• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

OatmealMu

Scene from the front:

vDowd.jpg

Warehouse ain't what it used to be.

sgnhh

Neo Member
if you turn down your viewing distance it doesn't crash.

seriously just spent like three hours blasting out a giant crater with xzior and oatmeal. I want to see pics of that thing.

Xzior

sgnhh said:
if you turn down your viewing distance it doesn't crash.

seriously just spent like three hours blasting out a giant crater with xzior and oatmeal. I want to see pics of that thing.
glrAX.jpg

J3soo.jpg

MDKY8.jpg

8sGMo.jpg

FN0SS.jpg

and then the world ended...

Railer

I only visited the server a short while (i was Aludia), and i had no idea on how to get TNT etc and the !info commands and similar didn't work for me. I'm new to the game and it was my first visit on the server. I have to say though, it had some cool stuff.

Megaman shitting lava was my favorite though.

javaw%202010-08-28%2001-39-46-69.png

Now that Oatmeal's server is finished we need to consider the next step for GAFland on a new server, or maybe start a new map from scratch. If nobody has a server available then I suggest we try pooling money together to buy some server space. I would be happy to put up £10 or so, although I don't really know how much this kind of thing costs, and the individual amount we each have to pay will obviously depend on how many are up for it.

Location is another thing to consider so we'll have to look at how many are playing from the US, Europe and so on, then take it from there.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
OgTheClever said:
Now that Oatmeal's server is finished we need to consider the next step for GAFland on a new server, or maybe start a new map from scratch. If nobody has a server available then I suggest we try pooling money together to buy some server space. I would be happy to put up £10 or so, although I don't really know how much this kind of thing costs, and the individual amount we each have to pay will obviously depend on how many are up for it.

Location is another thing to consider so we'll have to look at how many are playing from the US, Europe and so on, then take it from there.
I would happily support a paid GAF server, but only when SMP is completely functional.

Brazil said:
I would happily support a paid GAF server, but only when SMP is completely functional.
I can appreciate that, just for now I want to see how many people would be interested without any other options.

Railer

Working on quite a huge building made out of glass at the moment.
I calculated how many glasscubes i would need, and i need a total amount of 9753 glass cubes to make my building a reality. Time to start melting some sand.

shuri

Banned
for fucks sake, i can't even buy a second copy of a game for my friend who is coming over in a few hours. We planned to play this, and the moron can't keep the server up long enough.

So lame..

Railer

shuri said:
for fucks sake, i can't even buy a second copy of a game for my friend who is coming over in a few hours. We planned to play this, and the moron can't keep the server up long enough.

So lame..

Is it the same problem i had 2 days ago? Trying to create a account and it just loaded for ages?
Anyway, i had it load for like 5 min, and then when i said "fuck it" and went to the main page, i was logged in, even though the account creation never actually said my account was made.

Railer

Hey, I'm willing to put up a Minecraft server, that would run at least 8h / day.
I got 100/100mbit located in Sweden. I just need some help with setting the server up from someone who knows how to do it. I already tried out the Minecraft server software from minecraft.net, but is that all i need?

If anyone got info, post here or PM me.

HappyBivouac said:
Think he's talking about the minecraft.net server, but that's working for me right now.
Ah, I thought it was about Oatmeal's server. Anyway, all Notch can do whilst he's away is reset it due to the overloads and crashes, but he did talk about getting an upgrade soon.

Blizzard

Banned
The minecraft.net server looks to be up for me right now, and the "moron" is out of the country so I think he has said it's kind of difficult to do server fixes/maintenance at the moment.

Blizzard

Banned
Just a heads up...I was just trying to test a SMP server with someone else (we were seeing weird issues where I would have to enter the default port explicitly and even then it would fail after the first successful connection...and it would try to do a name lookup on the IP itself instead of trying to connect to the IP?).

I noticed something disturbing. When you launch the Minecraft client, it sends your password in plaintext to the minecraft website or whatnot as a HTTP request. So, you might not want to use a password there that you use for anything else... I'm assuming Steam's login password is encrypted, right? At any rate, I'm gonna email Notch about it. Not cool.

Railer

Blizzard said:
Just a heads up...I was just trying to test a SMP server with someone else (we were seeing weird issues where I would have to enter the default port explicitly and even then it would fail after the first successful connection...and it would try to do a name lookup on the IP itself instead of trying to connect to the IP?).

I noticed something disturbing. When you launch the Minecraft client, it sends your password in plaintext to the minecraft website or whatnot as a HTTP request. So, you might not want to use a password there that you use for anything else... I'm assuming Steam's login password is encrypted, right? At any rate, I'm gonna email Notch about it. Not cool.

Someone else was me: I'm trying to get a server up and running like i said, so far I'm on my own, so I'm trying stuff. But yeah, password in plaintext is a HUGE fucking disturbance.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
Oh wow yeah that's no good. D: Bad Notch.

OatmealMu

This is the final version of Gafland before the mayhem. Here's how to use it with the vanilla server:

1) Download server from minecraft.net/downloads.jsp
2) Place the server file where you want to run the server from. I created a folder called "Minecraft Server" and put the file in there
3) Run the server once so it creates the necessary files. Your folder should now look similar to this
4) Download and unzip Gafland.zip
5) Place the Gafland folder into same directory as the server files
6) Open server.properties in a text editor
7) Look for an entry that says level-name=world
8) Change it so that it reads level-name=gafland like so

You may or may not need to point your computer to where Java resides. If you use a community wrapper like Zicore's Minecraft Admin this step can be skipped. Llamacraft is another handy tool to have around. It provides added functionality and some anti-griefer fixes.

Twig

Banned
Giard said:
So now it's pretty much confirmed...Notch is meeting Valve
He said he was in contact with Valve and they wanted to see him. Then he said he was going to Bellevue.

It is incredibly obvious and has been known for a while. U:

N-Bomb

Two things I'd like, after spending some time destroying my copy of gafland:

Fire arrows - if you shoot an arrow through a flame or torch or something, it will catch fire and ignite what it hits

Remote detonators - basically TNT that you can detonate remotely with a second button click or something.

Is there some way to regain TNT once placed?

Kuran

Banned
N-Bomb said:

Fire arrows - if you shoot an arrow through a flame or torch or something, it will catch fire and ignite what it hits

Remote detonators - basically TNT that you can detonate remotely with a second button click or something.

Those two things will completely murder any online potential this game has.

Razorskin

----- ------
N-Bomb said:

The closest thing you'll get to remote detonator is a line of redstone starting at the TNT block with a lever, stone button or pressure plate at the end.

Hit the TNT block twice after you've placed it to pick it back up.

Man, sales are just soaring for this game. It's insane. I can't imagine the sales for this game after it gets put up on Steam which I'm sure is part of the reason for his meeting with Valve.

21054 players online, in 602 servers.
451242 registered users, of which 86159 (19.09%) have bought the game.

In the last 24 hours, 13645 people registered, and 3242 people bought the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom