• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bitches don't know shit about my obsidian.

XfC91.png

Blizzard said:
Also for anyone who gets pig saddles like me, remember that animals apparently despawn if you get too far away, AND as far as I know it's impossible to get the saddle back once you place it on the pig, AND you can't control the pig at all so you just sit on its back feeling silly right now. :lol

So just ride it forever?

Blizzard

Banned
God's Beard said:
So just ride it forever?
You won't get anywhere fast at all if you ride it forever. You can get in and out of the saddle whenever you want, you just can't get the saddle back in your inventory even if you kill the pig, I believe.

Vinci

Danish
thefil said:
I want to start playing on GAFland, but I've become somewhat attached to my world :(.

Two of my worlds have very design-intensive structures that I'm still working on. Once those two structures are complete, I will likely start playing in GAFland. Not exclusively, but you know... mostly.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I am concerned that Notch might be feeling more pressure as a result of the game's success. First SMP is released very early, and now this secret Friday update.

Hey Notch, it's cool dude. Just keep your head down and keep plugging away and doing whatever appeals to YOU most. Don't feel the need to rush.

We'll still be here <3

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Brazil said:
Which cliff are you guys clearing in Gafland? I can help you with that later, since I'll need tons of blocks for my new project.
A bit late, but its this one:
here.png

There are glass bricks at each conner showing the area being cleared. About half of it is down.

I am concerned that Notch might be feeling more pressure as a result of the game's success. First SMP is released very early, and now this secret Friday update.

Hey Notch, it's cool dude. Just keep your head down and keep plugging away and doing whatever appeals to YOU most. Don't feel the need to rush.

We'll still be here <3
He may have more pressure for SMP, but it was most likely already there when there was only 300k copies sold before the big boom. I think the only reason he commented on the Friday Update is that he had put it in his Schedule he would have it done, and he is down to earth enough to still be willing to explain just why.

I wouldn't have minded the Bioms as "And suddenly, there was a wall of snow!" though, seems Minecraft like :lol

Dougald

Been loving this game, but all the monsters/animals seem to have stopped spawning in my world since today. Kinda takes the fun out of everything when there aren't any zombies trying to bash the door to my cliff-base down! Anyone else come across this before?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Dougald said:
Been loving this game, but all the monsters/animals seem to have stopped spawning in my world since today. Kinda takes the fun out of everything when there aren't any zombies trying to bash the door to my cliff-base down! Anyone else come across this before?
Maybe you accidentally set the difficulty to "Peaceful"?

CoolS

Fuck it, I spent way to much time on this today. My world is very awesome, lots of mountains and stuff. First I build a house, it felt good to be save, The in the morning I opened my door to get out, when a creeper appeared out of nowhere and destroyed half of my house :( Fuck you creeper!

Later I started a little mine in my house, but only found some iron. So I went exploring. Found a cool mountain where I spent one night and was thinking about building a new house, but TONS of animals spawned up there. So I went on and found a nice cliff which I made my second base so to speak. I have been digging for hours, finding the occasional coal and iron. At this point I actually thought if this really is worth the time spent.
The suddenly I heard zombie and spider noises. So I dug in their direction and discovered a fucking huge under ground cave system. Killed some mobs there, and found my first gold and redstone :D Also finally got a bucket full of lava.
I was about to look where I came from when I accidentally touched the lava and died. rushed back there, which took quite some time, and luckily most of my stuff was still there.

Just now I made my way back to the top and made some gold and iron bars. But you really need A LOT of pick axes when mining. Those things break constantly, kind of annoying. Now I quit for today. I'll have to see what I'll do next, I really would lie some diamond and more iron. Does iron ever appear for more than 4-6 ores at a time?

dejay

Banned
My pet project - big hole is big...

DLcco.jpg

lGqnR.jpg

OUdlf.jpg

I figure I'm almost halfway down to bedrock. The area I'm digging seems pretty stable - I've only found three tiny caves near one side of the dig area.

I've kept the sides all the same rock texture as I've dug down, and I'll get rid of the staircase once I've finished. I'll probably then build a tower on top so that you'll see one room from bedrock to the top building limit.

After that I'll start building something inside it - maybe a large complex. I've got plenty of cobblestone to play with!

CoolS said:
Does iron ever appear for more than 4-6 ores at a time?

Not much more than that from what I've seen.

commissar

It's pretty much run minecraft_server.exe, make sure the :25565 port is forwarded and you're playing Survival MP.

It's very early Alpha so there's no day/night cycle, no enemies, forges sort of work so you need to type "/iron" etc.

dejay said:
I figure I'm almost halfway down to bedrock.
Did you check this already? looks more like a quarter is done already not half.

I'm doing something similar but underwater and not that big. I posted some screens earlier here

035.jpg

034.jpg

ZZMitch

dejay said:
I figure I'm almost halfway down to bedrock. The area I'm digging seems pretty stable - I've only found three tiny caves near one side of the dig area.

I did something similar (10x10 hole down to bedrock) and bedrock was 64 or so blocks from the surface for me. So you may not be halfway yet.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Really substantially tried multiplayer for the first time tonight; tracking other people seems much smoother then before. Built myself a nice little tower, and I want to seriously investigate the possibility of a giant canal/rail system underground for easy movement.

Brazil

My huge tunnel across the ocean that will give everyone access to (almost) unexplored areas is halfway done. I'll finish it tomorrow with my brother.

KillerAJD

The_Technomancer said:
Really substantially tried multiplayer for the first time tonight; tracking other people seems much smoother then before. Built myself a nice little tower, and I want to seriously investigate the possibility of a giant canal/rail system underground for easy movement.
Yeah, it was pretty awesome tonight. I ended up decimating a few smaller mountains by myself :lol I felt bad though, every two or three minutes I would spawn myself a new kit for the shovel or pick axe, so I hope I didn't annoy anybody with that.

ZZMitch

NOOOOOO!

Server went and I lost over 100 mossy cobblestone I had collected :((((

This has now happened to me in single player and multiplayer, mossy cobblestone hates me!

Dougald

Brazil said:
Maybe you accidentally set the difficulty to "Peaceful"?

Nope, definitely on "Normal", tried changing the difficulty back again but no luck...

Shame as I put a lot of time into my world, don't think I could be bothered starting again
for at least 2 days

TylerD

Had a lot of fun building in Gafland tonight. I am pretty excited to get on there and work on my structure some more. Good that the server isn't constantly up so I can reflect on what I have done and plan for what I want to do next.

How hard would it be to implement a music mod? Not to undermine what C418 is doing because he's awesome, but I'm thinking about composing some of my own.

Dougald said:
Oh I missed this tonight!

Did you play Multi before playing on your own world? This was it for me. After playing Multi all Spawning was gone and there were no enemies and animals whatsoever. After restarting the game and jumping in Singleplayer right away everthing was fine (errm, no, Creepers scared me to death then :D)

dejay

Banned
Caesar III said:
Did you check this already? looks more like a quarter is done already not half.
ZZMitch said:
I did something similar (10x10 hole down to bedrock) and bedrock was 64 or so blocks from the surface for me. So you may not be halfway yet.

Don't disillusion me! Actually those torches are 10 blocks apart vertically, so I'm 25 or so blocks down from the surface. I said I was close to half way.

Xzior said:
Since people are posting their holes, I will post mine too :p

http://imgur.com/n3fSE.jpg

Here is a nice little time-laps of the excavation.

http://imgur.com/d3ncD.gif

Nice hole! I considered doing a similar time lapse thingy but thought the hole on it's own was enough work.

I don't know what it is, maybe because you remove every bit by hand, but you get a better sense of scale with this game than most FPS games. I could easily cut out a similar size hole in UnrealEd but the scale wouldn't seem quite so apparent.

Mik2121

So.. sorry for being so late and asking something that's probably be asked a few times already but.. is this game only available paying via PayPal?.

Mik2121 said:
So.. sorry for being so late and asking something that's probably be asked a few times already but.. is this game only available paying via PayPal?.
Paypal is the only option at the moment. He's going to add more payment options when it goes into beta (price will be going up 5 Euros as well at that point).

Mik2121

Damn... I will need to setup some Paypal account or something. I've been playing Classic mode for a bit over an hour now and got hooked, and supposedly the latest alpha is so much better, right?..

Wired

Mik2121 said:
Damn... I will need to setup some Paypal account or something. I've been playing Classic mode for a bit over an hour now and got hooked, and supposedly the latest alpha is so much better, right?..

I paid by using a cc, I sure didn't have to log into my paypal account.

Xzior

Mik2121 said:
I bought it through Paypal, with my debit card, and I didn't have to create an account.

Mik2121

Ohhh.. sorry, I've actually never used Paypal :p

Oh well, I'll be buying it in a bit probably. Having lots of fun just building shit on Classic :lol

EDIT - My debit card is not working. Uhm.. I will give it another try later on or else I guess I'll stick with Classic for now.

what the shit. I just bought the game after having a blast on some public servers and everytime it starts up i lose complete control of my keyboard and have to manually restart my computer

Blizzard

Banned
dejay said:
I don't know what it is, maybe because you remove every bit by hand, but you get a better sense of scale with this game than most FPS games. I could easily cut out a similar size hole in UnrealEd but the scale wouldn't seem quite so apparent.
Even on classic, Minecraft one of the (very?) few games that actually gives me vertigo if I get on some rooftop hundreds of feet above the ground and fall off, and it was kind of uncomfortable to jump all that distance down. :/ Like, I don't think Mirror's Edge even bothered me that way.

funkmastergeneral said:
what the shit. I just bought the game after having a blast on some public servers and everytime it starts up i lose complete control of my keyboard and have to manually restart my computer
What OS? Make sure you have the latest Java runtime for starters. http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp#win

Zaphod

I'm having trouble connecting to the GAF server. Do I just put the URL in my browser? I'd ask in the online board but it does not look too busy over there.

Brazil

Zaphod said:
I'm having trouble connecting to the GAF server. Do I just put the URL in my browser? I'd ask in the online board but it does not look too busy over there.
It's not available right now.

Blizzard said:
Even on classic, Minecraft one of the (very?) few games that actually gives me vertigo if I get on some rooftop hundreds of feet above the ground and fall off, and it was kind of uncomfortable to jump all that distance down. :/ Like, I don't think Mirror's Edge even bothered me that way.

What OS? Make sure you have the latest Java runtime for starters. http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp#win

Well it's working now in browser but the downloaded version still messes up.
What is the point of this game in single player? All my prior experience was just messing around with other people online and now I have no idea what to do in single player

Orgun

Mik2121 said:

You can use a debit/credit card, that's what I did. I dont have a paypal account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom