• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
DownLikeBCPowder said:
So if I'm playing this demo, can I buy it and save or no matter what I'm going to lose my data here? Right? I should just go ahead and quit, nbuy the game, then be able to save and just forget the mini empire I've built.. awesome game...

I was a bit hesitant at first to buy it, but it is certainly worth 12 bucks.

There's even a Portal server mod(hopefully a full game mod in the future).

Some nice person on the Minecraft Forum made textures:
portal_screenshot01.png

Already bought. Splurge... I'm busy mining a deep and dark hole somwhere. I've figured out how to make torches and stone pickaxes, but that's about the extent of it. I don't really see how I'm supposed to build a gigantic megaspire unless I slave away for years underneath the ground mining stone. What exactly is "the trick" to success?

And what the hell is wit hthe spiders? They chase me day and night I have to devise special pits for them to get stuck in, I've already modified and roofed my cave so that it's not enterable by a bigger creature (like the spider which never leaves! and there are several!)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
rar said:
how did you get so many diamond blocks?

Oatmeal linked to some jar file which makes your inventory persistent. It basically saves the inventory to a file. Locally. In text format.

Soooooo, I edited myself 64 blocks of snow, moss cobblestone, and diamond blocks and dumped them near the spawn area for people to take. (Should've dumped some obsidian too)

I also placed some TNT around the world (not near buildings).

I had a hard time finding people to throw snowballs at though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Tempy said:
Oatmeal linked to some jar file which makes your inventory persistent. It basically saves the inventory to a file. Locally. In text format.

Soooooo, I edited myself 64 blocks of snow, moss cobblestone, and diamond blocks and dumped them near the spawn area for people to take. (Should've dumped some obsidian too)

I also placed some TNT around the world (not near buildings).

I had a hard time finding people to throw snowballs at though.
Hacker!

Ashodin

DownLikeBCPowder said:
Already bought. Splurge... I'm busy mining a deep and dark hole somwhere. I've figured out how to make torches and stone pickaxes, but that's about the extent of it. I don't really see how I'm supposed to build a gigantic megaspire unless I slave away for years underneath the ground mining stone. What exactly is "the trick" to success?

And what the hell is wit hthe spiders? They chase me day and night I have to devise special pits for them to get stuck in, I've already modified and roofed my cave so that it's not enterable by a bigger creature (like the spider which never leaves! and there are several!)
use sticks and the strings they drop to make a bow and shoot those fuckers! (get arrows from skeletons)
Code:
ST
S T bow design
ST

S = stick T = sTring

superbank said:
Change the text in the description. Some of the materials were not hand-crafted, especially the diamonds! I still don't like that you spawned those Spot, but I did get to make an appearance at 6:39 so...
I changed the description. I'm sure Drkirby said for me to write that in the description. I didn't see the diamonds being made so I didn't know.

Zaphod

Yeh this game is very addictive. I think I must have played for about 10 hours yesterday. I'll probably end up burning myself out at some point but it seems like new features are added all the time. My roommate kept asking why the game looked so blocky, and laughed when he saw the moon. After I gave him his first hit he's not laughing anymore. Good thing his girl came by or I don't know if I would have been able to get my game back.

I do have one question. If I wall off an area to make a courtyard will the bad guys spawn inside? Is a roof the only thing that prevents spawns?

Vlad

Zaphod said:
I do have one question. If I wall off an area to make a courtyard will the bad guys spawn inside? Is a roof the only thing that prevents spawns?

From what I've read/seen, just walling off an area doesn't do anything to affect spawns in and of itself, it's torches that do it. Enemies supposedly won't spawn where torches are nearby (or it could be any light source, I don't know if they'll spawn near lava), so what I've done in my game is wall off a good-sized area on the hilltop where I've decided to build my stuff and then put torches all over the place. Aside from a potential disaster where some of those exploding things spawned in a new building that I had started but hadn't lit yet, I've been able to wander around in my little area safely for quite some time.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Vlad said:
From what I've read/seen, just walling off an area doesn't do anything to affect spawns in and of itself, it's torches that do it. Enemies supposedly won't spawn where torches are nearby (or it could be any light source, I don't know if they'll spawn near lava), so what I've done in my game is wall off a good-sized area on the hilltop where I've decided to build my stuff and then put torches all over the place. Aside from a potential disaster where some of those exploding things spawned in a new building that I had started but hadn't lit yet, I've been able to wander around in my little area safely for quite some time.

Yeah, light up the courtyard and there'll be no enemies spawning. Get rid of all grass and you'll have no animals spawning either.

Zaphod

Vlad said:
Thanks, I'll give that a shot when I get home. My first place was always getting its front door blown off so I have started a second home on an island that is easier to defend and way closer to my spawn point. I wanted to build a nice courtyard for it but I would hate to have holes blown in the walls all the time.

My two favorite things growing up were Dig Dug and Lego so I am really enjoying this game. If only I could mine for Legos bricks in real life.

Philthy

I keep seeing this commercial on TV for a farm or something with blocks all over the ground.

It's really bugging me because I keep thinking its a Minecraft commercial.

5il3nc3r

I hear there are dungeons in this game but so far i have not encountered any. Do i need to dig really deep to find them? Sometimes i could hear a strange sound when when wandering around even when I'm on a boat. Does this mean that there is a dungeon nearby?

5il3nc3r said:
I hear there are dungeons in this game but so far i have not encountered any. Do i need to dig really deep to find them? Sometimes i could hear a strange sound when when wandering around even when I'm on a boat. Does this mean that there is a dungeon nearby?

They are relatively deep yeah, keep an eye out when mining for natural cobblestone that's not been created by lava meeting water. If you spot any then dig around there, the dungeons are made of cobblestone and mossy cobblestone.

Razorskin

----- ------
5il3nc3r said:

Strange sounds doesn't mean there are any dungeons nearby. There are quite deep in the ground but not bed rock level, I've encountered many in caves.

ZZMitch

Bootaaay said:
I don't think that's always the case, the only dungeon I found was only about 8 or 10 blocks below the surface.

Same here, I actually saw the fire block in the first dungeon I found from out side where I was building a house.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Bootaaay said:
I don't think that's always the case, the only dungeon I found was only about 8 or 10 blocks below the surface.
I've found a dungeon down close to bedrock, and a dungeon on ground level. I think they spawn everywhere

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I hate accidentally tunneling into a cave while in 'hold down mouse button while moving forward' mining mode.

I died and lost a bunch of stuff in a big black hole :(

Elsewhere though, I'm shocked at how much I've mined. It's weirdly compulsive, though I can see it getting very boring. At least once I've built what I want to build.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Dungeons are randomly placed and can be shallow or deep. They can be spotted because the dungeon walls have mossy cobblestone, which doesn't appear anywhere else in the game at the moment.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Day 2 on my round tower. I've converted it to glass like I said I would like to, but God if it's not a pain in the arse :lol

10ok93m.png

I have it about half way up to maximum height on the front left quarter though.

14y63cx.png

There's probably all kinds of gotchas and caveats when it comes to building with glass (I guess it's not very strong?) but it looks pretty :p

theRizzle

Is anyone playing this on an old white Macbook? (2ghz Core 2 Duo, 1gb RAM)

I'm really curious and thinking about picking it up but I want to make sure it will actually run.

theRizzle said:
Is anyone playing this on an old white Macbook? (2ghz Core 2 Duo, 1gb RAM)

I'm really curious and thinking about picking it up but I want to make sure it will actually run.
It's reasonably playable for me with a P4 (2.66ghz) so I'm sure you'll be fine with a Core 2. Your RAM might be pushing it though, since I find the memory usage can increase to slightly over a gig after a few hours. (I have 1.5gb of DDR)

Just to be sure you can try out the Classic version and try changing the fog levels to see the different fps you get.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey has anyone else been playing on Mac for a significant amount of time? I tried it initially, but some kind of memory leak or something kept crashing my Finder every half hour or so, so I switched to Win 7. Sound familiar to anyone?

GDJustin

I've been playing exclusively on a 2006 Macbook Pro without problems. 1.5GB RAM, 1.83 Core Duo. No memory leaks or other issues.

I have graphics set to fast and draw distance to normal... this gives me a silky smooth framerate. It's very playable with draw distance set to far, but can be a little jerky, especially because of my penchant for building on top of huge mountains, so I stick with normal.

I DO have to shut down other running apps, though. Minecraft is a bit of a hog. I can only get away with MC + Chrome running.

N-Bomb

The_Technomancer said:
Hey has anyone else been playing on Mac for a significant amount of time? I tried it initially, but some kind of memory leak or something kept crashing my Finder every half hour or so, so I switched to Win 7. Sound familiar to anyone?

Works fine on my Mac Pro - 10.6.4, etc... I just have a weird framerate stutter occationally, and there's one part on the map where the game will semi-freeze, as in I can rotate and use the mouse, but can't walk or use the kb.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
The_Technomancer said:
Run only on Macbook Pro from 2009. Fast graphics, normal draw distance. I can play while running Chrome & iTunes. However, my computer runs incredibly hot after a while. So hot that I pull out a fan and blow it on my laptop just to have some airflow and cool it down.

N-Bomb

K2Valor said:
Run only on Macbook Pro from 2009. Fast graphics, normal draw distance. I can play while running Chrome & iTunes. However, my computer runs incredibly hot after a while. So hot that I pull out a fan and blow it on my laptop just to have some airflow and cool it down.

I wonder if Minecraft is heavier on the CPU or GPU side of things.

Charmicarmicat said:
They are relatively deep yeah, keep an eye out when mining for natural cobblestone that's not been created by lava meeting water. If you spot any then dig around there, the dungeons are made of cobblestone and mossy cobblestone.

I found 4 of those dungeons yesterday on our MP Server! All of them were on the normal gras level without digging at all!

btw: I think I have sound problems! Today I played on my brothers PC and I can locate the sounds just fine from all directions. On my pc I only hear them but without direction and distance hearable. I have installed the openal of course and I have a 3d sound setup which works fine in every other game. Any idea what's causing this? I need to check it out when I get back to my pc :(

The_Technomancer said:

I get the same thing sometimes, along with framerate problems and the occasional freeze.
I found my first dungeon the other day in SP. Mined out 45 blocks of mossy cobble stone and made myself a nice infinite pool in my house. Then I went outside and lost all my mossycobbleston thanks to some skeletons.

Inkwell

Banned
How much light do you need in an area in order to stop enemies from spawning? I keep having enemies randomly spawn in my mine in areas that are full of light. I've also noticed some enemies just outside my home base where there are torches everywhere. This is especially strange since It's on top of a mountain, and I've made sure to build up/knock everything down around it so it's just too high for anything to climb up.

GDJustin

Inkwell said:
How much light do you need in an area in order to stop enemies from spawning? I keep having enemies randomly spawn in my mine in areas that are full of light. I've also noticed some enemies just outside my home base where there are torches everywhere. This is especially strange since It's on top of a mountain, and I've made sure to build up/knock everything down around it so it's just too high for anything to climb up.

I don't think anyone really knows for certain about the specific amount of light. If you just dot torches around inside you should be safe. I think people probably don't need many. I've had poorly lit areas remain monster-free.

Re: monsters spawning inside - was it slimes by any chance? Slimes seem to spawn in deep mined-out areas no matter how well lit they are. (Bug? or designed this way?)

As for outdoors, basically, when night falls, monsters spawn a specific distance away from your position, and then try to move directly towards you. It usually takes them about half the night to reach the player position, depending on the terrain they have to cover.

So, if you have a HUGE house/complex, you could conceivably be at one end and have a monster spawn at the other, if it isn't lit up. But in practice, because of the monster spawn distance, this isn't too much of an issue.

Inkwell

Banned
GDJustin said:
I don't think anyone really knows for certain about the specific amount of light. If you just dot torches around inside you should be safe. I think people probably don't need many. I've had poorly lit areas remain monster-free.

Re: monsters spawning inside - was it slimes by any chance? Slimes seem to spawn in deep mined-out areas no matter how well lit they are. (Bug? or designed this way?)

As for outdoors, basically, when night falls, monsters spawn a specific distance away from your position, and then try to move directly towards you. It usually takes them about half the night to reach the player position, depending on the terrain they have to cover.

So, if you have a HUGE house/complex, you could conceivably be at one end and have a monster spawn at the other, if it isn't lit up. But in practice, because of the monster spawn distance, this isn't too much of an issue.
It's been every kind of enemy. Well, except for slimes, as I've never seen one. Also my house/base isn't very large. I had a spider spawn inside of my greenhouse area once, but that's never happened again. I've actually had a creeper spawn inside of it when I thought it was well lit enough. Since then I've doubled the amount of torches and have been fine ever since.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Finally reached the top! :) At least for a quarter of my tower...

6gikye.png

2n24d3.png

My index finger is sore now :|

Thankfully I haven't yet attracted any exploding dudes...but having learned of glass's delicacy, I think I'll add some further defenses around this once it's done.

How do I find good veins of ore? I find little golden speckled iron (or ste\el whatever it is) sometimes, but only like 5 or 6 blocks. Is ther a better way to mine? I've gone through soooo mcuh regular rock and I can't seem to develop the understanding. I've tried other areas, but hmm.. I've even gone VERY deep. I guess not that deep though.

GDJustin

gofreak said:
Thankfully I haven't yet attracted any exploding dudes...but having learned of glass's delicacy, I think I'll add some further defenses around this once it's done.

And fill it with lava, right? :D :D

It would take weeks to get that much lava. But what you COULD do it make an inner wall, leaving a one block wide space between the inner wall and outer glass wall. Then fill THAT with lava. Make the only entrance underground.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DownLikeBCPowder said:
How do I find good veins of ore? I find little golden speckled iron (or ste\el whatever it is) sometimes, but only like 5 or 6 blocks. Is ther a better way to mine? I've gone through soooo mcuh regular rock and I can't seem to develop the understanding. I've tried other areas, but hmm.. I've even gone VERY deep. I guess not that deep though.

I wonder if I'm 'doing it right' too.

I excavated a pretty huge area as deep down as I could go (down to bedrock), in an area that is underwater. I came across a tonne of regular rock, then maybe 30 or so iron ore blocks, a few gold ore blocks, a couple of diamonds, some coal, and actually a fair bit of redstone interestingly enough. Is that typical? Do pre-generated caves come with more 'goodies'?

GDJustin said:
And fill it with lava, right? :D :D

It would take weeks to get that much lava. But what you COULD do it make an inner wall, leaving a one block wide space between the inner wall and outer glass wall. Then fill THAT with lava. Make the only entrance underground.

:) Nice ideas... at the moment it's separated from land by water, which does a good enough job of keeping stuff away for now. But I'll definitely do more to keep nasties from doing any damage. Are the exploding kind the worst to look out for?

gofreak said:
I wonder if I'm 'doing it right' too.

I excavated a pretty huge area as deep down as I could go (down to bedrock), in an area that is underwater. I came across a tonne of regular rock, then maybe 30 or so iron ore blocks, a few gold ore blocks, a couple of diamonds, some coal, and actually a fair bit of redstone interestingly enough. Is that typical? Do pre-generated caves come with more 'goodies'?

:) Nice ideas... at the moment it's separated from land by water, which does a good enough job of keeping stuff away for now. But I'll definitely do more to keep nasties from doing any damage. Are the exploding kind the worst to look out for?

I haven't even found THAT much and I've gone SO deep. I guess what I consider to be so deep isn't that deep at all.

GDJustin

gofreak said:

You're not filling it with lava to keep it safe. You're filling it with lava BECAUSE YOU CAN. If your Minecraft construction projects are built with practicality in mind, you're doing it wrong. :D

FYI water doesn't stop enemies. They will swim right up to your island. Surprised you haven't experienced this.

& yes the exploding creepers are the only one that can take out blocks. But there's no physics or anything so your building won't topple. Just have to replace some.

thespot84

superbank said:
Change the text in the description. Some of the materials were not hand-crafted, especially the diamonds! I still don't like that you spawned those Spot, but I did get to make an appearance at 6:39 so...

:lol

You can't stop progress my friend :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GDJustin said:
You're not filling it with lava to keep it safe. You're filling it with lava BECAUSE YOU CAN. If your Minecraft construction projects are built with practicality in mind, you're doing it wrong. :D

FYI water doesn't stop enemies. They will swim right up to your island. Surprised you haven't experienced this.

& yes the exploding creepers are the only one that can take out blocks. But there's no physics or anything so your building won't topple. Just have to replace some.

Actually, I did notice a zombie while I was sky high building, at the back end of the tower weirdly enough. I had a laugh at that though, poor confused zombie :D

No explode-y ones yet though! I think they only trigger when you come in range anyway...I tend to go away mining through a tunnel at the back of the tower at night, so I guess they never get 'triggered' if they are coming up to the tower.

In a multiplayer context, something like this would be terribly vulnerable of course. Glass smashes with a couple of hits of a bare fist.

I'm half wondering what'll happen if I replace the sand at the floor with glass, and then mine underneath the tower...if water flows under will it move the tower? Something I might try, perhaps if I back up my save :p It would be pretty neat to have something that looked like it was just floating, pure glass.

Inkwell

Banned
DownLikeBCPowder said:
My advice is to find a decent sized cave system. I recently found a huge cave with lots of tunnels spreading out from it. When you're in a cave there is more exposed rock, which equals more exposed ore. when it comes to iron, you will generally only find 3-6 iron ore together at a time. With gold, I seem to average about 2-4 blocks of ore together, but it's also more rare than iron. For diamonds, you will have the best luck going very deep and searching near lava.

JWong

Banned
Anyone have a guide for crafting that's not on the wiki. I found out that my workplace is blocking the wiki site for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom