• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just starting to play around with this.

I've decided to try and build a round tower. My first plan is working out to be quite laborious however. I have a quite larger circular island now, but this is hard work :lol

Maxrpg said:
holy shit, notch just linked from his blog a portal mod for minecraft, holy shit!

I can only imagine the types of mods people will make for this. THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!
18.jpg

Dubb post, but can anyone tell me the item that I need for paintings. I looked in the wiki, but I can't tell what item that is in the middle. A cloth block? I tried that and I get nothing.

Ashodin

Pinko Marx said:
Dubb post, but can anyone tell me the item that I need for paintings. I looked in the wiki, but I can't tell what item that is in the middle. A cloth block? I tried that and I get nothing.
It is a cloth block. That's what I've used and it works.

Inkwell

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
It is a cloth block. From the wiki:

Paintings in Minecraft are simple, low-resolution versions of a canvas. In /indev/ they are made with woodplank blocks and sheep wool, while in /game/ you use wooden sticks instead of the blocks. All the nineteen current canvases are by Kristoffer Zetterstrand and are shrunken to a low resolution to fit Minecraft's graphical theme; a random image from among these is chosen each time a painting is placed. Paintings currently are not flammable, nor do they stop light or players from passing through if blocks behind them are removed after their placement. Paintings can only be placed on flat, vertical surfaces.

Edit:Beaten by Maxrpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
My round tower, from the highest pillar I could make:

2he8sj8.png

View from the bottom, from the back. You can climb those pillars, but need to be careful on the way back down I have had a couple of 'suicides' :lol

11a9vfr.png

The pillars are a statement of intent. One day I'll get all the walls that high! :lol

edit - :eek: You can make glass? I want my tower to be entirely glass now...

You guys are making my lil hilltop house look like it was built by someone with no hands. I'm put to shame. I'll take some pics of it as soon as its day time and I get all these creepers away from me.

Orgun

God DAMN! I've recently started to venture out more at night and fuck this game is scarier than anything i've played before (record previously held by Condemned). It's not the creepers that scare me so much as the skeletons sneaking up out of no where and then a really loud THWANG. Makes me jump everytime. Phew.

I would like to join the Minecraft server. I was part of the Steam group on day one but I misplaced the server info (deleted notepad file). Please can someone send me a PM with the IP.

ashbash159 said:
I would like to join the Minecraft server. I was part of the Steam group on day one but I misplaced the server info (deleted notepad file). Please can someone send me a PM with the IP.

Check the thread in the online section, dude.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Re: skeletons - I was in my house at night taunting the skeleton out loud (my wife was making fun of me): "Haha, fuck you skeleton it will be daylight soon."

The fucker shot me THROUGH THE WINDOW OF MY DOOR twice in quick succession and killed me.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Early on when I had probably just finished building my first big fortress/house. I was inside at night smelting, waiting for the sun to rise.

Clicking around, yadda yadda, hurry up and smelt, sssshhhh

Turn around quickly wtf I LEFT THE DOOR OPEN and a creeper took it as an invitation and blew me, my floor, and a wall out. (and my freakin' furnace)

shuri

Banned
i have the latest alpha, how exactly to i switch it to infdev mode?

edit: nevermind, the alpha IS the infdev version

Mudo

I have been looking around online for texture packs as I have yet to try one, and it is difficult for me to tell which ones are actually complete and/or are still being updated and worked on. The 3D Dot Heroes looks good to me so I may try it. I guess I'm looking for some kind of rating system or some way to sort through the millions of options out there right now.

I dunno why everyone hates creepers. Creepers are easy to deal with, as long as you see them coming. In my opinion, the award to biggest cockblock in minecraft goes to the skeletons, BY A LONG MILE. Skeletons are the bane of my existence. Holy fuck I hate skeletons. Even on normal mode, 2-3 stray arrows is enough to take out 2/3s of your health (not wearing any armor). And lets not even talk about if you have other enemies to deal with or, heaven forbid, TWO SKELETONS.
Fuck skeletons.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Pinko Marx said:
I dunno why everyone hates creepers. Creepers are easy to deal with, as long as you see them coming. In my opinion, the award to biggest cockblock in minecraft goes to the skeletons, BY A LONG MILE. Skeletons are the bane of my existence. Holy fuck I hate skeletons. Even on normal mode, 2-3 stray arrows is enough to take out 2/3s of your health (not wearing any armor). And lets not even talk about if you have other enemies to deal with or, heaven forbid, TWO SKELETONS.
Fuck skeletons.

#1 Creepers blow up construction projects. The only enemy that can mess with your blocks.

#2 Creepers kill you faster than skeles. They potentially one-shot you... the only enemy to do so.

#3 Creepers are the only enemy that are fucking SILENT. This is the biggest problem with them.

#4 Creepers are the only enemy that doesn't burn in sunlight.

That's four big reasons. To your main point, yes, they are easy to deal with when in front of you. But what happens to me (and others) is you'll emerge at dawn and fight off one creeper, when one comes from behind you and blows up before you can get away.

Huggy

I'm such a cunt. I booted the game up anyway because I had a brilliant idea.
I would dig a hole to bedrock on my spawnpoint with a pool of water at the end so I'm always mining on the lowest level possible. I even found some damned iron ore on the island next to me on sea level.
After an hour I made my bucket, broke some ice and got water. Then started the long trip down, and I found like 20 more iron ore. At the bottom I filled the hole with my water and started digging my way up a level. After creating and decorating my dwelling I hung up some more torches so I could start my new mining adventure.
Then I noticed the water at the entrance had frozen over. DAMN

GDJustin said:
#1 Creepers blow up construction projects. The only enemy that can mess with your blocks.

#2 Creepers kill you faster than skeles. They potentially one-shot you... the only enemy to do so.

#3 Creepers are the only enemy that are fucking SILENT. This is the biggest problem with them.

#4 Creepers are the only enemy that doesn't burn in sunlight.

That's four big reasons. To your main point, yes, they are easy to deal with when in front of you. But what happens to me (and others) is you'll emerge at dawn and fight off one creeper, when one comes from behind you and blows up before you can get away.

Fuck that. IDC what you say, I've been cockblocked far more times by a skeleton than a creeper.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Huggy said:
I'm such a cunt. I booted the game up anyway because I had a brilliant idea.
I would dig a hole to bedrock on my spawnpoint with a pool of water at the end so I'm always mining on the lowest level possible. I even found some damned iron ore on the island next to me on sea level.
After an hour I made my bucket, broke some ice and got water. Then started the long trip down, and I found like 20 more iron ore. At the bottom I filled the hole with my water and started digging my way up a level. After creating and decorating my dwelling I hung up some more torches so I could start my new mining adventure.
Then I noticed the water at the entrance had frozen over. DAMN
Put a torch next to it

nataku

Well, I emailed Notch the level.dat of my bugged world. Hopefully it helps him in some way. I decided to abandon that world until the issue is fixed and focus on starting a snow world. I'll need to make sure I test out each area I'm going to build towards before I actually start building there or in that direction so I don't waste a bunch of materials again.

I did notice a couple of threads with the exact same issue as me in the support forum on the official Minecraft forums, though. So at least I know others are having the issue as bad as I am.

EDIT: Here are a couple images of my world and the wall/path I was building. I was planning to stretch it between each major mountain, but I ran into the bugged world when building the last two major world.

minecraft_wall2.jpg

minecraft_wall.jpg

Pretty hard to see, but that bit of light in the upper part is the end of what I had so far and where it started bugging out. The bugged part stretches far, far to the upper right of the image. It has to be at least half my known map.

JWong said:
So the wiki doesn't work anymore? Kinda... hard to figure out crafting.

Working for me.

N-Bomb

Construction on N-Bomb Tower continues!

The 7th floor frame has just begun to be erected, and the 3rd floor balconies are being installed. This will give residents a great safe place to snipe anything from, without a chance of being targeted in return.

Lastly, a safety moat has been dug around the building's perimeter to facilitate easy exit from higher floors. Convenience will be a prime selling point of real estate in N-Bomb Tower!

1vAncF.Skyscraper2.jpg

Aaron

GDJustin said:
Re: skeletons - I was in my house at night taunting the skeleton out loud (my wife was making fun of me): "Haha, fuck you skeleton it will be daylight soon."

The fucker shot me THROUGH THE WINDOW OF MY DOOR twice in quick succession and killed me.
I once won a desperate battle in a cave with a skeleton after a creeper had dropped on my head. The result was I was out of food and down to one heart. Then almost immediately, the skeleton's brother shows up. Bastard.

Linkzg said:
I like that I had to go off looking for water, got lost, and was literally panicking at the thought of staying outside at night.

I'm there man. I've had many-a-nights where I've gone off looking for caves, get sidetracked, and lose my way. Staying out all night, especially when unprepared to, is fucking terrifying.

Pinko Marx said:
I'm there man. I've had many-a-nights where I've gone off looking for caves, get sidetracked, and lose my way. Staying out all night, especially when unprepared to, is fucking terrifying.

The main reason is because I always kept close to my house. I am satisfied with it that all I need is a moat (what the water is for). This was the first time I went past this general area. Hours of having the comfort of knowing I could run indoors through several layers of security (doors that lead to stairs taking you to more doors suspended in midair). Then I'm off in the middle of nowhere just trying to remember what direction I came from.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I love the Goatse house on Oatmeals server! I'd post a pic but I don't want to ruin the surprise! Checking out the interior is a must!

TheExodu5

Banned
The culmination of a few hours of work by myself, freakinchair, and thespot84. Someone (ash something...sorry I forgot!) was awesome enough to record a video of us filling it in. I believe he'll have it up on youtube in a bit.

BEHOLD!
megamanmc.png

We will eventually fill the exterior with obsidian...but it takes so long to mine.

TheExodu5 said:
The culmination of a few hours of work by myself, freakinchair, and thespot84. Someone (ash something...sorry I forgot!) was awesome enough to record a video of us filling it in. I believe he'll have it up on youtube in a bit.
It's me! It's taking a long time but I should be uploading it to YouTube in 5 to 10 minutes which will take 30 minutes or so.

N-Bomb said:
Lastly, a safety moat has been dug around the building's perimeter to facilitate easy exit from higher floors. Convenience will be a prime selling point of real estate in N-Bomb Tower!

Beware enemies swimming in the "safety" moat.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheExodu5 said:

BEHOLD!
http://www.thejayzone.com/pics/minecraft/megamanmc.png[/img

We will eventually fill the exterior with obsidian...but it takes so long to mine.[/QUOTE]
And right behind it mucking up the view, BEHOLD!
[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3496710/mid.png

580 Cobblestones, 150 pieces of Glass, 31 Torches, 30 wood bricks, 20 Mossy Cobblestones, and 2 diamond Bricks. All (Except the diamonds, and someone else got the Mossy Cobble) carve out of the earth by hand. Even the glass was made legit, thanks to the furnaces working.

So if I'm playing this demo, can I buy it and save or no matter what I'm going to lose my data here? Right? I should just go ahead and quit, nbuy the game, then be able to save and just forget the mini empire I've built.. awesome game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom