• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, I think I have to give up on my giant cave for a bit, since getting swarmed and killed every five minutes is getting old fast. Probably time to break off an earlier shaft from the main mine and see where that leads.

DownLikeBCPowder said:
How do I find good veins of ore? I find little golden speckled iron (or ste\el whatever it is) sometimes, but only like 5 or 6 blocks. Is ther a better way to mine? I've gone through soooo mcuh regular rock and I can't seem to develop the understanding. I've tried other areas, but hmm.. I've even gone VERY deep. I guess not that deep though.

You mine in caves. The caves have just as much or more ore and you dont have to dig. It is a waste of time making HUGE mines. Find a gigantic cave system and reap the rewards. Plus exploring caves is like 1000% times funner than digging endlessly. Use the cartographer and find massive caves if you dont feel like finding 50-100 dead ends before you find a cave system.

Inkwell said:
My advice is to find a decent sized cave system. I recently found a huge cave with lots of tunnels spreading out from it. When you're in a cave there is more exposed rock, which equals more exposed ore. when it comes to iron, you will generally only find 3-6 iron ore together at a time. With gold, I seem to average about 2-4 blocks of ore together, but it's also more rare than iron. For diamonds, you will have the best luck going very deep and searching near lava.

I was beaten... badly.

TylerD

Just picked it up. For 13 bucks the potential this game has is pretty amazing. I am on top of a mountain right now on a 5 block tall man-made dirt mound doing some crafting while the spiders/zombies/skeletons/creepers attempt to attack me.

As soon as day breaks I will be adventuring off to find a new hideout and do some serious mining.

Sciz

HappyBivouac said:
In my experience, every decently sized cave is loaded with coal near the surface and redstone deeper down. They've never been difficult to get in large quantities in any of my worlds.
Probably true. I've been out of town for a week, so this is still my second serious world.

Is there some special condition needed for slimes to spawn? That's the one thing I haven't seen or heard in any of my digs yet.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Oh wow, that link with the Majora's Mask moon has some great mods.
Notch's face as the Sun, i like it :lol

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
If Valve hires him and gives him the resources to make this game even greater, I would explode.

Kuran

Banned
I knew this was going to happen, and it kindof sucks.

If he gets bought or employed, I doubt the project will stay the same.. and I doubt these weekly releases will continue to happen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
He's said before he'd like to release Minecraft on Steam eventually.

Just because he's talking to Valve - I'm sure it's them - doesn't mean they're going to buy the game, or anything of the sort. Apparently a fair number of Valve developers play Minecraft, and they may just want a chinwag. Not every discussion between developers means a deal is in the offing.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Kuran said:

If he gets bought or employed, I doubt the project will stay the same.. and I doubt these weekly releases will continue to happen.

why do you think that?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sciz said:
Via Notch's twitter:

Baseless speculation: Smells like Valve.
That's not baseless at all. He's said many times before how Half-Life 2 and Portal are some of his favorite games, and has mentioned Valve in a number of occasions. Besides, Valve has a record of being awesome.

I'll say "holy fuck" if they're looking for him. I mean, I'd love to see Minecraft finished without external influence first, but he could do some great things in partnership with a company like Valve.

As great as Minecraft is, there's no doubt that it'd be even better if there were...you know, more than ONE person working on it.

I hope Valve hires him and creates the ultimate Minecraft experience.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Kuran said:

Yah I mean it's not like Icefrog (the guy who made DotA what it is today) was hired by valve and yet still does regular updates to the original WC3 DotA while working on his own DotA like game with Valve at the same time or anything.

:p

Philthy

His Dwarf Fortress Minecraft imagining would become a total reality if he had an actual team of people working on this.

It would be amazing. Like the heavens opening up and beams of light shining down on us, and this chorus of singing naked women..

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Zerokku said:
Yah I mean it's not like Icefrog (the guy who made DotA what it is today) was hired by valve and yet still does regular updates to the original WC3 DotA while working on his own DotA like game with Valve at the same time or anything.

:p
He does? I thought he stopped updating the WC3 game a while ago.

That's awesome.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
civilstrife said:
As great as Minecraft is, there's no doubt that it'd be even better if there were...you know, more than ONE person working on it.

I hope Valve hires him and creates the ultimate Minecraft experience.

I don't know... he conceptualised it as an indie project and things are ticking on OK in that sense.

He is also making plenty of money. If he wanted he could already hire other programmers to work with him fulltime. But I've a feeling he'd hesitate on that.

Although others have worked on the graphics and sound, I think the idea of this being 'one man' making this has created a certain romance around the game and has kept expectations in check. If suddenly there was a larger team working on it - either with Valve or otherwise - I think that would go out the window, and there'd be much more pressure on them.

I don't know though, I'm sure whatever he does it'll be with the best interests of the game first and foremost in his mind. But I wouldn't read too much into these tweets...

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
True, but if there's one company I would trust to do things right it would be Valve

Probably the only company I could trust in regards to hiring people like that.

A friend of mine just came over and watched me play for 15-20ish minutes. He pulled out a 20 and told me to buy him a copy with PayPal(he doesn't have an account and won't use CC on internets) and to keep the change. He claims we're going to hang out after I get off work in 6 or 7 hours but I'm almost positive he'll still be playing when I get off. :lol

God damn crack Minecraft!

S. L.

i thought it was a good idea to randomly dig vertically to the bottom till and hope i hit good stuff... until i hit lava. boooooo my precious diamond pickaxe :*(

Vinci

Danish
S. L. said:
i thought it was a good idea to randomly dig vertically to the bottom till and hope i hit good stuff... until i hit lava. boooooo my precious diamond pickaxe :*(

Was always afraid of something like this, but it never has happened. I always dig at an angle when descending till I hit bedrock, then I move till I find lava. Once there, I try to determine the exact size of the lava pit and circle it, looking for diamonds and other good stuff.

In short: I love lava.

EDIT: Five minutes after saying this, lava eats some diamond ore that I mined and went into the lava since it was directly behind it (I couldn't see the lava).

Myomoto

S. L. said:

Never dig on the block you're standing on, unless you're certain you won't run into any surprises.

Today I started to dig away all the dirt and gravel in the self dug cave I have under my underwater glass dome. By doing this there was one suprise after the other all the time. Now I'm out of flares and need to get some more (I had 128 with me!) And I need to get all the stuff I found to be safe as well!

Digging away the gravel and dirt is really awesome. I found a LOT of new caves, >64 iron, >25 gold, 150 red stone. I need to go down there again now :)

BTW all my mobs are away :( What did I do wrong? (it's set to normal and I'm logged in)
edit: Something really is wrong! When I throw away stuff from my inventory the blocks do not show up in front of me as well.

edit2:

Digging straight down works quite well if you stand in the center of up to 4 blocks! Dig away one, turn 90° dig again, do so until you meet lava or bedrock :)

edit3:

After restarting the game, everything is fine and I get mobs and stuff. But damn, now I wish I would not get them, I'm scared again :D Can hear a skeleton already :(

S. L.

Myomoto said:
Never dig on the block you're standing on, unless you're certain you won't run into any surprises.
you live and you learn

my current pride and joy :)
mine2usgq.jpg
mine1ps0y.jpg

current top level of my tower
mine3hq6r.jpg

chillin in my glass balcony outdoor pool
mine45ojc.jpg

:D :D

Kuran

Banned
I hope to be able to hold a torch, and actually have a real light source in my hands without having to place it.

Would be a huge help for mining.

Or a helmet with a lamp on it..

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I miss minecraft. I've been traveling for work, playing Starcraft, and just been generally... busy. It's been like a week since I tooled around my budding little complex and I'm going through some withdrawal somewhat :lol :lol

I was def. burnt out back around the final day I logged in and played though. It's good to stay away for a bit.

One tip:

If you're beginning to experience some Minecraft burn out, stop trying to do things BIG and instead just try to do things *new*. Every construction project I work on contains at least one small new element for me, whether it's working with redstone for the first time, lava waterfalls, etc.

dejay said:
After reading a bit of that thread I have the perverse desire to have this as my sun...

I'll make it happen tonight when I get home from work :D

Haha, please post it when you do, i'd like to use that in my game - brings back fond memories of getting baked and watching Teletubbies when I should have been in school :lol

Kuran

Banned
mapzoom.png

map.png

Nothing special from this height.. but it is very intricate with a lot of passageways and interiors. Also built on top of a huge cave complex with precious materials.. so I will put some golden and crystal ornaments on my castle soon.

dejay

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Haha, please post it when you do, i'd like to use that in my game - brings back fond memories of getting baked and watching Teletubbies when I should have been in school :lol

I just read that as "getting naked and watching Teletubbies"

nomster

Giving it a shot because of this thread. THis game really satisfies my lego itch. Not sure if I like the bad guys running around though.

Razorskin

----- ------
nomster said:
Giving it a shot because of this thread. THis game really satisfies my lego itch. Not sure if I like the bad guys running around though.

Just play on peaceful if you don't like the bad guys, they won't spawn.

Blizzard

Banned
Holepunch said:
Better news, Minecraft on steam!
I like being able to play it wherever I want, without running the Steam client or having Steam DRM. :p As far as I know (which is not very far) the DRM or whatever built into the game lets you play offline as much as you want as long as you've only logged in once, no Steam client required. Less DRM is a good thing in my opinion even though I like Steam (despite the fact that it seems to take FOREVER to launch the client for me, probably because I have too many games installed).

Also, I think he has basically said on Twitter that more cooks does not a better soup make, so in his opinion, I think he likes working by himself. I think he also said he doesn't think the game will ever truly be "finished".

Now, if he got the game into a good final/release state in his view, with pretty much all of the major bugs fixed, and somehow got hired by Valve despite living in Sweden...it might be interesting to see what sort of project they might make. I guess we'll just wait and see. I like Valve in general, and I'm a PC gamer from days of yore, but I guess I am just not as big of a fan of Valve as some people.

Stitch

Gold Member
Blizzard said:
As far as I know (which is not very far) the DRM or whatever built into the game lets you play offline as much as you want as long as you've only logged in once
cool, so it works like steam :p

datruth29

I've been so busy the past couple of weeks, I've barely had any time to play anything. However, I'm strongly considering checking this out. Are there any sites dedicated to the game to provide tips about playing through the game and such?

Blizzard

Banned
Stitch said:
cool, so it works like steam :p
Except as I pointed out 2-3 times in that post, the Steam client is required to be installed, and to be run, to run the games, to say nothing of the Steam service. :p And as I also pointed out in the same post, the Steam client takes a long time to launch for me, not that that's a big deal since I usually leave it running anyway.

AND, as I didn't point out but will now, offline mode has had bugs as far as I know, off and on. I thought some games wouldn't work in it sometimes, and Valve in particular had released multiple updates, even saying stuff along the lines of "REALLY fixed offline mode this time". It may be perfect now! If so, that's wonderful.

To top it all off, I typically launch Minecraft from the Steam client itself. I don't HAVE to, and I like having that choice, but if I want to run it with Steam community stuff (I'd like to be able to turn off the overlay for Minecraft only but that doesn't seem to be an option yet) and have my friends see I'm playing it, I can, and several people on my friends list already do.

Vinci

Danish
Seems like everything I see someone making is inundated with glass. I guess I am alone in not liking the look of glass overly much. I mean, I'll give my houses and other structures windows and the like, but any significant amount of glass - from any sort of distance - looks more like flimsy scaffolding than it does glass.

This isn't directed at anyone in this thread, BTW. Just been watching some videos on Youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom