• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

damn it all.

Had a nice world going, ambitious sky island design underway, 20+ diamonds, 300-ish obsidian, lots of other resources, and then the game decides to start spawning me dead every time I open the file.

OatmealMu

It's a hot, steamy night in Gafland.

18vgl.png

Dragmire

+1 for serious, game-breaking lag at spawn. I'm gonna hold off and hope he fixes it tomorrow.

And nice to see my tower is still there on the GAF server. I gotta log back on and see if the freezing I kept getting was fixed.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Interesting how some parts up top don't seem to have anything built on them, but are rendered.

Is there any buildings above where you cropped the picture?

CoolS

Bought this yesterday because of GAF but didn't really have much time to play yet. Been wandering around and found a mine with some coal. Then it got dark so i made some torches, thinking it would keep monsters away. Then I heard some fucking creepy noices. Turns out a skeletton was coming and killed me with arrows. Night is fucking scary in this game.

I have a question though. I'll probably build a house today, but how do you build a roof? Don't the blocks just drop down to the ground?

Oh and can you change the spawn point?

dejay

Banned
CoolS said:
Bought this yesterday because of GAF but didn't really have much time to play yet. Been wandering around and found a mine with some coal. Then it got dark so i made some torches, thinking it would keep monsters away. Then I heard some fucking creepy noices. Turns out a skeletton was coming and killed me with arrows. Night is fucking scary in this game.

I have a question though. I'll probably build a house today, but how do you build a roof? Don't the blocks just drop down to the ground?

Oh and can you change the spawn point?

Blocks attach to other blocks - they're not affected by gravity unless the blocks are sand, gravel, water or lava. The blocks will even float unsupported if you take some of their attached blocks away, although this might change with later revisions of the game.

You can't change the spawn point in the game, but can do it with Cartographer, the program used to produce the map a few posts above this one.

The thing that Cartographer output from gafland shows most is the lack of torches, if things start spawning... :lol

I can see my little tower and drkirby's flatland, *filled with pride*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BakugekiNZ said:
The thing that Cartographer output from gafland shows most is the lack of torches, if things start spawning... :lol

I can see my little tower and drkirby's flatland, *filled with pride*
Need to flatten the other half, but I figured I would give my self a change of pace after doing nothing but flatting land for two nights straight.

So I planted a farm, moved Iron Tower to Oat's Warehouse, helped Oat dig out the room to place the iron into, then made a small furnace room with 24 furnaces and a work bench that is simi-creaper proof being 3 layers thick (Wood, Dirt in the middle, and then Cobble in the inside), though the furnaces are stacked one on top of anther so the room is useless until furnaces work right.

We really do need to work on placing torches all over the base though, otherwise we are going to get over run by zombies.

Orgun

:( I have major lag since the latest patch as well as burning alive in lava everytime I load the world, no matter where I save.

dejay

Banned
Blizzard said:
I think you actually have to have some tool called Mineedit or something similar.

Ooops, that's what you get for mentioning something you haven't tried yet - apart from skins I haven't done any mods, hacks, etc. Sorry about the misinformation.

TylerD

So I built a 4x6 mine all the way to the bottom of the map to where I hit indestructible rock. Does lava exist on any other levels than the bottom? I have started a bunch of spider mines from the very bottom and have been hitting lots of Redstone. I would hate to all of a sudden unleash a lava flow on me! :lol

I built a shed with all my large boxes, furnaces and my crafting table. My spawn point is close to this island in the sky so I flattened it, replaced the dirt with cobblestone and am working on expanding it to suit my needs for my castle in the sky. My little island is 22 blocks in the air.

This game is amazing and mining is so therapeutic.

TylerD said:
So I built a 4x6 mine all the way to the bottom of the map to where I hit indestructible rock. Does lava exist on any other levels than the bottom? I have started a bunch of spider mines from the very bottom and have been hitting lots of Redstone. I would hate to all of a sudden unleash a lava flow on me! :lol

I built a shed with all my large boxes, furnaces and my crafting table. My spawn point is close to this island in the sky so I flattened it, replaced the dirt with cobblestone and am working on expanding it to suit my needs for my castle in the sky. My little island is 22 blocks in the air.

This game is amazing and mining is so therapeutic.
There can be lava slightly higher up. I have seen exactly two cases where a single bucketful of lava was sitting all by itself noticeably above the level its normally at. Ive never seen a large deposit higher up, and have never seen it very close to the surface at all. theres probably a hard limit on how high its allowed to spawn but such secrets are only known to notch.

TylerD

fredrancour said:
There can be lava slightly higher up. I have seen exactly two cases where a single bucketful of lava was sitting all by itself noticeably above the level its normally at. Ive never seen a large deposit higher up, and have never seen it very close to the surface at all. theres probably a hard limit on how high its allowed to spawn but such secrets are only known to notch.

I know that it can be at least 3 blocks above the unbreakable rock now! :lol Scary stuff. SSssss!!!

On a couple occasions I have seen lava pouring out the side of a mountain, but it's pretty dang rare. It can appear at any level as far as I've seen, but it's much more common the further down you go.

Ydahs

So my university lecturer sent out an email to the people enrolled and added this at the end of the message:

Hope you have another good weekend and that you don't spend too much time building a 16-bit ripple-carry adder in Minecraft.

The hell? Wonder if he uses GAF...

Duelist

Ydahs said:
So my university lecturer sent out an email to the people enrolled and added this at the end of the message:

Hope you have another good weekend and that you don't spend too much time building a 16-bit ripple-carry adder in Minecraft.

The hell? Wonder if he uses GAF...

You have an awesome prof.

Fitz

TheNiX said:
Anyone found any of the updates made to the game today?

Oh crap, quote from his blog. :( Hopefully next week will be a super update, after 2 weeks without anything. Not that I don't appreciate what he's doing with the multiplayer, I'm just eager for new content.

Word of Notch said:
Blah, I failed the Friday update.

There won’t be a Friday update today, because I bit off more than I could chew.

I think I got started with the coding too late in the day. It’s 5 pm now, and I have nothing at all implemented. My first attempt was to do biomes, but that ended up being very slow and very bad (sudden wall of snow for no reason!).
Then I tried doing monster villages, which turned out to be much more complex than I thought. Like seriously a lot more complicated..

Bleh!

The base code I wrote for biomes is definitely usable, but I need to speed it up (easily done), and make it much more intuitive to the player what the current temperature is or so. I could either do a simple postprocessing effect where cold areas have a cool tint (blue), and hot areas have a warm (red) tint, or play around with fog density and color. Or possibly particle effects..

For villages, I need to come up with something clever. It would be great to have small huts with roads and so, but doing that procedurally in streaming terrain is far from trivial, heh.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheNiX said:
Anyone found any of the updates made to the game today?
Blah, I failed the Friday update.
There won’t be a Friday update today, because I bit off more than I could chew.
So most likely the .16_2 just fixes some bugs.

But it sounds like Biomes are on the way. Which means it will Snow in Gafland... Well, 5 miles from Gafland, but still, snow!

Fitz

Drkirby said:
But it sounds like Biomes are on the way. Which means it will Snow in Gafland... Well, 5 miles from Gafland, but still, snow!

Indeed, very excited about that, I've really been wanting to have a Winter world, but I hate not being able to use boats, so best of both worlds it seems. The monster villages sound great too, looking forward to conquering them and taking the loot back to my lair.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Those are some awesome updates. Can't wait until he irons out the kinks and it gets implemented.

I'd like to see human mobs back in, even if all they do is hop around like the pigs and cows.

Dragmire

I was worried that the unplayable choppiness bug wouldn't be fixed today (I can understand that, as he's only one person, but it seemed like it was introduced in yesterday's update). I can't play my game until it is, because I have loot lying around that I have to retrieve. I could use a backup save file, but an entire structure I made would be gone if I did.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Which cliff are you guys clearing in Gafland? I can help you with that later, since I'll need tons of blocks for my new project.

Blizzard

Banned
God's Beard said:
I wanna play! How do i get in?

edit: fuck you guys my game's back whooooooooooooooooooo!
So the 1 fps thing is fixed for everyone who had it? I guess that almost makes up for the lack of Friday update at least. :D I haven't played in like a week, so maybe this weekend I'll have to see what craziness has been going on in the GAF server.

YEEEEEEEEEES!

I went about 2 islands away to get some iron, and I found my first dungeon!

AWW YEAH!

57 moss blocks, 2 treasure chests, a saddle, 4 buckets, some wheat and bread and some bone dust stuff or something. Apparently iron picks won't harvest the generator, though :-(

I really wanted a pig farm.

Blizzard

Banned
God's Beard said:
YEEEEEEEEEES!

I went about 2 islands away to get some iron, and I found my first dungeon!

AWW YEAH!

57 moss blocks, 2 treasure chests, a saddle, 4 buckets, some wheat and bread and some bone dust stuff or something. Apparently iron picks won't harvest the generator, though :-(

I really wanted a pig farm.
That "bone dust" is gunpowder, I'm guessing. Also for anyone who gets pig saddles like me, remember that animals apparently despawn if you get too far away, AND as far as I know it's impossible to get the saddle back once you place it on the pig, AND you can't control the pig at all so you just sit on its back feeling silly right now. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom