• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inkwell said:
My advice is to find a decent sized cave system. I recently found a huge cave with lots of tunnels spreading out from it. When you're in a cave there is more exposed rock, which equals more exposed ore. when it comes to iron, you will generally only find 3-6 iron ore together at a time. With gold, I seem to average about 2-4 blocks of ore together, but it's also more rare than iron. For diamonds, you will have the best luck going very deep and searching near lava.

How do you find the lava? I have made ultra extensive caves in my mining now, I've finally hit a rock I can't seem to break, but I suppose lava is just in that vicinity of depth.. hmm

Is there anything I can do with all this stone I dig up, aside from make structures? I know I can forge it to I guess a finer looking stone...

Finally found some, checked some pre made caves and found some pretty uqick. My deep mining out of random areas didn't yield such good results!

Philthy

Mostly make structures and refine into other stones for different looks. The game has a ways to go yet for a full extensive crafting selection. Hopefully tables, chairs, etc and whatnot will come at some point. I couldn't imagine it being too difficult to flesh it all out.

Dragmire

So my character is now stuck by some gravel blocks that kept falling. I can look around and destroy blocks nearby (and I destroyed all the gravel blocks), but now I'm suspended in the air and still unable to move. This is after quiting the game and coming back. I've probably put 50+ hours into this world, so I really hope this 'getting stuck' thing gets fixed. And I've read I'm supposed to send my level.dat file to Notch, but where do I send it? Can you move the point your character starts at in your save file (not spawn point, but where you are in the world in your save file)?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
DownLikeBCPowder said:
How do you find the lava? I have made ultra extensive caves in my mining now, I've finally hit a rock I can't seem to break, but I suppose lava is just in that vicinity of depth.. hmm

Is there anything I can do with all this stone I dig up, aside from make structures? I know I can forge it to I guess a finer looking stone...

Finally found some, checked some pre made caves and found some pretty uqick. My deep mining out of random areas didn't yield such good results!

In my experience construction projects always require more materials than estimated. If you eyeball a castle and say you think it'll take 350 stone, it's really going to take 700.

I used 1000 dirt blocks just to make the foundation of my current world, and had to farm over 1000 papyrus to make a single library, a while back.

1000 isn't really that much. Remember 10 stacks is already 640.

So... I mean, you might think you have a ton of stone but I can almost assure you that you'll run out before making a grand stairway or something.

GDJustin said:
In my experience construction projects always require more materials than estimated. If you eyeball a castle and say you think it'll take 350 stone, it's really going to take 700.

I used 1000 dirt blocks just to make the foundation of my current world, and had to farm over 1000 papyrus to make a single library, a while back.

1000 isn't really that much. Remember 10 stacks is already 640.

So... I mean, you might think you have a ton of stone but I can almost assure you that you'll run out before making a grand stairway or something.

I've constructed this superstructure so far:
2q821om.png

I've still got plenty of resources, planning to build a little palace in the sky over the bay. So far so good, going to connect them all from the top with stone walkways and the for looks "support" columns.

I'd like to mine minerals and get better armor and shit, but it takes me SO LONG just to find a few little special ores, so I don't even care about that anymore. Not like it would make much differnece if I did have the EQ, so I just work on my structure.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
After seeing Inception a second time, I want a new mode where someone can make crazy creations in Creative mode and then let other people play through them. Maybe that third "adventure" game mode Notch hinted at?

Datwheezy said:
I might not be looking hard enough, but does anyone know the rough system requirement for the game? Thanks.
It's not running very well on my ULV Core2Duo 1.6Ghz Tablet PC if this is a useful indicator?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The_Technomancer said:
After seeing Inception a second time, I want a new mode where someone can make crazy creations in Creative mode and then let other people play through them. Maybe that third "adventure" game mode Notch hinted at?
I was thinking something similar after seeing the movie a second time yesterday (o_O). Some parts of it really made me think of Minecraft. :lol

Wired

Well true to my nature I've gotten somewhat obsessed with collecting diamonds, I don't use them for crafting but stick them in a chest and look at them from time to time... but I want more, after I have over a hundred I may make a sword or something.

A few pics, the first a look at my current main base/tower:
tower.png

And the second:
cart.png

Ferrio

Banned
OgTheClever said:
Is that Barad-dur I see!?

And fffuuuuu, there's a path that goes from the middle of the map all the way to the top left.

It tunnels through all the mountains in the way and underwater sometimes too. The guy made it not knowing carts don't work in multi. Takes 10+ minutes to walk the entire length.

Razorskin

----- ------
Kuran said:
Hm, since its Java it is supposed to be cross-platform.

However the program loads, yet does not find any of my stored maps.

Is it incompatible with the application version of the game?

It works with both the in browser version and application version.

Inkwell

Banned
Wired said:
Well true to my nature I've gotten somewhat obsessed with collecting diamonds, I don't use them for crafting but stick them in a chest and look at them from time to time... but I want more, after I have over a hundred I may make a sword or something.

A few pics, the first a look at my current main base/tower:
tower.png

And the second:
cart.png
How long did it take you to build that? I've spent most of the time I've played this game mining, but I spent a decent amount of time building my home/base and it's not nearly as cool as something like this. It's smart to build a tower in case you go off adventuring or if you die since you can see it from very far away. I might make a tower or lighthouse for this reason.

I never built a castle or tower in the first place because it seemed like that's what everyone was doing. I wanted to do something a little more original. I couldn't really do my original idea because I wouldn't be able to add the amount of detail/variation that I would have liked. Instead, I settled on something simpler. It looks nice and all, but seems pretty weak in comparison to what other people are building. I hope we get a little variation in block size, shape, and color in the future.

Blizzard

Banned
Inkwell said:
How long did it take you to build that? I've spent most of the time I've played this game mining, but I spent a decent amount of time building my home/base and it's not nearly as cool as something like this. It's smart to build a tower in case you go off adventuring or if you die since you can see it from very far away. I might make a tower or lighthouse for this reason.

I never built a castle or tower in the first place because it seemed like that's what everyone was doing. I wanted to do something a little more original. I couldn't really do my original idea because I wouldn't be able to add the amount of detail/variation that I would have liked. Instead, I settled on something simpler. It looks nice and all, but seems pretty weak in comparison to what other people are building. I hope we get a little variation in block size, shape, and color in the future.
I wouldn't bet on block size/shape (maybe shape because of the step blocks, but step blocks and half blocks have various quirks associated with them). Some more colors should presumably be added to make it match classic creative mode. If you haven't, drop into a couple of classic creative servers and check out what they've made. Talk about pixel art, I think that "another minecraft server" or whatnot had an entire world section for pixel art. Of course, people typically using flying hax to make those, I guess, but it's still a lot of blocks to place.

So my laptop battery failed while I was working on my waterfall earlier today and my entire world is gone. Only about 6 hours of work.. but I suppose that's chump change to some of you. Loaded up a couple more until I found another starting area that looked(and sounded, with the rumblings of a dungeon below) promising. After setting up camp on a cliff face I mined into the mountain and got some torches burning. The first night passed and I come back to find 3 of these smiling fiends sitting around my workbench, along with their arrow tossing skeletal friend. He, unlike myself, was unlucky enough to be next to one of the creepers when he blew. Here's a few seconds after the explosion:

epmbo2.jpg

fuck you buddy

edit:
2qa76vq.jpg

2czdfd1.jpg

:lol

Blizzard

Banned
I think the game autosaves when you press escape to go to the menu, plus if you're really playing it safe you can save to the main menu manually every 30 minutes or something, and then just load back into where you left off.

And :lol at "It's afraid".

Rokk

Neo Member
So I bought / downloaded Minecraft last night. I have played maybe 6 hours since, this game is amazing.

would be rad if skeletons could back the fuck up when I'm trying to construct my mega castle at night though

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
After playing multiplayer exclusively since it came out I decided to go back to single player to finish up my house. I discovered the shrimp logo I made for multi turns into a nice smiley face when I have a helmet on.

MCshrimpface.jpg

edit: V :eek: smiley faces everywhere.

Ashodin

2i7po37.png

I just noticed: The trees from the aerial view are all smiley faces.

they are all variations of : D :) :}. YOU CAN'T UNSEE THEM.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Maxrpg said:
http://i33.tinypic.com/2i7po37.png[/img
I just noticed: [b]The trees from the aerial view are all smiley faces.[/b]

they are all variations of : D :) :}. YOU CAN'T UNSEE THEM.[/QUOTE]

On Oatmeals Server, right now I am tearing down a mountain because it looked at me funny. That will strike fear into the hearts of mountains everwhere!

I'll post a picture showing the large flat area in a mountain range once I am done.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Drkirby said:

On Oatmeals Server, right now I am tearing down a mountain because it looked at me funny. That will strike fear into the hearts of mountains everwhere!

I'll post a picture showing the large flat area in a mountain range once I am done.

Next time I log in I'd like to flatten the area a bit going straight from the current spawn towards the old spawn. Would like the skyline of the buildings at the old spawn to be somewhat more visible moving from the current spawn. Could make a main highway of sorts, and build some new buildings alongside it. Currently the area between old and new spawn is too barren to my liking.

S. L.

what is the best way to build bridges?
Right now i am always slowly crawling a bit over the edge and add a stone, which is slow and time consuming...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Tempy said:
Next time I log in I'd like to flatten the area a bit going straight from the current spawn towards the old spawn. Would like the skyline of the buildings at the old spawn to be somewhat more visible moving from the current spawn. Could make a main highway of sorts, and build some new buildings alongside it. Currently the area between old and new spawn is too barren to my liking.
Yeah, its just the Lost Number thingy, the Hello sign, and the two glass roads, and the two tunnels I dug. I was really hoping for more stuff to pop up between the two, but people keep going back to the old spawn area to build stuff.

I wonder what I should build in my now flat land. Maybe some really dinky house that makes the area look larger in comparison :lol

Orgun

I had a terrifying experience at midnight last night with Minecraft :)

I was smelting and sorting out my chests at my HQ (waaaaay underground) when I heard a skeleton rattle. I'd heard these a number of times while at my HQ and decided it was high time I cleared him out.
Spent about 5 minutes clearing rock and dirt, after another a minute clearing some of the dirt (all the while the Skeleton noise was getting slightly louder). Then BAM I clear a block and before the block has finished dissolving *THWANG* Uh uh uh uh I'd been hit and nearly threw my mouse across the room in terror. I managed to get it together and kill the skeleton with 1 heart remaining.
Relieved that I had finally gotten rid of that noisy menace I opened up the hole and had a look around the cave he was in. Satisfied it was empty I turned around to return...and above where I'd come in there was a Creeper. Just sitting there. Looking at me. It's face following me wherever I went. Unmoving. As if it was looking down on me and saying "L-L-L-LLook at you Miner. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my caves. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal exploding Creeper?"

Yeah I walled up that place in a hurry and didn't return. At least Creepers are quiet.

There is definitely something utterly terrifying about the sound of a skeleton shooting at you out of nowhere, especially the first few times you encounter one in, and especially especially in a cave.

No other game has ever gotten that kind of terrified jumpy reaction from me.

Sciz

On the subject of terror, I've been exploring a new cave system for three or four hours now, and it just keeps going. Worse, it's absolutely packed with monsters; at the bottom of every shaft, a horde of zombies, skeletons, and creepers are reliably waiting to be cleared out, and I can't turn corners without dueling a few of them as well. Even worse is that the complex is one of those types that features loads of vertical shafts in the ceilings, so I keep having skeletons and creepers drop down on top of me without warning. D:

Unfortunately the place is loaded with coal and redstone (with trace amounts of gold and diamonds), so I can't bring myself to just seal it up and be done with it. On the plus side, one creeper was kind enough to drop the yellow-labeled record.

HappyBivouac said:
There is definitely something utterly terrifying about the sound of a skeleton shooting at you out of nowhere, especially the first few times you encounter one in, and especially especially in a cave.

No other game has ever gotten that kind of terrified jumpy reaction from me.
SO THIS! Skeletons and especially their arrows are scary :(

yesterday a TREE scared the shit out of me! I was chatting with another player in the chat about what it would be when there would be a mob right behind you the exact moment (in multi where it is known to have no mobs yet!)

A few minutes after this I went into a cave and jumped. Damn, it was a tree, visible through the caves second entrance. I thought it is a creeper out of nowhere. :lol Damn game :(

Sciz said:
On the subject of terror, I've been exploring a new cave system for three or four hours now, and it just keeps going. Worse, it's absolutely packed with monsters; at the bottom of every shaft, a horde of zombies, skeletons, and creepers are reliably waiting to be cleared out, and I can't turn corners without dueling a few of them as well. Even worse is that the complex is one of those types that features loads of vertical shafts in the ceilings, so I keep having skeletons and creepers drop down on top of me without warning. D:

Unfortunately the place is loaded with coal and redstone (with trace amounts of gold and diamonds), so I can't bring myself to just seal it up and be done with it. On the plus side, one creeper was kind enough to drop the yellow-labeled record.

In my experience, every decently sized cave is loaded with coal near the surface and redstone deeper down. They've never been difficult to get in large quantities in any of my worlds.

Wired

Inkwell said:
How long did it take you to build that?

Oh I don't know really, I spent time building a little on it whenever I was bored of simply mining so it's hard to say really. Quite a while in any case. :lol

epmode

I've been playing this for ages now but I finally found my first real cavern. Seems to be moderately sized with lava and water rivers scattered about. TONS of rare ores and diamonds though! Makes me feel like an idiot for sticking with the grid mining system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom