SMP on Peaceful or just old Creative MineCraft doesn't really matter; as long as there's a server we can all go on and do stuff.

Kritz said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22721130&postcount=3040

I've also integrated a simple backup routine to backup the world every time the server gets started. (it creates a random folder and copies the world in it enirely, and it's only a batch file)

superbank said:

A must watch!
I just wanted to jump in to see the shit and now I cannot stop because he is so dumb lol. Can't stop laughing.

"aaaah scheiße" :lol :lol

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Wasn't really sure what to do with myself at the moment. So i got INVedit and gave my guy fuckloads of TNT and blew massive craters. That was entertaining.

Also used it to give myself loads of rails and start experimenting with rollercoasters. Think i'm gonna be deleting all my worlds though, except my sandcastle, which still needs a screenshot.

superbank said:

A must watch!
Great, I only started watching from when he was building the house onwards, I didn't know the story of how he ended up playing in the first place. It was just crazy when he joined servers to have 8 connections per second after him (there were around 1400 viewers at one point). The bit where I completely lost it was when he went into that underwater lava area, only for people to remove the glass around him and he eventually escaped by digging a hole in the ceiling and swimming upwards.

BTW, anyone watching it just needs to skip to 57 minutes to see one of the best moments.

"WTF is thi.....AAAHHHHHH"

Metal Gear?! said:
So are there no monsters/nights/survival in Survival MultiPlayer?
There will be in a few weeks.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
OgTheClever said:
Great, I only started watching from when he was building the house onwards, I didn't know the story of how he ended up playing in the first place. It was just crazy when he joined servers to have 8 connections per second after him (there were around 1400 viewers at one point). The bit where I completely lost it was when he went into that underwater lava area, only for people to remove the glass around him and he eventually escaped by digging a hole in the ceiling and swimming upwards.
:lol

"WE'VE COMBINED POWERS! WE DID IT!"

Caesar III said:
Oh my! My first thought was "What a cool Creeper GIF"

:(
It's just a random avatar from the IT Crowd, I'll probably change it soon to something Minecraft related. Or maybe I could edit this one to have the face of a creeper? (problem is that the only way I know how to do that is painstakingly frame by frame in something like Gimp)

N-Bomb

My skyscraper is taking shape nicely~ I'm going to see how tall I can make this. Will have lots of creeper-free office space when it's done! Also underground parking. :D

1vcg2O.Skyscraper.jpg

commissar

After going slightly overboard building my house I decided it was finally time to search for a dungeon.
First one was a tiny one where I went underground, turned right and there was a spider spawner.
Got two saddles and was able to ride a pig. Awesome.

The second one (I am currently in) goes strainght down in a waterfall before it starts and so far I've spent over two hours exploring.
I've been trying to do it systematically and have already blocked off 5 or 6 big areas to avoid monsters/explore later.
It's like I've opened pandoras box, it's so huge I'm getting framedrops D:

Inkwell

Banned
sw33tclyde said:
I remember reading you can find loot in dungeons, what kind? Is it in chests or is it just gold/diamonds to be mined?
They're in chests. It's a mix of different types of items. It can include something rare like saddles or records. I've read you can find apples too. I've mainly found bread, iron, and buckets. I had found a saddle, but I died and it disappeared.

As a side note, dungeons are also partly comprised of mossy cobblestone. It's a neat building material you can't find anywhere else or create for the time being, so I would take all you can find.

Inkwell said:
As a side note, dungeons are also partly comprised of mossy cobblestone. It's a neat building material you can't find anywhere else or create for the time being, so I would take all you can find.
It would be cool if the moss could grow onto adjacent cobblestone and then maybe you could burn it off with fire.

PartTimeNinja09

Neo Member
Bought this game a couple days ago. Haven't really stopped playing since. Holy shit, this game is amazing.

Creepers piss me off, though. Had this nice base... only to have it destroyed.

btw is there a way to adjust the field of view and the hud? I don't like it that big (This is no console but a PC) but I want to play full screen. Right now I resize the window to have max width but the height is fixed to right under the switch to the next auto-adjustment of the hud.

Philthy

I was on a server that had 30 people on it all weekend.

I am really amazed how well this basic no frills multiplayer is working. I was expecting server crashes several times per hour, worlds getting corrupt left and right, people disappearing or becoming ghosts. The server I was on has been hard at work creating, and the world is amazing. For miles you can wonder and see every type of castle, pyramid, tower, phallus, swear word mountains, huge brick boats, etc..

I can't wait until creepers begin to roam the world and infesting everyones creations. Hunting parties will be formed, repairs will need to be made, it'll be awesome.

I really didn't see many monsters surrounding my home when I first started playing but now I'm getting swarms of them every night for some reason. Have to be quite careful leaving in the morning, theres always a few creepers lurking around. Good thing arrows are easier to make now.

OgTheClever said:
It would be cool if the moss could grow onto adjacent cobblestone and then maybe you could burn it off with fire.

I hope this is implemented. Also, I hear mossy cobblestone is largely creeper-proof.

ZZMitch

So are saddles of any use right now? Or can you just ride pigs for a bit?

I have two and i don't want to waste them incase horses or something are added latter! :D

On a related note I was surprised to find that dungeons are still created even when you play in peaceful mode... I have found two already :lol

Orgun

Another image, you can see my "completed" castle and my wall of Cacti. :) I'm not too happy with how the castle turned out but 'eh. I'll try to take a better picture of the inside later on.

Zekingdom.png

N-Bomb

ZZMitch said:
On a related note I was surprised to find that dungeons are still created even when you play in peaceful mode... I have found two already :lol

Is there some fool-proof way to find dungeons or gold/diamonds without using an external app? :\

ZZMitch

N-Bomb said:
Is there some fool-proof way to find dungeons or gold/diamonds without using an external app? :\

I stumbled upon one right by a place where I was building a house (it was in a small cave), I found another one exploring a huge cave system I found. I noticed both because I saw there was cobblestone in places where I had not placed it and where there was no lava and water to form it.

Inkwell

Banned
Whats the most diamonds you guys have found together in one group? I'm finding quite a lot of them in my new mine. Before, the most I found together was 4. I just found 8 of them together, making about 13 total today.

N-Bomb said:

I'm not sure about fool-proof, but here's some tips. First, you want to explore large cave systems. If your cave system has plenty of lava or lava near by, you have a much higher chance of finding diamonds. I've also found all of my dungeons by exploring cave systems. Also listen for enemy noises behind walls. They indicate either another tunnel or a dungeon. The more caves/tunnels you explore, the more open faces of rock, which means a much easier chance of spotting diamonds, iron, and gold. Recently when exploring caves I also dig through any dirt I find and limit my tunneling through rock. There's almost always something hidden somewhere underneath that dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom