• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

Blizzard said:
Even on classic, Minecraft one of the (very?) few games that actually gives me vertigo if I get on some rooftop hundreds of feet above the ground and fall off, and it was kind of uncomfortable to jump all that distance down. :/ Like, I don't think Mirror's Edge even bothered me that way.

What OS? Make sure you have the latest Java runtime for starters. http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp#win
Seriously!. I've been building this house in the middle of nowhere, and then to take a screenshot I started to make a tower, but instead of just a 1 block tower, I decided to make it like a staircase so that you can climb up always, and once I got to the top I had to make some sort of fence because otherwise it would give me vertigo :/

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
God's Beard said:
I like naming areas of my map.

The Secret Garden.
The River Styx.
Stairway to Heaven.
The Cradle.
The Green Mile.
We should name the different districts in Gafland.

Mik2121

BTW I know nobody here will be impressed, but this is my first building in Minecraft!

Welcome the Seaside Mansion!

3sQp8.jpg

And the Great Tower!

7nje1.jpg

vZKmo.jpg

Yeah... looking from the bottom makes the Great Tower look not so great.. Is the height limit different on the Alpha?

Blizzard

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Well it's working now in browser but the downloaded version still messes up.
What is the point of this game in single player? All my prior experience was just messing around with other people online and now I have no idea what to do in single player
Basically, it's a sandbox game where you try to not get killed by monsters, you collect treasure, and you build/mold worlds into whatever you want while exploring caverns and landscapes.

If you don't like building then you may be bored, but multiplayer projects might be more fun for you!

Sciz

I think I enjoy the dungeon crawling and accumulation of massive amounts of wealth more so than the actual construction, personally.

ZZMitch

funkmastergeneral said:
Oh cool, I'll log onto oatmeal's server today then whenever it goes online. Is there still plenty of open space to build?

Dude, the worlds are practically infinite in size (well actually the max is 8 times the area of Earth but whatever). There are always places to build!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
funkmastergeneral said:
Oh cool, I'll log onto oatmeal's server today then whenever it goes online. Is there still plenty of open space to build?
There's all the space you'll ever gonna need.

TylerD

funkmastergeneral said:
Fantastic. This sounds so much better then screwing around in public classic mode servers.

It is awesome, even if you aren't really doing anything with anybody else just being a part of a MMO Lego world is pretty neat. It is especially cool to walk around and see people gathering materials and working on their structures in real time. The first thing I saw when I got to Gafland was a couple of guys flattening out the side of a mountain. Well, after the special direction indicator we have. I was pretty much sold after that.

I also agree about the vertigo issue. My construction project has me hopping around from column to column 17 blocks in the sky and it definitely makes me a bit uneasy.

OatmealMu

Server's been upgraded with teleport support. You can now teleport to other players if you're a Member. Right now, all players who join the server are a Guest. I'll upgrade the regulars to Member status throughout the day.

As usual, typing !commands will list any new commands.

Ok, getting some solid work done. Having 4 simultaneous projects is really slow, but I promised exponential improvement, and that's how you get it done.

My 3rd Diary won't go up for a while, so here's some ambiguous progress shots to keep you wondering :D

5BaBa.jpg

Itrcn.png

sgnhh

Neo Member
just got done doing some raft exploring with some dudes... good times! that lava flow coming out of the side of a flat rock wall was weird.

Helmholtz

sgnhh said:
just got done doing some raft exploring with some dudes... good times! that lava flow coming out of the side of a flat rock wall was weird.
I explored those caves with you and did a bit of rafting as well :D
I'm going on vacation for two weeks starting tomorow, so not much mining for me until I get back :(.

sgnhh

Neo Member
That was probably the most fun I've had in the game in weeks. I think I like the exploring aspect more than the building. Maybe I can just mine for people on the server and then give them my loot.

Dougald

Caesar III said:
Oh I missed this tonight!

Did you play Multi before playing on your own world? This was it for me. After playing Multi all Spawning was gone and there were no enemies and animals whatsoever. After restarting the game and jumping in Singleplayer right away everthing was fine (errm, no, Creepers scared me to death then :D)

Wow, thanks! I swear I restarted yesterday but after seeing your post I jumped back in for one more look and nearly got mobbed by pigs (which I then may have killed/roasted for HP :D)

Now back to hollowing out my mountain-base!

ZZMitch

Yeah, exploring was fun, after you guys left we found some floating platforms, we built paths connecting all of them and we found a dungeon! :D

Blizzard

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Yeah, exploring was fun, after you guys left we found some floating platforms, we built paths connecting all of them and we found a dungeon! :D
Legend had it that when SMP came out, dungeons spawned invisible mobs that would kill you. Is that the case or was it just a rumor? :lol

Dougald said:
Wow, thanks! I swear I restarted yesterday but after seeing your post I jumped back in for one more look and nearly got mobbed by pigs (which I then may have killed/roasted for HP :D)

Now back to hollowing out my mountain-base!
Glad this worked for you as well :)

Went exploring with ZZmitch, Sgnhh and Helmholtz. We forged our own destinies and were joined by TylerD, who helped us found NewGAFland.

Let it be written that NewGAFland was founded today, that freedom might endure tomorrow.

Project Cradle: complete
Project Green Mile: complete
Project Stairway to Heaven: 90%
Project Styx: 60%
Project Skysidian: 10%

Aww yeah, winding down. Once I'm done with the rest, Skysidian will take me probably a good week to finish, though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
KidGalactus said:
Went exploring with ZZmitch, Sgnhh and Helmholtz. We forged our own destinies and were joined by TylerD, who helped us found NewGAFland.

Let it be written that NewGAFland was founded today, that freedom might endure tomorrow.
Where is this NewGAFland.

And while were are on the topic of where things are, where is my fort in the middle of nowhere. I can't find it :(

Quixzlizx

I created a beautiful snow world today (that had cacti on snowy beaches :lol), but I keep getting hit by stuttering and freeze-in-place bugs :( They are fixed by leaving and reentering the save, but it's happening every 15 seconds or so.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Stuff I've been working on in GAFLand besides adding roads:

spawngarden.png

Trying to make the spawn area nicer to look at. Needs more work. Would like to tear down the cobblestone building on the left, but I don't know who built it.

storage.png

Near Oatmeal's Warehouse; built 2 storage areas and a house on top. Currently contains Coal ore and Mossy cobblestone. Grab some if you need it.

castle.png

Castle near the Lost Numbers.

eggtreehouse.png

And slightly beyond the castle, this...thing.

house.png

Near old spawn.

octopus.png

Random Octopus. Has back door entrance.

And finally, I DID NOT MAKE THIS:

penisman.png

Some giant flat man with a giant penis. Brandst added the...emission.

KillerAJD

Question: In GAFland, there is a large ass wall with about the top 1/3 glass...what is/was that supposed to be? It blocks my bases view to the spawn, :lol Also, I've apparently seen like a tenth of what you guys have all built. It's freaking ridiculous, I'm looking at the map trying to find my "base" and it's a tiny ass spec compared to the rest of the stuff, lol.

Helmholtz

So I came across a mountain not too far from spawn. Decided to cut it in half. After a few hours I dug through most of it. Anyways, if you come across a massive gap in a mountain with 'helm' inscribed in its cobblestone walls, feel free to finish clearing it. I do plan on utilizing this space :p
also I have to check out new gafland and sky city sometime

Project Styx now 80% done, and I'm off to bed :lol

After that, I'm going to need to explore and get some serious iron. I'll need about 25 more buckets if I want to get the final project done in a reasonable amount of time.

KillerAJD said:
Question: In GAFland, there is a large ass wall with about the top 1/3 glass...what is/was that supposed to be? It blocks my bases view to the spawn, :lol Also, I've apparently seen like a tenth of what you guys have all built. It's freaking ridiculous, I'm looking at the map trying to find my "base" and it's a tiny ass spec compared to the rest of the stuff, lol.

I'm probably just gonna tear it down, it serves no value as far as I can tell.
Unless someone gets to it first.

EDIT: Actually I just took down the bulk of it. Felt bad about destroying the glass at the top so I've left most of it for now.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My Crummy attempt at making Enies Lobby from One Piece in Gafland:
lobby.png

lobby2.png

And for comparison
300px-Enies_Lobby-1-.jpg

I spent so much of my time draining that part of the sea, when it was time to build the island I just phoned it in and put a few wood planks and torches down and called it a night.

Would like to tear down the cobblestone building on the left, but I don't know who built it.
That would be me. Go for it, when I made it there was nothing at spawn.

KillerAJD

OatmealMu said:
Something I just noticed, did you blur out Penis Man's penis? :lol

BakugekiNZ said:
I'm probably just gonna tear it down, it serves no value as far as I can tell.
Unless someone gets to it first.

EDIT: Actually I just took down the bulk of it. Felt bad about destroying the glass at the top so I've left most of it for now.
Cool. I honestly didn't care if it went down or not, it just seemed strange that somebody built a big ass wall and left it there with no purpose (well, from what I could see anyways). Plus, it's been like that for at least a few days, so I don't think anybody was actively constructing anything there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom