• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Myomoto said:
Never dig on the block you're standing on, unless you're certain you won't run into any surprises.
Nah, bring a Rock Pick ax, Rock Shovel, 20 wood blocks, a few torches and like 8 things of coal, and have a blast. Sure, you may just die, but you don't lose anything to great.

I tend to only use glass when I need to section off a cave in a tunnel. That way I know the cave is still there, and don't have to worry about falling off the road in my tunnel 20 squares down.

Helmholtz

I bought this game today with two of my friends. All I can say is wow. For a game still in alpha it's one of the most refreshing multiplayer expiriences I've ever had. I helped my friend build a massive coloseum esque structure, I'll try to post pics of it soon.

dejay

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Haha, please post it when you do, i'd like to use that in my game - brings back fond memories of getting baked and watching Teletubbies when I should have been in school :lol

Here's the sun. The face is pretty good rising/setting, but the image is totally washed out when the sun is fully up. Still, the shape is very suitable as a sun.
LT5li.png

Took me a bit to realise that the game used black as an alpha channel for the sun/moon. You may want to turn it 90 degrees, depending on your preference.

I also did a moon, but you can see the stars through it....
tuW4a.png

lumberjack

Neo Member
so im running the newest version of the alpha and maybe you guys can tell me because ive never done it before but can you no longer manipulate lava? I know when you could you needed a bucket but i cant seem to get it to work. Thanks for the help.

Myomoto

lumberjack said:
so im running the newest version of the alpha and maybe you guys can tell me because ive never done it before but can you no longer manipulate lava? I know when you could you needed a bucket but i cant seem to get it to work. Thanks for the help.

You need to pick up a 'source' block with a bucket now.

Orgun

From Notch's blog

Tomorrow, I will do a seecret friday update. Ooooh! I wonder what it could be? Perhaps hamsters? Perhaps turnips? Who knows!?

Server-side inventory is coming next week, including shared chests and so, and this is also when I will fix some of the bugs in SMP, like the ladder thing and the looking through walls bug.

Javaman

Myomoto said:
Never dig on the block you're standing on, unless you're certain you won't run into any surprises.
Or the block above you when you're near lava.

Blizzard said:
I like being able to play it wherever I want, without running the Steam client or having Steam DRM. :p As far as I know (which is not very far) the DRM or whatever built into the game lets you play offline as much as you want as long as you've only logged in once, no Steam client required. Less DRM is a good thing in my opinion even though I like Steam (despite the fact that it seems to take FOREVER to launch the client for me, probably because I have too many games installed).

I don't think offline is the right word. When my internet was down I couldn't play at all since I couldn't log in.

Sciz

Note to self: Don't climb waterfalls in caves that flow from a pitch black cavern. D:

Orgun said:
Additionally:

Notch said:
As you might’ve seen in news posts and blog updates, some fairly important people who I consider my heroes want to talk to me (I’ve spoken with three of my favorite companies so far). Initial contact has been established, but nothing concrete has happened yet. I will go on a trip to the US in the start of September to meet with a couple of companies. I have no idea what will come out of it, but hopefully it will be cool.
If anyone in the northwestern area of the US wants to say hi somewhere around then, I’m sure we can work out some meeting. I’d love to meet you!
One of those is unquestionably Valve, but who else in the area could've taken an interest in him?

commissar

Or putting sand in boxes :)

Set up a server and had some fun. Can't wait for proper survival mulitplayer.
In the meantime can anyone recommend server mods/scripts to be able to change the /home location or a starter kit?

Anything else recommendable?

Orgun said:

Server side inventory/chests is going to be a big one. Once that is in there if he gets some spawns/time working SMP will be wonderful.

I wonder what sort of play modes there will be in the future... I'm getting a bit burnt out on just building massive buildings in SMP. The place is like a mini city already. There needs to be like a defense mode or something where you have to build fortifications that the enemies actively try to get through to destroy, and if they destroy it it randomly destroys parts of the inventories of all players or something. Something to make things exciting.

19Kilo

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Server side inventory/chests is going to be a big one. Once that is in there if he gets some spawns/time working SMP will be wonderful.

I wonder what sort of play modes there will be in the future... I'm getting a bit burnt out on just building massive buildings in SMP. The place is like a mini city already. There needs to be like a defense mode or something where you have to build fortifications that the enemies actively try to get through to destroy, and if they destroy it it randomly destroys parts of the inventories of all players or something. Something to make things exciting.

Exactly. What I want is a full-on Dungeon Keeper mode.

Philthy

Sciz said:
One of those is unquestionably Valve, but who else in the area could've taken an interest in him?

Any company that has funding available I would imagine. He has taken a simple idea that is probably very manageable, that has a large following already. It would be silly for any publisher not already courting him, or at least preparing their own version of this.

So many old games like Dungeon Keeper, Roguelikes, Populous, etc have been ignored for far too long. Iterations have been made that are either too complex for most people to enjoy, or just simply ignored. There is a lot of room for different games to be made right now.

There have been games like Minecraft and Torchlight that have been making strides, but anyone can see there is a huge market for classic gameplay that has been ignored. Blizzard is the one exception, and I'm not sure why.

Kuran

Banned
Philthy said:
Any company that has funding available I would imagine. He has taken a simple idea that is probably very manageable, that has a large following already. It would be silly for any publisher not already courting him, or at least preparing their own version of this.

So many old games like Dungeon Keeper, Roguelikes, Populous, etc have been ignored for far too long. Iterations have been made that are either too complex for most people to enjoy, or just simply ignored. There is a lot of room for different games to be made right now.

There have been games like Minecraft and Torchlight that have been making strides, but anyone can see there is a huge market for classic gameplay that has been ignored.

_he does not need funding_ Minecraft almost made him a million.. and I doubt he wants to hire artists/voice actors for this project.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I too hope that Notch avoids the temptation to partner with a major pub, unless the terms allow him to remain 100% indie and do 100% what he wants with the project, distribute it the way he wants, etc.

In fact, I'm not really sure what help a publisher could give him. As others have pointed out, the game is getting close to the $1 million range. If he decides he wants to ramp up Minecraft, he could easily hire a full time pixel artist, full time multiplayer architect, etc.

I mean, imagine if there were an artist on the project full time. You could introduce 30+ new creatures and crafting recipes every week. Notch coding their logic, someone else making the assets.

I trust Valve to treat Minecraft with respect, but like others have said, I'm not interesting in firing up Steam every time I want to play, etc.

Hopefully (and this is very likely, honestly), the companies are just fans of the game and want to meet up, without any formal agenda. I think this is most likely a case of Valve and others just being cool and saying "We love Minecraft... let's meet up!" without a specific deal in mind.

I mean, think about it. If Notch hired FIVE people to work under him on Minecraft full time, that would be, what? About ~$300,000 total for a whole year? That would still leave him $700,000 he could keep :lol . And that's at TODAY'S revenue figures, if no one else ever bought the game. He's bringing in over $10K/day o.0

GDJustin said:
I too hope that Notch avoids the temptation to partner with a major pub, unless the terms allow him to remain 100% indie and do 100% what he wants with the project, distribute it the way he wants, etc.

In fact, I'm not really sure what help a publisher could give him. As others have pointed out, the game is getting close to the $1 million range. If he decides he wants to ramp up Minecraft, he could easily hire a full time pixel artist, full time multiplayer architect, etc.

I mean, imagine if there were an artist on the project full time. You could introduce 30+ new creatures and crafting recipes every week. Notch coding their logic, someone else making the assets.

I trust Valve to treat Minecraft with respect, but like others have said, I'm not interesting in firing up Steam every time I want to play, etc.

Hopefully (and this is very likely, honestly), the companies are just fans of the game and want to meet up, without any formal agenda. I think this is most likely a case of Valve and others just being cool and saying "We love Minecraft... let's meet up!" without a specific deal in mind.

I mean, think about it. If Notch hired FIVE people to work under him on Minecraft full time, that would be, what? About ~$300,000 total for a whole year? That would still leave him $700,000 he could keep :lol . And that's at TODAY'S revenue figures, if no one else ever bought the game. He's bringing in over $10K/day o.0
You should bear in mind that Notch doesn't directly receive all of the money from people buying the game, I've heard that a lot of it is taxed and also Paypal takes a percentage of the transactions as well.

I finished my rollercoaster and cleared out a foundation for my castle, but laying obsidian takes FUCKING FOREVER, so it'll still be a while before I make a part 3 of my minecraft diary :lol

It'll definitely be another exponential jump from my last one, though! I've added more to my house and such.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
OgTheClever said:
You should bear in mind that Notch doesn't directly receive all of the money from people buying the game, I've heard that a lot of it is taxed and also Paypal takes a percentage of the transactions as well.

The game has made $753,000 in gross revenue.

Sales are still picking up steam. Notch and MC fans sorta freaked when it crossed 1000 purchases in a day, but it has remained above that level since, and is currently at 1733 purchases in the last day... almost double the number everyone was so happy about. This is $22,529 gross revenue in the last 24 hours.

Paypal takes some, he has overhead with undoubtedly loads of bandwidth, and he's dealing with crazy Euro tax rates.

Obviously it's all speculation how much of this money is ending up in Notch's bank account, but even the most pessimistic estimations would still have to be $250,000 or higher.

~

And that's the total as of right now. That's my biggest point, here. If Minecraft sales IMMEDIATELY dropped to one fourth what they are today, and stayed at that level for six more months, after which time the game never sold another copy, that is still another ONE MILLION DOLLARS in gross revenue.

Point is, he has enough money that if he doesn't want to be a one man shop, he absolutely doesn't have to be and can control his destiny. There is no need for outside publisher help. If I were him, I'd keep doing it alone, though. Minecraft is a quirky game and is clearly the product of his vision. Sometimes even bringing in one more person can muck up the dynamics of something.

Ferrio

Banned
God's Beard said:
I finished my rollercoaster and cleared out a foundation for my castle, but laying obsidian takes FUCKING FOREVER, so it'll still be a while before I make a part 3 of my minecraft diary :lol

It'll definitely be another exponential jump from my last one, though! I've added more to my house and such.

I hate hate hate working with obsidian.

filipe

OgTheClever said:

He's still making a pretty penny. It would be worse if he was going through a big name company.

Ferrio

Banned
Update is up.

Notch said:
First of all, if you’re playing the downloaded game, you will have to download a new version of the launcher from here:
http://www.minecraft.net/download.jsp

The reason for this is that I had to add some authentication bits to the launcher instead of to the game (which is downloaded after authentication), and the launcher can’t update itself yet.

Client changelog:

* Added support for more records
* Added online authentication for online servers

Server changelog:

* The server can now be started in either online/secure mode or offline/insecure mode. A secure server requires all connecting players to first authenticate on www.minecraft.net, then checks that the authentication matches, before letting the player in. A server running in offline mode won’t do any such checks, nor will it ask the client to authenticate, but you can’t be sure that people who connect really are who they claim they are. Offline mode is meant for LAN plan where you know the people connecting to the server.
* Added ban/pardon commands to ban and unban a player from the game
* Added ban-ip/pardon-ip commands to ban and unban a specific ip (you have to kick the player manually)
* Added op/deop commands to add/remove a player from the op list
* Added player ops. They can send server commands by typing a slash followed by a server command. Server ops can also build/destroy blocks near the spawn area.
* Made the server save terrain more frequently

I had some spare time over, so:

Client:

* You can now press enter from the “join server” screen instead of clicking the button
* Fixed a bug with potentially invisible players

Server:

* New command: “tp <player1> <player2>”, moves player1 to player2’s location.
* New command: “save-all” forces a full save to disc
* New command: “save-off” disables all saving (except save-all)
* New command: “save-on” re-enables saving

Philthy

Kuran said:
_he does not need funding_ Minecraft almost made him a million.. and I doubt he wants to hire artists/voice actors for this project.

I never said he needed funding. What I said was any company that had funding would be stupid if they weren't trying to win him over. Whether he wants it or not is ultimately up to him. But at this point you can be certain gears are in motion to clone what he has done, and maybe even quickly surpass him easily with a full dev team at hand. There are so many possibilities with what he is doing that there is room for him to work with people, or stay indie, or do whatever wants. I haven't seen this much indie commotion since the original Doom to be honest. It's really cool to watch it happen all over again. From the released alpha builds up to the full game.

I still bet the dollar will win out, though. Maybe he will get a good deal out of it that will make him happy.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
OatmealMu said:
The new patch broke some features that players added in during Notchs' absence. Not bad overall, though.

What broke? Also I take it you'll be doing testing for a while before its running smoothly? I want to check on that last tree. :(

Though I should say, thanks a lot for hosting your server Oatmeal. I know you put some effort to get it into the shape its in now.

edit: Another update:

TkTech contacted me over IRC and pointed out a flaw in the authentication scheme that would let hackers connect to server a player was last logged into.

This has been solved now by turning the login key into a proper nonce that gets changed every time a new TCP connection is made to the server.

If you worry about name impersonation, I suggest you get this update ASAP.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

My level that I've been working on for 3 weeks won't load. I ran out of iron to make buckets with, so I went to a 3rd Island to find a mine. After a huge trek I found a good cave with everything I want. Iron ore dripping off the walls, lava, water, huge caverns. I suffocate after pulling off about 30 iron ore and a bunch of mushrooms, but it's no huge deal. My bow is gone with about 50 arrows and my last iron pick, but I could replace them in time. But now when I respawn the level won't load. It just hangs at like 1 frame per minute.

FUCK.

My cabin.
My underground mine.
My underground house.
My rivers.
My spiral staircases.
My encampment walls.
My lava moat.
My mountain-bridging rollercoaster that touched the skybox.
My obsidian castle foundation.
My gardens.
My tree stacks.

All gone.

OatmealMu

superbank said:
What broke? Also I take it you'll be doing testing for a while before its running smoothly? I want to check on that last tree. :(

Though I should say, thanks a lot for hosting your server Oatmeal. I know you put some effort to get it into the shape its in now.

edit: Another update:

A few things that involve modding the server .jar are broken. No colors, working furnaces or private messages. Persistent inventories are busted, too. At this rate, the server might not go up today.

Kipe

God's Beard said:

My level that I've been working on for 3 weeks won't load. I ran out of iron to make buckets with, so I went to a 3rd Island to find a mine. After a huge trek I found a good cave with everything I want. Iron ore dripping off the walls, lava, water, huge caverns. I suffocate after pulling off about 30 iron ore and a bunch of mushrooms, but it's no huge deal. My bow is gone with about 50 arrows and my last iron pick, but I could replace them in time. But now when I respawn the level won't load. It just hangs at like 1 frame per minute.

FUCK.

My cabin.
My underground mine.
My underground house.
My rivers.
My spiral staircases.
My encampment walls.
My lava moat.
My gardens.
My tree stacks.

All gone.

I had the same problem earlier. The frame rate improved after I moved a few blocks forward.

God's Beard said:

FUCK.

My cabin.
My underground mine.
My underground house.
My rivers.
My spiral staircases.
My encampment walls.
My lava moat.
My gardens.
My tree stacks.

All gone.

Ouch. You should send your data to Notch, sounds like you put a lot of time into it. I think someone earlier in the thread did that and got it fixed.

OatmealMu

If you can handle inventories that aren't persistent, the server is currently up. Other than player inventory, things seem to work as before.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm back.

I just updated the OP with current multiplayer info as well as a link to the server list posting in the online forum.

Is there anything else people want added to the OP?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
After the latest patch, I took a short boat ride from one of my bases, found a cave, and died. After I respawned, it took forever to put me back in the world, then I was getting like 1 frame every 2 minutes.

Someone mentioned it happening to them, and they walked forward a bit and it went away. How long did you have to wait, when it's giving such a ridiculously low framerate? Like half an hour to go 15 steps?

Even reloading the map does the same to me. Other maps work fine.

Kipe

FlyinJ said:
After the latest patch, I took a short boat ride from one of my bases, found a cave, and died. After I respawned, it took forever to put me back in the world, then I was getting like 1 frame every 2 minutes.

Someone mentioned it happening to them, and they walked forward a bit and it went away. How long did you have to wait, when it's giving such a ridiculously low framerate? Like half an hour to go 15 steps?

Even reloading the map does the same to me. Other maps work fine.

20-30 steps maybe. The new client(?) has a screwed up bug. My game crashed and then I died and lost a half hour of work, my items and I had the slow frame rate at spawn problem.

Blizzard

Banned
Travado said:
My Kaspersky didn't like the new Minecraft.exe file. :/
Notch has infected us all with viruses! First our framerate, next he will take over the world. =(

Side note, has anyone else tried playing the alpha offline? Java said his didn't work when internet was down, but I thought I saw report(s) of it working fine.

stressboy

Well I am now finding myself dead everytime I load the game. I just lost a bunch of stuff because of it.

Also, I am hitting a few spots on the map where the framerate drops bigtime.

nataku

Are there any custom textures that have animated water and lava where they actually chaged both and didn't just use the default?

N-Bomb

Further progress! There has been alot of under-the-hood work which isn't too visible. 3rd floor balconies are done, as is the panorama floor on the 5th. There may be one every 5 floors, I'm not sure. Potential tenants have noted that the safety moat may not be wide enough to prevent all injury. This will have to be looked into.

Night!
1wSe94.Skysrcraper3night.jpg

Day!
1wSgfy.Skyscraper3day.jpg

commissar

Blizzard said:
Side note, has anyone else tried playing the alpha offline? Java said his didn't work when internet was down, but I thought I saw report(s) of it working fine.
Just tested it, no problems :)

So it seems that I'm not the only one getting massive lag for no reason. I'll backup my world again just in case something happens, it's at like 14mb, so many structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom