• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
So, i pushed 3, maybe 4 copies of the game today. One of my friends was "Fuck you" when he realized he had spent his entire evening playing after he was showed it.

Max

I am not Max
Ferrio said:
So, i pushed 3, maybe 4 copies of the game today. One of my friends was "Fuck you" when he realized he had spent his entire evening playing after he was showed it.
I got two friends to get it today as well :lol

"What is this, what's the point?"
to
"This is so addictive!"

Kritz

Banned
Cday said:
Speaking of Dead Space.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2ymso41.jpg[IMG]

[url=http://skins.tkte.ch/]The Skin Index[/url][/QUOTE]

omg [URL="http://minecraft.net/skin/"]skin editor[/URL]

[IMG]http://kritz.net/personal/minecraft2.png

bestest game ever!

Aaron

I pig tried to get into my house today, which is odd considering its on the top of a hill. He couldn't fit through the door though, and when he turned around he gave me a strange look that almost seemed to imply that it was my duty to build houses for his porcine kind. Stupid pig.

Ferrio

Banned
minecraftsmall.jpg

Max

I am not Max
After today's long session of Minecraft I got up to go to the washroom and the moment I looked at the walls down my hallway I imagined that it was three blocks high. I laughed to myself

should really take a break

Billen

Banned
I bought this yesterday after having browsed this thread and having checked all the awesome images, movies and stories posted. Funny thing is that my son, 12 years old, also saw some of the movies and was really excited. Minecraft - fun for the whole family. :)

Now if only mp came out so we could create our own family server. :D

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Found some awesome natural caves last night. Then some cool natural land formations. Then realised i was lost...
Took me a good half hour to get back, but i did find a hiding place at night.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Bought it today after playing the free version. Its so good. I stuck with the first level it gave me.

My strategy was to follow the instructions in the OP and gather wood and coal and all that good stuff. Yeah... that didn't work out. By the time I got a modest amount of wood the sun was setting. I heard a loud noise in the distance and I don't even know what the fuck. The best I can figure is a dragon of some sort. Panic set in as I started farming dirt to build a house.

dirthouse.jpg

Ah yes, my dirt house. Actually I can't even really call it a house seeing as I never lived inside it. Rather, on top of it. I hadn't thought how to make a door so my new strategy was to build dirt stairs to the top and break them as I went up. It worked great and I could see everything around me instead of sealing myself in the dark dirt mound. As night set in my first attacker appeared. It was a spider. Luckily it could not jump 5 blocks high. As it continued to hiss my fear turned to annoyance. I broke a corner off of my dirt mound so I could reach the noisy bastard. I started hitting it with what I thought was a rock (it was wool) and slowly but surely it died. A creeper appeared and I attempted bludgeoning him with the wool as well but this time I fell. Hence the hole in the side. I think those sheep were making fun of my pitiful attempt at a dirt mound as they pranced by.

minecraftwoodhouse.jpg

3-4 days pass and I got the hang of the game. I raze the dirt and replace it with wood (and extend by three blocks. How ambitious). And I figured out how to make a door! Two, even!

mcwoodhouseinterior.jpg

Ah such simple living. Only the necessities. I kept the open roof style as it can get boring in the night sitting in the house. I fell off quite a few times but it was good fun. (Protip: Don't build a house with an overhang. The skeletons can hide under there to avoid burning when the sun comes up.)

By the time I figured out how to smelt glass to fill in the the hole in the roof I was longing for a new location. I followed the clouds north, subconsciously I suppose, and they lead me to...

MCnewhome1.jpg

An awesomely tall mountain. IIRC: "Holy shit... holy shit!" is what uttered out of my mouth. They're so tall the clouds pass through them!

MCyellowflower.jpg

And at the top of the great mountain was a single lonely yellow flower. How elegant and resilient it was. When I build my house I'll be sure to avoid destroying it.

I took a gamble and decided to spend the night up there with no cover. It payed off as I did not see any monsters the whole night. I'm glad I don't have to ugly my house with torches on the outside.

MCnewhome3.jpg

Looking over the edge I discovered a lavafall and a strangely square stone formation. It kind of reminds me of a Lumines block.

So thats where I'm at currently. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can build something on top and if theres an artificial roof I'll just carve into the mountain.

Their really is so much potential for this game. If multiplayer is done right this could sort of be the game I wish MMOs were. It will be really amazing, at least.

Pikelet

I just bought this game, having a lot of fun. But i cant for the life of me build a torch, i place a stick and the little black thingy just as the crafting guide tells me yet it never comes up. arg!

Cday

Banned
Pikelet said:
I just bought this game, having a lot of fun. But i cant for the life of me build a torch, i place a stick and the little black thingy just as the crafting guide tells me yet it never comes up. arg!

Make sure the black thing is indeed coal and not flint.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I bought it, can't wait for multiplayer, had tons of fun playing Infiniminer with people and messing with lava. Nothing like digging a deep hole and breaking the wrong wall, resulting in a lava flood of death.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Lyphen said:
How well does Alpha run on a netbook? I'm thinking of buying it, but I'd likely only be playing it during class breaks at university.
If anyone has had any experiences, let me know.

Ignignort

superbank said:
Bought it today after playing the free version. Its so good. I stuck with the first level it gave me.

Love reading stuff like this, reminds me of the Dwarf fortress thread. More stuff like adventuring logs :D

Nishastra

Banned
This game is incredible. I won't have time to really play it for a while, but I bought it.

Also I love all the skins and stuff :p

Pikelet

Make sure the black thing is indeed coal and not flint.

Your right, of course. Cheers :)

God damn this game is good. I am in the process of building a castle in the sky that is joined by a gigantic bridge to my mine. The most original game i have played in ages, cant recommend it enough.

sophora

superbank said:
MCyellowflower.jpg

And at the top of the great mountain was a single lonely yellow flower. How elegant and resilient it was. When I build my house I'll be sure to avoid destroying it.

Finding stuff like that is so beautiful ;_;

I managed to convince two of my friends to take a chance and get this game while it's still in alpha. We spent all day yesterday in Skype talking and playing it for a good 10 hours for all of us. The first night they had they both were attacked by a creeper that just sneaked up behind them and exploded, had a good laugh about it.

There's something really creepy about the game when it's your first time playing and it turns to night with no torches, monsters lurking around you. One of my friends said he heard a scream off in the distance one of his first nights, not sure if anyone else experienced this yet. It's kind of making me paranoid now xD

Fitz

Anyone have experience with using the Stone Buttons? When used with a door they're supposed to open it for a few seconds then close, however no matter how I place them they seem to just keep the doors open, and just close for a matter of seconds.

EDIT: On further inspection, it seems the don't so much open/close but change position, I have two doors next to each other identically, but flipped horizontally and one stays open, the other closed, which means there isn't a way to have to doors next to each other that stay closed on trigger it seems.

Aaron

Am I crazy or does killing pigs no longer produce pork? Because I have only 1 1/2 hearts left and I'm in desperate need of piggy meat!

In other news, I built a boat and sailed around a bit... this world is goddamn huge! I thought I would run out of sand in the quarry I've been using, but there's a full desert over one of the mountains. I'd love to explore, but right now a light fall could kill me, and I don't want to just take the coward/respawn way out.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Much respect for the peeps creating major construction projects in Alpha (where it is much harder). I built a "simple" three-story house (with proper levels and stairways inside), and it took FOREVER.

It's basically just a box with some windows and a door, but there is a LOT involved in even a simple construction project like this, that people don't consider.

- First off, even simple things take more blocks than people think. My boxy house probably has 200+. They each have to be meticulously placed, one by one.

- Obviously the 200+ need to be mined one by one too.

- But what people *really* don't think about is all the auxiliary requirements for building something like this. It isn't just mining and placing lots blocks: Loads and loads of torches to mine the 200+ stone. Plus loads of stone pickaxes, since they break quickly. This means loads of wood, too. Which isn't always close.

- And of course even a simple three-story home probably represents lots of forced & unforced side-track stuff. I accidentally mined into the underground cave and in an attempt to map it & light it I got lost, etc.

- Lastly, it isn't easy at all to figure out the *indoor* configurations of buildings. Stairs to 2nd levels take up a lot of space, for example. And it can be confusing to mine out the ceiling in the proper way to make sure your stairs work as they are supposed to.

That's why last night I took pleasure in the little things, like building my two-wide storage chests UNDERNEATH my staircases, to save space :lol The first-level one contains essentials like stone and tools. 2nd level chest has saplings and other non-essentials.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I just keep randomly adding to my base at the moment. Few ground floor rooms, may add another floor in this mountain, i've got so much space to play with in there.
Added the lava this morning, thought it would be fun, landscaped the hill so it would fall symmetrically as planned. Left my original wood hut where i built it when i first started this as a reference.
Got plenty of stoves and storage inside at the moment, with a spiral staircase leading to the surface at the top of the hill.

Just a frontal shot:
2dhz76a.png

Can I place blocks in the air? I only spent a few minutes playing so far but was stuck with only the option to stack them on top of each other. That way I would not be able to build up a house without stacking the blocks to later on mine the ones where the rooms should be.

Anyway, this game is so awesome :)

GDJustin

Caesar III said:
Can I place blocks in the air? I only spent a few minutes playing so far but was stuck with only the option to stack them on top of each other. That way I would not be able to build up a house without stacking the blocks to later on mine the ones where the rooms should be.

A block has to be attached to another block when placed

I'm not sure what you mean in general, though. You can build houses without needing to re-mine placed blocks. Simply build up "walls" that have a hollow living space inside. IE a 5-long by 5-tall wall of blocks, connected at the corner with another 5x5 wall, etc. After all four walls are built (leaving a gap for a door) you will have a shelter.

superbank

sophora said:
Finding stuff like that is so beautiful ;_;

Yep. The house I'm building has a a window looking out at the flower. :D

I need some help. I forgot how to make the step stones and they're very important to the construction of my house. I can't move on currently. Help!

Fitz

Caesar III said:

To place a block is has to be touching any side of another block, as in top/bottom or any side. The only exceptions are sand and gravel which need something underneath.

superbank said:
Yep. The house I'm building has a a window looking out at the flower. :D

I need some help. I forgot how to make the step stones and they're very important to the construction of my house. I can't move on currently. Help!

You need cobblestone for steps and stairs, or wood also for stairs.

For steps it's: xxx

For stairs it's:
x
xx
xxx

Is there an easier way of building something like a bridge without carefully moving to the edge, aiming down and adding to it? I keep falling off :(

Dineren

Banned
Baloonatic said:
Is there an easier way of building something like a bridge without carefully moving to the edge, aiming down and adding to it? I keep falling off :(

Not really. You could build up blocks to the level of the bridge and add on to the end and then mine back down, move over, and start again, but that would take forever and would be impossible in many places.

Ferrio

Banned
Baloonatic said:

That's how I do it. Also, armor helps against falls. I fell off my huge tower, thought for sure i was dead... armor saved me.

Fitz

I'm pretty certain armour even reduces drowning damage, handy if you accidentally tunnel under a body of water.

I was building it over water so it's not too bad if I fall, just a bit annoying. I'm planning on having branching rooms and towers on it to use it as my main base.

GDJustin

By the way, I strongly encourage aspiring builders to build with proper STONE and not the cobblestone that is generated from mining:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Furnace
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Stone

It is smoother and in my opinion gives off a more civilized/modern and domestic aesthetic. Things built out of it look like proper man-made structures.

It's crafting recipe isn't too terrible, either. Cobblestone in a lit furnace is turned into proper stone. One coal in a furnace lasts for 8 operations. So you can dump a stack of 64 cobblestone in a furnace with 8 coal, and when you come back you'll have 64 stones.

Of course, this does make the resource gathering process a little silly: stone --> cobblestone ---> stone. But still... my project tonight is going to be to transition my cobblestone structure into a proper stone one, besides a few accents.

re: constructing bridges - building a ramp/scaffold system out of dirt will probably take much less time than you're guessing. Just do it quick and dirty.

Colkate said:
To place a block is has to be touching any side of another block, as in top/bottom or any side. The only exceptions are sand and gravel which need something underneath.
That's what I meant :) So I only tried gravel it seems :lol I wasn't able to place them above me but next to another one so far :)

thx.

Boonoo

GDJustin said:
By the way, I strongly encourage aspiring builders to build with proper STONE and not the cobblestone that is generated from mining:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Furnace
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Stone

It is smoother and in my opinion gives off a more civilized/modern and domestic aesthetic. Things built out of it look like proper man-made structures.

It's crafting recipe isn't too terrible, either. Cobblestone in a lit furnace is turned into proper stone. One coal in a furnace lasts for 8 operations. So you can dump a stack of 64 cobblestone in a furnace with 8 coal, and when you come back you'll have 64 stones.

Of course, this does make the resource gathering process a little silly: stone --> cobblestone ---> stone. But still... my project tonight is going to be to transition my cobblestone structure into a proper stone one, besides a few accents.

re: constructing bridges - building a ramp/scaffold system out of dirt will probably take much less time than you're guessing. Just do it quick and dirty.

Holy shit nice! i didn't know about that, and the ugly look of coble stone was a constant pain. I just started up a new world, too.

Fitz

GDJustin said:

Screw that, bring on glass towers! Only problem is the lack of glass stairs/steps.

superbank

Colkate said:
You need cobblestone for steps and stairs, or wood also for stairs.

For steps it's: xxx

For stairs it's:
x
xx
xxx

Thanks. I didn't even know you could make stairs! Gonna try it now.

Boonoo

superbank said:
Thanks. I didn't even know you could make stairs! Gonna try it now.

I prefer the flat step to stair. You can mount them from any angle. They go well with proper stone, too.

Just 3 cobblestone in a row will make them.

Step.png

Ah, but glass isn't available in Survival.

I can't keep all the versions straight D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom