• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of a neat shot when the world took too long to load(from gafland):

z4dPO.png

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
God, someone gave Megaman a gold penis. I'm going to remove that.

EDIT: And while I was typing that Brandtsk removed it.

Had a blast on GAFland last night, finally found a good spot not too far from the spawn to build my castle. However, a couple questions for you guys.

How do I produce glass? This would make my windows look far nicer
Is there any way to build a boat? I made a small dock at the back of my building because it's on the ocean and would like something anchored in it.

TylerD

I had a great time playing in GAFland all day. Worked on my base, did a lot of exploring and saw all the great stuff everyone is building, helped supervise the founding of New GAFland and we got one whole side of the pyramid site flattened and cleaned up for construction. I wasn't sure if we wanted to use the sand so the water is still there but everything is at the level it needs to be.

funkmastergeneral said:
Had a blast on GAFland last night, finally found a good spot not too far from the spawn to build my castle. However, a couple questions for you guys.

How do I produce glass? This would make my windows look far nicer
Is there any way to build a boat? I made a small dock at the back of my building because it's on the ocean and would like something anchored in it.

You smelt glass in a furnace with a fuel (coal, wood) and sand. You light the furnace with flint and steel by right clicking on it but you have to have a square empty below the furnace or it won't light properly.

Light the furnace with the flint and steel and then put in your sand and fuel and you should be good. Don't let the furnace go out or run out of fuel while your glass is still in there or else you will lose any fuel, raw materials you used and the finished product.

You can build a boat by putting 7 wooden planks in the 3x3 crafting table to look like a big U.

N-Bomb

Afaik - you don't need a flintnsteel to light the furnace - it autolights when it has fuel + RM. Unless this is different in MP or something? That's how it works for me, anyway.

N-Bomb

Quixzlizx said:
I created a beautiful snow world today (that had cacti on snowy beaches :lol), but I keep getting hit by stuttering and freeze-in-place bugs :( They are fixed by leaving and reentering the save, but it's happening every 15 seconds or so.

Okay, glad I'm not the only one this is happening too. Very annoying 10 stories up in the air when this happens constantly. Only seems to happen in one specific area, too.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
N-Bomb said:
Afaik - you don't need a flintnsteel to light the furnace - it autolights when it has fuel + RM. Unless this is different in MP or something? That's how it works for me, anyway.

Furnaces are borked in MP (along with many other things), but there's a workaround as mentioned above.

So would that have been possible in game or not? I've only goofed around a little in the free web version but if I could technically do something like that (even though I never could) I'd be more interested in buying it.

VGChampion said:
So would that have been possible in game or not? I've only goofed around a little in the free web version but if I could technically do something like that (even though I never could) I'd be more interested in buying it.
Absolutely it would be possible, although it would take weeks of non stop work to make, even with a few people.

OgTheClever said:
Absolutely it would be possible, although it would take weeks of non stop work to make, even with a few people.

Ah okay. Sweet. People over at Reddit made it seem like it was only possible with the editor because of hollowed out structures or something. Glad I held off on Steams Fallout deal. I'll get this instead.

VGChampion said:
Ah okay. Sweet. People over at Reddit made it seem like it was only possible with the editor because of hollowed out structures or something. Glad I held off on Steams Fallout deal. I'll get this instead.
You just need to use temporary scaffolding to create the hollowed out structures.

hey so I'm using minecraft on a mac, but i can't seem to figure out how to view my whole map. I tired using the infinite map visualizer thing, but when that loads, it keeps flashing repeatedly, while load a small area of my map, and continue to flash and basically have a seizure. So I'm wondering if there is a way to either fix that, or if there is another program I can use for my mac that will simulate a map for me. Also something to note: I am running minecraft in an application, not through my browser if this makes a difference at all

MNC

Any way to make minecarts work properly in multiplayer. They're kind of sucky in my friend's server but I guess it's the netcode.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MNC said:
Any way to make minecarts work properly in multiplayer. They're kind of sucky in my friend's server but I guess it's the netcode.
Nope. In fact, most of the times I have tried using them I got stuck.

Blizzard

Banned
If I recall correctly, notch said that he was pleasantly surprised to see minecrats semi-working without any effort on his part, basically, and that gave him hope that implementing mobs in SMP would not be as difficult as he had feared. So, I don't think he has even tried to make them work yet, really.

I do really hope he fixes some of the freezing problems people have been having before adding too many more new features, so people don't get too discouraged or upset. Unless I'm mistaken, he fixed the 1 fps problem that people were seeing, so I guess all the map emailing people are doing may be helping. :)

From his Twitter:
Yeah, wolves that howl at the full moon at midnight, and can be tamed for pet dogs... That would be great, and I will add it!
Non-despawning pets/cattle would be great, in addition to animals you can ride around and actually steer. :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
We almost made it to the end of my path before the backup, we were only like 50 blocks away from when I stopped digging

MNC

sw33tclyde said:
How do you print screen the active window alone like this? I used to know the key combination but it's been awhile.
There's a key combination for that!? Holy shit!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I hate it when people cut down only half a tree and leave the top pieces floating in the air.

Especially if it's a tree specifically placed to make the area look nicer. :/

Orgun

Just came across what I think is a skeleton spawner about 3 blocks from my main HQ :lol I did wonder why I could still hear skelies.

How do you destroy them? My sword didnt seem to do anything to it.

Kritz

Banned
It seems like the AusGAFers have partly migrated to using Oatmeal's server, and last night we made a cool little AusGiraffe thing not too far from spawn.

Thankfully Minecraft seems to handle latency really well.

Kritz said:
It seems like the AusGAFers have partly migrated to using Oatmeal's server, and last night we made a cool little AusGiraffe thing not too far from spawn.

Where were you before?

Orgun

Sonofa...

I guess the game wanted revenge after I destroyed a skeleton spawner. I was stocking up on stone and watching a video on tested when I hear "Ssssss". It took me a half second before I realised what it was and obviously by then it was too late :lol

edit: Pro-tip! I just noticed that Creepers make footstep sounds when moving over gravel. I harvesting when I heard something sneaking up on me and it was a Creeper!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Kritz said:

You mean the giraffe WITH A PEEING PENIS.

Blizzard

Banned
Tempy said:
You mean the giraffe WITH A PEEING PENIS.
Minecraft is such an interesting game psychologically. When I used to play on the creative servers, the most active admin was a total jerk, kinda, but it really seemed to be necessary. The ban list was like 200 people long if I recall correctly.

If someone didn't want to take the time to build something, there would typically be two possible actions they would take:

1. Run to delete holes in someone's stuff, if they got there before getting banned. This might especially be true if someone else was actively building something.
2. Construct a giant penis of some sort, possibly attaching it to someone else's building.

I don't know what the penis fascination is, but it definitely seems to be a common theme. It's nice to know we can't get into the server because of people engaged in ongoing phallic construction. :lol

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Kritz said:

The AusGiraffe is right by the entrance to my tunnel - which, by the way, I finished earlier today.

Razorskin

----- ------

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Which one of you losers stole 6 diamond blocks from Megaman?

EDIT: the hell...the warehouse diamond storage has no diamonds anymore. The marking is gone too, replaced by wood.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Oatmeal, what's the plan for the server when SMP gets farther along? Once it's in a more near-final state it seems like it might be a good idea to start a server from scratch, since there are spawned diamond blocks in projects, etc.

But it would also be a shame to lose all that work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom